Sodexo Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Denis Machuel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Work / life Balance, should be considered" (in 72 reviews)

• "Poor communication from upper management" (in 105 reviews)

1. "good"

I worked at Sodexo part-time

Pros

the pay was good and people are friendly

Cons

there arent any glaring issues

2. "Patient Food Services Supervisor"

Current Employee - Patient Food Services Supervisor
    Current Employee - Patient Food Services Supervisor

I have been working at Sodexo part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun people. Healthy environment. A lot of growth and expansion.

Cons

Some people are need either retire or switch positions.

Advice to Management

Rotate employees that have been in the same position for 10+ years.

3. "Get ready for a long read..."

Former Employee - Unit Marketing Coordinator
    Former Employee - Unit Marketing Coordinator

I worked at Sodexo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- GREAT pto
    - good benefits
    - huge company which means lots of opportunity to move up/change career direction (especially if you're willing to move)
    - has accounts literally all over the world
    - company genuinely seems to care about their employees
    - values as far as sustainability/the environment, work life balance, committed to fighting hunger, etc
    - decent pay
    - regional and district managers are pretty helpful and willing to help you, even if you don't fall in their territory
    - lots of conference/training calls

Cons

I feel like I could write an entire book about my experience but I'll try and keep it short. First off, the pay at initial hire seemed extremely fair if you compare salaries with similar titles around the country. HOWEVER, once you really get into the job you feel like the pay is way too low for the amount of work the position actually entails. Reading the job description seems very fair for the wage, but there's so many more tasks and responsibility that comes with the job that wouldn't be clear just from reading the description. This is also dependent on the size of your account. If you're at a small account (like I was), you will most likely be the only one in the department, therefore you are responsible for everything, hence why the pay seems too low for the job. The larger accounts that have several people in the department may not feel that way since there's more people to share the work. I personally would have been much happier at a larger account that actually had team members. It's tough being the only one in a department and having everything fall on you and it can feel like you're very isolated. If there is an event or something that needs to be done, and you're sick or have an emergency, there's literally no one else that can cover for you. You just have to find a way to come in. If you're the only marketing member, you are literally responsible for everything: social media, events, email communications, dining promotions, sales, event and dining venue decorations, signage, website, all marketing materials and graphics (although you don't actually do the graphic design, you're in charge of overseeing the process), and way more that I can't even think of right now. Oh and the annual raises are a joke- pretty sure my annual raise was like $.70.

Second, the disconnect between your account (unit) and corporate is huge and can often cause confusion and difficulty. Your account may feel one way about a specific topic, while corporate feels another way, so you sometimes have to decide which side to agree with. It's a constant battle between pleasing your account and pleasing corporate/doing what YOU think should be right.

Going off of my second point, the chain of command is pretty confusing. As a marketing person, you technically report to the GM of the facility (who obviously doesn't know about marketing), but you get all of your marketing support and knowledge for the corporate marketing team. Just makes for an awkward flow of communication. It also makes your annual review challenging. The reviews are done by your unit managers (GM, etc) and again, they typically do not have marketing experience and don't know the ins and outs of what you do on a daily basis, so it seems unfair that they are the only ones who review you. It should be your unit managers as well as your regional marketing support.

Next, your account definitely determines whether or not you will enjoy your experience working for Sodexo. My account was less than sub par. We had a very high turnover rate of managers which really hinders the cohesiveness of your management team. Terrible lack of communication, constant negative energy, tense working environment, every man for himself type feel, etc. It also doesn't help when your account (school) is difficult to work for. They have no professional experience with dining, yet they somehow get to make major decisions regarding it. You constantly have to answer to them, which adds to the confusion of the chain of command.

Next, this might not be a con for everyone, but the pressure to always be high energy for the account is pretty annoying. Obviously you shouldn't be grumpy all of the time, but the other managers see this position as a "cheerleader" for the account and always want you out on campus promoting your services/events and it can be exhausting. If you're not super outgoing and energetic on a daily basis, the position may not be right for you.

Overall, working at Sodexo can either be an amazing or terrible experience depending on the account that you work at. It's really hit or miss and unfortunately, there's no way to really tell until you're actually working at the account. Luckily, if you don't like your account, there are opportunities to transfer, but that often requires moving.

Advice to Management

- Pay employees based on the actual responsibility required for the job at the specific account. All accounts require different things and should be paid accordingly. Smaller accounts that only have 1 marketing person should pay better than larger accounts who have shared responsibilities.

- Increase your standard annual raises (not even $1 for working my @$$ off all year, really?!)

- Find a way to have a better flow of communication/reporting between the unit managers, corporate, regional team, etc

- I understand that it's costly and tough to coordinate, but more conference/team building activities with marketing members outside of your account are extremely helpful. I think everyone can agree that the Feb 2018 marketing conference was a great experience and it would be nice to interact with our fellow Sodexo marketers more, even if it's done on a smaller scale by region.

- Find a way to make the other unit managers (GM, chef, etc) more understanding of what the marketing job entails. They often don't fully understand the role of the marketing person and just look at them as a pep cheerleader who makes signs.

- Provide more direction for the marketers, especially in the beginning, especially when they are the only marketing member at the account. When I first started at my account I often felt like "what am I supposed to be doing?"

- Try and create a standard when it comes to things like social media and give credit where credit is due. Some unit accounts, specifically instagram, are great - beautiful photography, graphics, flyers, etc, while others have awful grammar, terrible flyers, bad photography, etc. I never heard one positive thing about my instagram account even though I spent a lot of time on it to make sure that it always had correct grammar, nice graphics, etc. There were several accounts in my region who had pretty poor accounts and it seems that nothing was done to fix them.

- Sustainability is always being preached, yet we are sent a TON of unnecessary boxes/papers/posters/ etc that often just get thrown into a storage room (or thrown away) and wasted. I think the unit should request specific items that they want instead of just automatically sending a boat load of items all the time. It's a waste of materials, but also it's a pain to always be digging through packages and organizing them and trying to carry heavy boxes to wherever you store them.

4. "Student Manager at University"

Current Employee - Student Man in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Student Man in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Sodexo part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Part-time Work and Study. The manager is really nice and helpful. Flexible schedule

Cons

Work end at 11pm as a part-time student job

5. "Good Company"

I worked at Sodexo full-time

Pros

There are lots of new things to learn

Cons

Management is not always helpful or caring.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and make them feel like people and not just numbers.

6. "..."

Current Employee - Sous Chef in Wilson, NC
    Current Employee - Sous Chef in Wilson, NC

I have been working at Sodexo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The speed of getting promoted

Cons

Management forgets that we are all adults

Advice to Management

No comment

7. "My experience with Sodexo has been great, my management team is growing and I love it."

Current Employee - Resident Dining Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Resident Dining Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Sodexo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Upper management is always there when you need guidance, training or really anything.

Cons

One thing I would say is we’re always open and never closed as much as I’d like.

Advice to Management

My advice is let’s keep it up and I can’t wait to see what the future holds!

8. "Clinical Dietitian"

I have been working at Sodexo part-time

Pros

great resources for professional development

Cons

low pay, not competitive for the area

9. "Was overall enjoyable, but can be a little lost on their goals"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Fairfax, VA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Fairfax, VA

I have been working at Sodexo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible Hours for busy schedules and offer a 401k

Cons

High turnovers would setback productivity for us sometimes

10. "Progressive Company"

I worked at Sodexo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Well respected global organization with very progressive thoughts/ideas.

Cons

As with large organizations, there are too many layers to get approvals and get things moving forward.