Social Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Social Solutions Chief Executive Officer Kristin Nimsger
Kristin Nimsger

Pros
  • Growing - While the growing pains and recent acquisition has its downsides, the company is growing steadily and has a solid future (in 4 reviews)

• The best part about the company was the fun committee activities (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of transparency for a long time from upper management (in 7 reviews)

• Need more personnel for the amount of work done (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Growing Company, Positive Changes"

I have been working at Social Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There seems to be an emphasis on growing Social Solutions through hiring smart, creative individuals who are passionate about what we do. My team is very collaborative and hard-working. Working on a motivating and encouraging team has been a great experience. Management has been very transparent thus far about strategic changes that have been made to grow Social Solutions not only from a revenue standpoint but from a cultural, employee based standpoint. 100% employer paid health benefits and a generous starting Paid-Time-Off plan are great perks. Quarterly volunteering opportunities that don't require using PTO are another benefit of working for a mission focused organization.

Cons

There could be more clearly defined career development plans and perhaps a better performance review system in place.

Advice to Management

Keep being transparent about changes within the organization and keep up the emphasis on attracting good talent. This will happen if you continue building a great culture and environment.

May 5, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your response. We're glad that you are enjoying your employment here with Social Solutions. Your feedback regarding career plans is a great point and something that we have recently ... More

"Best place I've ever worked"

Former Employee - Tied I Support Representative in Middle River, MD
    Former Employee - Tied I Support Representative in Middle River, MD

I worked at Social Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is awesome. Admitting you don't know the answer to something and working with coworkers and managers is encouraged and never shamed. The coworkers are supportive and fun. It's not a highly regimented workplace -- you can get up when you want to, take your computer outside or wherever to work, etc. They REALLY want their employees to be happy, to the point that they have a "fun committee" whose sole purpose is to come up with little and big ways to improve moral; extravagant parties, a rec room, movie nights, you name it. If you don't take advantage of their kindness, they are very understanding about medical or mental health issues. I was very ill right at the beginning of my employment (due to pregnancy) and they made lots of accommodations to make it easier to get my job done. If you need more training, you're given training. Lots of growth opportunities and anyone remotely competent who starts at the bottom jumps up the ranks quickly. The benefits are great (your insurance doesn't even come out of your paycheck!), the pay is fair, and the hours are reasonable. This is a GREAT company for parents, as no one bats an eye when you need to work from home to take care of a sick kid or whatever.
      This is also an excellent environment for LGBT folks, as the company is unabashedly queer positive; there are LGBT people in middle and upper management, they threw a little party when gay marriage was made legal, and a non-gendered bathroom was put into the office specifically to give trans employees another choice of bathroom (although they could use any or all of the bathrooms.)
      By and large, there are very few slackers. Almost everyone is giving their A game every day.

Cons

If you tend to slack off when you don't have enough structure, don't take this job. The easy going atmosphere can lull you into a false sense of security and before you know it you're out the door. You have to be self motivated and interested in expanding your skill set.
      The work itself is somewhat dull, but challenging at the same time.
      The company is sort of young and growing, which creates a backlog of a lot of bugs and such. There's not enough people or hours in the day to keep up with it all, even though everyone is highly motivated and doing their best. It's not always clear who is responsible for what.

Advice to Management

Offer your programmers more competitive pay to get more and better programmers in the door -- most problems in the company seem to stem from them struggling to keep up with bugs, making everyone else's job much more difficult.
      Give at least partial refunds to customers who are angry when everyone can agree that Social Solutions has made some kind of error that has greatly harmed the customer. I feel that's the ethical way to deal with mistakes.

"Great Experience So Far!"

I have been working at Social Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First of all, the people who work here are great. I really enjoy working with my team, and have had positive overall experiences interacting with other departments.

I've also found that working for an organization that focuses specifically on non-profits and the public sector is really rewarding. I've absolutely been encouraged to get out into the community to learn more about our customers through our Volunteer Impact Program, even though I'm not customer facing.

I've also personally experienced a lot of support for my career aspirations and goals from my managers. When I've expressed interest in learning about other parts of the business, I've been encouraged to pursue those interests and never had to worry about negative repercussions.

The benefits are pretty great - I don't pay anything for Medical, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance. There's an HSA match that I think matches up to almost $1,000 annually so that helps with out of pocket expenses on our High-Deductible plan. Again, love the VIP program. Also, 17 days of vacation per year to start is pretty great.

I also really like our Work Hard Play Hard Committee - we get to do fun stuff a few times a month, and it's nice that the company recognizes that some relaxation and fun interaction is important.

Finally, even though there has been some change since I started less than a year ago, I feel comfortable with the communication we've received from our Leadership about the direction that we're moving in. I think they're making good strides towards transparency and accountability.

Cons

As I mentioned, I feel that our Leadership is taking some good steps to improve transparency and communication, but I think there is still some room for improvement as in most organizations. Also, I'd like to see some of our departments work a little more effectively with each other - I think increasing communication would be a good first step.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work on making improvements!

