Social Security Administration Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Carolyn W. Colvin

Pros
Cons
  • My advice to you if you have a private sector job that is paying you more to think twice before taking this job (in 14 reviews)

• Micromanagement, no room for growth unless you're in a clique (in 11 reviews)

1. "Enjoyed This Position"

Former Employee - Technical Support Technician in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Technical Support Technician in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Telework, Pay, Benefits, No Micromanager, Not on the phones all the time, OT

Cons

The Cons were the peak season (Oct-Mar) where you are on the phones about 25 days out of the month.

Advice to Management

Everything is not across the board once you get out of training. Some managers are strict than others and some make it harder to get off review once training was over.

"needs improvment"

Former Employee - Benefit Authorizer in Jamaica, NY
    Former Employee - Benefit Authorizer in Jamaica, NY

I worked at Social Security Administration (More than a year)

Pros

- Paid training
    -Opportunity for recent graduates to enter government employment.

Cons

-You are trained one way then asked to do the job in a different manner. Feels like you wasted your time doing the 9 month training.
    - Used scare tactics on trainees that created a environment that was not conductive to learning the job.
    -Many lack professionalism.

3. "Nice agency with the ability to work at home"

Current Employee - Senior Case Technician in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Case Technician in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice mission taking care of those in need

Cons

Positions for advancement are very limited

Advice to Management

Try to think things through before enacting policy, think about how quick decisions will affect everyone in the short term and the long term. The morale of your employees are a direct reflection of those decisions.

5. "Secure employment but..."

Current Employee - Claims Specialist in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Claims Specialist in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This agency is definitely not going anywhere. Job security, as the tsunami of baby-boomers coming in for retirement benefits hasn't even crested yet.

Cons

Limited opportunities to move up or around. This is mostly due to the fact that the agency is in perennial budget crunch. Can't create a real budget living from one continuing resolution to the next. Not everyone, but a significant number of low level managers are incompetent or poorly trained. The result is job dissatisfaction.

Advice to Management

Promote on merit, not tenure. It's not a given that a person who has been faithfully on the job for many years has the people and leadership skills to manage.

6. "Information Technology Contractor"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Woodlawn, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Woodlawn, MD

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging Environment with many complex systems online, batch and client server

Cons

Very little documentation most people who worked on system retired with technical knowledge of systems

Advice to Management

Establish training class of new recruits to learn old technologies along with new technologies tough by the remaining people who know the systems

7. "Secure employment, limited upward movement"

Current Employee - Claim Specialist in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Claim Specialist in Oakland, CA

Pros

With the tsunami wave of baby-boomers having not even crested yet, job security is assured here. The current administration has already committed to not cutting Social Security Administration so the agency remains intact. There is plenty of work and even overtime pay to do it.

Cons

However, there are perennial budgetary issues regarding the agency's operating budget (not SS benefits) every year, oftentimes operating on continuing resolutions. This makes budgeting extremely difficult, especially expansion of services which is sorely needed. Promotions and new positions are difficult to come by. The other thing is that promotions often happen based on tenure, not merit. The consequence is that some supervisors are woefully unprepared or unqualified to manage people.

8. "Fine place to work"

Current Employee - Senior Attorney Advisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Attorney Advisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Social Security Administration (More than 5 years)

Pros

Low stress, flexible work schedule. Always on a liberal leave policy.

Cons

Much lower pay than other attorney positions in federal government. Minimal opportunities for advancement beyond GS-13 level and GS-13 offeres inconsistently, based on budget availability. Little variety in work from day to day.

9. "Review"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Auburn, WA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Auburn, WA

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, do not have to work overtime unless you want to, supportive staff and management wonderful place to work.

Cons

Social security administration is a busy branch of government. We simply do not have enough people to support clientele leading to frustrated clients.

10. "Everything you heard about government workers is true"

Current Employee - Benefit Authorizer in Woodlawn, MD
    Current Employee - Benefit Authorizer in Woodlawn, MD

Pros

Work-life balance (you don't take your work home with you), Salary increases each year, Federal holidays.

Cons

My co-workers at this agency are practically unemployable. I don't know how they even passed the screening phase. Or SSA must have been super duper desperate to fill some seats. You name it, we've got it. We have people who sleep, play on the internet, have dirtier mouths than a sailor, attendance problems etc. But they all manage to keep a job. Why you ask? Nepotism. They either have family working for the agency or they were in some stupid fraternity/sorority with someone in a higher up position. So management will play lip service but never really do anything about problematic employees.

My advice to anyone is to treat this job as a "starter". Come here to get your Federal experience and take that to another agency with a better reputation. Unless it's headquarters, SSA is a ghetto mess. You'd be wasting your time because promotions are slim pickings here anyways. This is why you'll meet someone who has been with the agency for 10+ years but is only a GS-10. That's pathetic. You can start out at certain agencies at a GS-11 with the right background. But as I said, these people would not last in the private sector. So I'm sure they're just grateful to have a job.

There is also so much government waste at this agency it's enough to be make you want to go alt-right. If the public only knew. Cities would be burning to the ground.

Advice to Management

Just pray and pray we never get any REAL politicians in office because a lot of you would be without a job.

11. "Stable but there's a cost."

Former Employee - Claims Representative in Yuba City, CA
    Former Employee - Claims Representative in Yuba City, CA

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Steady work that was local with good lay a day benefits

Cons

Governmental hypocrisy and beuraceacy that I found in contrast to amy own moral compass

Advice to Management

none