Social Solutions Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Social Solutions Chief Executive Officer Kristin Nimsger
Kristin Nimsger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Great people and culture with a large addressable market" (in 14 reviews)

• "Relaxed atmosphere, good work/life balance, and everyone really seems to enjoy what they do" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "This company no longer cares about the non-profits it's supposed to serve" (in 5 reviews)

• "Everyone I know and value at the company has left, or was let go" (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company"

I have been working at Social Solutions full-time

Pros

I love working at Social Solutions! The culture is really interesting - data driven software company that's motivated by a passion for helping nonprofit organizations. There are so many options for career pathing (you can move up through your current department or try out other departments that interest you). I love how small the company feels - you get to know everyone very quickly. I play ping pong and video games in the break room regularly and attend a company happy hour at least once a quarter.

Cons

The only con I've seen is not having a gym in the building, but there's a gym coming in November and there are treadmills in one of the conference rooms, so not a big deal.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Keep looking for ways that our business can expand.

Social Solutions Response

Jul 11, 2018 – VP of People

Thanks so much for your feedback, excellent to hear that you're having a wonderful experience and enjoying our data-driven culture! You are correct about that gym coming to the Austin office this... More

2. "Friendly Environment With Fun Benefits"

Current Employee - Tier I Apricot Support in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Tier I Apricot Support in Austin, TX

I have been working at Social Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is heavily involved in employee morale. Lots of events, happy hours, incentives, and communication.
    Pay is competitive and benefits are decent.

Cons

Health insurance is mediocre - otherwise no complaints

Advice to Management

As long as you continue to listen to your employees as you grow, SSG will continue to be a great place to work.

3. "Great company with a even better future"

I have been working at Social Solutions full-time

Pros

The culture is probably the best part of this company. As the company works towards being a leader in their industry, there are a lot of changes but good changes. The location is great and the freedom to push for a better work environment is easy if you really want to make a change. Some of the negative reviews, in my opinion, are from individuals who were not prepared for challenges and did not expect to be pushed to be better.

Cons

Considering what's out there, not much. Maybe better health benefits.

Advice to Management

Company summer event or maybe some free lunches!!!

"Does many small things right and big things poorly"

I have been working at Social Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers - the people you'll work with on the ground level are fun, inclusive, helpful, and actively want to see you succeed. While the job has been frustrating in many ways, I have had more fun at this job than possibly any other, and that's thanks to the people you work with.

Compensation - base is decent for associate level sales position, and opportunity to make commissions is good if you are a very skilled salesperson, have a strong territory, a good amount of luck and a manager that knows what they're doing. (Unfortunately, a combination of all of these is unlikely to be consistent in your time here)

Product - Frankly we have a really good product! The software is good, and if a prospect is asking for exactly what you provide and nothing else, there will be a significant likelihood of winning that deal over other competitors for the same capabilities. (Problem is, we go too deep in solving a problem and not wide enough, so the addressable market is much lower than what sales leadership will lead you to believe)

Benefits, superficially fun corporate culture, and very reasonable work/life balance are other fair strong points.

Cons

The weakest points of Social Solutions are many less tangible cons that make it difficult to understand how they outweigh the pros, but they're not to be underestimated.

Particular executive leaders - Leadership has an extraordinary ability to be tone deaf. They will try to pretend they're listening, hear a suggestion, and give a solution that is the exact opposite to what's been requested, without concern for why it's not reasonable. They will give sales advice that is poor/outdated sales advice and sometimes be clueless as to what a key product offers. Certain leaders are a complete joke here, are laughed about in meetings, supposedly disregarded by other executive leaders, and is actively avoided when it comes to inclusion on big deals.

Opportunity for growth - Growth is lip service here, not a real cultural value. Leadership would rather hire from the outside without appreciation for tenure, experience, etc. Many people on sales team are demotivated about opportunities to move into higher level sales roles or management positions. Those that try are met with skepticism or significant resistance. Individual contributors and mid level sales leaders have gotten much better positions outside once they've done even 1 year here.

