Softchoice Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Softchoice President and CEO Vince De Palma
Vince De Palma

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You can bring your dog to work and there are a lot of fun events (in 24 reviews)

• Company offers benefits like free lunches, monthly beer cart/social gatherings, a work computer to use anytime, and more (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Softchoice strives for a work life balance (in 26 reviews)

• In short, the Senior Leadership Team is the problem (in 16 reviews)

1. "Disappointing"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Softchoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Office location in Queen Anne is great, near good restaurants and bars. Office is modern with ping pong table and a nice kitchen. Young work force.

Cons

I started in 2015 with such high hopes for this company and I truly wish I could have more positive things to say but to echo a lot of the same sentiments that other former and current employees mentioned, the Managers and the office in general is just a toxic place to be. After being able to be removed from the situation and having time to reflect, its just downright disgusting the way managers and fellow teammates treat their subordinates. Extreme lack of professionalism, borderline bullying, and beyond immature on so many levels. This is coming from people well into their late 30's and 40's who act like insecure college kids. The real problem is that about 60% of their mid level management in Seattle has been their since the mid to late 2000's and because of this, you have this either you're with us or against us mentality that leads to them thinking that they are 'holier than thou.' Additionally, I've never seen more instances of backstabbing and coworkers throwing their teammates under the bus to help elevate their image within the company. Part of me feels like the managers and higher ups know this, but actually enjoy the 'competitiveness' of it all. They really don't care about happiness of their employee's either, which is bizarre...why invest in someone and send them off to a training program and then watch them drop like flies and leave? Not to mention the pay is pretty substandard for living in Seattle.

Advice to Management

If you're reading this, then chances are you know who you are. A manipulative and insecure person that has little or no skill to offer and built their career around being able to fleece those around you. Case in point, many of you are frauds, especially in Seattle and is why many of you, are still a mid level managers at a lower-tier VAR. I feel pity for most of you not because of who you are, but because of the choices you've made and how you treat others. Its a reflection of your own self worth and with the constant drinking culture that runs rampant in the Seattle office, I actually pray that some of you find peace one day. This isn't a joke, Softchoice in Seattle is a toxic, toxic place. Look at all the other reviews and you'll know that I'm not the only one who feels this way. Some very fine and hard working people left and went on to better companies like Amazon, Dell, Microsoft, etc. so what does that tell you about leadership in the Seattle office? If you want to fix it, I highly suggest actually getting an HR Department with a back bone that will look into the complaints against some of the managers and co-workers.

"Customer Support Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Softchoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I think that Softchoice has some truly incredible talent. Having a dog-friendly office is great, most people are very welcoming. Working in Lower Queen Anne is ideal. The training program when I started was a month long program in Toronto (which has since changed a bit), in which I learned so much and I was able to clearly see the culture that Softchoice is striving towards. It was an awesome experience. And again, there are some wonderful, hugely talented people who work at this company.

If you have a good brand, growth is definitely possible. A lot of leadership worked their way up, which is very cool to see. You can learn a lot at Softchoice and when you have wins, they are celebrated.

Cons

The Seattle office just feels so toxic. Along with great people, there are some bad apples. It's truly feels like if you bring in a lot of money, you can get away with treating your teammates however you want - even if that (at any other company) would be a huge HR issue. The pay is not competitive, especially in the Seattle market. It doesn't feel like they care, even though they continuously lose great people to Amazon (and other companies, but mostly Amazon). And when people do chose to leave, often management doesn't handle it in an appropriate way - they either take it personally and/or give you the silent treatment - which is beyond weird. Also, professionalism in the office is very inconsistent, which honestly can be exhausting to be around. This office can drain you emotionally.

Advice to Management

I truly hope the Senior Leadership team in Seattle will talk to other people outside of sales management to get a true feel of why people are unhappy in the office. It's time to dig deep, investigate and find the root of the issues. Expect more from people - especially in how they treat others in the office. Fight for better pay, fight for better benefits and find ways to keep good people!! Softchoice in Seattle currently does not have a good brand.