5. "3-year "veteran" moving through the ranks"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middle River, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middle River, MD

I worked at Social Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you really try and take ownership of your work, there is real opportunity to succeed;
    PTO is often extended over the summer;
    401k match;
    HSA match;
    Free individual health insurance;
    Flexible in scheduling time off;
    Possible to work remote or from home if discussed in job interview;
    Turnover results in possibility for advancement;
    Flexible with "lateral" career moves to other departments, etc.:
    Open to new ideas;
    Flexible with use of cell phones, etc.;
    Open to cell, internet reimbursement, etc.;
    Occasional opportunities for travel;
    Raises are given to individuals who excel;
    Fun office environment;

Cons

401k match is not the best;
    3-year employment required for full vestment in 401k match;
    A lot of turnover;
    High-deductible health insurance;
    Expected to get work done and work nights and weekends if necessary;
    Organization and processes change frequently;

Advice to Management

Show some more love to good employees that have stuck around and treat folks personally

Mar 27, 2017 – VP of People

Thanks so much for the feedback. Very happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at Social Solutions and had opportunities for growth and advancement. There’s definitely a culture of work hard, play ... More

6. "Growing through change"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Social Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Change - Since starting with Social Solutions I have felt empowered to drive change within the organization that will impact our employees and our customers. Just because “we have always done something” does not mean we should continue and the folks at SSG understand that.

Culture – With an influx in hiring there are a lot of new faces in the company. We’ve had regular happy hours and events to engage employees and make sure that we are building relationships both inside and out of the office. Having a ping pong table and basketball game has been great for driving friendly competition and taking a quick break throughout the work day.

Transparency – We receive regular communication from the Executive team to keep us informed. The information that is shared is both the good and the bad. I’ve never felt as though the executives are trying to hide anything from myself or my colleagues. Our weekly “View from CEO” email does a great job of providing cross functional insight.

Mission – We aren’t selling magazines. At Social Solutions, we are providing a product that helps to change the lives of it’s program participants. Even further than our product, SSG provides 8 hours per quarter for our Volunteer Impact Program where employees can take time off to give back to their communities.

Cons

Change - The company has gone through some process improvements and a few changes in management. I’m listing this as both a pro and a con because while I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, I know that for some folks change is never easy.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower employees. We work with some very intelligent people and by giving them ability to suggest and make changes the company will continue to see growth.

May 10, 2017 – VP of People

Thanks for the feedback. One of our five core values is to “Be Innovative” – which means we constantly strive for excellence and are unconstrained by the way things have always been done. It is great ... More

"An Honest Review of Social Solutions"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Social Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only real "Pro" I can give this company - and the only reason it's not 1 star - is the fact that nearly everyone who has left has moved onto a better job with more pay and the promotion that they deserve, but were not given at Social Solutions. This speaks to the varying degrees of responsibilities you will hold, the level of work you will do, and the skills you will build while working for them. What you do there will help you earn a better job at your next employer, but Social Solutions WILL NOT give you a better job no matter how much you deserve it.

Cons

It's a laundry list but I'll touch on the biggest things. People are losing their jobs to the Austin office either through layoffs or by being forced to quit... They have literally hired several employee's positions in Austin while you are still employed.

You will be given increasing responsibility with no expectations of a raise. In fact, they only offer "Cost of Living Adjustments" each year instead of raises. This is a fixed 0% - 3% pay increase each year, so tell me why I should be motivated to work hard the entire year for a chance at 3% more pay?

There's no innovation on the product side. Since acquiring Apricot software back in 2015, no significant product enhancements have been made. Instead, old features are re-launch as "NEW" or they modify the implementation process and claim that it is a "Major Milestone."

On the topic of their product, the enterprise software ETO is riddled full of bugs and was built on a platform created back in 2005. Social Solutions is constantly fighting a losing battle by paying bottom-dollar for Developers and then letting go of Senior Development Leadership in Baltimore as they purge the company in their transition to Austin.

A few other quick-hitters to consider:
    • They WILL pay you lower than the average salary for your position, be careful negotiating too well because they will look to hire your position cheaper as soon as possible.
    • Promotions only happen after layoffs, they typically include a title change with a minimal salary bump.
    • "Career paths" are best view as the Great White Buffalo, always talked about but never actually materialize into anything.
    • The company is all about making money now, and the mission statement "We help people transform lives" used to mean something to management but is now an afterthought.

Advice to Management

My advice is for an potential SSG job candidates. Please read the reviews on here, I mean the honest ones from veteran employees and not the ones people getting bullied into doing after they've been at the company for a month. Know what you're getting yourself into before accepting the position.

Above all else, if you decide on Social Solutions as your new employer, use them as a stepping stone for your career because THEY WILL take advantage of you during your time there.

