Softchoice Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Softchoice President and CEO Vince De Palma
Vince De Palma
1 Rating

Pros
  • You can bring your dog to work and there are a lot of fun events (in 23 reviews)

• Company offers benefits like free lunches, monthly beer cart/social gatherings, a work computer to use anytime, and more (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be bad depending on your position (in 25 reviews)

• In short, the Senior Leadership Team is the problem (in 16 reviews)

"A pointless company"

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Softchoice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The Toronto training was the best part of joining Softchoice. You get to stay in a great hotel that's also a baseball stadium, with free breakfast everyday, a $1000 stipend for lunch/dinner/whatever, and a wonderful structured training program. The tests are simple and the only way to fail them is if you don't show up to class. Your weekends are yours.
    They have a 401k that they do match.

Lots of companies pop up around the office offering freebies and treats when promoting their products. You also learn a lot about the software and hardware industry.

Cons

The training in Toronto is geared towards the TSS role, not CSR's or ISAM's. You're not aught about internal processes or internal programs. There was zero training once we got to Seattle. You're left to just beg for work from senior team members, that you have no idea how to do. There processes and programs are not intuitive.

It was crazy depressing watching people I spent a month training with leave week after week. We didn't have a manager as she quit. Our replacement was based out of another state and WOULD NEVER reply back to emails. Listening to the recruits do their ridiculous outbound calls(of which they're expected to do a 100) was difficult as they get shot down immediately for annoyingly spamming businesses that already have tech vendors.

The pay is garbage. I immediately found another equivalent level job with a $10k raise.

Apr 24, 2017 – Manager, Softchoice Sales Academy

Thanks for your response. Our Sales Academy is an intensive, 16 week program, with the first 3 weeks hosted at our Toronto HQ. People travel from all over North America to attend the Academy, and we ... More

"They like staff young enough not to know better"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Softchoice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Dogs in the office, occasional free food, nice coworkers

Cons

They fly you to Toronto for a month of training, and then send you to your home office where there's zero direction and no real training. You should be given a mentor almost immediately in theory. That may or may not happen. The "classes" are focused entirely on outcalls, which is only really relevant to TSRs. Your "job" as an ISAM is to wander around and ask people if they have work you can help with- that's literally it. Phase 2 management plays favorites and will drum out everyone else- to the point of providing mystery feedback. Literally secret feedback where you don't know what the offense is, who reported it, when it happened, or what was done. You're just told "someone gave negative feedback" and that's that. (Can you actually pretend to be coaching someone if you won't even tell them what was done?)
    They focus on hiring people fresh from college, maybe because the people fresh from college don't realize they should be making more than $35K a year, and that a colorful office full of dogs doesn't really make up for the downsides?

Advice to Management

Your "phase two" training program is a joke. As much as you can say "own your training" and try to put it on the sales staff, a turnover rate that pushes fifty percent is indicative of a much larger and more systemic problem with the company and the program. To even pretend to claim otherwise is dishonest and, frankly, unethical. Not to mention nonsensical. Why spend a fortune sending everyone to Toronto for a month only to have

Feb 22, 2017 – Manager, Softchoice Sales Academy

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. All new sales employees - regardless of role - receive a comprehensive onboarding experience designed to condition you for the specific sales ... More

"Racist company discrimminate against age and race"

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Chicago, IL

Pros

The best thing was training in Toronto for a month, I had never been to Canada.

Cons

First of all this company hates on CDW so much its crazy! secondly This company only wants people age 20-30 years old. white men are preferred even better if you are a woman you have a good chance only if you are young and blonde if your name is Sarah, you are in.

Advice to Management

stop being racist and favoring young blonde women . get off of cdw stop copying them you will never ever beat CDW! You don't even understand that CDW does not even know you exist!

Nov 18, 2016 – SVP People and Growth

Thank you for sharing your comments, the nature of which are deeply concerning. Softchoice has always promoted a diverse and inclusive workplace. Every member of Softchoice commits to - and is ... More

"TSR-Inside Sales Account Executive"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Softchoice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They get you by showing their nice interior design, the bring your dog to work benefit, sending you to Canada for training and all the little perks that they tell you they have. What they don't tell you is below.

