Softchoice Territory Sales Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Softchoice President and CEO Vince De Palma
Vince De Palma
1 Rating

Pros
  • You can bring your dog to work and there are a lot of fun events (in 23 reviews)

• Company offers benefits like free lunches, monthly beer cart/social gatherings, a work computer to use anytime, and more (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be bad depending on your position (in 25 reviews)

• In short, the Senior Leadership Team is the problem (in 16 reviews)

1. "Solid Place to Start Your Career"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Softchoice is a great place to start your career. Training is done very well and they pay for you to live in Canada for a month. Once you're back in your sales center first 4 months are rough making 100 dials a day with not much response but you've just got to get through it. Best asset of Softchoice is there people. Most people that work here are solid, easy to get along with individuals who work hard and play hard. Seattle office especially is awesome. If you work hard there is ability to have tremendous success in this role

Cons

Job can get tiresome at times with so much competition in this space. You are constantly asked to lower prices by customers in order to get sales and you can get dropped off very fast with nothing softchoice does being proprietary. There is so much turnover its insane. Since ive been working here for about 2 years theres been 4 C-Level changes which is unheard of and tells me something is not right at the top. Also company is extremely Canadian focused with US offices getting shunned from recognition a lot of the time.

Advice to Management

Please don't change what has made you successful as a company and make changes to the culture here. I'm already starting to see it happening and you will lose good employees this way.

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the open culture that Softchoice encourages every employee to portray. It creates a positive and empowered working atmosphere. I love the young professionals that work here as well as everyone is relatively friendly and approachable.

The frequent catered food is another huge plus. The amount of resources and support that is available is undeniably outstanding compared to companies I have worked for in the past. The office is also very bright and orange making it a vibrant office to be in.

The Chicago location is conveniently located off of the Chicago Brown Line stop and is located in the upscale River North neighborhood.

Working as a Business Development rep can have its challenges, but also comes with the opportunity to win big with the many spiffs and deal registrations available.

The office seems like a family since it is still a fairly medium sized office.

The training received was exceptional and very hands on.

Cons

While in sales academy the few cons that I encountered were the lack of system implementations. Going to repetitive vendor trainings was very vexatious especially since it took out a lot of our precious time from our schedule to be on the phones (which goes towards hitting the KPI's expected from us).

There are a few improvements that could be made to the Sales Academy training program, but overall a very solid training program.

Another con is the sometimes inaccurate orangle hustle kpi indicator; unfortunately it doesnt count placing orders into activity points which is a bummer because it could take up to an hour to get some orders straightened out in the Horizon system.

Advice to Management

Keep up the continued growth! The increased investment in employees is much appreciated and Im positive it will pay off in the long run for the success of the company.

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Norcross, GA
    Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Norcross, GA

Pros

There is a great culture associated with this organization that is very hard to find in the sales realm. Everyone is very willing to help and the Managers always make themselves available. Also, the training you get before being on-boarded while difficult sets you up with a good knowledge base and you get to spend a month in Toronto. There is also a tremendous amount of growth opportunity within the company.

Cons

When exiting the "academy" you are assigned a book of business and an associated plan based off the amount of business the accounts did the year before. This isn't anything new but some people really luck into a great book while others have do a lot of re-building in some cases. Also, commissions aren't based of a direct amount of GP brought in but instead based off the percentage of "plan" you are at which can make someone with a bad and/or tough book of business get paid a lot less than someone who walks into a better situation or a more favorable plan.

Advice to Management

Promotions based off plan but payout based off a percentage of GP brought in as opposed of percentage of Plan.

"Great Training!"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

Pros

I am pretty new to the company and went through their new training program that lasts 16 weeks. The first 4 are spent in Toronto in a classroom setting and the last 12 are in the office you get placed in working towards being in role. I do not have a technical background at all and felt very confident going into role with the training I was given.

Cons

I would say the only con is that there is a lot of information to take in. You have to be able to manage your time and want to learn.