"Review on the ISAM Position"

Former Employee - ISAM in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - ISAM in Seattle, WA

I worked at Softchoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot of people have mentioned this already, but Softchoice in Seattle is a dog friendly office. The Seattle office is in lower Queen Anne, which can be a pain if your commuting in. But it is a breeze to get to if you live in the city of Seattle. Lot's of great coffee shops are around the office to if you need a break.

Softchoice is great if this is your first job out of college, or would like to break into the IT sales/opps industry. With that said, some people may prefer the relaxed atmosphere in the Seattle office. Great if you are new to Seattle and fresh out of college. You can meet a lot of great people and make friends.

Softchoice does give you some important skills if you want to remain in IT or sales. Which if learned successfully you can take anywhere and be quite successful.

Cons

The training program. It is very focused on the TSRs and not useful for ISAMs and CSRs. If you have read the reviews you will see that there needs to be improvement on this process. Members from "the academy" the Training/On-boarding group need to recognize that "Phase II" is not enough for CSRs and ISAMs. At some point in the training teach you need to start teaching them Sales Force, Horizon, and admin tools to be successful. What you think is being taught, is not. Ask any ISAM or CSR in the Seattle office and they will share the same feedback. Teach CSRs and ISAMs more insight into the processes. They really should have an ISAM and CSR coach in an addition to the on-boarding coach. They need information relevant to their role. Just having them do quotes on the bench does not give a CSR the tools to be successful. Additionally, there needs to be on going sales skills on how to sell as an ISAM, how to break into accounts, and grow. They just expect you to do it, pull a heat map and ask where are you buying your security. It's very antiquated, and they should figure out a way to see how and what our customers are buying not just through a BI heat map. Lets get more intelligent, and be more proactive here.

Also managers need to learn how to calibrate plans and work loads more successfully. Minus a few managers and the leadership team in Seattle, there are a few managers that could improve upon their managing skills.

A lot of times people are set up for failure based on the managers lack of skill set on plan calibration, and seeing how much time their ISAMS/CSRS really spend on things. I.e. the back end -work- doing AR's jobs, credit, the outbounds etc, or the CSR doing all of the the work for some ISAMS.

There is not a direct vision from leadership on where they see this company going. They will create initiatives, such as customer first-but not deliver on the full vision. I.E. OM's sitting with their teams, now that position is fulfilled remotely in Canada HQ. Part of this ties into if the "bottom line" is more important than the people, which is what Softchoice did value. Not sure if this is temporary or a shift in the culture.

The Culture. It is very cliquey. If you do not fit in, it can be tough. They really honor the brand and image their employees have, which is like anywhere. But don't be surprised if you have a manager say "they're worried about your brand", rather than pipeline reviews are we can build up your pipeline. It comes up a lot. If you would like to move forward at Softchoice you need to really be on brand. Best advice. It can be a bit childish and broish and at times. Lot's of fun in the office which this fun can shift into not so fun times very quickly. But chalk this up to a start up feel. If you want a more button up place, Softchoice is not for you!

Lastly the pay. In Seattle, the pay is not on par with what other companies offer. Softchoice strives for a work life balance. Which is really up to the ISAM and CSR to see how much work they want to put in. But it does take a lot to Hit plan, and the benefits as an ISAM do not really pay off, unless you "blow out your plan"

Advice to Management

Really think about letting people work remotely for all facets of the business. Or increasing the bases, or give ISAMS a production model like that of their TSRs or OBs.

Do not wait to reach out to employees who are ready to jump ship. Reach out to employees who think would be good assets, and develop a real career pan with positions that might be open soon. Don't have us wait 10 years for a management position.

Softchoice Response

Sep 11, 2017 – Manager, Softchoice Sales Academy

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. I want to let you know that we take feedback like yours seriously and have made changes to our onboarding program, specific to the ISAM... More

"Customer Support Representative"

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Softchoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Month-long training program in Toronto gives a great starting point and good training for TSRs, bit unapplicable to other positions, but still cool they invest that much time/resources into hopefully sending prepared new employees into role

Cons

very disorganized, culture a bit out of control with managers causing most of the issue in office

Advice to Management

better pay, doesn't even remotely compare to same positions at other companies in seattle

"Mediocre"

I worked at Softchoice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They do a full classroom training in Toronto, which gives you a good background on the tech industry if you're new to it. The culture of the company is fun, but gets worse as you move up the ladder.

