Sodexo Reviews in Columbus, OH | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sodexo CEO Michel Landel
Michel Landel

Pros
  • Good work life balance if you are in the right job (in 52 reviews)

• Good benefits, growth structure is sound (in 97 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, work-life balance not great (in 53 reviews)

• Busy sometimes long hours / weekends (in 80 reviews)

1. "Great Internship Opportunities for Event Sales"

Current Intern - Event Sales in Columbus, OH
    Current Intern - Event Sales in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Sodexo as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is very accommodating to your schedule which makes this a wonderful opportunity for students. The Event Sales team will also include you in all aspects of planning an event from responding to sales inquiries, creating proposals and floor plans, and the overall set-up and tear-down.

Cons

If there are too many interns at once with little work to get done, the environment can become monotonous and frustrating at times.

Advice to Management

None

2. "If youre nor looking to make real money"

Current Employee - Cashier in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Cashier in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Sodexo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Weekly paycheck is the best thing. The work isn't really hard guess it depends on your location or contract

Cons

You really can't make a living working here by itself they just don't give raises when you ask for them all they say is that's what the position pays and if you're full time they will tell you well you're getting sick time and vacation time it's really a job for people who need little to no income

Advice to Management

If you want to know what I'd going on in a situation you need to look for yourself rather than throw people under the bus causing friction between employees is not good for the company

3. "Corporate Services - A lot of Integrity built Into Systems - Good for Clients - Not always great for managers"

Current Employee - General Manager in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - General Manager in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Sodexo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Don't work weekends. Your unit is basically your business to run as long as you do not have any problems and meet your financial goals,l which has givne me the opportunity to build a good team. If you are willing to move nationally there are always many opportunities.

Cons

I was told I was expected to work 50 hours a week as a salaried manager - I started as an hourly - and I agreed to this; funny though, that I have to enter my time as an 8 hour shift. I wanted to train with another GM at another account for a week before taking on the troubled account they were giving me,but was told there was not time - "Have to get someone in there." Don't accept that and make the same mistake I did. My boss basically gave me the keys and moved on sending me the the "so glad you are there" email as I out out fire after fire. It was hell figuring everything out and taking care of an account where the client was questioning if our company was the right one going forward.

Have to work the weekend? No worries - my boss does not allow any comp time... No operational - direct marking assistance or culinary assistance - help for small to mid sized accounts in my region- the company has cut back through attrition to meet their financial goals.

Last year they cut DM performance increases. This year (2014) they cut GM increases. I have always gotten above average increases = 4%. I rated that again last year but only got 1% because only managers below median salary were allowed their full increase because the company is trying to meet their financial goals.

Take it as a pro or con but it is very difficult to terminate an employee for any reason.

Advice to Management

Take a look at the pros and cons listed. I have voiced my concern to my DM that I am not very satisfied because I cannot perform at the level I would like because I do not have enough in unit or out of unit support and work too many hours as it is (10-12 hours a day plus take home work or come in over the weekend). Absolutely no work life balance - Sodexo talks about it, but I have less and less. I think work life balance is limited to the people who write the polices and hourlys because we don't allow or strictly limit overtime. I went home sick after nine hours the other day and was amazed at how it felt to have so an extra couple of hours - do I need to put in sick time for that?

I was told there is not money for anyone to provide direct support to units at a district level. What is the direct and indirect cost of hiring a new unit manager to the company, to the client and to the turnover it will more than likely cause on the hourly side? I have worked for Sodexo for 12 years but if I have my way I will be helping you to find that out.

Sodexo Response

Mar 14, 2014 – Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to post. I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing these things and would encourage you to contact your HR director to discuss and resolve issues as they occur because ... More

4. "Fair on all Accounts"

Current Employee - Server in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Server in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Sodexo part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay was more than fair. The opportunities for benefits, tuition reimbursement, etc was readily available. Management was always available.

Cons

There was not a lot of room for advancement. At least there was not a lot of room for advancement in my area. Also much of the work I did was seasonal.

"It is a great job but has little room for advancement."

Current Employee - Suite Server in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Suite Server in Columbus, OH

Pros

The money was excellent. The work environment was pleasant and management was easy to communicate with. If your plan is to be a long term employee they have many helpful programs.

Cons

There is favoritism with some of the management and certain employees. During events management is not always as accessible as necessary.

Advice to Management

You do a great job at recognizing employees for achievements and the opportunity for effective communication is common. Some employees are shown quite a bit of favoritism.

"It's a job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Pros

All I can say is that it's a job in a bad economy. People do have to eat so it is probably not a job that will go away.

Cons

I've only worked at one Sodexo location so I don't know if it is any different at other but the pay is poor, the manager never has a good word for anything and you have to work six years before you get more than 5 days vacation.

Advice to Management

It doesn't hurt to say someone has done something good on occasion. Constant criticism helps no one and only leads to constant turnover of staff.

Showing 6 of 2,475 reviews