Softchoice Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated July 24, 2017

Softchoice President and CEO Vince De Palma
Vince De Palma

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • You can bring your dog to work and there are a lot of fun events (in 23 reviews)

• Company offers benefits like free lunches, monthly beer cart/social gatherings, a work computer to use anytime, and more (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be bad depending on your position (in 26 reviews)

• In short, the Senior Leadership Team is the problem (in 16 reviews)

1. "decent company"

I worked at Softchoice full-time

Pros

work balance could be better

Cons

pay overall could be better

"There's always pros and cons in sales"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Softchoice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The training was phenomenal and gratuitous. They fly you out to Toronto for 4 weeks, give you a daily allowance, pay for travel, put you up in the hotel connected to the Blue Jays stadium and go as far as to dish out the biweekly paycheck twice while you vacation and train in Canada.

There are always free catered lunches and frequent vendor engagements that occasionally include happy hours. The sales team are a welcoming, fun group to spend 40+ hours per week with. The office has ping pong, vending machines, basketball, corn hole etc. The company has an open pet policy for dogs and provides gym access, sales incentives, and a monthly beer cart tradition.

Cons

This is not for everyone. This is a difficult business and the learning curve is always expanding and growing in complexity.

Following the intense training in The Toronto office, there isn't much direction provided by management. You are basically thrown to the wolves and expected to fail until you get it right. The training manager is unorganized and is constantly sending, rescinding, resending calendar invites for meetings that might not even happen, yet my email rarely received any response. Most of the required training materials that we were supposed to be equipped with were not sent out by management until 10 weeks later. The sales resources ranged anywhere from Vendor/Distribution contacts, sales promos, reasons to call prospects, messaging strategies, marketing Slicks, role playing, objection handling, systems and much more.

Advice to Management

Use delegation as a last resort. Be the support for your sales reps. Positive reinforcement is more effective than negative. Try not to make the person asking you for help feel stupid for wanting to find the correct answer. If you Prepare your sales force for success and be assertive in improving each individuals weaknesses rather than expecting something from nothing, then you wouldn't have an 80% turnover on a $200K monthly investment in training sales reps that will be fired in the first 4 months.

"Some good, some bad"

Former Employee - Corporate Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Corporate Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Softchoice (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company culture and team building events. Company places strong emphasis on volunteer and philanthropic work in the community. A lot of networking opportunities with all the channel partners.

Cons

Very, very low base salary for senior level sales reps. Not very much coaching from District Sales Manager (in NYC office). The ability to work from home if need be every once in awhile was a big issue. Senior mgmt seemed out of touch with the big markets in the U.S. (most importantly NYC) because the company is based out of Toronto...very little marketing in the U.S. which never made sense to any of us in the NYC office.

Advice to Management

Increase the base salary of sales reps to something that isn't so outdated ($45k is very, very low). Benefits in the U.S. weren't that great as they were said to be during our onboarding training.

4. "Good company but micro managed."

Current Employee - TSR in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - TSR in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Onboarding training is extensive yet very good. Pay is decent for the role.

Cons

Micromanaged and not really supported directly when you return from Canada training

Advice to Management

Bridge gap of support between Canada and Atlanta

5. "Sales, sales, sales"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Softchoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere and mostly good people.

Cons

Everyone is disposable. Don't fail on your sales goals. But also don't overdo it or you'll be expected to do way more the next year. Often what money that was promised is much lower or takes way longer to get to than they tell you.

Advice to Management

Training is great but often gets in the way of important deadlines. Maybe set part of a day aside every month for training and stop all work?

"Great Culture Varies By Location"

Former Employee - Microsoft Solution Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Microsoft Solution Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Softchoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I truly think it depends where you work - if you're in Seattle or Toronto it's a wholly different experience than if you're in Chicago, for example. I worked in Chicago and it was good before they went private and quickly went downhill after. But they try really hard to keep culture strong and have beer on Fridays, casual-ish dress codes, foosball, cool office location, good benefits.

Cons

The sales team is always getting crushed by CDW and SHI who are much bigger, non-Canadian companies. Rotating sales managers in Chicago meant uncertainty and unhappiness as well as high rep turnover. Comp plans often came out 4-5 months into a given year. Most people seemed pretty unhappy in their role except for the very few who were in the inner, inner circle.

Advice to Management

You can't force culture. If everything sucks and people are unhappy you can't just get everyone in a room and offer them a Bud Light. Dig deeper. Also, please go public again ASAP.

"Account Executive"

Pros

Good work life balance for tech

Cons

No opportunities for remote employees to advance

"Business Development"

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Softchoice has a great culture and although it is a sales environment is not a competitive environment. The people that you work with are great and it is a very casual work environment.

Cons

The pay is too low. There are too many needless metrics. There are too many layers of management.

Advice to Management

Every piece of feedback that is given in exit interviews is that you do not pay enough money. Listen to this. The great culture can only go so far. People do not go to work because they want to, they go to work because they have to. We are not doing this for free.

"Mixed feelings about it, hard to leave."

I worked at Softchoice full-time

Pros

Everyone who worked there was beyond helpful. Anyone was willing to help out with any kind of questions. Everyone has a positive attitude.

Cons

Training and the real job are totally different. Maybe my view was skewed because it was my first job, but the two were night and day. The expectations for the first few months hinder the ability to do much else. Then you realize that they don't necessarily end after those few months. Straight cold-calling.

Advice to Management

Make sure new hires know what they are getting into. More cold-calling practice during training.

"Good for a few"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

Pros

Free food, beer cart Fridays
    Dogs in the office
    Lots of earning potential for iSams
    Good post graduation job

Cons

I have hesitated to post my story in an effort to avoid anyone from readers judging my post as just another complaint. However I believe my experience with Softchoice is one that needs to be made known in order to avoid such circumstances from repeating.
    I was in Inside Sales for about six months of training. Very early in my time there I was given the enormous responsibility of coverage for several reps while they were out of office, handling their inboxes, dealing with outbounds and keeping customers happy. It was a challenge but I did well and keep business as usual. And I continued to provide account coverage for other reps throughout my time there. As a rookie, anytime a mistake was made, I would go directly to that rep invovled or my superiors for input, advice and feedback so I could improve, which I did. Throughout my whole experience I enjoyed positive rapport with most in the office and throughout the company, especially customers.
    To my shock, I was let go suddenly, at the end of a work day unfortunately, by my onboarding coach. During the exit meeting it came to light that his decision was a personal one and NOT one of consensus from the people I worked with most often including my mentor. I was denied access to the restroom to compose myself, as well as to my belongings- they were shipped to me instead of me picking up my desk with dignity. It was so unprofessional that whoever is new at Softchoice deserves to know that reputation with your superiors is valued higher than your quality of work or rapport with others. I caution you to know that there is a lack of leadership, despite the fact that they claim to be "all about their peeps".

Advice to Management

I felt my termination could have been avoided if a plan of reconciliation was implemented under the supervision of HR, since communication seemed to be lost both ways during our weekly 1:1s. Also, do not allow managers to call termination unless input from coworkers, other reps and mentors are consulted in order to make an informed decision.