Social Security Administration Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 17, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • My advice to you if you have a private sector job that is paying you more to think twice before taking this job (in 14 reviews)

• There is no room for growth unless you snitch, brown nose or sleep with someone (in 12 reviews)

1. "Medical Expert"

Current Employee - Contract Physician in Orange, CA
    Current Employee - Contract Physician in Orange, CA

I have been working at Social Security Administration (More than 10 years)

Pros

I like having the ability to contribute to the needs of our society.

Cons

The social security administration, and our government, has been grossly negligent and hypocritical in its treatment of contractors in the social security administration. Medical and Vocational Experts have not had an increase in contracted compensation for 30 years. The Office of Disability and Adjudication Review (ODAR) has struggled to find appropriate medical experts to review cases that are in appeal because they are unwilling to increase compensation to anything closely resembling market value. Right now, the time to review a case and testify takes, on average, 3 hours. The payment of $160.00 amounts to about $50.00/hour. By way of comparison, the rate for medical-legal review of a medical case in the private sector is $400 - 500/hour. The government is paying 10% of the accepted and standard rate. The hypocrisy comes from the fact that if a contractor is found to over charge the government, he/she can be banned from government contracts, fined and penalized. Nowhere is the heavy handed, monopolistic and crushing hand of our government seen more clearly than in the social security ODAR system. Appeals to administrators to find out how to change contracts to reflect accepted market rates have fallen on deaf ears.

Advice to Management

If you want to get the right physicians and clinicians to do detailed reviews of cases and save the government money by allow people the time to do the proper reviews, you need to pay contractors at something close to the market rate. Moreover, you need to treat contractors with the same level of fairness integrity that you demand of them.

"Government Worker"

Current Employee - Social Insurance Specialist in Woodlawn, MD
    Current Employee - Social Insurance Specialist in Woodlawn, MD

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Full range of health benefits, job security, multiple career paths. There is access to lots of career training. Variety of job functions with different paces, types of work.

Cons

Promotion potential is extremely competitive with hundreds applying for few positions. Management has too much control over your career choices. Unfairness in hiring process and in many cases seems racially driven, or driven by favoritism ,some bosses are micro managers or gate keepers of agency perks. Very difficult to follow desired career paths, can become stuck or stagnant. Young college graduates are more likely to get promoted regardless of job knowledge or experience. Management overturn is frequent and affects building relationships, performance ratings and ultimately lowers employee moral.

Advice to Management

Hiring choices and methods, management practices require more oversight from higher level mgmt.

"Pick a different Gov't agency"

Former Employee - Claims Representative in Washington, PA
    Former Employee - Claims Representative in Washington, PA

Pros

If you are fresh out of college, you can gain work experience although chances are its going to be a bad one.

Cons

If you want to be treated like a slave work here. Continuously understaffed. Management rewards their friends, not the hard workers. Good management help employees improve themselves. Management at this agency sets you up to fail.

Advice to Management

Promote from within. Hire more people. Quit rewarding idiots. Treat your employees right and they will treat the clients right.

"Benefit Authorizer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Flexible schedule, location and government employment.

Cons

Management, pay, stressful job! Micromanagement, no room for growth unless you're in a clique!

5. "Legal Case Assistant"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant, Case Tech in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant, Case Tech in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Felxibility in work/home balance. Easy to use your leave

Cons

No room for advancement

Advice to Management

Promote from within more often

"Love my work and my colleagues"

Current Employee - Attorney in Braemar VII, AZ
    Current Employee - Attorney in Braemar VII, AZ

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Serving the American public, stewardship of government resources, autonomy, family first work-life balance, collegial environment. For the most part, I find my day to day work to be extremely engaging. I feel like I have the flexibility to tend to family and personal issues when they arise without repercussion

Cons

Lots of rules and requirements and formalities, not always receptive to new ideas, the agency is a bureaucracy, with procedures and practices set in stone. My first couple of years with the agency were difficult. I definitely felt like there was something akin to hazing, directed particularly at employees who had been hired from the private sector/ outside law firms. Things got much better after I had been there a few years And was no longer treated as an outsider.

7. "Legal Assistant"

Former Employee - Legal Assistant, Senior Case Tech in Fort Wayne, IN
    Former Employee - Legal Assistant, Senior Case Tech in Fort Wayne, IN

I worked at Social Security Administration (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible Work Hours, Large Case Load, On The Job Training, Work At Home Opportunity, On Site Security, Fully Automated Environment, Team share the workload. Sunshine Club Membership Available, Benefits Available at reasonable cost,, Overtime when Available

Cons

Cases are repetitive, Office Equipment not able to handle the workload creates lots of malfunctions. no promotions beyond GS 8 Level only 5 position available at the GS9 Positions unless willing to relocate.

Advice to Management

create more upward moblity

"Benefits Authorizer"

Former Employee - Benefits Authorizer in Jamaica, NY
    Former Employee - Benefits Authorizer in Jamaica, NY

I worked at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flex time
    Overtime (when available)
    Government benefits (i.e. time off, work/life balance)

Cons

No growth- you will be a gs-09 for a minimum of 4 years and even when you are promoted its only to a gs 10. Then you may be held at a gs-10 position for another few years before you get to gs-11
    There's a ton of micromanaging going on, you are treated like school children as opposed to an adult at a job
    opportunities for details are limited to the favorites

Honestly I'd take the job temporarily and then continue applying to other federal jobs in the interim. Look for ones that cap at a gs 11 or 12, which are a TON of jobs out there once you have your bachelors degree.

Advice to Management

Expand opportunities
    Don't micromanage so much
    Push for all of your employees

"Supportive Coworkers"

Former Employee - Legal Intern in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Legal Intern in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Social Security Administration (Less than a year)

Pros

The coworkers were very supportive during a difficult time in my life. The management was understanding and allowed me time off.

Cons

Such a large campus, it took a long time to get from parking lot to office. On average, I had to spend 10 min from pulling into parking lot, to getting to my office.

Advice to Management

The management was wonderful. Please just keep up the same efforts.

10. "Typical Government Job"

Current Employee - Disability Claims Adjudicator II in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Disability Claims Adjudicator II in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Social Security Administration full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Job security, decent pay, retirement, decent working environment, loose dress code, great coworkers, some fun events, occasional bonuses decided by the legislature

Cons

Highly politicized environment, rampant favoritism, management rarely fulfills promises or communicates with employees, loose dress code, lack of a team environment, departments are extremely territorial and do not respond well to any form of constructive criticism or suggestions

Advice to Management

Communicate with employees. Promise a standing desk or ergonomic equipment? Actually come through on what you promise. Displacing employees so you can remodel a section of the agency? Maybe communicate the timeframe for construction. Finally, have a clean desk policy or something, because you are barely compliant with even the most basic privacy and information security regulations.