Cons

There is basically NO training for ISAMs. Working with the mentor is helpful, but your supervisor teaches you nothing related to your role, then completely bashes you for it. I also had an experience with my supervisor at this time where she made slightly sexist comments towards me that I found extremely demeaning and degrading.

Advice to Management

Maybe don't be demeaning and slightly sexist?

Softchoice Response

Jun 22, 2016 – SVP People and Growth

Thank you for your response. Softchoice is 100% committed to promoting a diverse and inclusive workplace - for each employee. We take comments like yours very seriously. Please contact me directly so... More

"TSR"

I have been working at Softchoice full-time

Pros

- Do a good job of hiring like minded people so you make lots of friends
    - Games to play during breaks, meals provided by vendors usually at least once a week, beer cart once a month and dogs

Cons

- You are sold you "run your own business" but really you have metrics that are CONSTANTLY changing. There are things and metrics you have to hit around different vendors and you literally do EVERYTHING in the sales process (including correcting the mistakes of support teams).
    - the pay is WELL below industry average and just average pay for amount of work you do in general
    - your OTE can be $50k year one as long as you're lucky enough to get a decent book/territory (if someone whose plan is $8k and yours is $25k you will make the same amount of money for literally having to sell triple the amount)
    - the levels they sell you don't hold true to plans. There are level ones who had higher plans than people who have been at Softchoice for several years.
    - Huge amount of turnover, on average one-two reps per month (which equals to roughly 5-10% of reps in the office per month)

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees during exit interviews and pay more or you'll continue to lose great reps.

"needs improvement"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the month long training in Toronto is fun but challenging
    dogs, ping pong and a good work-life balance

Cons

really high turnover. training period is very difficult. lots of cold calls. poor guidance

Advice to Management

please less cheerleader emails and speeches! the jobs tough and that stuff gets old really fast.

"Territory Sales Rep"

I have been working at Softchoice full-time

Pros

- Occasional fun events like beer cart
    - Dogs in the office
    - Month training in Toronto

Cons

- Pay well below average for a comparable position somewhere else
    - Unrealistic expectation of position given in interview process
    - High turnover with no focus to improving which makes it feel like upper management really sees people in this position as expendable
    - Unfair metrics and treatment between reps, teams, and offices
    - Upper management seems not to care about their people, just the bottom line
    - Micromanagement

I interviewed in 2015 and was given a completely inaccurate picture of what this position entails. I was told I would be given a handful of accounts to start with and would grow from there. After arriving in Toronto, my training class was blindsided with a new onboarding program that involved making a minimum of 100 cold calls a day with a strict $10k revenue sales target to hit in 3 months. If you do not hit this target, you will be let go without exception. the first month of training involved very little sales training and was much more focused on products, despite being repeatedly told "just use your resources for technical questions."

Long story short, the company sells the idea of their culture very hard, but dogs in the office is simply not worth the 5 figure pay decrease you would take coming here instead of somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Show more appreciation for the people that make things happen for you. The severe turnover in this division is a result of the terrible pay, promotions that really don't mean anything, and the overall feeling that we are not valued more than just a number.

"Territory Sales Representative"

Pros

Relaxed
    Interesting work and industry
    Great location and good people.

Cons

Cold Calling
    Unprofessional at times
    Quick Burnout on job

Advice to Management

Seems to be a disconnect between corporate expectations and local management knowledge as to what is expected.

"Ok place to get your foot in the door"

Former Employee - Outbound Sales
    Former Employee - Outbound Sales

I worked at Softchoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Not a ton of micro-managing
    Wide catalog of solutions
    Some smart engineers
    Good training program

Cons

Poor salary compared to competitors
    No room for growth
    Not enough engineers
    Tries to act like a major player but simply do not have the resources to compete
    Total disregard for Sales personnel
    After being bought out a venture capital firm way too many cuts detrimental to the business

Advice to Management

It's obvious that management is acting on behalf of the venture captial firm. They try to obfuscate that fact but everyone knows that their interests are placed above those of your employees. The ship is sinking for sure.