SoftRock Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SoftRock CEO Alec Difrawi
Alec Difrawi

Pros
  • I really like how approachable everybody is in this work environment (in 18 reviews)

• Usually free food on Fridays, cool people (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, it's a long day to reach 6 hours of talk time (in 18 reviews)

• Nothing but a bait and switch job to get people to go to school (in 7 reviews)

1. "Employment Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Pros

Cookouts every Friday! Everyone who works there are so friendly.

Cons

You had to meet a certain quota in order to get commission

Advice to Management

All the managers there are very nice!

2. "Not the best place to work"

I worked at SoftRock full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

For being a call center, they could be a lot of fun if you had the right schedule. Every Friday they had a cookout lunch and would really go all out for holidays.

Cons

It was a call center. I was also in the group where they tried the 4 day - 10 hour shifts which was not fun. Being on the phones for 10 hours was exhausting. I would get in at 11am and leave at 10pm, meaning all I did was work on those days. My days off weren't together so I never really got to recoup. And one of those days happened to be a Friday so I never got the perks of being there after training ended. The only day they were closed was Sunday so if you were new there or not performing as well as they wanted, you were most likely working all day Saturday as well. However, they advertise and tell you that you will be working M-F 8:30-6 or something like that. And then they give you your schedule and do nothing to work with you.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees more.

"It was good while it lasted"

Current Employee - Employment Specialist in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Employment Specialist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at SoftRock full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I did make really good money

Cons

No employee recognition unless you wore skimpy clothes and was ready to put out

Advice to Management

Some were good some were a joke

"Stay away... Stay far away"

Former Employee - Education Advisor in Orlando, FL

I worked at SoftRock full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Football, culture, free food, and the parties.

Cons

Really funny that this section is termed con... Alec Difrawi himself is a con.

Advice to Management

Never apply anything that you learned in management to any other position in the future. Also stay far away from Alec.

"Overworked and Underpaid"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Orlando, FL

I worked at SoftRock (More than a year)

Pros

Tons of great people and culture

Cons

lower pay, long hours, tedious upper management

Advice to Management

i was a manager

"The Willy Wonka of secondary education marketing"

Former Employee - Career Specialist in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Career Specialist in Orlando, FL

I worked at SoftRock full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Being around beautiful, idealistic young people who were trying to build careers, and pay their bills. Many of them would sit with me in the break room during lunch to discuss their goals, hopes for marriage and families someday. I saw tremendous potential based on the people that were hired. The employees wanted to create a system that actually produced results to benefit all the unemployed Americans who were disillusioned by Obama's America.

Cons

Seeing an organization of so many talented, enthusiastic people getting conned, while they read scripts to deceive poorly educated people who were desperate to find jobs. In my last few months the management began routing seniors to my desk. These were lonely folks in their 60s-70s, and I would have respectful, motivational conversations with them. Management didn't like that I was going off script, but I told them these prospects had no reason to go into debt for school loans. We parted ways.

Advice to Management

There is a place in the afterlife reserved for the creators of this scam, that will be warm and toasty for you.

"Worst company ever"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Pros

There are no pros for this company

Cons

They are the worst company to work for. They tell you one thing and then they say the laws changed and change everything making it almost impossible to stay.

Advice to Management

None

"50 Shades of SoftRock: Beware of Future Endeavors"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I worked at SoftRock full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free drinks, popcorn, corn hole, etc. (though most of these things were only for recruiting purposes). I created long lasting friendships that transcend the bureaucracy of a corrupt business model.

Cons

SoftRock closed in March of 2016 for good reason, so the intention of this review is to warn job seekers interested in applying for positions in any company managed by or affiliated with Alec Difrawi (Alec Defrawy, Michael Defrawy, Ayman El-Difrawi, Ayman A. El-Difrawi, Ayman Ahmed El-Difrawi or whatever he feels like being called on a day-to-day basis) in the future. Stay away from this man. He shouldn't be allowed to start new companies, but he'll always find a way like the greedy, seedy scam artist he is. It feels so good to say all of these things now. When you float around the inner circle (by working hard, not sexing it up), you quickly learn how bad the gossip is.

Cons of working for this man, the managers he chose, and the horrible empire he built: discrimination, sexual harassment, unfair wages, immoral extracurricular and company activities (girls in bathing suits for a prank on an almost all-male tech department, girls in athletic wear for a silly commercial made for an education partner to like us, drinking on the job, etc.), chauvinistic management practices, false promises (partner-affiliated lawsuit payouts to employees who hadn't received quarterly bonuses or salary raises in a year or more), personal vendettas, and impromptu meetings either early in the morning (an hour or two before your shift starts) or very late in the day (when you should be driving home or you should have already been home for an hour) because Alec "doesn't sleep" and so he thought of another brilliant plan to look like a legit company while still robbing consumers.

Oh I forgot to mention many of these positive Glassdoor reviews are fake, the result of Alec asking his managers and prized personnel to flood these sorts of job boards with positive messages about working for him. In reality, working for him made me resent the marketing business. We duped people, we made false promises to candidates, we fired people for terrible reasons, and we hired the wrong people because they looked great in skirts and low-cut blouses.

If you want to respect yourself, gain actual experience in your industry, and capitalize on that experience in the long run, don't work for any company owned or operated by Alec Difrawi. Run in the other direction. I learned my lesson the hard way, even though I was applying and interviewing for various positions within six months of working there. I somehow lasted (and couldn't leave, because SoftRock was and is a sore spot on my resume) almost three years. Don't waste your precious professional time on him or the brand he's shoving down your throat. He doesn't know what he's talking about and he will never, contrary to his wanton belief, start a truly innovative company like Google. He's not capable, and he's not as smart as he thinks he is.

Advice to Management

Find a conscience and settle into a career that actually leaves the world a better place when you leave it. Forget SoftRock, Alec, and anything else that "shaped you" during your experience there.

"Education Advisor"

Former Employee - Academic Advisor & New Hire Trainer in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Academic Advisor & New Hire Trainer in Orlando, FL

I worked at SoftRock full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There were cook outs every Friday with a theme day and also flag football teams.

Cons

Everything was a con. You were made to be a con artist to get job seekers to talk to a school.

Advice to Management

Don't punish your employees who have morals. It was hard to con people but most needed the income.

"Felt like bait and switch"

I worked at SoftRock full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Promising commissions if you meet their strict sales quoatas

Cons

Sales quotas are very high, and they are quick to release anyone who isn't making the quota within a few days time.

The sales technique used felt like Bait and Switch to me. Potential customers received a message to call concerning a job for which they had applied. Soft Rock "verified the information" on their application, and then began a process of convincing the caller that they needed more education to achieve their goals.

Advice to Management

Be more forthright!