Social Security Administration Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Carolyn W. Colvin

Pros
Cons
  • My advice to you if you have a private sector job that is paying you more to think twice before taking this job (in 12 reviews)

• Micromanagement, no room for growth unless you're in a clique (in 11 reviews)

"Do not risk your future (ambition/growth/learning)."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fremont, CA

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Federal holidays, 8 hour work day,

Cons

This is for all the young and ambitious individuals: Do not risk your time and future at SSA. Do not apply to this agency because you will waste your time if you deem your time important. I worked with this agency for three years plus meanwhile seeking opportunities elsewhere. Now that I found another opportunity right now, I left. The manager that hired few employees along me lied to retain us in this agency, promising us as many things as many that you will meet in this agency telling you flowery stories but lie in reality. The nature of work from the top down is extremely stressful and extremely boring. Secondly, this agency lacks proper leadership and management that understands leadership. While an employees' effort is supposed to be recognized, this agency does the opposite. The managers and supervisors keep their employees stuck in one position and do not let their employees grow as they use their employees to produce the statistics they need to answer above. The office I worked in had all employees stuck in one position for over 20 years or so. Each employee, I spoke to in the office complained of not having the opportunity to move on despite their continuous effort. I also faced prejudice and discrimination in this agency. The union proved to be useless as it was unable to resolve any of my matters. The branch I worked in had a manager who made/would make sexual remarks to the female employees, which is why he was pushed to resign to avoid legal action against him. Gladly, the women to whom he made sexual remarks still took him to the court. Many people complained to union for the management not having them promote to next GS level or step for no reasons. The major issues with the agency has been boring work, incompetent management, and gossiping females (majority work force-all elderly women). I also worked under a racist supervisor. She showed extreme prejudice. You will meet many people in this agency who will tell you that they have been “playing this game” for the longest time to be where they are at. This agency also plays another tactful game. They name it as “detail,” which means they will give you a false sense of promotion for few months and bring you right back to the position. My humble suggestion to all of you who want to apply in this agency is to seek employment elsewhere where you are around great people who can nurture you as a professional and those who see your skill set as their strength. Do not waste time here as my time has been wasted dealing with incompetent and prejudiced management that’s extremely horrible. Make a wise move. This agency also lacks proper equipment, means old telephones, old computers, old software, broken equipment. i do not recall a single month where phones worked properly, printers worked properly or had a smooth day. I won't ever waste my time with federal government again.

Advice to Management

Do not use your field office employees to look good for yourself and run them like animals. They work hard and deserve to be promoted. While you as managers and supervisors are scared that you won't get new employees, do not ruin your employees' life by keeping them under your foot.

To the upper management: Have an evaluation team for branch managers and supervisors who play dirty tricks on their employees yet go by undetected. Promote employees on time to the next GS level.

2. "Awful. Run don't walk, away."

Current Employee - Claims Specialist
    Current Employee - Claims Specialist

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Decent pay & benefits; job security. Hours are great; you can show up, put in your eight and a half hours, and then go home to recover.

Cons

Whatever you do, do not work in a public contact position, such as in a field office or tele-service center. The work is extremely boring & monotonous, & you are worked to death. You have to deal with tons of people too lazy to work complaining about how they deserve disability benefits for themselves & their 20 children. Management treats you like a child. You think the work would be professional but it's not; it's more like working on an assembly line with supervisors standing behind you cracking a whip trying to make you work harder & faster, but you can't because there's no time to keep up with the work. You're given endless lists of pending claims & other workloads that you're somehow expected to keep up with, even though you're constantly calling numbers and dealing with the people who walk into the office every day. It's maddening. In addition, you're made to be a type of contract employee for attorney's offices. What little free time you might have is spent doing paperwork & phone calls ensuring that greedy lawyers get their pay before the people who hire them for help get theirs.

Advice to Management

None. Nothing can really be said that will change the culture at this agency in the field offices, except having all of the older higher ups in their cushy management jobs be forced to have to do the grunt work at least one month a year, or have them retire & let a new generation try to improve things.

3. "Teleservice representative"

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time

Pros

It's a government agency with great benefits

Cons

It could be a great place to work if you can choose the shift you can work on. The D tour is a set up for failure and does not allow their workers to have time to handle your own personal affairs or time with family. the shift flex time is 10:15-11am til 6:45pm -7:30. your entire day on the phone. also hard to be advanced out of the TSR

5. "Customer service representative"

Former Employee - Contact Representative in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Contact Representative in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time

Pros

None, for me I just took the first government job that called. I was over qualified for the job and I was bored.

Cons

Not flexible work schedule even your lunch break is set for you. Managers need to take some classes about relating with their employees.

Advice to Management

Stop treating people like they are teenagers and create a work environment that people will actually want to be a part of.

6. "Contact Service Representative"

Former Employee - Contact Service Representative in Auburn, WA
    Former Employee - Contact Service Representative in Auburn, WA

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Accrued sick and annual leave. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Poor management. Tedious & repetitive job. Limited career opportunities. CSR position is capped at GS 8. Inefficient in all processes. Low pay for the amount of work and level of stress faced on a daily basis. Nepotism.

7. "decision writing"

Pros

federal benefits and telework

Cons

All management cares about is production quotas. Not a legal job at all. You don't interact with coworkers.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the quotas and nobody would leave the agency.

"BA"

Former Employee - Trainee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Trainee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Social Security Administration (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work schedule is nice

Cons

No mentorship, empowerment or positive encouragement

9. "Medical Expert"

Current Employee - Contract Physician in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Contract Physician in Orange, CA

I have been working at Social Security Administration (More than 10 years)

Pros

I like having the ability to contribute to the needs of our society.

Cons

The social security administration, and our government, has been grossly negligent and hypocritical in its treatment of contractors in the social security administration. Medical and Vocational Experts have not had an increase in contracted compensation for 30 years. The Office of Disability and Adjudication Review (ODAR) has struggled to find appropriate medical experts to review cases that are in appeal because they are unwilling to increase compensation to anything closely resembling market value. Right now, the time to review a case and testify takes, on average, 3 hours. The payment of $160.00 amounts to about $50.00/hour. By way of comparison, the rate for medical-legal review of a medical case in the private sector is $400 - 500/hour. The government is paying 10% of the accepted and standard rate. The hypocrisy comes from the fact that if a contractor is found to over charge the government, he/she can be banned from government contracts, fined and penalized. Nowhere is the heavy handed, monopolistic and crushing hand of our government seen more clearly than in the social security ODAR system. Appeals to administrators to find out how to change contracts to reflect accepted market rates have fallen on deaf ears.

Advice to Management

If you want to get the right physicians and clinicians to do detailed reviews of cases and save the government money by allow people the time to do the proper reviews, you need to pay contractors at something close to the market rate. Moreover, you need to treat contractors with the same level of fairness integrity that you demand of them.

10. "Pick a different Gov't agency"

Former Employee - Claims Representative in Washington, PA
    Former Employee - Claims Representative in Washington, PA

Pros

If you are fresh out of college, you can gain work experience although chances are its going to be a bad one.

Cons

If you want to be treated like a slave work here. Continuously understaffed. Management rewards their friends, not the hard workers. Good management help employees improve themselves. Management at this agency sets you up to fail.

Advice to Management

Promote from within. Hire more people. Quit rewarding idiots. Treat your employees right and they will treat the clients right.

11. "Claims Rep"

Pros

Great co-workers and clients to work with

Cons

Management, they just don't care. SSA is all about numbers not the disabled people. Some staff do t care about their job just the paycheck

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect