Softchoice Reviews | Glassdoor

Softchoice Reviews

Updated April 18, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • You can bring your dog to work and there are a lot of fun events (in 23 reviews)

• Company offers benefits like free lunches, monthly beer cart/social gatherings, a work computer to use anytime, and more (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be bad depending on your position (in 25 reviews)

• In short, the Senior Leadership Team is the problem (in 16 reviews)

1. "Great Place"

Current Employee - TSR in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Softchoice full-time

Pros

The company training is in Canada. Very extensive but the best training ever.

Cons

To many meetings and a lot of training. It can become quit overwhelming.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Oct 28, 2016 – Manager, Softchoice Sales Academy

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is very important and we are constantly looking for ways to make our training program even better! I'm glad to hear that you found it ... More

"Racist company discrimminate against age and race"

Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Customer Support Representative in Chicago, IL

Pros

The best thing was training in Toronto for a month, I had never been to Canada.

Cons

First of all this company hates on CDW so much its crazy! secondly This company only wants people age 20-30 years old. white men are preferred even better if you are a woman you have a good chance only if you are young and blonde if your name is Sarah, you are in.

Advice to Management

stop being racist and favoring young blonde women . get off of cdw stop copying them you will never ever beat CDW! You don't even understand that CDW does not even know you exist!

Nov 18, 2016 – SVP People and Growth

Thank you for sharing your comments, the nature of which are deeply concerning. Softchoice has always promoted a diverse and inclusive workplace. Every member of Softchoice commits to - and is ... More

"Some good, some bad"

Former Employee - Corporate Account Executive in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Corporate Account Executive in New York, NY

I worked at Softchoice (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company culture and team building events. Company places strong emphasis on volunteer and philanthropic work in the community. A lot of networking opportunities with all the channel partners.

Cons

Very, very low base salary for senior level sales reps. Not very much coaching from District Sales Manager (in NYC office). The ability to work from home if need be every once in awhile was a big issue. Senior mgmt seemed out of touch with the big markets in the U.S. (most importantly NYC) because the company is based out of Toronto...very little marketing in the U.S. which never made sense to any of us in the NYC office.

Advice to Management

Increase the base salary of sales reps to something that isn't so outdated ($45k is very, very low). Benefits in the U.S. weren't that great as they were said to be during our onboarding training.

5. "Good company but micro managed."

Current Employee - TSR in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Onboarding training is extensive yet very good. Pay is decent for the role.

Cons

Micromanaged and not really supported directly when you return from Canada training

Advice to Management

Bridge gap of support between Canada and Atlanta

"TSR-Inside Sales Account Executive"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Softchoice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They get you by showing their nice interior design, the bring your dog to work benefit, sending you to Canada for training and all the little perks that they tell you they have. What they don't tell you is below.

Cons

This company hires you and sends you to Canada for training for a month- they make grown people stay in a hotel room for a month with a total stranger. They get you to Canada and treat you like a child- the instructors tells you when you get to Canada that if you don't pass training you get fired. No one told you this before they sent you to Canada. They don't tell you that you have a roommate until the last minute when they send you your travel itenerary. How sneaky! You feel like you are in a third world country training for war in their training class. I thought I would get trained as a normal company would do then come back and use what I had learned. Nooo...you get tested every week even after you finish the training in Canada and you're under undue stress to perform like a Harvard Law class. I thought I was being hired because I had the experience to perform the job. All I needed was information about their products. The information is helpful, but the way they go about teaching you is stressful and very freshman college like. Only 1 out of 30 people that trainined with me and passed training still work there after 2 months. Their turnover is horrible. 1 out of 30 people survived their crap and that 1 person is probably no longer there. They also promise you a bonus after training, but look for reasons to fire you so they don't have to pay you that bonus. The training supervisor is soooo negative. They look for reasons to make you a bad sales person instead of finding the good in your work and helping you work better. They have the worse attitudes and are extremely disrespectful to each other and to you. DO NOT WORK THERE! There is alot of bullying and unrealistic expectations. You are expected to make 100 calls a day- talk about carpel tunnel. They don't have automatic dialers. You are literally dialing a telephone key pad. The trainers are looking for reasons to fire you at all times. They really don't have your best interest at heart. It was the worst job I've ever had. I was actually happy to get fired. I hated going there and dealing with their crap everyday. Anyone that has worked there in Inside Sales will say the same. I performed better than anyone and got fired. I was brining in lots of opportunities. The supervisor was so immature - instead of taking my success as a positive she would get with her little mean girl coalition and find reasons to sabotage me and eventually fired me. She would try to bully me in private conversations. If I asked for a day off she pestered me trying to find out what I was doing on my day off. I would not tell her so I knew eventually she would assert her power and fire me. I'm still believeing it was a dream or nightmare...but no it was real..and I'm so happy to be away from that place. Don't be fooled by the PR they get because of the employees that they have whipped into place and are forced to respond positively to the surveys. Best place to work awards in Canada...etc...is not a true reflection of this company. By the way, many of the positive reviews are not real. Any company with the high turnover that they have would not have this many positive reviews. They are slick and know exactly what to do to make themselves look great from the outside looking in. Don't beleive it!

