SocialChorus Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.9
Greg Shove

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Hard work is recognized and rewarded (in 7 reviews)

• if you care and you are curious and want to continuously learn more and do more, you will have every opportunity to grow and take on new challenges (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • CEO has publicly stated his "hire and fire" mentality for Sales people, does not value his employees (in 4 reviews)

• Demanding work-life balance is not for those who want a 9-5 job; but that trains you to carve out time for yourself (in 3 reviews)

"Employees lead, succeed together, and act like owners"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SocialChorus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Leadership:
    Fully transparent and approachable
    - Weekly all-hands meeting to celebrate team wins, shout-outs, provide business updates, and welcome new employees
    - No “me-monsters” (people who only talk about themselves)
    - Encourage personal and professional growth
    - Act as mentors
    - Committed investors who support long-term business growth
    - Promotes from within
    - Flawlessly handle stress
    - Supportive and committed to bringing top talent to teams
    - Deeply passionate about our customers and end users of our platform
    - Quick to recognize and reward success

Culture & Perks:
    - Unlimited PTO
    - $1000 post tax yearly bonus for taking 5 consecutive days off
    - $75 health and wellness credit for anything that keeps you active
    - Generous dinner credit and amazon gift cards for each anniversary
    - Amazing office views with convenient location close to the ferry building
    - Fun and friendly people
    - Open floor plan
    - Yearly event with all remote and SF employees
    - Weekly drinks Friday afternoons in the SF office
    - Genuine friendships

Career Growth:
    SocialChorus has done the most for me in this category. I joined as an SDR shortly after college joining a small but mighty team. I was impressed, but a little nervous to start calling our buyers (VP and C-Level executives at Fortune 500 companies) as I had zero sales experience. I grew more confident with the training and coaching I received from my manager and director at the time. My manager is still at SocialChorus today and we are now on the same team :) Due to our enterprise focus it was difficult to move into the sales role but given my success as a top preforming SDR I was given the opportunity to support our our Co-Founder and Chief Strategy Officer to help support our largest and most strategic partner to get more from our solution. Shortly after, I had earned a sales role! This was the third time the company had trusted me build a process and form a path for others to follow in a new role. I've succeeded because I’ve always cared deeply about the problem we are solving and felt both supported and inspired by my peers and leadership. Today, over three years later I was able to exceed my account executive quota early.

I love working here and am very excited for future of the company.

Cons

Leadership is crystal clear is the future of the company. The process to get there has sometimes been unclear which is why you see some reviews stating "hire and fire mentality." After a few mistakes a long the way, we've learned a lot about hiring the past year and can take those learning to build the best teams moving forward.

Aug 14, 2017 – VP, Finance & Operations

Really appreciate the feedback. We truly try to be inclusive and transparent about the decisions we make as a company no matter how difficult they may be. At times, it may not seem like the right... More

"High energy, inspiring, teamwork-oriented company"

I have been working at SocialChorus full-time

Pros

-Great leadership : execs that take the time to connect with all of their employees, collaborative mindsets

-Company culture: work hard play hard mentality - emphasis on personal health and taking care of oneself, this is reflected further in the wide variety of employee benefits and PTO

-Opportunity: fast growing company that invests time, resources, and training in employees, plenty of opportunity to grow, be promoted, expand skill set

-Company values: success happens together, everyone is deeply valued and considered to be equal parts of the organization

Cons

- "Work hard" mentality can occasionally mean longer hours than just 9-5 depending on role (this happens because employees are intrinsically motivated to be part of the team's success)

Aug 14, 2017 – VP, Finance & Operations

It took some time to assemble the team we have now, but it’s been well worth it. We owe it to Greg and entire team for being so resilient through this two year stretch. But, what we achieved together... More

3. "Amazing opportunity to be a part of something special"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SocialChorus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SocialChorus is 100% the type of job environment where you're going to get what you put in. If you expect to come into the office from 9-4 and not care about the problem you're solving for your customers, you're frankly not going to be successful here.

The good news is, we don’t have many employees like that. Personally, I am impressed everyday by the thoughtfulness and integrity of the people I am surrounded by at work. I am driven to succeed more and perform better every day by working in an environment with a team of people who are so devoted to our customers and communication challenges that enterprise companies face and challenge us daily to be better. Before SocialChorus I had never worked in a company with such fierce loyalty to the employees who put in the time and want to make something great. This is the type of company SocialChorus is – if you care and you are curious and want to continuously learn more and do more, you will have every opportunity to grow and take on new challenges.

