Soft Surroundings Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Robin Sheldon

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Managers don't Care for lower employees in Call Center (in 2 reviews)

• I received good training for my job - I would like to see even more training for those of us who would like to move up into management positions (in 2 reviews)

1. "Assistant Manager"

I have been working at Soft Surroundings full-time

Pros

great compensation ,benefits and culture

Cons

not a consistent work schedule

2. "Sales"

Former Employee - Sales in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Naperville, IL

I worked at Soft Surroundings part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly staff. Great management Family like atmosphere.

Cons

Wish I got more hours!

Advice to Management

Don't ever change! Funny and compassionate!

3. "Was great then not"

I worked at Soft Surroundings part-time

Pros

Discount on nice products and location

Cons

managers not great both store and district

Advice to Management

Watch the performance of your people

4. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Soft Surroundings full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Wonderful people united through service and purpose.

Cons

Expected growing pains of a company expanding at the rate it is, but exciting for those who thrive in an environment of change.

5. "This is an incredibly toxic work environment"

Former Employee - Packer in Mexico, MO
    Former Employee - Packer in Mexico, MO

I worked at Soft Surroundings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

For an 18 year old fresh out of highschool the pay is above minimum which is nice. They were sensitive to losses in family. If you're there long enough you get a decent amount of vacation time. Thats about it.

Cons

I worked at the distribution center for 4 years. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. The first year of my job my motivation was entirely fear based. I was frequently picked on and yelled at, i walked on eggshells and worried for my job every day. I got yelled at infront of the entire pack line for asking another employee how i should pack a product. The supervisor for first shift never solved conflict, and the supervisor for second shift did nothing but cause conflict. Blatant favoritism was played only for the supervisor to deny that she was playing favorites. People close to the supervisor, her FRIENDS, told me on several occassions nasty and hateful things she said about employees behind their back. Sometimes she even body shamed people by "jokingly" pointing out they were flat chested or had no butt. I was even told that she made very racist remarks regarding someone who applied to our shift but got hired on first because she didn't want them on her shift. Despite only working there for four years by the end of my experience I was in the top 10 people on my shift that had been there the longest including the supervisor. Top 10 out of 60 people and almost all of the people that were there when I started we're not there anymore. Out of the pulling, packing, receiving, locating and returns, I was the oldest employee. I was also trained in many of these departments. I often received good reviews at review time and average raises but I saw other people who worked harder than I did get terrible raises. Because they weren't favoured. Many people would get put in departments they didn't want to be in or had difficulty achieving rate simply so that they could be let go when they couldn't make their numbers. When I first started working there rate was 25 an hour and was fairly easy to achieve. by the time I left rate was 34 an hour and made very difficult to achieve by the fact that work was just more difficult in general. People who were favorited got better work than people who are not. And therefore made rate easier to achieve for them. I saw another review that said that they will push you until you are exhausted to the point that you want to find another job and that is absolutely true. After 4 years of what felt like terrible abuse in a workplace with a bunch of childish people, men and women, young and old, who appeared to have never mentally matured past High School. And a supervisor who is just as childish and uses not taking her medication as an excuse to treat people like crap, i took a significant pay cut just to get out. I didn't put in my two weeks, which i know looks bad and is unprofessional, but i was so terrified my supervisor would make it the worst two weeks of my life. She took it very personally when people quit. It also became very apparent that they did not care about the safety of their workers. I witnessed a drug deal happen in the parking lot and because there were not enough Witnesses they wouldn't do anything about it. There were three Witnesses at least. Their workman's comp is entirely designed to work against you, proven by one of the only co-workers that I liked, when her shoulder became incredibly painful to use from throwing packages over her shoulder. The workman's comp doctor told her that it was an injury required prior to working there. She later went to her own doctor Who stated that was entirely false and it was obvious that the injury was achieved at work. I feel sorry for that girl because she got screwed over probably more than anyone else did in that entire place during her time there. I was treated fairly badly at first but what made me really mad was seeing the injustices that happened to the few good ones. I have so many other stories that we would be here forever if I tried to recount all of the different times I saw sexual harassment, blatant favoritism, and a general lack of human compassion.

Advice to Management

Get new supervisors. The reason that there is such a high employee turnover rate is because when you treat your employees like crap word gets out and nobody wants to work for you except for people that no one else will hire.

"Very open, balanced corporate environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Soft Surroundings full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company is growing incredibly quickly, leading to lots of opportunities for advancement. There is plenty of work/life balance here - I've always been allowed to flex time or take time off as needed, and there is no expectation of working outside your standard 40 hour week. The company has an excellent CEO who really seems to care about the people working there. Benefits are as expected. The team is very friendly at the corporate headquarters.

Cons

Most of the downside in the previous reviews seems to be isolated to people who work in the retail stores and the call center, so I can't speak to that. The only con I can think of is that some departments are set up unusually, as the quick growth of the company re-aligned a lot of groups very quickly.

Advice to Management

Consider outside the box ideas, even if they are contrary to what a traditional direct mail retailer does.

7. "Accounting Department"

I worked at Soft Surroundings full-time

Pros

Very positive team environment where people are supportive and like working together.

Cons

Lots of growth which equates to lots of work and sometime hours.

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Naperville, IL

I worked at Soft Surroundings part-time

Pros

People I worked with were very nice.

Cons

Manager often swears, makes promises she doesn't keep. Doesn't know how to run store or treat employees. Over hires and cuts hours. Too much tension in store and too much gossip.

Advice to Management

Need to check on Managers in stores. Managers should not be swearing at employees and putting them down all the time. They should encourage and set a positive attitude. Not talk rudely in front of customers.

"Good, but not great."

Former Employee - Key Holder in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Denver, CO

I worked at Soft Surroundings full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great teams and stores. Fun atmosphere. Amazing clothes. Lots to learn about new products and materials and scents.

Cons

Corporate is not on the same page as the retail stores, like most retailers. Communication is key to make sure everyone is on the same page and that just doesn't happen here, which can be frustrating. For example, promotions online are not reflected in the stores and vice versa. This also applies to visuals. Also, pay is low for what the job requires.

Advice to Management

My advice would be for corporate to communicate exactly what they want in terms of promotions and visuals and everything in between. Don't beat around the bush. Stop changing your minds from one day to the next. Be consistent throughout all management, both retail and corporate. Everyone's opinions DO matter, but at the end of the day, we can only accomplish so much as a team. Make sure corporate remembers that we are busy stores both on the phones and in person. Quit throwing so many tasks in one week. It's hard to multi task when there's no payroll hours and little direction or help!

10. "ok"

I worked at Soft Surroundings full-time

Pros

Cons

Pay sucks Cant complain, could be worse but they are flexible. small growing customer with many many many many many many issues.