Advice to Management

Revamp your way of hiring and learn to retain employees by treating them good. No one wants to come to work and feel like their job is on the line every day. Bullying isn't managing. Treat people with respect and they will be loyal to you. Change your culture because you will continue to lose with the way your company manages people. You've already gone from a public company to private because of the way the company has been run. It will continue to go down with the way you manage the company. I know....I've been an employee there. It's a horrible place to work. The people make the company. Treat the people with respect!

Oct 25, 2016 – Manager, Softchoice Sales Academy

Thanks for your response. Softchoice is 100% committed to promoting a diverse and accepting workplace - for every employee. I wanted to address two aspects of the training experience you described ... More

"Senior Account Executive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture, great people. Fun place to work with many benefits available. The company is growing very quickly and there is a lot of opportunity for growth.

Cons

I don't really have any cons as of now.

8. "Sales, sales, sales"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Softchoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere and mostly good people.

Cons

Everyone is disposable. Don't fail on your sales goals. But also don't overdo it or you'll be expected to do way more the next year. Often what money that was promised is much lower or takes way longer to get to than they tell you.

Advice to Management

Training is great but often gets in the way of important deadlines. Maybe set part of a day aside every month for training and stop all work?

"Outbound account executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Softchoice (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible culture, visionary leaders, top notch benefits and very competitive compensation

Cons

Don't do the sales kick off in Toronto every year.

Advice to Management

Continue to push the sales force to adapt to the rapid change in the IT industry. In other words, don't allow the reps that have been successful in the past continue doing things 'their way' for too long as it can hurt the other reps around them and slow change and innovation.

10. "Overall great company to work for..."

Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Account Executive in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Enterprise Account Executive in McLean, VA

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company takes care of it's employees and goes out of it's way to be involved in local communities from a charity perspective. The open door policy is a part of the company's philosophy and there are more than enough support resources available to employees to help them do their jobs regardless the function.

If you're on the sales side of the house lots of additional financial incentives afforded to employees outside of their normal base pay. All in all one of the best company's I've worked for in my career.

Cons

Too many meetings both live and virtual. The company over communicates which for more experienced employees can be seen as a waste of time. For millennials just getting their careers off the ground it makes more sense.

Internal systems and tools need better integration. Legacy systems don't always play well with newer systems and the newer systems need more work in aligning better with the work being done by the people who use those systems.

Too much Management by Dashboard.

Advice to Management

Develop better communications between operations, training and sales. Although there's a number of corporate messages communicated throughout the company, management isn't always on the same page with how it's interpreted.

Too much Management by Dashboard.

"Great Culture Varies By Location"

Former Employee - Microsoft Solution Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Microsoft Solution Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Softchoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I truly think it depends where you work - if you're in Seattle or Toronto it's a wholly different experience than if you're in Chicago, for example. I worked in Chicago and it was good before they went private and quickly went downhill after. But they try really hard to keep culture strong and have beer on Fridays, casual-ish dress codes, foosball, cool office location, good benefits.

Cons

The sales team is always getting crushed by CDW and SHI who are much bigger, non-Canadian companies. Rotating sales managers in Chicago meant uncertainty and unhappiness as well as high rep turnover. Comp plans often came out 4-5 months into a given year. Most people seemed pretty unhappy in their role except for the very few who were in the inner, inner circle.

Advice to Management

You can't force culture. If everything sucks and people are unhappy you can't just get everyone in a room and offer them a Bud Light. Dig deeper. Also, please go public again ASAP.