Social Tables Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Social Tables CEO Dan Berger
Dan Berger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The following experiences at Social Tables are memories I will take with me for the rest of my life" (in 19 reviews)

• "Weekly Happy Hours, Annual Awards Show, Holiday Party at great locations" (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "It's a very fast paced company and it can be hard to absorb everything coming at you" (in 5 reviews)

• "working from home or adjusting work hours are counted against you" (in 3 reviews)

1. "My Journey at Social Tables"

Current Employee - Senior Client Success Advisor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Client Success Advisor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Social Tables full-time

Pros

I started working for Social Tables in May 2017 as a part-time as a Customer Care Representative right after I completed the Disney College Program in Orlando, FL— so, I had the hospitality training, but I needed to enhance my Tech skills to level up for a full-time position. I had to push myself, work hard, but then I was promoted to full-time on the Customer Care Team on February 8th, 2018 (exactly 1 year ago today!)

Reflecting on my journey today, I can really appreciate how much I’ve grown and learned on both a professional and personal level since my time here. Sure — there were some long and hard days, days that were better than others. But I’ve had great managers/mentors to learn from, fantastic colleagues who support me, I get to oversee our official Instagram account, work out of an amazing office space located in the heart of D.C., and I’ve had so many great opportunities from Social Tables — branching off that, I just received a promotion this week! I am now a Senior Client Success Advisor and I’m thrilled for this next step in my career. My growth here has proven to me that hard work pays off, and does not go unnoticed.

We were acquired by Cvent in October of 2018 but our culture has remained the same! It’s been such a great learning experience going through this acquisition too. Throughout this time of constant change, it’s apparent how important our core values and culture matter. This company is truly unlike any other, there is never a dull moment, and everyone has a #WorkHardPlayHard mentality. You can be yourself here and people will embrace your quirks. My experience at Social Tables has been very positive and I’m so excited for my next step!

Cons

N/A - the pros outweigh the cons

"Culture of Fear"

I worked at Social Tables full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome coworkers, and the most diverse team I've seen at any tech startup in DC. Cutting-edge tech stack, great place to learn.

Cons

There is a real culture of fear at the company, and it's constantly felt in ways big and small. As far as I could tell, it was incompetence rather than malevolence that caused it. Everything comes down to Dan Berger. He has good intentions, but seems to be clueless about how his actions affect the day-to-day experience of his employees. Anybody at any level of the company can be publicly called out by him for reasons significant or completely trivial.

"Poor Communication by Management"

Former Employee - Technology in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Technology in Washington, DC

I worked at Social Tables full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Coworkers
    - Office location
    - Snacks

Cons

- Poor communication by leadership
    - Favoritism in promotions
    - False promises
    - Below industry compensation and benefits package

Advice to Management

Be more straightforward to employees and more clear with the changes that will come with an integration. Be accountable for what you say. For example, there were layoffs within the company after the integration when it was stated their wouldn't be.

"Stressful work environment with a bad product that rarely works"

Pros

Free food and good office space

Cons

The core product crashes and experiences major bugs on a weekly basis. This makes it challenging when trying to sell/demo to customers. Management, especially the executive team, is very disorganized and seems to be on a different wavelength. After the acquisition it seems people have lost motivation and faith in the company.

"Great people led by incompetent exec team"

I have been working at Social Tables full-time

Pros

Cool office with lots of opportunities to socialize with coworkers.

Cons

Leadership does not care about how their decisions impact individual employees. The CEO gets angry and defensive over legitimate questions and concerns that employees have, especially during times of change. Promotions and opportunities are often based off of favoritism and diversity is essentially nonexistent here.

Advice to Management

The company's success is not just based on the opinions of a few select execs. Listen to your employees.

"I Learned An Alternative Way To Pronounce The Word Dan"

Pros

Fun company, good attempt to be Googley. CEO actively can't pronounce name

Cons

Pronunciation isn't a strong skillset. No 401k. Health benefits are weak. Small addressable market

"Never Again"

I worked at Social Tables full-time

Pros

free food sometimes, cool office space

Cons

Honestly, one of the worst workplace environments I have ever been in. Completely unprofessional. Management is awful and everyone looks at the CEO as Michael Scott. There is zero diversity and a fake progressive atmosphere.

Jul 24, 2018 – Director of HR

We're sorry to hear this about your experience! The concerns you mention are certainly priorities for us: ensuring leadership practices, team dynamic, and internal processes will support our growing... More

"Eehhh"

Former Employee - SDR in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - SDR in Washington, DC

I worked at Social Tables full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great office space. Staff is nice (you most likely have to be outgoing and be the first to create a conversation to make acquaintances )

Cons

- A lot of micromanagement. From management to CEO in most of departments
    - Not a lot of place for growth

Advice to Management

Trust your employees, give them better recognition, and not by just giving them a monthly frame.

"If you want to learn and grow.."

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Washington, DC

I worked at Social Tables full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Social Tables provides an excellent opportunity for any motivated and dedicated professional to learn and grow rapidly! Being a small and growing company, you have the chance to directly impact growth. Upper management is always nearby, so it's not hard to ask challenging questions and seek advice. Each month, the company takes an hour to present all of the financials and KPIs, as well as to recognize peers' successes. The environment is friendly, energetic, and innovative. Every work anniversary you celebrate there comes with a celebration and unique gift! The CEO is constantly giving industry talks and is on top of Thought Leadership. It's valuable and inspiring to have a leader who goes above and beyond.

Cons

It's a fast-paced environment. Change is constant when a company is young and growing - only work here if that's something you can handle and enjoy! It's a niche industry and definitely helps to have familiarity with the hospitality world. Although there is opportunity to grow, you may have to wait for promotions and raises.

Advice to Management

Some people prefer structure, others like to figure things out on their own. Try to hire and retain those with a true entrepreneurial spirit that are ready to figure things out and be molded into something new.

May 31, 2018 – Head of Talent

Thank you for your feedback! We take pride in our employees and are working hard to define continued career paths for everyone. At this stage, change is inevitable, and it's employees like you who... More

"Lacks vision and direction"

I worked at Social Tables full-time

Pros

Great office space and an excellent start-up environment. Wonderful CEO who is nice and personable.

Cons

Management below the CEO is toxic. Often lacks leadership and any direction. The software has lots of bugs and has problems that an org this size should not have. If you were popular in Middle School, you would like this company. Also, much of the staff is grotesquely underpaid.

Jul 11, 2018 – Director of HR

Thanks for your review! We hear your concerns, and the HR team is excited about our leadership training, compensation, and communication initiatives. We would welcome feedback around how we can make... More