Social Tables Reviews | Glassdoor

4.1
Social Tables CEO Dan Berger
Dan Berger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Social Tables is truly a family (in 17 reviews)

• Weekly in-office happy hours on Friday, great to unwind and hang out with the team (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • These are pretty standard cons of any startup, so nothing unique to Social Tables (in 12 reviews)

• Work life balance is something that can vary (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to grow and experience new things"

I have been working at Social Tables full-time (More than a year)

Pros

--The experience--

The following experiences at Social Tables are memories I will take with me for the rest of my life

The Chaivaris - one of four of our annual company events when Tablers are recognized for their hard work over the year. One Tabler wins the ultimate award, a golden chiavari, because he/she embodies what it means to be a Tabler. We had this event last year at Studio Theater and we went to Vegas Lounge afterwards to celebrate.

The Daybreaker: This was a 7am rave held in our office the day of our day long education event. I didn't think it was possible to bring a DJ in, black out the windows, and cover the room in glow sticks.. but we did, and it was a completely new experience for me. DJ Pelonkey was incredible and seeing other Tablers break out in amazing dance moves was very unexpected and very entertaining. It was a great way to kick off a full day of learning.

Our Series B Closing Dinner: We had to set our own tables at The Watergate! I loved it. We walked into a room with rounds that needed to be set with linens, china, and chairs. We were assigned tables and we competed to see who could get it done first. Once again, this is an experience I would never have if I didn't work at Social Tables. We got to see first hand how our software helps event crews set up and break down events.

These three stick out for me. I've been with the company for 1.5 years and I am happy I made the choice to come here.

--Growth--

I've grown so much since I started. I've challenged myself in terms of what I am capable of and taking responsibility for getting things done. I know I am accountable because of the responsibility I am given everyday to make sure things work. This company gives opportunity but it is up to you to make something of it.

Cons

It's a very fast paced company and it can be hard to absorb everything coming at you. If you are willing to put in the hours, you will see the rewards. Self starters will flourish here but people who need their hands held will not do as well.

Advice to Management

Give the CEO and Exec team more time to interface with the company. Roll your desks over to new parts of the office and say hello more often.

Mar 7, 2017 – VP of People Operations

Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed review. I appreciate every review but love the specifics examples that you gave showing a glimpse of life at ST.

2. "A Maturing Startup w/Great Opportunity and Some Growing Pains"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Social Tables full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Social Tables is unique in that for such a young company, it so many large, happy, and very strategic customers, which creates an exciting and dynamic atmosphere.

Before I started at Social Tables, I never would have thought I'd be interacting with VPs and C-suite executives at major hotel chains or executives at Fortune 500 companies - and that those customers would care so deeply about the work I do for them.

I've consistently been offered new challenges, have been offered new roles and responsibilities, and make much more now than I did when I started, mostly because the role has changed so much.

Cons

Change is a constant at Social Tables, so it's not the right place for people who value stability.

We work quickly and efficiently, but sometimes our quick pivots result in late nights for the team.

My attainment goals have changed twice this year, which doesn't bother me but has caused confusion and stress for other team members.

Advice to Management

Focus on consistent goal setting and better alignment between mid and senior management.

All in all I'm happy in the role that I have an am enjoying the role I have!

"I <3 ST"

I have been working at Social Tables full-time

Pros

great culture, smart & fun people, interesting challenges, incredible office. managers are getting better every day and really care about their teammates. you can get involved in different projects throughout the company.

Cons

it's in DC so you're a slave to public transportation.

Advice to Management

hire people with a little more experience to successfully get through the next as complexity increases.

"Current Status: Scaling"

I have been working at Social Tables full-time

Pros

The company is the closest thing you get to a Silicon Valley high growth startup in DC (in a good way). We are currently rolling out a new platform and some amazing features. This has been years in the making and we've talked about it for a while so it's nice to see it all come together.

Cons

Some employees who have been there for a long time feel entitled but they are either changing or moving on, which is good for everyone.

Advice to Management

Constantly evaluate managers to make sure they are the right ones for what the company needs.

"Sales Leader"

I have been working at Social Tables full-time

Pros

ST (as we know it) offers amazing benefits, a culture first environment, and fair pay. This is a place that you are surrounded by good leaders and can offer feedback comfortably and see results. The CEO demands a lot of his employees which is necessary in a high growth company. In return, the CEO provides excellent shareholder value (stock is something every employee gets) and shares success with all leaders, managers, and ICs.

Cons

This is a Pro and a Con - ST is still a startup and is ready to launch on its rocketship. Working here requires an entrepreneurial mindset and if you don't have that, it's not for you.

Advice to Management

Train yourselves and find mentors to help you grow rather than relying on just internal resources.

