Softchoice Account Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Softchoice President and CEO Vince De Palma
Vince De Palma

Pros
  • You can bring your dog to work and there are a lot of fun events (in 23 reviews)

• Company offers benefits like free lunches, monthly beer cart/social gatherings, a work computer to use anytime, and more (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be bad depending on your position (in 25 reviews)

• In short, the Senior Leadership Team is the problem (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great job/company to set you up for a long career in IT"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- manager is easy to talk to, supports his team, is there to help when needed, trust his employees to do their job (does not micromanage), has great advice and ideas for assisting you in hitting your goals
    - flexibility - whether is be with hours or working from home or vacation
    - can bring you furry friend to the office
    - lots of free training available
    - Seattle office morale is unlike any other work place
    - supportive management all around
    - monthly celebrations
    - great benefits and medical plan

Cons

- pay is not as competitive as it should be
    - days can get monotonous, if you let them
    - can be extremely challenging at times (not sure if that is a con tho :) )

"There's always pros and cons in sales"

I worked at Softchoice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The training was phenomenal and gratuitous. They fly you out to Toronto for 4 weeks, give you a daily allowance, pay for travel, put you up in the hotel connected to the Blue Jays stadium and go as far as to dish out the biweekly paycheck twice while you vacation and train in Canada.

There are always free catered lunches and frequent vendor engagements that occasionally include happy hours. The sales team are a welcoming, fun group to spend 40+ hours per week with. The office has ping pong, vending machines, basketball, corn hole etc. The company has an open pet policy for dogs and provides gym access, sales incentives, and a monthly beer cart tradition.

Cons

This is not for everyone. This is a difficult business and the learning curve is always expanding and growing in complexity.

Following the intense training in The Toronto office, there isn't much direction provided by management. You are basically thrown to the wolves and expected to fail until you get it right. The training manager is unorganized and is constantly sending, rescinding, resending calendar invites for meetings that might not even happen, yet my email rarely received any response. Most of the required training materials that we were supposed to be equipped with were not sent out by management until 10 weeks later. The sales resources ranged anywhere from Vendor/Distribution contacts, sales promos, reasons to call prospects, messaging strategies, marketing Slicks, role playing, objection handling, systems and much more.

Advice to Management

Use delegation as a last resort. Be the support for your sales reps. Positive reinforcement is more effective than negative. Try not to make the person asking you for help feel stupid for wanting to find the correct answer. If you Prepare your sales force for success and be assertive in improving each individuals weaknesses rather than expecting something from nothing, then you wouldn't have an 80% turnover on a $200K monthly investment in training sales reps that will be fired in the first 4 months.

"They like staff young enough not to know better"

I worked at Softchoice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dogs in the office, occasional free food, nice coworkers

Cons

They fly you to Toronto for a month of training, and then send you to your home office where there's zero direction and no real training. You should be given a mentor almost immediately in theory. That may or may not happen. The "classes" are focused entirely on outcalls, which is only really relevant to TSRs. Your "job" as an ISAM is to wander around and ask people if they have work you can help with- that's literally it. Phase 2 management plays favorites and will drum out everyone else- to the point of providing mystery feedback. Literally secret feedback where you don't know what the offense is, who reported it, when it happened, or what was done. You're just told "someone gave negative feedback" and that's that. (Can you actually pretend to be coaching someone if you won't even tell them what was done?)
    They focus on hiring people fresh from college, maybe because the people fresh from college don't realize they should be making more than $35K a year, and that a colorful office full of dogs doesn't really make up for the downsides?

Advice to Management

Your "phase two" training program is a joke. As much as you can say "own your training" and try to put it on the sales staff, a turnover rate that pushes fifty percent is indicative of a much larger and more systemic problem with the company and the program. To even pretend to claim otherwise is dishonest and, frankly, unethical. Not to mention nonsensical. Why spend a fortune sending everyone to Toronto for a month only to have

Softchoice Response

Feb 22, 2017 – Manager, Softchoice Sales Academy

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. All new sales employees - regardless of role - receive a comprehensive onboarding experience designed to condition you for the specific sales ... More

"Inside Sales Account Manager"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Norcross, GA

Pros

First, I love the culture of this company. Softchoice truly believes in a customer first attitude. They are passionate about being a true consultant to their customers and offering the very best in products and services. Softchoice invests in intense training and provides it's employees with the tools they need to be successful. Secondly, I love being challenged and working outside my comfort zone and this job has definitely done that.

Cons

There is a lot to learn. This company is not for the faint of heart but if you work hard and follow the training plans, success will be yours

"TSR-Inside Sales Account Executive"

I worked at Softchoice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They get you by showing their nice interior design, the bring your dog to work benefit, sending you to Canada for training and all the little perks that they tell you they have. What they don't tell you is below.

