Social Tables Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Social Tables CEO Dan Berger
Dan Berger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Social Tables is truly a family (in 17 reviews)

• Weekly Happy Hours, Annual Awards Show, Holiday Party at great locations (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Honestly, any "cons" at Social Tables pale in comparison to what I've seen at other companies (in 11 reviews)

• Work life balance is something that can vary (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to grow and experience new things"

I have been working at Social Tables full-time (More than a year)

Pros

--The experience--

The following experiences at Social Tables are memories I will take with me for the rest of my life

The Chaivaris - one of four of our annual company events when Tablers are recognized for their hard work over the year. One Tabler wins the ultimate award, a golden chiavari, because he/she embodies what it means to be a Tabler. We had this event last year at Studio Theater and we went to Vegas Lounge afterwards to celebrate.

The Daybreaker: This was a 7am rave held in our office the day of our day long education event. I didn't think it was possible to bring a DJ in, black out the windows, and cover the room in glow sticks.. but we did, and it was a completely new experience for me. DJ Pelonkey was incredible and seeing other Tablers break out in amazing dance moves was very unexpected and very entertaining. It was a great way to kick off a full day of learning.

Our Series B Closing Dinner: We had to set our own tables at The Watergate! I loved it. We walked into a room with rounds that needed to be set with linens, china, and chairs. We were assigned tables and we competed to see who could get it done first. Once again, this is an experience I would never have if I didn't work at Social Tables. We got to see first hand how our software helps event crews set up and break down events.

These three stick out for me. I've been with the company for 1.5 years and I am happy I made the choice to come here.

--Growth--

I've grown so much since I started. I've challenged myself in terms of what I am capable of and taking responsibility for getting things done. I know I am accountable because of the responsibility I am given everyday to make sure things work. This company gives opportunity but it is up to you to make something of it.

Cons

It's a very fast paced company and it can be hard to absorb everything coming at you. If you are willing to put in the hours, you will see the rewards. Self starters will flourish here but people who need their hands held will not do as well.

Advice to Management

Give the CEO and Exec team more time to interface with the company. Roll your desks over to new parts of the office and say hello more often.

Mar 7, 2017 – VP of People Operations

Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed review. I appreciate every review but love the specifics examples that you gave showing a glimpse of life at ST.

2. "Best Startup in DC"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Washington, DC

I worked at Social Tables full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Solid SaaS business on the path to profitability. Growing ARR, negative churn. Great business serving SMBs and expanding more to the Enterprise
    - Leadership. The VPs are hardworking yet approachable. Dan, the CEO, is passionate and has a motor like no one I've ever seen
    - Great transparency. Every month you learn the ins and outs of the company's financials and KPIs. Good and bad, everything is shared and discussed
    - Dope events. Weekly Happy Hours, Annual Awards Show, Holiday Party at great locations.
    - Sweet Office
    - Opportunities to learn and grow

Cons

- It's not an easy job. The CEO will push you, that's part of his job. It can be tough but you'll do some of your best work here if you put in the effort
    - Autonomy is hard to come by. You have to push for it and earn it.

Advice to Management

Discuss Lessons Learned more. Own up to mistakes you make and share with the company what you have learned from that mistake and how you may correct it.

3. "Churn and Burn"

I have been working at Social Tables full-time

Pros

Cool office. Mostly good people.

Cons

This is not a good environment. Expectations for availability are 24/7. Your work and time are scrutinized even when working 60 + hours a week - and that’s a light work week. It is not a place that tries to find and advance the best in people. There are so many start ups in DC where you can work hard and be respected - this is not one of them. Management is skeptical about any amount of flexibility where they can’t watch you work — working from home or adjusting work hours are counted against you.

4. "Great product and good vision!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Social Tables full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very cool workplace and flexible time-offs/sick leaves. There's a lot of opportunity for growth within the organization. If you are determined, a self starter and passionate about what you do then you will definitely love this company.

Cons

Things are fast paced (which is typical to most startup companies out there) and there's always some change that's happening every now and then. People are using ST to gain experience and then moving on to take big buck jobs elsewhere which is something that has to change.