Cons

This company hires you and sends you to Canada for training for a month- they make grown people stay in a hotel room for a month with a total stranger. They get you to Canada and treat you like a child- the instructors tells you when you get to Canada that if you don't pass training you get fired. No one told you this before they sent you to Canada. They don't tell you that you have a roommate until the last minute when they send you your travel itenerary. How sneaky! You feel like you are in a third world country training for war in their training class. I thought I would get trained as a normal company would do then come back and use what I had learned. Nooo...you get tested every week even after you finish the training in Canada and you're under undue stress to perform like a Harvard Law class. I thought I was being hired because I had the experience to perform the job. All I needed was information about their products. The information is helpful, but the way they go about teaching you is stressful and very freshman college like. Only 1 out of 30 people that trainined with me and passed training still work there after 2 months. Their turnover is horrible. 1 out of 30 people survived their crap and that 1 person is probably no longer there. They also promise you a bonus after training, but look for reasons to fire you so they don't have to pay you that bonus. The training supervisor is soooo negative. They look for reasons to make you a bad sales person instead of finding the good in your work and helping you work better. They have the worse attitudes and are extremely disrespectful to each other and to you. DO NOT WORK THERE! There is alot of bullying and unrealistic expectations. You are expected to make 100 calls a day- talk about carpel tunnel. They don't have automatic dialers. You are literally dialing a telephone key pad. The trainers are looking for reasons to fire you at all times. They really don't have your best interest at heart. It was the worst job I've ever had. I was actually happy to get fired. I hated going there and dealing with their crap everyday. Anyone that has worked there in Inside Sales will say the same. I performed better than anyone and got fired. I was brining in lots of opportunities. The supervisor was so immature - instead of taking my success as a positive she would get with her little mean girl coalition and find reasons to sabotage me and eventually fired me. She would try to bully me in private conversations. If I asked for a day off she pestered me trying to find out what I was doing on my day off. I would not tell her so I knew eventually she would assert her power and fire me. I'm still believeing it was a dream or nightmare...but no it was real..and I'm so happy to be away from that place. Don't be fooled by the PR they get because of the employees that they have whipped into place and are forced to respond positively to the surveys. Best place to work awards in Canada...etc...is not a true reflection of this company. By the way, many of the positive reviews are not real. Any company with the high turnover that they have would not have this many positive reviews. They are slick and know exactly what to do to make themselves look great from the outside looking in. Don't beleive it!

Advice to Management

Revamp your way of hiring and learn to retain employees by treating them good. No one wants to come to work and feel like their job is on the line every day. Bullying isn't managing. Treat people with respect and they will be loyal to you. Change your culture because you will continue to lose with the way your company manages people. You've already gone from a public company to private because of the way the company has been run. It will continue to go down with the way you manage the company. I know....I've been an employee there. It's a horrible place to work. The people make the company. Treat the people with respect!

Oct 25, 2016 – Manager, Softchoice Sales Academy

Thanks for your response. Softchoice is 100% committed to promoting a diverse and accepting workplace - for every employee. I wanted to address two aspects of the training experience you described ... More

"Long, hard fall"

Current Employee - Pre-Sales Architect in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Pre-Sales Architect in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Softchoice full-time

Pros

Companies like Softchoice - traditional large account resellers with diversified offerings spanning many geographically dispersed markets, who have been evolving to meet changing market conditions - are great places to begin a career in technology, sales & marketing. The sheer breadth of products, solutions, and services you get exposed to at a company like CDW, SHI, Insight, Zones, Software One, Comparex, PCM, or Softchoice is an amazing way to start one's career in the industry.

Just like a company like CDW, SHI, Insight, Zones etc. there are good jobs at Softchoice. There are some amazing people, great managers, and good mentors. Great opportunities for networking with vendors & participating in one of the most dynamic industries out there.

While it can vary wildly by market, Softchoice's office facilities can have aesthetically pleasing common areas.

Cons

Unlike many of its competitors, Softchoice is not accessing new markets overseas. Unlike its competitors, Softchoice is not growing by strategic acquisition. Unlike its competitors, Softchoice is not expanding its vertical focus. Rather, Softchoice is declining. Sales are down, Softchoice is losing customers and has been for many years. Softchoice is "strategically" dis-investing in many markets, pulling out of specific verticals like Public Sector.

While the business has been crumbling, management has resorted to shell games with KPIs to artificially show growth and success. Since acquiring Softchoice, the private equity group Birch Hill has done their best to cut through the baloney that is Softchoice management KPI & reporting. It was this effort that highlighted the declining customer base and really drew attention to the extremely negative impact that has on the company's long-term outlook & financial health.

The biggest problem with Softchoice has gone unaddressed for years. The Sales organization is honestly the weakest aspect of the business. But its also the largest & everything revolves around it. Recently Sales Leadership was realigned to report directly to the CEO, but that has not helped.