I would summarize the highlights of working at SocialChorus as follows:
    • An inspirational management team who make decisions with integrity and employees in mind.
    • Coworkers who have become friends - people who like to laugh together, collaborate on solving tough problems, and celebrate each others successes.
    • Amazing clients who work for the biggest companies in the world who are partners to the company and are completely aligned with our mission and vision as a technology company. There is honestly nothing cooler than knowing you are solving problems that actually improve the day to day of an employee’s job, regardless of what that job is.
    • Amazing office location, right by the ferry building in SF. Amazing views of the bay bridge, free lunch, etc.

Cons

There are definitely some long hours but it's a sign of how busy we are as a business (which I would attribute to long-term success). You will stay busy at SocialChorus and as with most endeavors, the more effort you put in, the more personal growth you will see as a result.

Advice to Management

Keep making the difficult decisions needed to steer the company in the right direction.

Would love to see more women at the table for management team & more all-company activities to bring everyone together as we grow.

Aug 14, 2017 – VP, Finance & Operations

We truly believe that building a great company requires everyone to be a thought leader and entrepreneur themselves. This isn’t a 9-5 job. It’s a lifestyle choice, a choice that all of us have made... More

4. "High development turnover."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SocialChorus full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some really great team members. A lot of good people outside of upper management. Strong environment to learn at entry level, but gets more political the longer you stay.

Cons

Poor communication on intentions of the company. Poor one-on-one personal development. After a while you feel like a pawn.

Advice to Management

I think the CEO needs to make less snap decisions and lean on the knowledge of the team to be better informed on what direction to take. Spend more one-on-one time with employees to give guidance on how to evolve in their position.

Aug 14, 2017 – VP, Finance & Operations

Thanks for the feedback. We do have really great team members in product and engineering. It would be great to get more context on the bureaucracy given how flat our team is as a whole. On the... More

"Responsible startup with eye towards future"

I have been working at SocialChorus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Open, communicative environment with ability to have your voice heard throughout the company
    - Re-defining an enterprise space that's ripe for innovation
    - Great leadership in Product & Engineering - motivating, respectful, empowering
    - Mature, friendly co-workers who care about each other with no office politics or secret agendas
    - Good work/life balance - a lot of time management is up to you
    - Remote working - majority of Product & Engineering team is distributed, which has led to a healthy balance and respect for remote employees
    - Company-wide incentives to reach key milestones
    - Recently moved to unlimited PTO policy

Cons

- Turnover in Sales and Account Management as company has re-organized its services departments for the better
    - Like most startups with a DIY environment, communication between different teams could be improved to streamline the company's latest POV, as well as avoid rash decisions that don't fully flesh out the long-term implications

Advice to Management

- Establish and maintain bi-annual employee/manager reviews so people know their performance and areas of improvement
    - More off-sites for distributed teams so working relationships can be better formed

Aug 14, 2017 – VP, Finance & Operations

Thanks for your comments. We are very excited about the future and the opportunities that lay ahead of us. We plan on rolling out more formal performance review processes as we build out our people... More

"Hire and fire mentality/no work-life balance"

I worked at SocialChorus full-time

Pros

* Big market opportunity (mobile platform for internal communications) still exisits
    * Office location is convenient to Embarcadero BART; office views of the Bay Bridge are spectacular
    * Well stocked kitchen with snacks and drinks
    * Weekly company lunch with good variety
    * Open communication via weekly company meetings, and open floor plan (no offices)

Cons

* Hire and fire mentality: the rampup and quota expectations appear to be completely unrealistic for sales directors. Every sales director hired in 2016 was let go within 5-7 months (and several others hired in 2015 were let go early in 2016).

* No work/life balance: You are told AFTER you are hired that if you are looking for a job with work/life balance then this is not the place for you. If you are willing to be ‘always on’ (answering Slack messages and email 24x7, or an SDR making calls from home at 5AM) then this could be a good fit. If not, look elsewhere.

* Sarcastic, snarky communication from leadership. It is often an environment of intimidation.

* Morale: People keep getting fired and/or leaving on their own. As a result morale is poor.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of hiring people who will be a good fit for the culture (set clear expectations in the interview process). Something is wrong when every sales director hired in 2016 is fired within 5-7 months, and SDRs and Customer Success Mgrs with short tenures are leaving for better opportunities elsewhere (or just to go travel and take time off). I've never been part of a company with such high employee turnover, especially in the sales department.

