Softchoice Reviews | Glassdoor

Softchoice Reviews

Updated April 18, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • You can bring your dog to work and there are a lot of fun events (in 23 reviews)

• Company offers benefits like free lunches, monthly beer cart/social gatherings, a work computer to use anytime, and more (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be bad depending on your position (in 25 reviews)

• In short, the Senior Leadership Team is the problem (in 16 reviews)

"Inside Sales Account Manager"

I worked at Softchoice full-time

Pros

Good Health and Dental Benefits, Beautiful office location, and a very youthful work environment

Cons

Speaking on just the location of where I worked (Seattle), they had below average management and organizational structure issues. If you already have experience, this is not the place for you as they are looking for a blank canvas to sell within their "strategy". They do have some good managers and employees but it seems that the decision makers are rookies in the bigger scheme of tech sales. Career path is terrible in this company as your compensation is limited by their pay structure and their promotions are either vendor specialists, outside sales rep, or one of the 4-5 manager positions which are barely vertical moves up. If they want to have a sale focused company, they need to open up the commission structure or have multiple levels of positions to move up through but currently as it is, it's in a strange middle ground. The training is also poor here as they start well but don't know how to progress you up to your position. I was promoted to my position within 2 months mainly because a bunch of people quit around the same time.

Advice to Management

They need a better career path here. If they want to have such poor compensation packages, they should continue to expect high turnover and

"Softchoice May Be a Sinking Ship"

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's a Canadian company, so the benefits are good...

Cons

..but they're getting worse. They have a moratorium on raises, and don't give you your profit sharing if they don't meet their "numbers". Management switches tactics every few months, which results in layoffs that no one sees coming. It's just not a stable company anymore.

Advice to Management

Figure out a long-term plan and stick with it.

"Was a great place but things have changed."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

The people, the dogs, the free food and beverages from vendors.
    the office in Seattle is pretty nice with a great view of Puget Sound.

Cons

The compensation is horrible. Senior leadership made many unnecessary changes that took the fun, trusting environment where people felt enabled to do their jobs to what it is now. Fear based, no trust, childish micro management that manages their manager rather than their employees. When my manager was let go, most of the team either left or is trying to. The office is not the same and has not improved.

Advice to Management

Fear and lack of trust is not a management style, it's insecurity. Find a way to improve your employees environments and understand when you have good leaders that get it. The culture was so great and now it simply isn't.

"Great company gone wrong"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at Softchoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good place to start as an entry level job out of college. Good on boarding program which prepares sales reps to be successful.

Cons

Went private and with that went the culture. Used to be fun, work hard play hard type environment with supportive managers and great employees. Now management micro manages and goes through employee emails. There is no trust and over half my former team left within months of our manager getting fired. Compensation is way under market average and the way the business model is set up, the longer you work for this company the more money they will make off of you. You are required to grow your business 20% year over year to maintain your standard of living. There hasn't been a raise in over 5 years. A raise was promised and then taken away 13 days before it will supposed to hit the employees pay checks.

Advice to Management

Trust your employees. Listen to your employees and get rid of management who no one can trust. You have pushed away the best talent you had because of the culture shift. Pay people fair market wages.

Softchoice Response

Feb 25, 2015 – HR Business Partner

Thanks for your feedback. Like any organization experiencing growth, we recognize we still have work to do! As a sales organization, growing the business with our clients is an expected part of ... More

"Overworked, underpaid, not enough support"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

The laid back attitude is a welcome change of pace.

Cons

The best thing is also the worst thing about the company. The laid-back attitude trickles down from the management and in their approach. There are meetings several times a day, but during those meetings, the laid-back approach gives managers the right to berate employees rather than build them up, continually make comments that would never be accepted on any other sales floor, and provide training that is not really suited for a particular role, wasting my time as well as everyone else's/

Advice to Management

Pay a living wage, streamline the requests, and figure out what type of company you want to be. Offering every product under the sun doesn't allow the company to be focused in one particular area. Also make sure not to treat your inside reps poorly while deifying your outside reps.

7. "Great place to work, build a career and be a part of something bigger than just a job."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Culture centered on the value of the employee and developing/growing each person. Fun, helpful and encouraging. Superb ethics.

Cons

Growing pains of building a strong Services practice.

Advice to Management

Keep giving the open communication. Keep adding great new people to the team.

8. "Territory Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great place to start a relationship based sales career

Cons

Base pay is pretty low

Advice to Management

Less meetings

"I am approaching my 10 year mark with the company. It's been the best experience of my professional life."

Current Employee - Director Microsoft Solutions Group in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Director Microsoft Solutions Group in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

You are constantly challenged to improve and grow. I've had a great opportunity to travel across North America, in my various roles. I've worked with some of the best people in the industry. I've had the opportunity to hire and develop people. Watching their personal growth in their career has been one of the most rewarding aspects of my job.

Cons

The culture is very sales focused, and can be intense at times. Also, because the company has grown so rapidly over the years, the amount of change required has been signficant. Dealing with so much change can, at times, be exhausting. For some people, the pace can be too much. I love it.

Advice to Management

The company can be impatient at times for results, or waiting for new initiatives to produce results. The company could provide a longer ramp up time for new initiatives.

"Amazing Culture of people who want to work hard while having a balance of enjoyment."

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Young Culture
    Compensation for Sales
    Empowerment
    Flexibility & Benefits

Cons

3 years in and to say its perfect would not be true, but there is no such thing as perfect and Softchoice has got as close to it as I can ask for.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

11. "Good people, nice company"

Former Employee - Outbound Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Outbound Sales in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Softchoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Definately has a handle on the LAR microsoft licensing and that's a tough area to understand well. This helps provide value to the customers

Cons

a bit of a low compensation, however the benefits were outstanding. the micromanagement isn't the best but most of those managers are no longer there.

Advice to Management

Management needs to let the current sales reps keep the existing compensation the way that it is.