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Softchoice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, great company culture and the people. They hire certain personality types, so you will develop great relationships with your co workers.

Cons

They were very misleading in the interview process. Told me I would be given a few existing accounts to manage while primarily head hunting for new accounts....that was false. All you do is head hunt making 80-100 cold calls per day. The management in the ATL office was nonexistent. The training only covers IT, which is useful but it would be more useful to be trained for the actual job itself. Metrics are unrealistic. They also blind-sided me and my training class with a strict revenue target of $10,000....If you don't meet this after 11 weeks on the job they will fire you and since they don't really set you up for success I would stay away. There are better IT sales/cold calling jobs out there.

Advice to Management

Don't be misleading during the interview process....could have saved time and money on both ends. If you are going to invest 10k in hiring new employees, give them more time to learn a complex industry

"Gotta Love It!"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Softchoice full-time

Pros

I have been working for Softchoice for 5 months now, and it keeping getting better!

I was offered the opportunity to work for Softchoice in Mid-March. This meant moving from a small town in Michigan, living in a hotel for 4 weeks for training in Toronto and then moving to Chicago. Big decision, right?

Softchoice did an exceptional job of making the decision as simple as possible. For one, the benefits whether health or financial are great. But a huge reason was the culture. At Softchoice, the culture is something that other organizations should emulate. I’ve never been in a work environment where people generally care for one another. Where you aren’t nervous to ask a question in fear of looking ridiculous. Whether you’re the lowest on the totem pole or the manager at the office, everyone treats you with respect. Not to mention the fun events that we’re privileged to attend.

I strongly suggest giving Softchoice a chance if you are looking for a career that lets you grow in an ever expanding industry. Spread the Orange!

Cons

Stairing at a computer all day

"I recommend my job to my friends!"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The People -- I've met some of my BEST friends here. The training -- I had no background in technology or prospecting sales and I was trained quickly and supported throughout the onboarding process. There are a lot of brilliant people to lean on who are the tech experts. Career Growth -- They hire mostly from within so there are a lot of opportunities (management, sales promotions, or technical). Super fun working environment -- I laugh a lot at work! Plus, there are a lot of events that raise money for great causes and are fun to attend. Compensation -- If you exceed sales quotas, there is a lot of money, trips, etc. up for grabs. I have been very happy with my salary and have a family to support.

Cons

It's a highly metriced work environment, which was new for me. I adapted well since I like leaderboards and recognition but I understand that is not for everybody.

9. "TSD"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

Pros

great learning atmosphere, always learning tech and sales

Cons

hard work. But, hard work is good

Advice to Management

10. "Territory Sales Representative"

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great place to start a relationship based sales career

Cons

Base pay is pretty low

Advice to Management

Less meetings

11. "I've had a lot of ups and downs at Softchoice but the good definitely outweighs the bad."

Current Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Softchoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I first started, it was the people that made me not quit immediately because it is so much information to absorb at once. After a few weeks, you get a handle on the information and start feeling confident in your abilities to do the job as an inside sales rep. After that, you interview to get a territory and the accounts are good accounts and make the transition to their rep less stressful and give you base business. The Softchoice community is incredibly supportive of your work and helping you get better at your job and keeps it fun, which can be very difficult balance to find in a telesales position. Softchoice just rolled out a promotion path where you can move from TSD/telesales to be promoted to enterprise accounts or if you find yourself interested in the more technical side of things, you are able to move from Sales into support roles. The company itself is continually evolving to make its offering more attractive to customers and easier for reps to sell that offering.

Cons

IT is hard to learn and can be stressful and the training at Softchoice is good but requires employees being proactive in asking for help on things they don’t understand. The company is continually changing which I view as a good thing but it can be unsettling to see roles changes from quarter to quarter. Also, while many people are promoted from TSD to other departments, it can be a longer process than is desirable.

Advice to Management

Change is good for a company but perhaps make people aware of it before so as to not seem out of the blue.