Jun 13, 2017 – HR Generalist

Hi Tabler - I appreciate you taking the time to give us a review! I agree that the entrepreneurial mindset is critical to success at Social Tables - being excited about and seeing the opportunity in... More

"Fast paced work environment with a lack of direction from an inexperienced leadership group"

I have been working at Social Tables full-time

Pros

Fast paced work environment where you can learn a lot. Great office with free snacks and La Croix. Lots of fun, young coworkers. Solid core values.

Cons

Extreme lack of experience at almost all leadership positions. Constant change with a seeming lack of real direction. Lots of staff turnover during the past 6 months.

Advice to Management

Hopefully you can figure things out while you still have some employees left.

"Best company yet"

I have been working at Social Tables full-time

Pros

Awesome people, great vibe, impactful work. Hospitality is a super interesting industry, and there's a lot of opportunity to innovate. One major plus is you're given plenty of room to do your job the way that works best for you, and you're encouraged to and supported in creating new opportunities. Culture is really a company focus which is rare for a startup and pretty sweet. There's also an education budget to foster individual growth, and great digs in a central location right in DC.

Cons

Change is a challenge, because it happens a lot. The same freedom that's a pro is also a con because it means you can sometimes end up taking care of things yourself you'd rather not do/don't really have time for. These are pretty standard cons of any startup, so nothing unique to Social Tables.

Advice to Management

Keep doing a good job listening to employee feedback.

Jun 6, 2017 – HR Generalist

Hello Tabler and thanks for leaving us a review! I'm glad you're enjoying your time with us, and am especially appreciative of your perspective around change. We're always working to be smarter about... More

8. "Opportunities outweigh any challenges"

I have been working at Social Tables full-time

Pros

Constant growth for everyone... from employees who started as quota carriers and are now managers to the company that started as an app and is now a full-fledged platform. Exciting office, awesome people, dynamic environment.

Cons

Honestly, any "cons" at Social Tables pale in comparison to what I've seen at other companies.

Advice to Management

Stop caring so much and keep executing. It'll pay off for everyone involved.

Jun 6, 2017 – HR Generalist

Hi Tabler - this is wonderful to hear! We're glad you're enjoying your time with us. While it's hard for us to stop caring and listening, we appreciate your insights and recommendations. If you have... More

"Exciting challenges and growth opportunities happening here!"

Current Employee - Customer Success in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Customer Success in Washington, DC

I have been working at Social Tables full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I'm able to see the impact I'm making through my day to day efforts, and it's an AMAZING feeling!!

We have some pretty big (motivating and exciting) challenges here as a growing company in the hospitality SAAS industry! If you like a challenge and want to be part of a team effort, this is a great place to be!

Cons

We're moving quickly. We're constantly assessing our techniques to finesse our strategy and our efforts.

This means change. This sort of change is healthy in my eyes, but some people don't like change as much.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. I appreciate all of the feedback channels that have been put in place for employees to contribute opinions personally and anonymously.

May 29, 2017 – HR Generalist

Hi Tabler - thanks for the feedback, and we're glad you're continuing to enjoy your time with Social Tables! You're right that we are constantly assessing our approaches, and if ever you or any other... More

"A leadership-challenged organization"

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Social Tables full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interesting product that customers like, customers are treated pretty well, and seem happy with support - there is a risk that the product becomes commoditized over time due to competitive threats from other offerings, though.

Lots of smart, and energetic people on the team, and a high-energy environment.

Cons

The executive team, in particular the CEO, lacks real business experience and tends to rely on trendy business article themes as ways to drive their strategy/thinking. Most of the execs that actually had any successful tech business background have since left, largely due to frustration or inability to work constructively with the CEO, leaving a current leadership in place that really is generally quite inexperienced at leading a tech company. There is a lack of ability or willingness to develop a plan and execute it without jerking it (and the team) around before allowing it to have any chance of being successful. While this type of "change" is touted as a positive, it is actually counter-productive to the team and the business. A little bit a longer-term view is needed, and less hyper-reaction based on immediate results and emotion.

The CEO is the core of the problems at ST, as he is so focused on crafting his personal image, driven by a desire to be viewed as a visionary in the tech/start-up arena, while lacking real leadership qualities, or practical experience to apply as the CEO of a company at this stage. He relies too much on his close, long-term allies that feed his ego, and support his erratic behavior to the detriment of the company. While an earlier-stage start-up may survive that, ST is now beyond that point and needs real leadership at the helm.

Advice to Management

Focus more on better blocking and tackling, less about the personal image of the CEO/perception of the company to the outside world, less about the facade, and more about the actual foundation of a successful business - then the rest will follow. This likely requires new leadership with real experience. Without it, ST will likely be another name on the list of D.C. Tech companies that had a good, but short run.

Jun 6, 2017 – HR Generalist

Hi former Tabler - thanks for your thoughtful feedback. We recognize that developing leadership is an area of opportunity for us and we've spent significant time providing training and development... More