Snyder's-Lance Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 20, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Carl E. Lee

Pros
  • Good pay, team environment, very easy on work schedule (in 8 reviews)

• Good benefits Above average pay (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance, lack of hours, terrible scheduling with no accountability for errors (in 5 reviews)

• Therefore you have no benefits or company baking (in 8 reviews)

1. "Ok place"

I have been working at Snyder's-Lance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job moving to Hanover PA

Cons

great snacks and company store so that you can purchase product at reduced price

"All work all the time"

Former Employee - Senior Brand Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Brand Manager in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Snyder's-Lance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are nice. Most just want to do a good job. Not a lot of back stabbing like some big companies.

Cons

They don't give a lot of time off. You feel like you can never get enough done. I know a lot of people work on the weekends.

Advice to Management

Give better work/life balance

"Package Machine Operator"

I worked at Snyder's-Lance full-time

Pros

Good benefits Above average pay

Cons

Long hours. Stressful Unfair treatment

"Warehouse Coordinator"

Current Employee - Warehouse Coordinator in Hanover, PA
    Current Employee - Warehouse Coordinator in Hanover, PA

I have been working at Snyder's-Lance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits, Vacation, Stock Options, Weekly Paychecks

Cons

Too many levels of management... not enough hourly employees to complete the daily work requirements. Warehouse Coordinators answer to District Sales Mgr,& Zone Sales Mgr. Also answer to Regional Ops Mgr & Zone Ops Mgr. Promotions are not given to those who work for it; but, to those who know someone to push them through the ranks.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to those individuals in your warehouses getting the job done! Most of whom are women being overlooked for promotional opportunities. Get more help in the warehouses & trim the management staff!!!

"Managment loyalty towards employees"

Former Employee - Manntenance Mechanic in Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Manntenance Mechanic in Columbus, GA

I worked at Snyder's-Lance full-time

Pros

Good pay and benefits. A lot of hours.

Cons

I worked at Snyder`s Lance for 7 years and 9 months. Out of the blue I was called to the HR office when I went to work on a Monday. I was told I was no longer needed because the company was restructuring. I wasn`t the only one.They let about 50 people go.
    Management had changed hands so many times while I worked there, they didn`t know what my skills were or what I contributed to the company.
    I was told by the plant manager, if they decided they needed me in the future, I would be called back. I saw a add from them needing a maintenance man and I wasn`t contacted.

Advice to Management

New management should get to know they`re employees and what they do.

7. "Consistently inconsistent"

Current Contractor - Independent Business Operator in Little Rock, AR
    Current Contractor - Independent Business Operator in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Snyder's-Lance as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a terrific product mix. Great product with great brand recognition. Possibility of making some really nice money as an IBO. Possibility being the key word.

Cons

Challenges seem to becoming more and more. Aside from the obvious of being an independent operator we now deal with constant and large shortages from the Lance side. Losing all cracker space on our biggest customers modular. Personally haven't seen any signs of the company going the extra step to help keep the IBO in business.

Advice to Management

I will list examples and advice
    1) Losing cracker space in largest retailer in the world
    Advice) Do a better job communicating and working with this retailer. Make whatever upfront fiscal sacrifices needed to insure success for company and IBO on the back end.

2) Large and Constant shortages
    Advice) Simple, FIX IT!! The "excuse" of calling this growing pains is ridiculous. I find it extremely hard to believe the company is growing at such at rapid rate it can't keep up with demand as we are simultaneously losing millions in sales by being removed from the modular in the company's largest customer.

3) Riding the back of IBO
    Example) We were asked to order 5 cases of Snyder's pretzels extra for every retail account we had. We were told this was because Snyder's just paid a little over a billion dollars to acquire diamond foods. So basically IBO was asked to subsidize the purchase for the company.

IBO was informed Snyder's was implementing a "zero void policy" in its largest customer. The only voids that would be allowed were "warehouse outs". I believe that falls under the "do as I say, not as I do" theory.

The company needs to hold itself just as accountable as it does its IBO partners.

Final thought. As with any buyout or merger there are a lot of duplicate management positions. And some positions need to be eliminated. So people are scrambling for their job. Many times I've heard from local management that person "x" is feeling pressure from person "y". This is my belief and I hope all management understands this. In this industry almost every member of management is expendable. But, myself and every other IBO on the street making sales, putting whatever new policy someone in an office came up with into practice and dealing face to face with customers on a daily basis is what keeps this company viable. Point being the ticky tack jockeying for position between Snyder's, Lance and now Diamond management needs to stop. Focus on the product and the people that make it happen.

"Pay is good, but management is very poor and working conditions are bad."

Current Employee - Material Handler in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Snyder's-Lance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Pay is good. After 90 days you get 2 weeks vacation time. A large amount of overtime is offered.

Cons

Hard to make numbers. Equipment poorly taken care off. Management is poorly trained and very unhelpful. Summer is mandatory 12 hour days. This can get exhausting when Saturday's become mandatory also.

9. "IBO distributor"

Current Freelancer - IBO DISTRIBUTOR in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Freelancer - IBO DISTRIBUTOR in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Snyder's-Lance (More than 3 years)

Pros

Independent - work from home - create own schedule (day light) - no time clock punching, when you're done you're done

Cons

while DM assigned to territories typically are helpful, upper management has disconnect from IBO's. It's your business when things go wrong and their business when they have an agenda to meet. Pay is not on par with other similar business models.

Advice to Management

Pay needs to be higher if you intend on keeping what few good route guys you have. I'd like to think I'm one of them and I'm on my way out due to lack of pay.

"Accountspayable II"

Former Employee - Accounts Payable II in Spring Grove, PA
    Former Employee - Accounts Payable II in Spring Grove, PA

I worked at Snyder's-Lance (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent wages and benefits, company growing constantly

Cons

Unstable work environment, constantly cutting jobs to support the bottom line.

Advice to Management

Treat employees as people not numbers

"Rollercoaster ride"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Charlotte, NC

Pros

The compensation and benefits packages are good. Some of the employees are extremely talented and they work very hard.

Cons

Management does not do what they say, don't invest in people. Management by fear. Constant layoffs.

Advice to Management

Staff the company for growth. Hold people accountable, learn to work as a strong team instead of battling each other.