5. "A Maturing Startup w/Great Opportunity and Some Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Social Tables full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Social Tables is unique in that for such a young company, it so many large, happy, and very strategic customers, which creates an exciting and dynamic atmosphere.

Before I started at Social Tables, I never would have thought I'd be interacting with VPs and C-suite executives at major hotel chains or executives at Fortune 500 companies - and that those customers would care so deeply about the work I do for them.

I've consistently been offered new challenges, have been offered new roles and responsibilities, and make much more now than I did when I started, mostly because the role has changed so much.

Cons

Change is a constant at Social Tables, so it's not the right place for people who value stability.

We work quickly and efficiently, but sometimes our quick pivots result in late nights for the team.

My attainment goals have changed twice this year, which doesn't bother me but has caused confusion and stress for other team members.

Advice to Management

Focus on consistent goal setting and better alignment between mid and senior management.

All in all I'm happy in the role that I have an am enjoying the role I have!

"I <3 ST"

I have been working at Social Tables full-time

Pros

great culture, smart & fun people, interesting challenges, incredible office. managers are getting better every day and really care about their teammates. you can get involved in different projects throughout the company.

Cons

it's in DC so you're a slave to public transportation.

Advice to Management

hire people with a little more experience to successfully get through the next as complexity increases.

"Current Status: Scaling"

I have been working at Social Tables full-time

Pros

The company is the closest thing you get to a Silicon Valley high growth startup in DC (in a good way). We are currently rolling out a new platform and some amazing features. This has been years in the making and we've talked about it for a while so it's nice to see it all come together.

Cons

Some employees who have been there for a long time feel entitled but they are either changing or moving on, which is good for everyone.

Advice to Management

Constantly evaluate managers to make sure they are the right ones for what the company needs.

"Sales Leader"

I have been working at Social Tables full-time

Pros

ST (as we know it) offers amazing benefits, a culture first environment, and fair pay. This is a place that you are surrounded by good leaders and can offer feedback comfortably and see results. The CEO demands a lot of his employees which is necessary in a high growth company. In return, the CEO provides excellent shareholder value (stock is something every employee gets) and shares success with all leaders, managers, and ICs.

Cons

This is a Pro and a Con - ST is still a startup and is ready to launch on its rocketship. Working here requires an entrepreneurial mindset and if you don't have that, it's not for you.

Advice to Management

Train yourselves and find mentors to help you grow rather than relying on just internal resources.

Jun 13, 2017 – HR Generalist

Hi Tabler - I appreciate you taking the time to give us a review! I agree that the entrepreneurial mindset is critical to success at Social Tables - being excited about and seeing the opportunity in... More

"Fast paced work environment with a lack of direction from an inexperienced leadership group"

I have been working at Social Tables full-time

Pros

Fast paced work environment where you can learn a lot. Great office with free snacks and La Croix. Lots of fun, young coworkers. Solid core values.

Cons

Extreme lack of experience at almost all leadership positions. Constant change with a seeming lack of real direction. Lots of staff turnover during the past 6 months.

Advice to Management

Hopefully you can figure things out while you still have some employees left.

"Best company yet"

I have been working at Social Tables full-time

Pros

Awesome people, great vibe, impactful work. Hospitality is a super interesting industry, and there's a lot of opportunity to innovate. One major plus is you're given plenty of room to do your job the way that works best for you, and you're encouraged to and supported in creating new opportunities. Culture is really a company focus which is rare for a startup and pretty sweet. There's also an education budget to foster individual growth, and great digs in a central location right in DC.

Cons

Change is a challenge, because it happens a lot. The same freedom that's a pro is also a con because it means you can sometimes end up taking care of things yourself you'd rather not do/don't really have time for. These are pretty standard cons of any startup, so nothing unique to Social Tables.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a good job listening to employee feedback.

Jun 6, 2017 – HR Generalist

Hello Tabler and thanks for leaving us a review! I'm glad you're enjoying your time with us, and am especially appreciative of your perspective around change. We're always working to be smarter about... More