Social Security Administration Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Carolyn W. Colvin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • My advice to you if you have a private sector job that is paying you more to think twice before taking this job (in 13 reviews)

• There is no room for growth unless you snitch, brown nose or sleep with someone (in 12 reviews)

1. "Physician consultant"

I have been working at Social Security Administration part-time

Pros

Flexible hours and work days available

Cons

Poor reimbursement and little support

Advice to Management

Listen to physicians' concerns

2. "Assistant Studio Manager"

Current Employee - Assistant Studio Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Studio Manager

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have fantastic HD equipment and field lighting equipment

Cons

Politics, ego, and red tape prevents the majority of efficiency and productivity and creativity

Advice to Management

Trust and listen to your studio technicians

3. "Stressful, Frustrating Management"

Former Employee - Claims Specialist
    Former Employee - Claims Specialist

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not many. Sometimes can be rewarding when helping people who are grateful. But there are just as many constraints placed on you by the job or unhappy clientele to easily outweigh that benefit.
    Decent benefits for 401k and health insurance.

Cons

Management and coworkers are often in over their head or unmotivated. Work from unmotivated, poor employees is passed onto higher functioning employees.
    Stressful workload.
    Frustratingly difficult computer systems that date back to the 1980s.
    Little to no work from home opportunities.
    Need to move from a bureaucracy to meritocracy.

Advice to Management

Take advice from employees and don't only focus on stats.

4. "SSA"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Saint Louis, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in East Saint Louis, IL

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Time off and pay raises

Cons

working environment and management style

5. "Ruins people"

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time

Pros

Good benefits. Interesting and worthwhile work.

Cons

Too many managers who do not know what technicians do. Union hurts employees and makes an enemy of management. Many employees who do no work get away with it. Most waste taxpayer money and should be fired. But... union.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging. Stop treating everyone like the lowest common denominator. Stop playing mind games. Stop promoting butt-kissers and promote talent.

"Corrupt management, dead end job, best jobs go to family & friends. Soul crushing, dream killing awful experience."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Salary unbeatable, benefits, quick commute. Chance to work credit and some overtime hours from time to time. Secure job, retirement

Cons

Too many to mention. Complete absence of opportunities to advance. Opportunity only exists for well connected individuals. Lack of experience/ education does not hinder connected individuals from advancing.

Advice to Management

They would not heed any advice. Management is deeply corrupt and wholly arrogant in their day to day dealings with staff. In all my years I have never seen a swamp so deep and filthy and in desperate need of being drained.

7. "Run away"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits. There is a cafe inside the build and a corner store that is overpriced. Holidays off and paid training.

Cons

I have worked for the federal government for 10 years. 10 long years where i have wasted my life. I have had only one good manager and she passed. I honestly believe it was because of the stress at this place. There is no room for growth unless you snitch, brown nose or sleep with someone. Management sucks. They don't care especially if you're being sexually harassed. They will protect the man before the woman. The snitch will be believed before the person that was framed. This place is a hot mess. I can't believe that I wasted all of my 20's here. I became bipolar because of this place. Smh. Do not come here. Don't believe the lies of some of the employees because they are the ones sleeping with the managers. Stay where you are. Remember this too whoever is President is your boss....word to the wise.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. And stop rating us low because we didn't kiss your butt or snitch on someone.

"Benefit Authorizer"

Pros

Once you were hired, you didn't need to wear more than your pajamas to work. If you have generations of relatives working there, it may be a good place to stay.

Cons

The worst, most ignorant administrative structure, and most nepotistic hiring practices ever experienced. Rampant corruption in hiring and evaluation. While SSA sells self as employer of the disabled, disabled employees are given worst paying positions, denied adaptive equipment. Higher degrees are seen as threatening. If you have generations of relatives working there, it may be a good place to stay. If you know no one, forget it.

Advice to Management

Get into the 21st century.

9. "Customer Service"

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time

Pros

Benefits, sometimes you really get the feeling of helping the public.

Cons

Union protects employee to a point that management is unable to do there job. Employee's that I work with act entitled. My experience here has been awful coming from the Military. A team environment is preached yet the majority the employees do not function that way, nor do care to.

"Everything you heard about government workers is true"

Current Employee - Benefit Authorizer in Woodlawn, MD
    Current Employee - Benefit Authorizer in Woodlawn, MD

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance (you don't take your work home with you), Salary increases each year, Federal holidays.

Cons

My co-workers at this agency are practically unemployable. I don't know how they even passed the screening phase. Or SSA must have been super duper desperate to fill some seats. You name it, we've got it. We have people who sleep, play on the internet, have dirtier mouths than a sailor, attendance problems etc. But they all manage to keep a job. Why you ask? Nepotism. They either have family working for the agency or they were in some stupid fraternity/sorority with someone in a higher up position. So management will play lip service but never really do anything about problematic employees.

My advice to anyone is to treat this job as a "starter". Come here to get your Federal experience and take that to another agency with a better reputation. Unless it's headquarters, SSA is a ghetto mess. You'd be wasting your time because promotions are slim pickings here anyways. This is why you'll meet someone who has been with the agency for 10+ years but is only a GS-10. That's pathetic. You can start out at certain agencies at a GS-11 with the right background. But as I said, these people would not last in the private sector. So I'm sure they're just grateful to have a job.

There is also so much government waste at this agency it's enough to be make you want to go alt-right. If the public only knew. Cities would be burning to the ground.

Advice to Management

Just pray and pray we never get any REAL politicians in office because a lot of you would be without a job.