Society Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Chad Richeson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Company events and afternoon happy hours (in 4 reviews)

• Reasonably well-stocked kitchen (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • BEWARE NO MATTER WHAT EXCUSES THEY TELL YOU (in 2 reviews)

"Great place if starting in consulting"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant/Program Manager/Business Analyst in Redmond, WA

I worked at Society Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Small company, with lots of opportunity for knowledge sharing and socializing. Good plan for growth.

Cons

Can be a bit cliquish.

"BEWARE BEWARE BEWARE"

Pros

Dine at nice places and the consultants are skilled

Cons

The count of those that marked "helpful" under the negative reviews as opposed to the positive reviews tells you everything you need to know! BEWARE NO MATTER WHAT EXCUSES THEY TELL YOU. THEY LIE!

"Love Society, Dislike who Acquired them"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Society Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Consultants not located at HQ work remotely serving clients in their local market.
    Coworkers were great to work with as a team on a project
    Provide hardware (laptop, dock station, monitor) for desk set up if remote

Cons

Things turned sour for me after Society was acquired by EY. It didn't feel like the right fit since Society is not in the accounting/finance/risk business. True, this big 4 firm has a consulting/advisory arm but still, it didn't feel right.

It is THE reason why I am seeking another job at the moment. The big 4 firms make me feel as if I should be so grateful for the chance to work with them. I am not fresh out of college or MBA school. I am an experienced professional who does not work in accounting/finance/risk. When I tell people what I do and who I work for, they look at me like "huh? EY does that?". Not doing my resume any good

Advice to Management

I don't have any since previous management is no longer the true management. The firm that acquired Society is so large I actually have no idea who is and who isn't management ha.

"Fun company, work hard/play hard atmosphere"

Former Employee - Finance Department in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Finance Department in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Society Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, cool building. Company events and afternoon happy hours. Company pays for stocked kitchen and some breakfast and lunches. Happy working environment. You work hard, they will reward you. Allows friendly dogs.

Cons

work life balance was off - maybe different for others in different departments. Long hours worked and for salary (no additional benefit but still a requirement of the job). No real access for development and moving up in the company.

"Excellent company, one of the best"

I worked at Society Consulting full-time

Pros

Flexible, lots of smart people, treat their employees very well

Cons

This is not really a con, but the culture is a bit youth-focused and cliquey. The management team tends to just hire their friends for all internal positions, so there was very much an "in-crowd", including the owners, who were always going to Hawaii together, etc. Awkward for those of us who were not included.

6. "Great mid-sized consultancy in customer experience space"

I have been working at Society Consulting full-time

Pros

Open, collaborative environment. Friendly management. Very good relationship with clients. High job security as far as consultancies go (stable).

Cons

Client portfolio could be more diverse

"one of the best consultancies I've worked at."

Current Employee - Consultant in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Society Consulting full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good office environment with flexible options for telecommuting and otherwise. The work-life balance here is great! Decent benefits, great bunch of people, and a willingness from ownership team to solve any workplace or cultural concerns.

Cons

It's consulting work, so if you're longing to own a program and drive deep strategic vision, you should be looking at one of their clients, not at an agency. You can get pigeonholed into samey, silo'd work if you don't develop yourself outside of working hours. Sometimes management has been defensive about feedback, but they do rally and come with heartfelt intention to improve the workplace.

Advice to Management

Y'all are going great - keep thinking big! It's all about redefining the big data space in the next century, moving past the webspace into IOT work.

"Odd Management structure"

I have been working at Society Consulting full-time

Pros

Overall, this is really a great company. I've worked as a contractor at several others and this company really has made an effort to treat their contractors as employees and not $'s like a lot of others out there. They have a large support system for employees. most of the executives and management do seem to care. The overall culture is great and they now have a very clear defined vision for the company.

Cons

The PTO is pretty bad. I understand that billable time is how this company generates revenue, as all consultancies. The accrual process is a problem since life does not work that way. After 3 years you are maxed out on the amount of time you are allowed.

The owners manage the employees. This seems odd. There is no place to escalate problems properly out of fear. The "HR" is not a true HR. I get the feeling that they just turn around and tell the owners or have zero voice to stand up to them.

Advice to Management

There is evaluation process for employees but none for the management. The employees should be able to evaluate their managers as well. A lot of frustration that is spoken of but never voiced due to the owners being managers. Some of the managing directors seem less concerned with keeping their clients happy and more concerned with making more money. They act like sales people. Seems to be a conflict of interest. My client is very frustrated. The account manager also seems to be the managing director and seems to only care about the new business while neglecting the other. I really have no place to escalate any frustrations besides my own client I'm supporting.

"Wonderful Organization!"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Society Consulting full-time

Pros

I've been working at Society Consulting for almost five years and it's a wonderful place to work. Not saying that it's perfect, because no company is - but if you're someone exploring the idea of working at Society Consulting, I hope this helps. Also - I'm rating this a four because there's always room for improvement. At Society you will work with bright people. The clients are impressive, the work is interesting, opportunity abounds if you seek it out. The hours are flexible and reasonable. If you want to work 60 hours a week, do it…. but likely your boss isn't expecting you to. This is an incredible thing - both of my siblings work at the largest consulting firm and are expected to work 60+ hours a week minimum, no joke. Society is in a great location, nice offices, a wonderful culture such as learning events, parties etc. Once a year they fly everyone out to Bellevue for a few days of fun, training and so on which is expensive for the company but makes a huge difference for us. At Society, you'll work alongside people from diverse personal and professional backgrounds, which helps to bring many different viewpoints to life at the organization. The benefits and comp are in-line with industry standards or better… For example, Society pays 100% of my medical premium which is pretty amazing. We get ten days PTO and while I wish I had started with more, after a few years you get 12 days, and then 15.

Cons

A few of the conference rooms at HQ echo so if you are remote, it is tough to hear what's going on. I would like to see this fixed so I can hear folks on the line during performance reviews, 1-1s, company meetings etc.

Advice to Management

Being a super creative person, working in the field of analytics can often be isolating for various reasons. I think it's just the nature of the industry. I'd like to see Society do more to promote, encourage and evangelize creativity. The last two Society Day speakers were great for example. Keep up the great work - there is a lot to be proud of.

"A Consulting Firm Invested in Personal Growth"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at Society Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Society, more than any firm I have read about, values their employees as more than just resources. Personal growth opportunities are everywhere, and they are currently working to eliminate the dreaded "bench". Even the current bench differs greatly from most firms, as it provides pay for a period of time, and is used in VERY rare cases currently.

Cons

Not a con for me, but they tend to throw their consultants in the thick of it for their flex skills. So expect to learn by doing much of the time!

PTO and Benefits could be improved (a fact management acknowledged at the last company meeting). This should be removed from this column shortly.

Advice to Management

Additional, or more flexible PTO, would be a great draw, as would flexible or compressed work weeks (when allowed by the client).