Cons

This company hires you and sends you to Canada for training for a month- they make grown people stay in a hotel room for a month with a total stranger. They get you to Canada and treat you like a child- the instructors tells you when you get to Canada that if you don't pass training you get fired. No one told you this before they sent you to Canada. They don't tell you that you have a roommate until the last minute when they send you your travel itenerary. How sneaky! You feel like you are in a third world country training for war in their training class. I thought I would get trained as a normal company would do then come back and use what I had learned. Nooo...you get tested every week even after you finish the training in Canada and you're under undue stress to perform like a Harvard Law class. I thought I was being hired because I had the experience to perform the job. All I needed was information about their products. The information is helpful, but the way they go about teaching you is stressful and very freshman college like. Only 1 out of 30 people that trainined with me and passed training still work there after 2 months. Their turnover is horrible. 1 out of 30 people survived their crap and that 1 person is probably no longer there. They also promise you a bonus after training, but look for reasons to fire you so they don't have to pay you that bonus. The training supervisor is soooo negative. They look for reasons to make you a bad sales person instead of finding the good in your work and helping you work better. They have the worse attitudes and are extremely disrespectful to each other and to you. DO NOT WORK THERE! There is alot of bullying and unrealistic expectations. You are expected to make 100 calls a day- talk about carpel tunnel. They don't have automatic dialers. You are literally dialing a telephone key pad. The trainers are looking for reasons to fire you at all times. They really don't have your best interest at heart. It was the worst job I've ever had. I was actually happy to get fired. I hated going there and dealing with their crap everyday. Anyone that has worked there in Inside Sales will say the same. I performed better than anyone and got fired. I was brining in lots of opportunities. The supervisor was so immature - instead of taking my success as a positive she would get with her little mean girl coalition and find reasons to sabotage me and eventually fired me. She would try to bully me in private conversations. If I asked for a day off she pestered me trying to find out what I was doing on my day off. I would not tell her so I knew eventually she would assert her power and fire me. I'm still believeing it was a dream or nightmare...but no it was real..and I'm so happy to be away from that place. Don't be fooled by the PR they get because of the employees that they have whipped into place and are forced to respond positively to the surveys. Best place to work awards in Canada...etc...is not a true reflection of this company. By the way, many of the positive reviews are not real. Any company with the high turnover that they have would not have this many positive reviews. They are slick and know exactly what to do to make themselves look great from the outside looking in. Don't beleive it!

Advice to Management

Revamp your way of hiring and learn to retain employees by treating them good. No one wants to come to work and feel like their job is on the line every day. Bullying isn't managing. Treat people with respect and they will be loyal to you. Change your culture because you will continue to lose with the way your company manages people. You've already gone from a public company to private because of the way the company has been run. It will continue to go down with the way you manage the company. I know....I've been an employee there. It's a horrible place to work. The people make the company. Treat the people with respect!

Softchoice Response

Oct 25, 2016 – Manager, Softchoice Sales Academy

Thanks for your response. Softchoice is 100% committed to promoting a diverse and accepting workplace - for every employee. I wanted to address two aspects of the training experience you described ... More

6. "Sales, sales, sales"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Softchoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere and mostly good people.

Cons

Everyone is disposable. Don't fail on your sales goals. But also don't overdo it or you'll be expected to do way more the next year. Often what money that was promised is much lower or takes way longer to get to than they tell you.

Advice to Management

Training is great but often gets in the way of important deadlines. Maybe set part of a day aside every month for training and stop all work?

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Environment, Excellent Training, Must Love Dogs, Amazing Offices

Cons

Long Training, Small Desks, More Mentors Needed

"Good job, friendly and receptive company"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Seattle, WA

Pros

They let you handle your book of business how you see fit, and if your methods aren't working, they coach you to help you be more successful. They have a great record of promoting from within, and your boss is bound to be someone who excelled at your job and can assist you.

Cons

There's a lot to learn at first, and the company is in the midst of overhauling itself to be more competitive in growing market segments, so there are growing pains occasionally.

Advice to Management

Keep Erik Andersen around, he's the heart of the Seattle office and kept me on board in periods of time where my enthusiasm temporarily waned.

"Testimonial"

Current Employee - Corporate Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Corporate Account Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

The people are amazing and a wonderful work environment. Dog-friendly office, paid benefits, company events, and fantastic training. It really is a fantastic environment here. Softchoice is a leader in the Technology industry and one of the top software and hardware resellers in the world. Managers are open to feedback and willing to answer any questions or concerns you have. A competitive salary, growth opportunities, innovative mindset, and solution led selling. The company has a positive reputation. The culture is great and the work is challenging. You will always be very busy which is wonderful. I’m getting valuable skills working with top caliber talent and engaging in high level conversations. I will recommend a career at Softchoice to individuals that have high standards and would like to work with elite talent both internally and with channel partners. Amazing Company.

Cons

The Toronto Office has Dogs and Chicago is waiting for approval.

10. "Great people and supportive, fun culture, but currently lacking direction"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great, they care about giving back to the community and having fun in the office. The pay is good only if you blow out your numbers. The people are very loyal.

Cons

Trying to move from a product company to a services organization has pulled departments in different directions. As a sales rep, it can be difficult when the company is trying to be 'everything to everybody'

Advice to Management

Narrow the focus. Simply the business strategy