Snyder's-Lance Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Snyder's-Lance Interim President and CEO Brian J. Driscoll
Brian J. Driscoll

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good pay, team environment, very easy on work schedule (in 9 reviews)

• Good benefits Above average pay (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, lack of hours, terrible scheduling with no accountability for errors (in 5 reviews)

• Therefore you have no benefits or company baking (in 8 reviews)

1. "Good learning experience/on the job training and great tuition reimbursement program"

Former Employee - Tech Support Analyst in Hanover, PA
    Former Employee - Tech Support Analyst in Hanover, PA

I worked at Snyder's-Lance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good for entry level people who want to gain experience and knowledge. Ample training is provided. If you come into work with the drive to succeed this place will honor your abilities and help you strive for more.

Cons

The company is dealing with a financial crisis which lead to letting 250 employees go. There was no preparation, immediate termination made it difficult to handle. Management was pretty unprofessional about the procedure.

Advice to Management

Consider the impact of termination without warning, and keep the staff in the loop so it doesn't come as a complete blindside. Giving a few weeks notice helps to prep for another job position before being left with nothing.

"Good 'ol Boys Club"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Snyder's-Lance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There was little micro managing, at least in my department.

Cons

It's a very political environment, where the saying "it's the way we've always done things" reigns supreme. Favorites are played and paid accordingly.

3. "Great Plant Manager but Corporate needs work"

Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Jeffersonville, IN
    Current Employee - Maintenance Technician in Jeffersonville, IN

I have been working at Snyder's-Lance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The plant in Jeffersonville is good to work at. Our Plant Manager listens to us on the production floor and she cares about us. The rest of management is pretty good too.

Cons

Corporate does not seem to know what. their doing. LJ people are not good to work with and make a lot of people think about quitting. The only reason my friends and I stay is because we believe our Plant Manager will figure out how to make it better for us.

Advice to Management

It used to be better place before corporate let LJ tell us how to run our plant. Corporate also moves too many people around. We are all worried they are going to move our Plant Manager or have her travel too much to other plants. We need her in Jeffersonville, IN!

4. "District Sales Manager"

I have been working at Snyder's-Lance full-time

Pros

Amazing products we offer to our customers.

Cons

There are some cons in working every job.

Advice to Management

More opportunities for career advancement.

5. "What a Disaster"

I worked at Snyder's-Lance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

They still have a few good people and some great brands.

Cons

However, there are some truly horrible leaders who not only still have jobs but have gotten promoted?? One guy who recently got promoted before they canned the CEO was about the most awful person you could meet. Would throw his mother in front of a bus to get ahead. I hope his mom is recuperating well. Another truly horrible guy with many complaints against him to HR is still leading a region. Too many people like this. The one guy who should have been President was told he would not move ahead because he wasn't a YES man. HR executives are horrible. The IBO system does not work. You can't keep cutting commision rates and expect guys to bust their buts 6 days a week. Too many soft brands. Tom's, Kruncher's etc. C store was a focus yet they never had the products to develop the channel nationally. Long term strategy is what? The DSM's have the hardest job in the whole company but for the most part getting treated poorly. Read the reviews on here of the sales managers. Values? What values? So disapointing to see two once pretty good companies (Snyder's of Hanover and Lance) become one huge horrible company.

Advice to Management

Let the new CEO (who seems like a sharp guy if you read up on him) make the changes he needs to make to get the company back on track. To him, put the right leaders in the right roles. Get rid of the executives who do not really value the entire organization and its culture. These guys will be easy to find. Set the course for a better company, live the values you set and create a strategy that is a hybrid strategy where you can utilize the IBO system for certain channels and other distributor partners for channel the IBO cannot serve well.

"Growing...but forgetting the employees - becoming about numbers only"

Former Employee - Manager in Hanover, PA
    Former Employee - Manager in Hanover, PA

I worked at Snyder's-Lance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good future, always putting money into the company - purchasing to increase market - lots of hours, if hourly employee - overtime is available year round

Cons

As they grew - they forgot about the employees that help put them there - you are a number only, and easily replaced. Benefits change every year, and are less..bonus programs for supervisors - but numbers are rigged against you.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees - every year surveys are done, yet the same problems exist - you expect the supervisors to fix what the upper management is ignoring

7. "Charlotte Plant"

Current Employee - Bakery Process Operator in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Bakery Process Operator in Charlotte, NC

Pros

Great pay and benefits for the area. 100% vested 401(k), through orientation, easy work, good work/life balance.

Cons

Orientation wasn't focused too heavily on plants history and senior management. Alchemy.

Advice to Management

Continue to grow productive workers and invest in the future of the plant.

8. "Great Place to work"

Current Employee - Packer in Perry, FL
    Current Employee - Packer in Perry, FL

I have been working at Snyder's-Lance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of room for growth! Company continues to grow year after year creating endless possibilities and a steady and stable income.

Cons

Leadership can be a bit unruly. direct leadership needs to connect more with its employees to better address a host of needs and concerns

9. "Great benefits"

Former Employee - Bakery Processing Op in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Bakery Processing Op in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Snyder's-Lance (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits where great and most of the leadership was a pleasure working for.

Cons

Few days off and very selective with punishments for minor site infractions.

Advice to Management

Be more far across the board when it comes to punishments for infractions.

10. "Fast paced environment, great people!"

Current Employee - Director in Hanover, PA
    Current Employee - Director in Hanover, PA

I have been working at Snyder's-Lance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Bottom up -open communication on the Hanover campus. Never a dull moment, friendly co-workers on the clock and off the clock! You work hard, put in effort- you'll get noticed.

Cons

Structural changes every year which can throw you for a loop- but the top, talented people always have opportunities. It is a way to get rid of the slugs.

Advice to Management

Don't mess around with changing reporting structures so much!