Jun 3, 2017 – VP, Finance & Operations

Hello there. We appreciate your feedback and certainly take your comments seriously as we continue to evolve as a company and develop our culture. Let me address your comments in order.

1) We do... More

"Creating a new category of enterprise software...challenging and inspiring"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SocialChorus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is my 5th startup and 4th in SaaS. Rarely do you walk in to company at this stage selling 6-figure, multi-year subscription software to Fortune 1000 customers. This is typically reserved for more mature companies and categories. But, when you mix a thoughtful, hyper-focused solution with a massive problem that is ripe for innovation and add in incredibly mission driven people with a high bar for achievement, you get some outstanding results. This is where SocialChorus is at. We are certainly a small fish in a big pond, but we happen to work on really big ponds that look really muddy and in need of our solution.

Cons

Over the course of the last 2 years, we have made a significant investment to upgrading our infrastructure, process and talent. This is extremely difficult and rocky at times. We've had to say goodbye to employees we loved dearly but we need to protect our most valuable current assets, our employees and our customers. We revolve every strategy around that and it comes with some challenging decisions--sometimes they may seem harsh. But our lens comes from a long term point of view. We owe it to our customers and team to win this category.

Advice to Management

Continue to have a high bar for excellence, achievement low tolerance for lack of hunger. Startups are hard. This job is not for the weak. It's not folks that crave "work-life" balance. We have an opportunity to be something truly great that we can be proud of. Double-down on the ones that ARE doing the best work of their career.

"Great Place to Start Off Your Sales Career"

Current Employee - SDR III in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - SDR III in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SocialChorus (More than a year)

Pros

+ Competitive compensation. (If you're a high-performing SDR, you can make +80k)
    + Great opportunity for career and skills development. (You will get VERY good at selling on the phone)
    + Management sets goals and you're given freedom to choose the best way to achieve them.
    + Management is dedicated to improving the company and the lives of employees.

Cons

- Demanding work-life balance is not for those who want a 9-5 job; but that trains you to carve out time for yourself.

Advice to Management

It's an exciting time to be at SocialChorus. Phenomenal company. We just need to focus on executing the plan over the next 6 months.

Jan 23, 2017 – VP, Finance & Operations

Thank you for the feedback and review. We truly believe in a meritocracy for our sales team. We don't cap commissions and we do not cap your career track at our team. Sales is pretty quantitative so... More

9. "Well Positioned for the Future"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SocialChorus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great new leadership (VP of Sales, VP of Engagement, VP of Customer Success) - bringing fresh ideas and energies to the organization
    - Big companies are looking to our platform to solve real challenges in their business
    - Ahead of the competition not only in vision but also product
    - Huge career growth and earnings potential

Cons

- New technology that takes time to sell into organizations - long sales cycles
    - Moving at a rapid pace sometimes means not always documenting everything

Advice to Management

Continue to emphasize our value and uniqueness as a communications platform to the largest companies in the world
    Make sure all employees from the start know what makes us unique in the market place and why we are superior to all other providers

Jan 6, 2017 – VP, Finance & Operations

Hello. We sincerely appreciate the feedback. Our new leadership not only bring decades of relevant perspective but a highly curious thoughtful empathy to our buyer and customers which will be mission... More

10. "Long vision, focused on driving value for customers and employees"

I have been working at SocialChorus full-time

Pros

A results driven, very transparent and committed work culture. Employees are very empowered to make decisions for themselves to help the company and take control of their career.

The new product & engineering teams have really made an impact over the past 6-12 months and it is exciting to see their hard work come to fruition. As a result, the product has significantly differentiated from competition from other startups and large incumbents in the communications space.

SocialChorus works with some of the best brands in the world such as Anheuser-Busch, Johnson & Johnson, Hilton, MetLife, Dow Chemical, J. Crew and it's really rewarding to collaborate with them and drive value for these organizations.

The company is focused on driving value not based on yesterday's challenges, but the future's opportunities.

Cons

Free lunch only once per week!!!!

Advice to Management

Continue to hire and invest in the best people, and only the best.

Jan 6, 2017 – VP, Finance & Operations

Transparency is no only important to us but creating a culture of commitment to one another's well being is even more paramount. We embrace this philosophy at work but also as human beings. We foster... More