Sodexo Reviews | Glassdoor

Sodexo CEO Michel Landel
Michel Landel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Cons

1. "Too "Corporate" to pay attention!"

Former Employee - Head Chef in Blackwood, NJ
    Former Employee - Head Chef in Blackwood, NJ

I worked at Sodexo (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits (health & retirement), schedule flexibility, world wide so getting a position simple enough, experience gained and (depending on where the job is) they tend to pay higher than minimum wage when starting.

Cons

Corporation is so large that the smaller "subsidiary" branches of the company are not paid much attention to. Their website does nothing but praise their "employee enrichment" programs but that's only if you are working for management that's willing to help you. Work for management that's more interested in the bottom dollar and not only will they not help you improve your career experience but will in fact make it known that at any moment you will be "let go" if your schooling, schedule availability, and personal life disrupts their ability to keep the corporation pleased with low expenses (pay rates, supplies, costs that disability/vacation/sick leave) and HIGH profit. They would fire an 11yr employee (w/NO prior incidents on file) for excessive latenesses due to being homeless before trying to help with a paid leave of absence, transfer to a more accessible location or offer a pay raise to enable them to obtain affordable housing. Corporation is money first, public appearances second, management third and then maybe they consider all the employees who actually enable them to operate on a daily basis as they do. Again, this depends on your immediate management and the size of the branch you're working at. I'm sure that at their several corporate offices, the stuff you read on their website might actually be true but I never experienced ANY of it in the eleven years of employment.

Advice to Management

Pay closer attention to those who you believe are acting accordingly with the policy and procedures you've been trained to pass on and enforce. Don't always stop at the "management" of an establishment. You want honest feedback go to the everyday employee with reassurance that what is said doesn't effect their job security by writing up an "anonymous employee experience" questionnaire then read and pay attention to what's being said. Should there be an issue with one particular employee, please take the time to talk with and consider true what they are telling you. They need their job and if they're afraid of loosing it, they'll tell you what they think you want to hear. Also, false promises don't do anyoone any good so if you offer your help, then HELP! Don't back away because of what you've been told by someone else or overheard during a meeting you don't have any idea of the "why's" OR "what for's" because not having a full and accurate account of the situation can be devastating to one where another may benefit.

2. "Sodexo"

Current Employee - Catering Supervisor
    Current Employee - Catering Supervisor

I have been working at Sodexo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I love my coworkers.

Cons

I find my account to be difficult in the catering sense. I tend to work for “picky” clients and the majority of them are self-entitled and rude. The time off sucks financially. I’m considered full time but receive no benefits such as paid vacations, sick days, or any of the sort.

Advice to Management

Stand up for your staff.

3. "Clinical Dietitian"

I have been working at Sodexo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Job security, accounts spread throughout the US, facilitating relocation.

Cons

Terrible company for women. Healthcare packages include clauses like excluding prenatal low risk ultrasounds from routine care, making them fully billable. Short term disability clauses that classify pregnancy as "pre existing conditions". No maternity leave benefits. Stagnant wages, raises of approximately 2% for above expectation performance.

4. "Human Resource Assistant"

I have been working at Sodexo full-time

Pros

Free meals during work hours

Cons

Laid off during winter and summer school breaks
    Low pay for experienced employees
    Little opportunity to move up within company locally
    Have to pay for your own parking for first 6 months

"General Manager"

Former Employee - General Manager in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - General Manager in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Sodexo full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company for Food & Dietary careers

Cons

Sketchy future for Facilities careers...focus & recent upper management 'adjustments' are great folks from foods with little clue of real-world Facilities Management - Sad.

Advice to Management

Between the front-line & upper elite are GM's & DM's which pour themselves into their work - they are NOT expendable commodities at best nor garbage at worst!
    You might take just a fraction of the resources you dedicate to Political Correctness & social agendas & invest into setting up your accounts correctly in the first place & actually supporting mid-level management...maybe you'll actually retain some good people in the process!
    CEO is a Great Guy but his minions are oblivious to those on the lower rungs of management.

"I was mislead into relocating to a remote location as a manager to then have my position eliminated 9 months later."

Current Employee - Chef Manager in Alamosa, CO
    Current Employee - Chef Manager in Alamosa, CO

I have been working at Sodexo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They give you the illusion of prosperity and growth. They spend money and time training /on boarding managers.

Cons

Management positions are very fickle and the company does not care whos lives they affect. They relocated me, trained me, to then "eliminate the position " do to financial reasons 9 months later. Funny it was the second time in 2 years they did the same scam to the kitchen manager before me. Now my family is in crisis thanks to sodexo the so called quality of life services company.

Advice to Management

Communication is key

7. "Retail Manager"

I have been working at Sodexo full-time

Pros

Corporate philosophy and training seems valuable

Cons

Local upper management does not provide proper guidance, tools or support...setting up lower managers for failure and unnecessary struggle.

Advice to Management

Evaluate local district processes and bring in line with corporate policies and practices. Provide management tools when hired....handbooks, policies and procedures.

"Great benefits but terrible people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Sodexo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Insurance and base pay,

Cons

Management, poor structure, cheap, sexist

Advice to Management

Majority of the management at my unit are men, 82% to be precise. Everyone underneath them is woman or a colored. Management is usually walking around doing absolutely nothing even though stores are falling apart without the proper organization and structure. A handful of people in a management position have arrest records and are friends with their boss. They’ve been promoted based on friendship rather than skill or their resume. The turnover rate is high, most employees and supervisors are quitting.

9. "Food service"

I have been working at Sodexo full-time

Pros

The job I have helps feed the children of Norman Public Schools

Cons

Pay is to low for the value of employees.

Advice to Management

Reward staff by paying higher wages

10. "Poor managent"

Current Employee - Custodian in Covington, LA
    Current Employee - Custodian in Covington, LA

I have been working at Sodexo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great employees to work with

Cons

Low under paid janitorial staff

Advice to Management

Poor management leads to unhappy members

Showing 418 of 2,897 reviews