What it did not do was address the high turnover in sales, it did not address the inability to attract talent, it did not address the inability to grown & retain talent, it did not bring a refined sales management process into focus. No, it kicked the can, ignored the real problems with the Sales organization - typical Softchoice fashion.

Fast forward to today, Softchoice is finally attempting (albeit unsuccessfully at the moment) to address some of the more fundamental issues with the Sales Org. In the meantime, Softchoice is failing - substantial declines in both top & bottom line financial results. Softchoice's competitors are outpacing it with investments to really drive transformation. PCM has become a managed services juggernaut, actually sitting at #2 on the MSPMentors 500 list Softchoice loves to brag about. Zones was named Microsoft' Volume Licensing Partner of the year at WPC, again. Softchoice is falling behind. Softchoice's competitors are more innovating, bring better more compelling offers to market. With smart investments, they are quickly outpacing Softchoice, while it still seeks to address fundamental issues with its Sales Org.

The culture at Softchoice is not good. Its juvenile, adolescent, overlooks real issues, rewards Sales performance and not Customer Success.

Advice to Management

There is no time to waste. The Sales Org needs to be reformed now. Whatever investment it takes, its worth it. Unless the company can turn its attention back to innovation, staying ahead of the curve, and driving Customer Success, Softchoice is doomed.

Aug 5, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. I wanted to respond to your comments personally. At Softchoice, we have chosen to invest in the markets where we can win. And while we have made acquisitions in the ... More

"Inside Sales Account Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Softchoice full-time

Pros

Good Health and Dental Benefits, Beautiful office location, and a very youthful work environment

Cons

Speaking on just the location of where I worked (Seattle), they had below average management and organizational structure issues. If you already have experience, this is not the place for you as they are looking for a blank canvas to sell within their "strategy". They do have some good managers and employees but it seems that the decision makers are rookies in the bigger scheme of tech sales. Career path is terrible in this company as your compensation is limited by their pay structure and their promotions are either vendor specialists, outside sales rep, or one of the 4-5 manager positions which are barely vertical moves up. If they want to have a sale focused company, they need to open up the commission structure or have multiple levels of positions to move up through but currently as it is, it's in a strange middle ground. The training is also poor here as they start well but don't know how to progress you up to your position. I was promoted to my position within 2 months mainly because a bunch of people quit around the same time.

Advice to Management

They need a better career path here. If they want to have such poor compensation packages, they should continue to expect high turnover and

"Not a good place to work."

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Softchoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beer Cart Fridays. Benefits start on day 1.

Cons

Management doesn't care about your development. There's absolutely no training for new employees. They expect you to sell every single thing on earth. Hours are terrible. They treat Inside Sales Reps like dogs.

"Softchoice Wins Award"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Softchoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Softchoice cares is a great program that possitively effects the lives of people around the world.

Cons

Each year a number of companies have a third party company survey their employees to determine how much they like working there. A few years ago, employees responses rated us as one of the top places to work. Early 2012, they conducted the survey again, however Softchoice is now rated in the lower 25% of places to work. One of the most negative responses were in relation to a basic distrust of and lack of confidence in senior leadership. One of the senior leadership team members flew around the company to conduct round table discussions with employees. One of the most hilarious moments was when an employee asked an honest question, having only been at Softchoice for a short while. This employee wanted to know if we just resell product that other companies make, what makes us different than other organizations that resell. This leader appeared to be caught offguard and responded, "uh, we like to think that we do things better." This is "leadership" at Softchoice :).

"Elitest attitudes in a sub-par working environment"

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Norcross, GA
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Norcross, GA

I worked at Softchoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is slightly above average for the same job eslewhere

Cons

Company cut salaries by 10% accross the board so there would be no lay-offs, then two weeks later, laid-off a huge amount of people

Advice to Management

Do what you say you are going to do, don't get peoples hopes up, then kick them to the curb

"Insight from Professional Services"

Current Employee - Professional Services in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Professional Services in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Softchoice is a company that is trying to grow
    We can bring our dog into the office. It is cool to meet other workers pets.

Cons

I am a billable PS resource. I need to respond to the outbound rep that said that the sales people do not have confidence in the services organization to deliver if they sell our internal services. A service engagement that is "less than successful" is often not the fault of the technical person. Our managers feel such pressure from the top to hit unreasonable ultization numbers, that they often send us on projects where the right thing to do would be to use a partner that has the exact skills necessary to hit a home run. There is a general lack of concern for our customers in senior leadership and in some of our services leadership. PS and Pre-sale technical resources have had enough of the current direction and many have already left. I will not be far behind.