Social Interest Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

2.3
Social Interest Solutions President and Chief Executive Officer Robert Phillips
Robert Phillips

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The company has good benefits and gives you holiday pay including a week off for Christmas" (in 5 reviews)

• "Now the new CEO has really been doing good in changing and restructuring the company" (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • "Top management is the worst I have ever seen" (in 3 reviews)

• "The management has no clue what is going on and changes constantly" (in 3 reviews)

"Endless Opportunities!"

I have been working at Social Interest Solutions full-time

Pros

Cons

The endless resources and understanding of career growth!

Advice to Management

Keep it up, good work!

Mar 21, 2018 – Executive Director, Communications

Thank you for sharing your perspectives, and we are happy that SIS can help you continue to grow in your career! We will be sure to share your feedback with leadership.

"Room to improve"

I have been working at Social Interest Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people are great--very collegial atmosphere. Work makes a positive impact on society. Excellent benefits. Starting to see small changes for the better here and there communication and energy.

Cons

Leadership has positive vision and CEO is good one to one, but doesn't pay enough attention to how middle managers carry out the vision. Organizational redesign rough and unfocused even if intention is good. Waiting for a new head of strategy.

Advice to Management

Empower your middle managers to implement the changes you want, and hold them accountable.

"Great ideas, but lacks modern day innovation"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Social Interest Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Mission is centered around helping underserved communities.

Cons

The organization recently underwent a reorganization and is currently unstable. New leadership that surrounds the CEO is passive, petty, and untrustworthy. Shortly after the reorg, staff began missing, including but not limited to the entire HR and Comms team. This continued for months even after the CEO said there would be no lay-offs.

"Miserable and dysfunctional work place"

I worked at Social Interest Solutions full-time

Pros

Medical, vision, and dental are great (Essentially free for employee, 75% covered for spouse and family). Company matches 5% of 403b. Generous time off for PTO, Holidays, and etc.

Cons

Great benefits but probably the most miserable and dysfunctional place to work at. Completely disorganized. Management does not have a clue what they're doing and micromanagement is killing morale. Training is almost nonexistent. They do not provide the tools & resources to do the job right but they expect you to do it anyway. Out dated technology used. Constantly trying to fix problems with bandaids instead of finding the root of the problem.

Advice to Management

Train your managers to be leaders and get rid of the big egos and micromanagement. Empower your employees and trust them (They will become more productive when they are happy), give them the tools and resources they need to succeed.

"One Word - "TERRIBLE""

I have been working at Social Interest Solutions full-time

Pros

Coworkers are friendly. Good benefits.

Cons

Many!!!
    I saw in one of the reviews, "All ideas are taken into consideration, even if they don't fit within the current state of a project." -This is BIG LIE. I strongly think this was posted by SIS communications staff to avoid their rating from going down. The "now management" is just dreamy words and nothing that really helps.
    This is a company for boot lickers. If you keep saying "Yes Ma'am!!!" you'll be protected and promoted (you don't need to be professional or competitive). There is no room for your opinion. If you object you'll either be fired or they will make your job hell.

Advice to Management

Stop lying. Treat employees equally and based on their performance not based on favoritism.

"Current Directors Abhor Ideas, 2- way Feedback"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Social Interest Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have a salary and benefits.

Cons

The incompetent, insecure, and divisive leadership will make you reconsider your job with this org. Ideas are immediately silenced and the "feedback" seems aimed at continuing the record staff turnover of the last 5 years.

Advice to Management

This is a problem at both locations. Look no further than your current directors to see your problems, no matter how many faux interventions you may stage.

"Do not be deceived by the planted positive reviews and spoil your career by joining the company."

Former Employee - Senior Director in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Social Interest Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-Workers are friendly to work with.

Cons

Too many to list, but writing few to help the community...

Company makes false promises to employees and never fulfills them.
    Either you will be forced to quit or will be fired irrespective of the performance.
    Management in IT doesnt even know ABCDs in IT , yet does high talk to only fail resources with very bad planning.
    No transparency and too much politics.

Advice to Management

Please stop the sweet talk and lying to employees.
    Products and solutions are outdated and a burden than an asset.

"Well Intentioned Company with Horrible Leadership"

Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Project Coordinator in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Social Interest Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people who work at SIS are hard working and want to make a difference.

Cons

The management is completely incompetent. A year into a reorganization they officially declared that they have four #1 priority projects. They talk a grand strategy and lofty ideals, but their actions contradict the "really really clear" message.

This inability to establish tactical priorities has ramifications all the way down. Every project is under-resourced and every resource is overworked. It is not uncommon for some employees to work through the night, and management sends demands for work while employees are tucking their kids into bed.

I tried to identify opportunities for improvement and was told on three separate occasions that I could present my work to leadership. And on every instance I was delayed and then blocked before I could present. Leadership pretends they are open and receptive, but really they are closed down and territorial.

Lastly, the recent 5 star reviews are plants if I ever saw them.

Advice to Management

Quit talking honeyed words, and actually show some action. Don't say there won't be layoffs and then have a huge round of them unannounced. When everything is a priority and every person is a client nothing gets done.

"Operations"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Social Interest Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Words cannot explain how much I enjoy working for such an amazing company. (no really) I was a little hesitant to join this organization because of the influence of past reviews. Thankfully, I trusted my gut instinct and made the decision to accept a position here. With the new CEO, leadership, and trajectory, there is no stopping this non-profit. For the first time in my career, I feel as if I am make a direct impact to the community and doing my part to change lives.

Cons

I am too close to a tasty cupcake shop.

Feb 25, 2018 – Executive Director, Communications

Thanks for sharing your experiences, and we appreciate your contributions to SIS!

"Pathetic leadership old and new."

Pros

If you like to work in a sweat shop with no regards to professional or personal life, then great place to work !

Cons

Could write a book why not to join this organisation. Complete disservice to customers. No regards to process, ad hoc patches that break 10 other things and the cycle goes downhill from there. HR is a joke. Very high turnover.

Advice to Management

Very simple. Quit !! Seriously consider and do everyone a huge favor. Advice is given to people who listen and understand.

Feb 27, 2018 – Executive Director, Communications

Thank you for your feedback, and we’re sorry to hear that you did not have a good experience. We are refining processes for customers and employees to provide the best, innovative solutions and we... More