Social Gaming Network Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chris DeWolfe

1. "Great Company"

I have been working at Social Gaming Network full-time

Pros

Strong creative. Good balance of artistic vision and results-driven production.

Cons

Keep up the flat, results-driven culture.

Advice to Management

Best place i've ever worked

2. "Customer Support Manager"

Former Employee - Customer Support Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Support Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Social Gaming Network (More than a year)

Pros

SGN has many opportunities and it is growing business.

Cons

Level of communication could be improved. This would be an opportunity amongst the different offices.

"Fantastic Company"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Social Gaming Network full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment with lots of like minded and intelligent people. Prides itself on being lean and efficient in every facet.

Cons

It is hard to complain about anything really, but if I had to say something it is that it is getting too hard to remember all the new faces.

Advice to Management

Keep on iterating and moving forward with the various company-wide strategical goals. Make sure to maintain the focus on hiring/acquiring quality like minded people.

4. "The Ideal Startup Gaming Company"

I have been working at Social Gaming Network full-time

Pros

Great management, solid experienced execs that care. High growth, lean, efficient organization and everyone contributes. Everyone is having fun.

Cons

Snacks are all healthy. I really wish we had fatty, deep fried snacks and fatty, tasty frozen foods.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Please get unhealthy snacks though.

"Great Company and Awesome Work Life."

I have been working at Social Gaming Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company that is growing quickly. There's lots of room for growth and to challenge yourself. There is a hugely collaborative atmosphere here and everyone works together as a team to make things better. There's a great work life balance and we have a lot of fun. Also, the new office in LA is a convenient location and has a nice atmosphere.

Cons

No cons that I can think of! I have seen the company change for the better in the past two years and have no complaints.

Advice to Management

Leadership is solid.

6. "Fun start up with great potential"

I have been working at Social Gaming Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Have been here a year and I can honestly say that I really enjoy my job. I have been working in a corporate setting and also tech start ups for years and I really thrive on the atmosphere and culture at SGN. It's a roll-up-your-sleeves and get it done type of place where everyone wears different hats. We have less than 70 employees so it really feels like a start up mentality. They have good perks but not over the top like other tech companies where it seems like they are trying to be overly glossy to overcompensate for something. Great great culture - I genuinely like everyone I work with! It's not fake, forced fun, people actually like hanging out with each other after work and plan impromptu get-togethers such as movie nights, dinners, etc.

There's no territorial attitude with projects, you get invited to sit in on meetings and calls if a manager thinks you might learn something from it.

Perks include catered lunches, paid PPO health insurance, dog-friendly atmosphere, and a great work-life balance environment.

Cons

1. The compensation/bonus structure pay outs could be better. Pay is a lot lower than market value.
    2. There's no employee mentor and retention program. No place for employees to go to. Managers don't seem to listen or often brush off problems as minor things they don't want to deal with.
    3. The company still has start up mentality so there's little structure or processes. As a new employee it's hard to navigate the ins and outs so you have to have common sense in order to figure things out here (which in a way is a pro).

Advice to Management

Pay attention to employees because even though it may not seem like a big issue now, the more we grow, the harder it's going to be to scale the culture here.

"No big complaints"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Social Gaming Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SGN was a good company. They wanted to make clones of top games that had greater funding, so we made clones. That process can be frustrating, because reverse-engineering a competitor's product is often Messy... But that's not an uncommon workflow in ftp games. We had enough backing to make a game together while I was there and it ended up being way more successful than I could have expected! I am grateful for my time there. The money was fine, the benefits were enough, and I got to "wear many hats."

Cons

During my time in the office, the SD branch had issues with scapegoating, and often would obfuscate issues with the product to the mother company. The SD company was a new acquisition, an the SGN transition was a herald of better times. SD's Decision-making was Not a team effort. Often, the expertise of the staff was completely ignored or dismissed. (Laughed out of meetings more than once, Had to fight tooth-and-nail for quality features) I've heard measures have been taken to remove this culture from the office, so that is not likely an issue any longer! It was a very challenging environment to flourish in. Personally, I had to step out and take a long sabbatical to recover from my experience there. I'm sure not everyone has trouble with that sort of thing, and I believe the culture there has improved significantly after my departure.

Advice to Management

Make sure your people are supported, heard, and utilized effectively - One bad egg can really spoil the carton. Browbeating and emotional abuse are the worst. Also I'd be excited to see a more original title from your talented new staff!

"Awesome"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Social Gaming Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Probably the best gaming studio to work for in North County! Cookie Jam is bringing in a lot of revenue making room for growth. We have a new office which is a great environment for being creative and getting work done. It's so quiet and stress free, like a library. Coming off of a period of leadership transition and the new guys are really settling in and making things great.

Cons

If you don't like the occasional nerf gun war or quadcopter buzzing, those would be a con. The landlord so far has been a little annoying, you have to get permission to put anything on any wall. Also we don't have control over most of our lights, if you want some of them off you have to get someone to come turn them off. Also of course no one can agree on the temperature settings haha.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Doing great.

9. "SGN, a review!"

Current Employee - Game Designer in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Game Designer in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Social Gaming Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy going, laid back office culture. Everyone is easy to get along with and SGN provides many great ways for its employees to socialize both in and outside of work.

Cons

Location is not great in regards to commuting, and buying/renting near the office is unreasonable for most.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you’re doing! You hire great people, you and there is a noticeable lack of bureaucracy, which provides ample opportunity for your teams to succeed on their own accord. My only gripe is selfish, in that I wish the office was closer to me!

"Horrible Politics"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Nothing to discuss here because of cons

Cons

Management here is absolutely horrible. They only care about what their needs are and never listen to the team that actually makes the products. They recently fired one of the best employees in the company because they refused to listen to and understand the situation. Instead they keep some of the most horrible employees in the company because of personal reasons. This is a company that does not care for employee happiness and is guaranteed to self destruct.

Advice to Management

Wake up. Stop making personal decisions for the company and think of what your teams need.