Soap Creative Reviews

1. "creative"

5.0
     in New York, NY

I worked at Soap Creative for less than a year

Pros

amazing culture and creative output, really care about their staff.

Cons

sometimes dysfunctional senior leadership relationships

September 8, 2015Founder

Thanks. Are you reviewing Soap Creative in Australia or the former Soap offices in the USA?

"No longer operating in US as Soap"

I worked at Soap Creative

Pros

cool clients, interesting projects, ping pong

Cons

not enough work, need to sell more projects

January 21, 2016Founder

Thanks for the review. Are you reviewing Soap AU or our former US office (which is now Ludomade) in this review? You don't make it clear? Can you clarify please. Ash

3. "good people"

in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Soap Creative for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work environment. And great people

Cons

little chance of promotion and vertical movement

"Great coworkers but poor management with overblown egos"

2.0
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Soap Creative full-time for more than a year

Pros

The best part about Soap Creative in Dallas was working with very smart and talented people.

Cons

The cons largely center around management/leadership. Management acts a lot like they're in high school and if you do not follow their idea of what Soap is (bro-culture) then you have no place there. They have self-inflated egos and often act petty. Their negative actions are transparent, yet they think that they are smarter than everyone else. It is insulting.

July 29, 2015Founder

Sorry to hear this. As the original founder of Soap in Australia hearing stuff like this makes me sad. Please note this review is for a company now called Ludomade, which still operates in the USA with the same CEO and much the same team. Soap no longer has an office in the USA and the USA office was separate to the Australian operation. You can find Ludomade's Glass Door account on the site which amazingly has all positive reviews. I'd appreciate if the review could be removed and reposted to Ludomade to properly reflect who you are reviewing as it's out of my control to do anything about it and the Soap name should have nothing to do with such a review. cheers Ash (Soap Founder in Sydney)

5. "Finally Liking the Dallas Office"

5.0

I have been working at Soap Creative full-time

Pros

The new management in Dallas has replaced the long time managers that were here for years. Since then, things are much better. We're getting a lot of new work and actually getting it all done right. When I talk to our customers, I get to deal with happy people who want us to do more for them instead of angry ones who don't want to talk to me - a total turnaround from before. We now have a really good collaboration environment where people can work together and get things done as a team, a much better approach, and we're hiring the right people that are real team members instead of "lone wolves". The projects are outstanding and the culture is really getting good.

Cons

The company is changing a lot. The Dallas office was disorganized and confused for years until the current management was hired. Now, it's a lot more focused and we get more done, and make a lot fewer mistakes. It will take a while for the old employees to either change with the rest of us, or just go somewhere else. I'd love to work from home, but until we get the teams changed over, I understand why we need to stay in the office together as much as we can.

Continue reading

"Terrible management ruins what could be a great company"

1.0
    Current Employee -  in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Soap Creative full-time for less than a year

Pros

High profile clients, some interesting projects

Cons

Paranoid and over-controlling management, lack of communication from the top down, no opportunity for advancement (by design), unappreciative of individual contributions, lack of trust and respect for employees, employees are fired without warning and without performance feedback or reviews. Non-flexible work hours with 9am - 6pm being the mandatory core hours.

July 29, 2015Founder

7. "Chill and busy at the same time"

Current Employee - Concept Artist in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Soap Creative full-time for more than a year

Pros

Having a good office culture is a great benefit when it comes to team building

Cons

Original ideas here are rare, but when they do appear it is a lot of fun to work on.

8. "Good place to work"

I worked at Soap Creative full-time

Pros

Talented team Inspiring leadership Interesting and exciting work

Cons

Chaotic at times Average salaries No pay raises for ages

"Talented crew badly mismanaged (SMG Studio)"

2.0

I have been working at Soap Creative full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Really smart artists and developers. Very creative and easy-going people. Nice location of office. Used to have fun events and team-building culture.

Cons

SMG Studio has little hierarchy which makes it hard to know who is in charge of what. Key members have left the team making it hard to recommend as a stable work environment for new joiners. Lack of vision as management turn the ship on a whim.

March 20, 2018Founder

Ash here just want to respond as I find these anon reviews hard sometimes. Note: We'd always like to receive this feedback directly and discuss as many times we have decisions can be explained and issues resolved. But overall I feel responsible and disappointed you have had this experience with us. To clarify: We've lost 3 good people over the last 12 months and from the team of ~20 that's expected, we cant keep everyone especially when so talented. It's always disappointing though. Happy to say most who leave go onto big things and leave better than when they joined. We also pay above the industry average. Have you spoken to other game studios or your peers? I feel we've above the industry. We also have some of the more generous incentives such as the extra week of annual leave, paternity leave for the dads and much more. And for lack of vision... It's been a issue with me on the communication but we've done pretty well so far and taking a longer term view on things + being able to zig/zag when needed is critical to staying around. But this industry changes so fast it's also easy to think we're making decisions on a whim. It's hard not to take this criticism personally and we're always trying to get better at the people skills. I hope you can have a better experience in the future or speak to us directly to try and resolve these.

10. "Producer"

Former Employee - Digital Producer

I worked at Soap Creative full-time for more than a year

Pros

Interesting and very diverse projects to work on. Really challenged to perform at a high level, which makes you a better producer ultimately. People will hire you if you've worked here because it has a great reputation for awesome digital work. Good vibe in the office, they take the work seriously but not themselves too much, which is refreshing in advertising.

Cons

It was easy to get burnt out. Often worked in excess of 10 hours a day while I was there, along with the other producers. Things may have since changed though. Designers and developers are a bit more protected in terms of the pressure and the hours.

October 10, 2017Founder

Hi "Producer" thanks for feedback. I hope this is in relation to the Sydney office and not our former USA office? I also wonder when you worked with us as there's equal pressure across the entire team (not just on producers) to do well but never expectation to work 10+ hrs a day. We have tried to fix the overwork culture we had in our early years and if anything the office is empty after 6.30pm most days. Ash (Founder)

Viewing 1 - 10 of 12 English Reviews