Unrealistic goals - less than 30% of people here hit quota. Less than 20% hit main KPIs like sets, discovery calls, demos consistently. Most deals closed are inbound, outbound process is insanely inefficient (roughly 1 out of 100 set meetings will turn into a deal! You will set between 100-200 meetings in a year). While individuals and teams overwhelmingly aren't hitting goal, quartlery executive all hands meetings will spin it in a way to make it look like everyone is hitting every goal we have and make things look exciting. It's very uninspiring to see all your friends and colleagues missing quota and goals, but the company trying to act like we should be excited. If we're doing a good job closing, why aren't quotas lower?

Skill development - There is very little opportunity here to learn how to sell well, particularly in the nonprofit industry. The competent leaders who spent a lot of time on the ground level of working deals are no longer at the company. Sales advice there is now mostly conceptual and not practical or informed. When you're given the wording to use a rebuttal, trying it on a call will get "no's" or hang ups every time. You will need to figure out everything on your own if you really want to succeed.

Advice to Management

Start caring about the human wants of your employees. You sat people down to ask why the employee turnover rate is so high, but haven't done anything to address those concerns.

Be legitimately data driven. Reverse engineering what you think makes sense as sales goals and KPIs isn't reasonable. Look at what's actually working, and educate those who are struggling on why it is working.

Spend less time on the small things like exact verbiage of emails, 1 month free offers, or contract minutiae, and address why your salespeople struggle with setting appointments, closing deals, or helping them believe you actually care about their success and long term growth.

"Shaking Things Up for the Worst"

Current Employee - Team Leader in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Austin, TX

I have been working at Social Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/Life Balance
    Amazing Customers
    Great Mission
    New Office
    Snacks/Happy Hours

Cons

Compensation
    Advancement Opportunities
    Cross Team Collaboration

Advice to Management

Incentivize and motivate your employees. Remember that every person is a person and not a number. Leave the ego at the door and clearly set expectations.

"Be careful"

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at Social Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Social Solutions has some positive aspects. Unlimited PTO (if you can get approval to take it). Decent benefits. 401K matching. Paid Volunteer time.

There are also some really good people that work here. We hear about the "combined industry experience" a lot. If that's true then I would say that's a positive too.

Cons

Social Solutions is kinda weird. If certain people like you, you can't do anything wrong. If those people don't like you, you can't seem to do anything right. And it can change week to week. You never really know where you stand.

The number of people leaving is crazy. Even in senior leaders there always seem to be someone leaving and someone new coming in. We just lost our VP of HR, which makes like 8 senior leaders that I can remember leaving. Stability in leadership feels very shaky. The people that seemed to really know what they are doing leave the fastest. That's scary. And a couple of them are just creepy.

I would recommend this company for a first job out of college. But I don't think this place is where you can build a career. Get a bullet on your resume and find something else. Thats basically what we a lot of us are doing.

Advice to Management

Dont even know where to start. Maybe look at why you can't keep people. Also it seems like our mission is different. It used to be about helping non-profits. Now its about how to get them to pay more. Customers are unhappy. Prospects are hard to win. And people keep leaving. I would give all that a good look. Maybe the problem is more at the top than we want to admit.

"Unbelievable Turnover and Unrealistic Expectations Create Constant Chaos"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Social Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are a new graduate (and you likely are, as they focus heavily on hiring low-cost, entry-level people) and this is your first job ever, you might be okay here for a while. The excitement and novelty of your first job will delay the effects the toxic environment will have on you.

Also, there are some really great people here. I think about them often and hope they are able to find different jobs soon.

Cons

I'll try to keep this brief so here are just the top 3 highlights. Key takeaway - out of all my career stops, Social Solutions is by far the worst experience I have had - and this is the only time I have ever left a negative Glassdoor review.

Insane Turnover
    I didn't even know voluntary turnover like this was possible, and it is seen across all departments. I was on a 10+ person team that experienced 100% turnover in less than a year. Since I have left, they are close to another wave of 100% turnover. It's crazy. This isn't just for staff either - on the executive team of eight people - FIVE of them left during my time there (LESS THAN ONE YEAR).

Poor Work/Life Balance
    Unrealistic expectations and a bizarre culture of stress-testing people to determine their worth trickles down from Vista Equity. Other contributing factors to poor balance - the previously mentioned turnover, the focus on hiring (cheap) entry level people with no experience, and the time you have to spend on tedious internal reporting/presentations/meetings that do nothing to help you meet your unrealistic goals.

