Sobeys Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 15, 2017

1.0
Michael Medline

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Flexible hours, average pay, room for advancement (in 33 reviews)

• Great people and lovely corporate environment (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Don't expect any raises or appreciation whatsoever unless you're full time (in 34 reviews)

• They would schedule me full time but kept me labelled as a part-time worker (in 25 reviews)

"Former Manager"

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Sobeys full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people at store level. That's about the only pro

Cons

Head office has no stability, hiring district mangers that have no perishable experience, another with more human resource complaints then a store full of employees , another brought in from a company that had the exact opposite type of people management skills. Employees are just numbers. Regular staff lose their jobs but head office staff keep theirs?????

Advice to Management

The sobeys family needs to wake up and clean house of all their corporate dead wood .

2. "I don't recommend..."

I worked at Sobeys part-time

Pros

-free meals on christmas and thanksgiving

Cons

- customers got away with too much. someone slapped something out of my hand but still "customer is always right"
    - higher ups were very unreasonable, if you relaxed for 2 seconds after a rush "if you have time to lean, you have time to clean"
    - low pay

Advice to Management

Focus on your employees more.

3. "Working at sobeys is horrible"

I have been working at Sobeys part-time

Pros

Good first time job
    Not hard to learn

Cons

At my location I get "bullied" and "put down" a lot, the management is terrible they dont work to help you.

Advice to Management

Treat everybody the same and to fix some of your locations

4. "Poor Job"

I worked at Sobeys part-time

Pros

Time off when it's needed

Cons

Get called in almost everyday

5. "Unfair treatment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brampton, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brampton, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Sobeys part-time

Pros

Some of workers are nice to work with

Cons

Upper management are discriminative and unprofessional

Advice to Management

Be more professional

6. "Outside sales representative"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I worked at Sobeys full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

None. It's a job that gives you a meager paycheck.

Cons

Toxic environment, micromanagement, they blame everyone but themselves for all of the screwups in the takeover of Safeway. They lost huge accounts due to over pricing, poor service and a dictatorship style of running their business when it comes to the franchisees. They want all of the money to stay at the wholesale level and screw the stores. They mis-ship a product, too bad, you keep it, no credit for you! You are on call 24/7 even when you are on holidays your cell phone must stay on.

Advice to Management

Take off your blinders and realize that there are people out there that actually know how to run a wholesale. Take more advice from your employees, they are the boots on the ground and trust me, you don't know it all. Kind of shows after admitting to your customers that you screwed up but that came 3 years after you screwed up Safeway which was 10 times the company you are.

"Worst Possible Management"

Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Gimli, MB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Produce Clerk in Gimli, MB (Canada)

I have been working at Sobeys part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Semi-flexible shifts but that's it

Cons

Have co workers constantly call in sick, never being told how well of a job your doing, no pay raise, people quitting constantly because of the poor management team

Advice to Management

For starters, treat your employees like actual people and not slaves. Secondly, sit down and talk with them every 6 months to review there work and how they're feeling. Thirdly, pay them based on there work quality, responsibleness, and job experience rather then by time period. And finally, make the job worth while and as fun as possible, and not seem as daunting.

8. "Night shift"

Former Employee - Store Clerk
    Former Employee - Store Clerk

I worked at Sobeys part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid a premium of a whole DOLLAR on top of minimum wage for working overnight.
    Training was pretty decent.

Cons

Severely understaffed, with no evidence that management was making any efforts to fix it outside of normal hiring.
    Because of staff shortage, I was doing 2 - 3 people's work for one person's pay.
    Raises of only a single dollar for 500 hours of work.
    Most overnight workers were being given full-time hours without benefits even though we were part-time workers.
    Strongly anti-union, heard someone got fired for *joking* about unionizing.
    Supervisor made some racist/homophobic comments, and though he later made efforts to reconcile his actions on his own, there were no repercussions from management.
    High-pitched beep that would go off every time a customer walks into the store after 11:30 PM or so. Extremely annoying and distracting.

Advice to Management

One dollar on top of minimum wage is not enough to justify this kind of work, wages should be higher for overnight workers.
    If you're going to make a worker work full-time, make them a full-time worker and give them benefits.
    At least try to make it look like you're looking for new workers. Even just a hiring sign specifying overnight shift would've been nice.

9. "Postal Clerk"

Current Employee - Postal Clerk in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Postal Clerk in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Sobeys part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Well organized work space, lots of inventory, most coworkers are pleasant to work with

Cons

No consistency in hours or shifts, no benefits, sometimes work entire weekend shift (8 hours) alone which I feel is unacceptable for health and safety reasons, employer deducts 1/2 hour unpaid break when scheduled to be at work for 5 hours (therefore only get paid for 4.5), unbelievably long customer lineups during holiday season, outlet is overstaffed but limiting number of hours for each employee (outlet is open 7 days/week-total of 76 hours/week and staffing is limited to 160 hours/week but 80 hours being used by supervisor and one permanent position)

Advice to Management

When I was hired, I was told that a condition was that I would have to work evenings and weekends which I do. Others have been hired since and been allowed to set their own boundaries for hire, including not working on specific days ie: Saturday, and not working evenings, etc. which I feel everyone should be sharing the load equally to be fair

10. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Stellarton, NS (Canada)
    Current Employee - Manager in Stellarton, NS (Canada)

I have been working at Sobeys (More than 5 years)

Pros

Close to home, good building

Cons

A truly dysfunctional corporation. Get ready to be thrown under the bus

Advice to Management

Upper management is weak and ineffective