Feb 7, 2017 – VP of People

Thank you for the feedback and review. There is certainly room for us to improve on the career pathing front and we’re investing a lot of time and energy into that this year. We hire a ton of early ... More

"Mission Focused Company with an Amazing Culture!"

I have been working at Social Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The culture is fun and collaborative
    - The mission of the company is great, and most employees seems to believe in it
    - Leadership is awesome
    - Start up feel with the support of Vista makes for an exciting environment

Cons

-Sometimes feels unorganized, probably due to fast growth

Advice to Management

Keep it up, you're awesome

"Memorable people...and that's It."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Joppa, MD
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Joppa, MD

I worked at Social Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

To a majority of people, the most important about working for a company is what surrounds you on a daily basis; and I agree for this reason as to why it was great to work at Social Solutions. The people who you meet and work with in this company are some of the smartest, and the majority of them are concerned for your well-being.

Your direct manager ( depending on where you are in the company ), tend to be on your side and care about you, most managers are fairly easy to talk with, and share your opinions freely.

The company is in a happy median of a mix between start-up and a corporate environment, which has it's bonuses and negatives. Fun activities were often shown in the office, as well as the general relaxed dress code was something everyone appreciated, but that's sadly where the good stops.

Cons

The company makes every effort to claim 'transparency', without backing it up. Back in early 2016 dozens of employee's were laid off, and this was just repeated again in early 2017, without warning! Some of the best employee's who have done the best work were jobless without warning and very little explanation as to why. Direct managers tend to be some of the kindest and easy to work with people, but when they also get let go with you...makes you wonder why. The higher up the corporate ladder you go, the less I would suggest trusting them.

If someone is working at Social Solutions for more than a year, they're considered to be a "Veteran", it really shows you that either they're let go, or realized that they're severely underpaid ( it's very common to see people make 20%+ under what is 'expected' for the role you're in. Higher management and recruiting WILL lowball you on your original offer, they also require you to explain your current salary to use that in their attempt to get you for as cheap as possible, so negotiate before getting hired, as raises are rarely seen.

Throughout my time at Social Solutions, the culture steadily went downhill. At the end, people were scared to leave at 5, people were scared to be seen not working, despite having a 'fun room' in the back, it's rare to see anyone back there. People were encouraged ( or forced depending on who you ask ) to avoid taking lunch breaks, and work throughout lunch.

It's also very comical that it is widely known that their flagship software is full of problems and bugs, yet they decide to lay-off half of the development team working with it, and devoting themselves to try and improve it.
     If you are interested pursuing a career in this company, I highly suggest not applying to any Baltimore positions, as it seems the Baltimore office is what management considers to be obsolete, as 99% of the new 'careers' (if you can even call them careers since it's rare to see anyone make it past 3 years of employment), are in Austin.

Advice to Management

I would say retain your top employee's, but it seems that no matter how well the employee does, the Baltimore office seems to be growing thinner and thinner, despite what we were told. I truly hope the best for the employees despite how the direction of what the company seems to be, as they were the ones who are responsible for the growth and overall culture of the company that everyone loves.

10. "Great management, individual responsibility, and a great culture"

I have been working at Social Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's important to differentiate between a company and a team. Generally, I find my coworkers throughout the company easy to work with, committed to the business's goals, and quick to take on new initiatives and understand the larger impacts of a cross-functional project. Feedback from coworkers is always constructive, and most of those I've worked with are proactive in identifying solutions and better business practices.

As for my own team, Product Management, I have rarely been happier with a group of coworkers. The whole team is approachable and we have a relaxed yet focused group of individuals on the team. My immediate manager does an excellent job of asking what do *I* want to do, what skills do *I* want to improve, how can I use my existing knowledge to achieve our goals? He has a collaborative and effective management approach. The SVP to whom he reports is also incredibly approachable and open with the whole team in providing context for our initiatives. Both individuals are very intelligent and happy to teach.

Cons

There are no cons at this time that I feel impediment my work or happiness at the company.

Advice to Management

Keep being open, communicative, and approachable.

Dec 14, 2016 – HR Director

We’re thrilled you’ve had such a great start at Social Solutions! We agree that the relationships we have with our co-workers and manager are the ones that define an employee’s experience and that ... More

"Turning the corner"

I have been working at Social Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The work you do makes a real difference in the world. Company is growing quickly and that means opportunities for smart people to succeed. You get exposure to Vista Equity Partners which can create new opportunities at different companies down the road. They are really starting to invest in making the products much better.

Cons

Never enough people or budget to go around. Office amenities are pretty limited. Health coverage is only so-so, 401k match is only so-so, etcetera. You get the idea. They did a layoff about a year ago and that really negatively affected morale.

Advice to Management

Keep over-communicating. Keep hiring good people. Watch out for toxic people, as there are some.

Nov 8, 2016

Social Solutions is particularly proud of our work with nonprofits and government agencies. Keeping up with growth is something that we strive to achieve. We’re excited about the opportunities that ... More