Below Market Compensation
    I didn't realize this until after I left, but I think this might be a purposeful strategy (maybe from Vista Equity?) - they con you into accepting much lower than market salary due to an annual bonus. Then, they make your life impossible so you leave before you get the annual bonus - all while squeezing every bit of life out of you they can during your 6-8 month tenure. Pretty smart actually!

Advice to Management

There is one thing that will fix all your problems, but unfortunately I can't see you ever doing this - genuinely caring about people. It's very obvious to everyone that people are just a number/input to a formula and you constantly cut corners and go cheap when it comes to the employee experience. EVERYTHING there seems manufactured and unauthentic.

Until you find a way to address this, you will continue to see the mind-boggling turnover I saw during my time there. Even if you don't care about people, you know that turnover comes with a significant cost, right?

On a related note (manufactured and unauthentic), please take down the "Work Hard, Play Hard - we sip champagne when we thirst-ay" mural - it's soul crushing.

"Deceptive company"

I worked at Social Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good location at the Domain, nice office.

Cons

Don’t let the beer kegs, ping pong tables, cold brew taps, and company-wide t-shirt photos deceive you. Social Solutions is a division of Vista Equity Partners - a large, heartless private equity outfit. So, instead of working for what appears to be a young mid-sized software company, you’ll be employed by firm with 50K+ employees that is notorious for acquiring struggling software companies and selling off their assets. Creativity and innovation take a back seat to sales quotas at this organization. I’ve worked at numerous companies in Austin, but this is by far the most toxic group that I’ve ever been a part of, from product development all the way to HR.

9. "Incredible company. Incredible opportunity."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Social Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My work at Social Solutions is truly a dream job. The opportunity to make a difference here is boundless. Not only is the mission of helping non profits serve their participants better an easy buy in, but the leadership team is a once in a career (22 years) find. The company fosters collaboration and growth for employees of any experience level. The tech culture is innovative and data driven.

Cons

Initially the choice of benefits was limited. This was quickly remedied and now rivals much larger companies.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. This is a truly rare company.

"Avoid if you respect yourself"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Social Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and pay. All the pretty external pieces of a tech company from cold brew on tap to quarterly Soul Cycle classes to monthly happy hours.
    Nice location right by the Domain. Unlimited PTO. Very appealing perks.
    There are some very talented people who work here, but the more initiative you take, the more likely you are to get dumped on by management.

Cons

Where do I begin?
    This company has no idea where it’s going. Totally directionless. They claim to be for the non profits they serve, but the true priorities revolve around the Ballmer investments made this year. I was explicitly told that the goal was to “check a box” for Ballmer the next year. I.e. any issue the customers have are ignored and openly de prioritized.
    Leadership is a non existent disaster.
    Wherever the wind blows day to day is the priority. If someone from the board wants to see something new and shiny, entire development teams are re-routed in the middle of their incomplete features to appease them.
    And don’t get me started on my toxic manager. She was drunk the 3rd day of my employment. She frequently instructed me to “take people down” if they posed an issue and skipped out midday frequently to get her lashes curled, only to get online later in the evening and give feedback on my team’s work.
    We spent hours a week facilitating meetings only for her to crush us under the weight of “feedback” that rarely made sense. The funniest part of all It? I never saw her actually complete a task. She dolled out “opportunities” regularly and sent us on useless missions to implement processes with incomplete information. She was a moving target with no accountability outside of a codependent relationship with her superior. Nepotism like I’ve never seen.
    If you are an individual who’s happy to get paid well for generally useless work that changes at a moment’s notice, this job is for you!
    If you have values and intend whatsoever to serve nonprofits, I recommend you run far away.
    I cannot unrecommend this place more.
    On my second to last week I was “dismissed” without a reason, only validating my suspicion that my boss has ties with HR that would permit whatever behavior she chose to display.
    I was a least given a phone call with HR after my time had ended. I’m hopeful they put a stop to the madness, but the issue permeating this company are far from resolved.
    I’m sure a well meaning HR individual will respond with a generic, perky response to this review. Don’t be fooled. This org is a dumpster fire until further notice.

Advice to Management

Clean house and promote the people who actually work for what you claim your mission to be.

Social Solutions Response

Feb 14, 2019 – VP of People

We appreciate anyone who takes the time to write a review on Glassdoor, especially when there are constructive comments that can help job seekers determine whether Social Solutions is the right place... More