Snapfish Reviews | Glassdoor

Snapfish Reviews

Updated August 7, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Awesome work-life balance compared to many Bay area companies (in 11 reviews)

• Decent work-life balance / work from home policy (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • No one is really happy except the management may be and at this point it is all about getting a paycheck while looking for opportunities (in 7 reviews)

• Especially when you look around you, everyone else is working just as hard if not harder (in 3 reviews)

"Marketing manager"

Pros

Close knit team
    Fun products to work on

Cons

silohed teams
    Product innovation is slow

"outsourced company"

I worked at Snapfish full-time

Pros

Several employees that truly care for the brand and the customers. Still several areas with people passionate about making a good experience for the Users.

Cons

There is no cohesion or camaraderie in the Engineering organization. For a company where engineering builds the main product, it is the the most disorganized and chaotic environment. 95% of the Engineering staff is from a contracting company (either currently employed or previously) and the Lead/Architect for each group is also from the contracting company. With this setup all design/roadmap discussions are kept within this group (different language too). All engineering managers have completely bought into the idea that no work can be done without the contractors and that is the only way they run their teams. New ownership is not going to change this setup and in fact are digging in deeper roots. For any local engineers there is no future in this.

Advice to Management

Look around, you are in the heart of Silicon Valley. Even if you can't find capable employees in Silicon Valley, take a small section and try to involve a different contracting firm.

Aug 15, 2016 – Sr. HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback.

Since you have left, we have a new CEO and management team who is working to bring cohesion and camaraderie into all aspects of the organization... More

"Great place to work"

Pros

People are great. They care about what they do. Very little in the way of politics - the focus is on the work.

Cons

Sometimes needs more of a strategic vision.

Jul 13, 2016 – Head of Content

Thanks so much for the great feedback! So happy you are here!

"Wonderful Work Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Snapfish full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely nice, genuine people who actually take the time to get to know you as a person, and management who views employees as actual living beings, instead of just numbers on a spreadsheet. I've never met such friendly people at any other workplace. I have always felt welcome here. Also, I don't know about other teams, but my department has a wonderful sense of work/life balance. A+++!

Cons

Office area needs a makeover. There are still a few struggles relating to the recent split from HP, but in time that will improve...it's like getting over a bad breakup ;P

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

"Great Place for the "Right" People"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Houston, TX

I have been working at Snapfish full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Easygoing atmosphere and friendly

Cons

Perception, stereotypes and judgement are used to prevent certain people from having any real success. How condescending is it to be hired on for a position and asked daily do you understand the most basic tasks and when you really need help no one responds to emails or assists. People looking out for themselves and their "buddies" of whom are mediocre at their jobs and brings more trouble to the task than any real solution. Racism is a live and wel in the technology industry full stop...

Advice to Management

Due mandatory audits of all of the minorities and ask them to describe their experiences. Training for Employee and Contractors on diversity, effective communication, and how to keep racist perceptions, stereotypes, etc...out of the work place when making decisions for your company

Aug 15, 2016 – Sr. HR Manager

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback.
    Snapfish prides itself on being a diverse workforce. It is alarming and unfortunately to hear of your experience. If you can connect with me... More

"Highly political, missing strategy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Snapfish full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lovely people who are generally committed to their jobs. Helping people create things with their photos can be really fun. Lots of opportunity for success here

Cons

Way too political. Decisions not really based on data. When competing factions raise issues, the loudest really gets the cake

No real vision means no strategy which reinforces the above operations.

"Depressing work environment"

Pros

Looked like a flexible, fun place to work. There are a lot of people passionate about what they are creating. I joined when it was a part of HP, although there was no HP involvement in any day to day operations.

Cons

Worked on a team that was completely offshore and had a big time difference. Management didn't seem to want to grow a team locally and not sure why they even hired someone in that position. There was no cohesion and very little interaction with the contracting team and absolutely no discussions to be had. They ignored me for the most part which left my day mostly open for other projects. Eventually having to show up to the office was getting hard.

Advice to Management

I have no advice for management, never really looked to deeply into what they were doing or not doing.

"Failing company, toxic work environment."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Snapfish (Less than a year)

Pros

There is a decent work life balance mainly because there is not enough work to go around so people take off early.

Cons

This company doesn't make any money and people are scrambling to justify their jobs. Employees who have been their for 10+ years control things and are not open to change or innovation. Office politics are big here and company management are in constant conflict. There is a high turnover rate because talent is not valued.

"Now free of HP!"

I have been working at Snapfish full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Exciting time at Snapfish - HP just sold us to District Photo (our biggest fulfillment company) who is actually the same company that sold us to HP years ago. Lots of opportunity now to improve the company and get the business rocking again.

Cons

Poor development process that needs to change so we can produce a better website and make improvements faster

Advice to Management

Build a strong US-based development team - outsourcing costs more than it seems to save by producing poor quality code and an excruciating development process.

"Used to be lots of fun, new owners out of touch with tech industry"

Former Employee - Mobile Developer/Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Mobile Developer/Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Snapfish full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The old mobile manager (who left) was literally the best boss I've ever had. It was a great work atmosphere that was a lot of fun.

Cons

There are way too many to mention. Senior (product) managment doesnt care about native mobile so there is very little support. The whole mobile platform always felt like an after thought when it could be a huge part of the buisness. Unfortunatly the code base came from a contractor and is as bad as it could possibly be. It was pretty soul crushing to have to work with every day. In addition the new owners care about only one thing and thats profit, at the cost of alientating the employees that were most core to snapfish. Overall this place really changed for the worse especially for the mobile developers.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate the company enviroment after sperating from HP. In addition you might want to reconsider the fact that mobile web is not what users actually want.