Social Security Administration Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Carolyn W. Colvin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • My advice to you if you have a private sector job that is paying you more to think twice before taking this job (in 14 reviews)

• There is no room for growth unless you snitch, brown nose or sleep with someone (in 12 reviews)

1. "Good Goverment position"

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time

Pros

People environment, knowing that work is always available .great hours , rewarding career with a lot of opportunities

Cons

Equipment needs updating. Management needs to be more open to staff suggestions, lack flexibility need more training hours and staff

2. "Claims rep"

Current Employee - Claims Representative
    Current Employee - Claims Representative

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance. Pay. Sometimes get to help people in actual need

Cons

Bureaucracy. Advancement based on time in and not performance. Inability of management to do anything about lazy and ineffective employees due to unions and government red tape. Learn just how broken and abused this system is and why it is going belly up.

Advice to Management

Executives need to actually listen to financiers and economists on how to save this program. Stop being politicians, take a business course and learn how to properly run one.

3. "Customer Service Representative"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jackson, MS
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jackson, MS

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Leave accruals are great compared to other companies, flex time allows a lot of flexibility for mothers, and you're never bored at this place!

Cons

It is all about who you know and are friends with. If you're friends with management, you have a clear track to the top. If not, well, no matter how hard you work or how good you are, you're told you can do more!

I have watched them hire multiple ppl in positions I could've been promoted and then even asked to train them! Lol and let's not even talk about the workload.

If I knew then what I knew now I would not have put al of my eggs in this basket. It is a great stepping stone but I wouldn't have invested so much. You live and you learn!

"Great benefits, but buyer beware."

Former Employee - Claims Representative in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Claims Representative in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits with flex time.

Cons

Outdated computer system used to take claims; mediocre management; no incentive to do more than the minimum; co-workers who are barely competent and receive the same pay as those who shoulder the majority of the workload on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Listen to your top performing employees and clean out those who just show up to collect a pay check.

5. "Great place to work if you're in the right office"

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time

Pros

Training, Opportunity for growth, benefits. I give a lot of Cons below, but you can make your time there more rewarding if you enjoy it and put in the effort. That is a Pro that can outweigh the Cons.

Cons

Cog-In-The-Machine, thankless support (from public, coworkers, management), the typical levels of red tape to advance/grow (unless you're in the right office or know the right people). Punch-clock even though paid salaried/exempt. Most employees did not care about the public, or they were too jaded to summon empathy. However, if you care about the public, it is a good place to work.

6. "Slow to change. Good benefits."

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time

Pros

Offers lots of vacation time and credit time which is helpful for work-life balance or if you have kids. good heath insurance. If you are a self-starter and have a lot of initiative, you can find opportunities to build your skillset, but promotion might be a challenge.

Cons

Hiring is contingent upon the budget package and has many authorities that limit who can interview and this means that they don't always hire the best, most hard working people. Work is extremely high in volume. If you are ambitious and hart working and proactive, get ready to hear "be patient" a lot - this is maddening. this agency is BIG and slow to change.

Advice to Management

Improve hiring constraints so that it is easier to find and hire quality people. All employees should have to perform 100% of the time, make it easier to fire people if they don't do their job, everyone should have to perform well 100% of the time regardless of their tenure.

7. "Claims Service Rep"

Former Employee - Claims Service Representative in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Claims Service Representative in Oakland, CA

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helping people. SSA will pay for Bart. Job security.

Cons

Management. Terrible place to work.

Advice to Management

Be honest.

"Claims Specialst trainees beward"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time (More than a year)

Pros

benefits, salary tragectory, at least over the first three years. you can work with earphones. although it is a warehouse of pods atmosphere.

Cons

spotty training, moody mentors, time pressure, antiquated system (still using DOS), entrenched thinking, no outside the box. everyone is just enduring until they retire. the job can be drop dead difficult at times, trying to calculate B
    Y HAND, benefits gone wrong.

Advice to Management

Ease up on new trainees. You break their spirit with your outlandish expectations/requirements e.g. meeting daily case quotas. How can a newbie be a specialist? It takes YEARS to know all that stuff. Allow some new ideas to be instituted. Current managers are deaf to suggestions. DEAF.

"Corrupt management, dead end job, best jobs go to family & friends. Soul crushing, dream killing awful experience."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Salary unbeatable, benefits, quick commute. Chance to work credit and some overtime hours from time to time. Secure job, retirement

Cons

Too many to mention. Complete absence of opportunities to advance. Opportunity only exists for well connected individuals. Lack of experience/ education does not hinder connected individuals from advancing.

Advice to Management

They would not heed any advice. Management is deeply corrupt and wholly arrogant in their day to day dealings with staff. In all my years I have never seen a swamp so deep and filthy and in desperate need of being drained.

10. "SSA"

Current Employee - Program Analyst in Woodlawn, MD
    Current Employee - Program Analyst in Woodlawn, MD

Pros

Learn a lot very diverse

Cons

Management tends to block good workers from advancement