Snap-on Reviews | Glassdoor

Snap-on Reviews

Updated February 8, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great benefits including insurance, EAP, 401k and even a pension (in 9 reviews)

• Good benefits and opportunities for advancement (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, difficult customers can play a part (in 11 reviews)

• Poor work environments except for upper management (in 6 reviews)

1. "Awesome Company to work for"

Current Employee - Productivity Representative in Crystal Lake, IL
    Current Employee - Productivity Representative in Crystal Lake, IL

I have been working at Snap-on full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Treats Employees like Family even for being a big company. Strives towards innovation and creating a better work environment for Employees and Franchisees.

Cons

Cannot think of a Con at this time.

Advice to Management

Continue to innovate and improve the processes, even if it doesn't mean you'll have a HUGE Win, little wins count as well.

"assembler"

Former Employee - Personal Care Worker in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Personal Care Worker in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Snap-on full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay good hours easy work

Cons

The leads trying hitting on their worker and if u ain't talk u don't make it a lot of people didn't make it because of such

Advice to Management

Make sure your leads don't keep getting women fired for not playing with them

3. "Lots of promises followed by a corporate climate that demands relentless hours and demands big numbers"

Former Employee - Techknow Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Techknow Sales Manager

I worked at Snap-on full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Initially started out driving a tool truck as an employee with long hours but made good money as long as big ticket items were sold quickly. Some of the best trainers I have ever met work for Snap On and know how to inspire, lead, and motivate.

Cons

Forced into changing positions and told I would accept my promotion if I wanted to move up in the company. Hours became longer as did travel, bonuses shrunk with new position. Constant fear of Going over DOT hours all reported from a GPS/tracking device.

Advice to Management

Sometimes more pressure does not lead to more production, only fearful employees. Communication failure disconnect between corporate and Franchisees leads to a tug of war for those stuck in the middle

5. "Growing Company"

Pros

Company is growing, decent benefits, and they promote from within.

Cons

Did not offer time off until 1 year of employment which isn't practical. Only received 2.5 hours of PTO per month which was gone quickly given this is a Monday-Friday job and it is hard for setting up appointments. Lack of training and communication

Advice to Management

You need to implement some training courses. It is not beneficial if everyone is trained differently. Also communication is key. This is in regards to all aspects of a business.

6. "Buyer/Customer Service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midland, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Midland, GA

I worked at Snap-on full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great pay and good benefits. Great people to work with in local office. I worked there for 15 years and had great mentors

Cons

The expected growth and workload was unrealistic for the limited number of employees per department. Corporate management's resolve just moved the work around and placed blame instead of adding resources and taking accountability.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people who do the job everyday and dedicate themselves. It's only logical that teamwork actually includes the whole team

"CEO personal wealth grows on the backs of slaves"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Kenosha, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Kenosha, WI

I worked at Snap-on full-time

Pros

Benefits, pay is ok but not if you weigh it against actual hours worked and fear factors

Cons

Long work hours, constant demands to keep up with reduction in personnel. Senior management personal wealth grows while families are ripped apart by layoffs of the personnel that made them wealthy. Only "game" in town so people work there and pray not to be laid off during next "reduction". They want blood but heaven forbid you have work/life issues. Makes me sick that the CEO is applauded for "his" success when all he does is work people to death.

Advice to Management

None... Since they will always have new workers who need jobs that they can chew up and spit out. Employee productivity is fueled by fear...

"Sales Developer"

I have been working at Snap-on full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to work for in terms of benefits, advancement opportunity and retirement potential. Most tenured employees stay with the company 30+ years. Pay is fair depending on the region you are employed.

Cons

Working in an FPT field team requires major dedication. Sales Developers deal with massive workloads and are in a high pressure environment constantly. It is not unusual to work 15 hour days and 70+ hour work weeks while also also sacrificing some weekends for meetings or product movement. You are asked to persuade the franchisees to at times take more product then they can handle which negatively effects their business. Hitting the number at all costs is the only thing that matters.

Advice to Management

Lighten the workload to allow for more effectiveness. Understand that one person can handle only so much of a workload before performance slips. Don't manage from the perspective of fear that if a number is not achieved a person's job is on the line, this paralyzed the employee. Rather manage from a coaching perspective to analyze and help make improvement to improve efficiency. Field employees are the hardest working employees in the company.

"Left the Manager not the Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crystal Lake, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crystal Lake, IL

I worked at Snap-on full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits and decent vacation and holiday schedule. People really, REALLY like working for the company. They like to promote from within. Most people are very positive and fun to work with.

Cons

BIG work load, behind in technology. Manager was very dis-organized which added to an already stressful environment. Pay was low given the expectations. Given projects friday at end of the day and needed completion by sunday evening. Then nothing would happen. I would like to think it is the manager and not the company. Perhaps the biggest con is that a big company like this is letting a manager slip through the cracks and go on a power trip.

Also, there were no resources provided by the company in regards to who to talk to. When approached HR, they referred me to my manager. Bottom line is the Cons outweighed the Pros and it was time to go.

Advice to Management

Do not let small departments slip through the cracks because they are meeting the bottom line. At what cost is the bottom line worth? Expecting employees to work all the time for average pay isn't realistic.

10. "supervisor"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Algona, IA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Algona, IA

I worked at Snap-on full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

financially strong good people, and high quality product

Cons

different business segments do not communicate effectively

Advice to Management

Improve intra business communication

"Equipment sales specialist"

Former Employee - Equipment Sales Specialist in Southeast Owasco, NY
    Former Employee - Equipment Sales Specialist in Southeast Owasco, NY

I worked at Snap-on (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedules, enjoy working with most accounts.
    Work with wide range of people and companies.
    Enjoy time working with Industrial and Military Reps.

Cons

Micro manager, bullying, age discrimination, unreal forecasting, manager only cares about himself and his commissions, has no care for customer satisfaction.
    Tells you after hired, the more you need me the less I need you.
    No MARKETING!
    CRS program is a joke! Modified excel spread sheet.
    Compete against our own company products.
    Do not make anything close to what they tell you! Will spend more than you make at least for one to two years.
    Turn over is at least one person a month in our sales team.
    No chance for advancement. HR protects even the worst managers.
    Poor training and no follow up training.
    No support from franchises that we are told we have to work with. They also cannot stand our manager.

Advice to Management

Look at how the Conway Country Club is being managed!