Sodexo Reviews in New York, NY | Glassdoor

Sodexo CEO Michel Landel
Michel Landel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Long hours, work-life balance not great (in 56 reviews)

• Busy sometimes long hours / weekends (in 82 reviews)

1. "Great company"

Current Employee - Business Developent Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Developent Manager in New York, NY

Pros

People oriented company. Family owned. Good values
    Great oportunity for entrepeneurial mindset . Complex Deal Making. Good work -life balance

Cons

French politics are to the roof. It lacks strong processes or Method. In many ways it is the oposite to a us company

Advice to Management

----------------------------------------

Jul 18, 2017 – Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

Happy to hear you've been enjoying your time here and that you've found flexibility and new opportunities to grow!

2. "Save yourself the trouble"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Sodexo full-time

Pros

Not many, but you occasionally work with others who value positive and professional culture.

Cons

Sodexo is an old-school, hierarchical organization. Managers don't see team members as colleagues or peers. The IT organization is VERY flat, with zero room to grow...one or two postings for other positions, compared to hundreds in other companies.

Work-life balance. A good slogan. However, my management thinks I should take a 30 minute lunch (I am salaried) and work 55 hours a week (again, I am salaried).

All in all, I have worked for worse, but not many. If you are an IT professional, don't stunt your career by working here.

3. "The most diverse company I have worked for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Sodexo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

When it comes to diversity and inclusion this is a great company. I enjoy the people I work with and for

Cons

Long hours, not real work life balance

4. "prep"

Former Employee - Prep in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Prep in New York, NY

Pros

i j injoy the work preparing food is very rewarding

Cons

the hrs can be a loittle to must

Advice to Management

know your employee

5. "Worked there a long time ago (before 2012)"

Former Employee - Financial Controller in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Financial Controller in New York, NY

I worked at Sodexo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Big company so lots of opportunities to move within the company.
    Good benefits for medical and tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Seemed very political within management - opportunities seemed available based on who you knew rather than on work performance, but this was about 8 years ago and may have been the specific location that I was at.

Advice to Management

Don't move people around so much from account to account.

Aug 23, 2016 – Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to share, even if it's been awhile since you've been with Sodexo. Because we are a large company, there is a lot of room for growth and advancement. Even with internal... More

6. "Terrible management and work culture in JFK Delta Sky Club"

Former Employee - Floor Attendant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Floor Attendant in New York, NY

I worked at Sodexo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid sick days (5 days)
    Paid vacation (5 days or 40 hours a year)
    401k
    Health benefits
    Discounts
    Flexible hours

Cons

There is no room for advancement or even cross training. You could be there for 2 years and be in contention for a certain position but ultimately they will hire and fill these positions. Before they do inhouse promoting they bring in new people. Regardless if you're experienced enough to do the job they will not crosstrain you unless you're a personal favorite. The company also lies about certain undesirable positions during interviews in order to fill them. There is also no formal training for ANY of the positions. You are basically thrown into the workplace and expected to perform as if you already know what you are doing. The environment is not professional or structured. The place is usually dirty unless it is very early in the morning or late at night. There is usually not enough people on shift on any given day. These things are usually overlooked, instead your performance is based more on your attitude towards management. The workload is too much for the pay and your raise comes once a year for 27 cents. The supervisors are about as experienced and trained as the average worker there, sometimes even less. The management plays favorites a lot as well and goes off of a lot of he said she said when they do step in to mediate. For the most part if you are well liked (by management not your peers) there is a lot of blind eye. Punishments, when they are served, are usually for the most trivial things and seem as if they are personal. They are excessive and done as a way to set an "example." Usually if you do not get along with management or the supervisors they will create an uncomfortable environment (following you, micromanaging you, constantly telling you how poor your performance is, telling people not to speak to you, engaging in gossip like conversations with workers about the fate of your job, telling you of numerous write ups that usually do not exist, subjected to certain racial or sexist statements and I mean that honestly, etc.). A few times I was actually followed in to the bathroom by a supervisor to make sure I did not spend too much time in there. When I approached management I was told I was "paranoid, a bully, abrasive, aggressive, nitpicking, etc." all because I stated that it is an invasion of my privacy and I would have to take it to HR if it continued. My only advice for making it in that environment is to get on good terms with management or take all your concerns directly to HR. Unfortunately you cannot go through the chain of commands beacuse most things are disregarded when you stay inhouse.

Advice to Management

Treat all situations and employees fairly. Instead of micromanaging every single employee try to find productive solutions.

Nov 24, 2015 – Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

I'm very sorry to hear about the situation that you've described, specifically related to internal promotion. This is a big part of Sodexo culture, and many of our managers have moved up through the... More

7. "Great training"

Former Employee - Chef in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Chef in New York, NY

I worked at Sodexo full-time

Pros

Well organized and professional company providing great training tools for employees . Nationwide locations with promotional and relocation potential.

Cons

The pay varies from account to account and is not always as high as in regular non food service employees, which is often tied to budget of contract, but the family friendly hours make up for it.

Advice to Management

Perhaps hire better quality workers with better pay , who will in turn due to experience require smLker numbers of workers allowing to stay in budget.

Oct 5, 2015 – Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

While it appears you no longer work for Sodexo, I want to thank you for your review and for your time at the company. It's great to hear that you were able to enjoy work/life balance, as well as... More

8. "Good Job"

Current Employee - Environmental Services Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Environmental Services Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Sodexo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work schedules, offers plenty of educational oportunity, lots of opportunities to move up, good benefits, equal oportunity for many different situations

Cons

Typical cons, if you the opportunity you have to be willing to find them, hard work is not enough

Aug 31, 2015 – Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and other potential candidates. The pros you've mentioned are great, and I'm happy to hear these have been valuable to you. Thank you for your years of... More

9. "The company has emphasized profit over service and quality!"

Former Employee - Patient Services Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Patient Services Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Sodexo offers a very wide choice of employment opportunities and locations. Management skills
    are taught and reinforced periodically though not revered. Production management is hands on learning.
    The companies current growth offers the possibility of upward mobility, or at least a change in location.

Cons

I worked for MMS before it was bought out by Sodexo. I worked for Sodexo over 15 years and have seen it change from service and quality focus to a much more pronounced profit focus. Upper management has also grown at a faster rate then "hands on" management. Senior management recently sent to my Account a District Manager who had never worked with food service at all. She wandered in and out for 3 months, then resigned. Not much help.
     Then the Account signed a new contract with Sodexo and we were besieged with new Upper level Mgrs. who rolled out great plans but failed to explain how we were to get there from here. Then, over the next 6 months, they too began to resign or leave for different accounts because the changes were not looking probable. Through this, the new management developed an adversarial relationship with the Client which added to an already seriously stressful work environment. Very, very poor upper level management.

Advice to Management

Regain the focus on Service Excellence and Quality. Just lip service is an embarrassment. If you cut Quality and Service, you may as well get out of the business...

10. "Food Service"

Current Employee - Food Service Handler in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Food Service Handler in New York, NY

I have been working at Sodexo (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a friendly fun atmosphere, where you can learn a lot, while working. I'm able to eat free and take food home.

Cons

I have to do a lot when I'm working and I'm always the last one to leave. There isn't no room for growth.

Advice to Management

I think management should be around more often, after-hours.

Jul 20, 2015 – Employment Branding Sourcing Manager

As a current employee, I would like to address your comment about growth opportunity. Internal promotion is a huge part of Sodexo culture, and many of our managers and above began in frontline or... More

Showing 23 of 2,577 reviews