Softchoice Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

Softchoice Reviews

Updated February 23, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • You can bring your dog to work, free food at least once a week, fun break room, young office (in 22 reviews)

• Company offers benefits like free lunches, monthly beer cart/social gatherings, a work computer to use anytime, and more (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be bad depending on your position (in 25 reviews)

• Senior leadership made many unnecessary changes that took the fun, trusting environment where people felt enabled to do their jobs to what it is now (in 16 reviews)

"Territory Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- good mix of classroom, hand-on and on the job training.
    - While the training is challenging it’s definitely rewarding for those who are willing to go the extra mile and meet expectations.
    - The program is definitely structured in a way that prepares you to hit the ground running once in role.
    - Sense of accomplishment upon completion of program
    - Feel prepared and eager once training is complete
    - You can bring your dog to work, free food at least once a week, fun break room, young office

Cons

- 80 to 100 cold calls a day, cold calling is a necessary evil but gets significantly easier once you're out of role and have a book of business
    - Metrics can be a little much at times during training

"Good for a few"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

Pros

Free food, beer cart Fridays
    Dogs in the office
    Lots of earning potential for iSams
    Good post graduation job

Cons

I have hesitated to post my story in an effort to avoid anyone from readers judging my post as just another complaint. However I believe my experience with Softchoice is one that needs to be made known in order to avoid such circumstances from repeating.
    I was in Inside Sales for about six months of training. Very early in my time there I was given the enormous responsibility of coverage for several reps while they were out of office, handling their inboxes, dealing with outbounds and keeping customers happy. It was a challenge but I did well and keep business as usual. And I continued to provide account coverage for other reps throughout my time there. As a rookie, anytime a mistake was made, I would go directly to that rep invovled or my superiors for input, advice and feedback so I could improve, which I did. Throughout my whole experience I enjoyed positive rapport with most in the office and throughout the company, especially customers.
    To my shock, I was let go suddenly, at the end of a work day unfortunately, by my onboarding coach. During the exit meeting it came to light that his decision was a personal one and NOT one of consensus from the people I worked with most often including my mentor. I was denied access to the restroom to compose myself, as well as to my belongings- they were shipped to me instead of me picking up my desk with dignity. It was so unprofessional that whoever is new at Softchoice deserves to know that reputation with your superiors is valued higher than your quality of work or rapport with others. I caution you to know that there is a lack of leadership, despite the fact that they claim to be "all about their peeps".

Advice to Management

I felt my termination could have been avoided if a plan of reconciliation was implemented under the supervision of HR, since communication seemed to be lost both ways during our weekly 1:1s. Also, do not allow managers to call termination unless input from coworkers, other reps and mentors are consulted in order to make an informed decision.

3. "IT Consultant and Account Executive"

Current Employee - Corporate Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Corporate Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have always wanted to gain knowledge and experiences in the IT industry. Because of their philosophy of taking care of each other, Softchoice flew me to their headquarters in Toronto, and I was able to gain the knowledge needed to work in the IT industry. Being new to the company and industry, my colleagues at the company made me feel at ease and welcome. Softchoice provided me the opportunity to expand my skills in IT, sales, and communication. From cyber security, virtualization, cloud computing, and networking, Softchoice has great resources and tools for individuals to utilize. As the new training program continues to grow, many new folks will see the benefit of working for a company that focuses on your growth, progression, and professional development.

Cons

As the training program has altered, be prepared to be challenged. Some of the expectations seem a bit high, but they will help you get into role. Depending on the role, this will help you challenge yourself and get where you are needed.

"Testimonial"

Current Employee - Corporate Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Corporate Account Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

The people are amazing and a wonderful work environment. Dog-friendly office, paid benefits, company events, and fantastic training. It really is a fantastic environment here. Softchoice is a leader in the Technology industry and one of the top software and hardware resellers in the world. Managers are open to feedback and willing to answer any questions or concerns you have. A competitive salary, growth opportunities, innovative mindset, and solution led selling. The company has a positive reputation. The culture is great and the work is challenging. You will always be very busy which is wonderful. I’m getting valuable skills working with top caliber talent and engaging in high level conversations. I will recommend a career at Softchoice to individuals that have high standards and would like to work with elite talent both internally and with channel partners. Amazing Company.

Cons

The Toronto Office has Dogs and Chicago is waiting for approval.

"Gotta Love It!"

I have been working at Softchoice full-time

Pros

I have been working for Softchoice for 5 months now, and it keeping getting better!

I was offered the opportunity to work for Softchoice in Mid-March. This meant moving from a small town in Michigan, living in a hotel for 4 weeks for training in Toronto and then moving to Chicago. Big decision, right?

Softchoice did an exceptional job of making the decision as simple as possible. For one, the benefits whether health or financial are great. But a huge reason was the culture. At Softchoice, the culture is something that other organizations should emulate. I’ve never been in a work environment where people generally care for one another. Where you aren’t nervous to ask a question in fear of looking ridiculous. Whether you’re the lowest on the totem pole or the manager at the office, everyone treats you with respect. Not to mention the fun events that we’re privileged to attend.

I strongly suggest giving Softchoice a chance if you are looking for a career that lets you grow in an ever expanding industry. Spread the Orange!

Cons

Stairing at a computer all day

"Great culture"

Current Employee - Corporate Account Executive
    Current Employee - Corporate Account Executive

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, great people, great medical benefits as a FTE. Unique and competitive offerings supported by good technical resources. High earnings potential.

Cons

Very little selling and new business finding resources are provided. The seller is relied upon to market and sell the company within the market. This may not be seen as a "con" to some sellers.

"I recommend my job to my friends!"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The People -- I've met some of my BEST friends here. The training -- I had no background in technology or prospecting sales and I was trained quickly and supported throughout the onboarding process. There are a lot of brilliant people to lean on who are the tech experts. Career Growth -- They hire mostly from within so there are a lot of opportunities (management, sales promotions, or technical). Super fun working environment -- I laugh a lot at work! Plus, there are a lot of events that raise money for great causes and are fun to attend. Compensation -- If you exceed sales quotas, there is a lot of money, trips, etc. up for grabs. I have been very happy with my salary and have a family to support.

Cons

It's a highly metriced work environment, which was new for me. I adapted well since I like leaderboards and recognition but I understand that is not for everybody.

"Fantastic Opportunity in TSD"

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Softchoice has exceptional team members and offerings. Softchoice is poised for future success.

Cons

Softchoice has a hard time keeping team members. The revolving door brings opportunity for growth, but also causes customer and team fatigue.

Advice to Management

focus on growing the team and giving a pathway for all team members to succeed

10. "TSD"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

Pros

great learning atmosphere, always learning tech and sales

Cons

hard work. But, hard work is good

"TSR"

I have been working at Softchoice full-time

Pros

Investment in people
    Great culture
    Structured training
    Continuous coaching

Cons

Almost purely cold calls.
    Not enough sales training
    Focused on 100 cold calls a day, which can be a little counterproductive. If metrics are not met, management gets onto you quite a bit. They focus too much on the metrics and not enough on quality cold calls.

Advice to Management

Focus less on the quantity and more on quality. Put more focus into sales training.