Software AG Reviews in Reston, VA | Glassdoor

Software AG Chairman of the Board Management Karl-Heinz Streibich
Karl-Heinz Streibich

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • If you are in the consulting forget about work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

• The regular team outings are now a little old school (in 9 reviews)

1. "Another work anniversary with Software AG and loving it..."

I have been working at Software AG full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Software AG (SAG) hired me 30 years ago; and during that time SAG has allowed me to grow over the years. I have had the opportunities to advance my career by moving into different roles/jobs.
    Software AG offers great benefits and has a good work/life balance. The work atmosphere is terrific; the company cares about its employees and communicates well with us.

Cons

Not sure if this, is a CON or a PRO: but SAG over the past dozen years has grown. It makes it more difficult to know everyone in the company. Not quite the same family atmosphere. On the other hand; this allows SAG to be more relevant in the industry.

Advice to Management

Current SAG management is the best in many years. Communication with employees is key.

2. "PLEASE GET ME OUT"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Reston, VA

I have been working at Software AG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has great benefits. The Company as a whole has great products...

Cons

I will be getting out soon, but before I go, I want to make sure individuals coming in understand what's going on...see below

The Business Development team is crazy, Certain individuals don't even have their degree, and act like a chicken with their head cut off... Certain individuals are very tyrannical in the office(you can figure out who those individuals are), do not question certain individuals authority.

DO NOT join this team...as stated before 1984...read the book

Advice to Management

Please do not watch over us all the time, let us work

3. "Onboarding Process"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Software AG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent onboarding process. Professional and friendly HR staff. Throughout the process, provided useful information and answered all of my questions making it a very easy transition to a new job.

Cons

No Cons in the onboarding process.

4. "Working at Software AG for over 10 years"

I have been working at Software AG full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent place to work. Nice people and environment. Good exposure to latest technologies and wide range of product suites. Flexible schedule and the team respects the good work. Very friendly HR too.

Cons

Nothing major at all . Maybe the free monthly breakfast can have better options :-)

5. "Software AG"

Former Employee - Finance Director in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Finance Director in Reston, VA

I worked at Software AG full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work/Life balance - 40 hours per week

Cons

German company with a matrix organization. No spirit & soul to the company. All about efficiency (controlling costs).

Advice to Management

Empower local managers.

6. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - RVP in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - RVP in Reston, VA

I worked at Software AG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nice environment, strong sales culture, no cap on commissions, no games on payouts, great product, lots of marketing and R&D investment.

Cons

High pressure to hit targets can drive bad behaviour for long term customer relationships.

Advice to Management

Keep focussing on the long term relationship with customers, not just a single transaction.

"New Employee"

I have been working at Software AG full-time

Pros

I have recently joined Software AG in Reston. The employee training and on-boarding process was excellent. The work environment is very professional and positive, good morale.

Cons

Nothing negative to report at this time.

Advice to Management

It is very evident that employees are valued and the culture is very important to Software AG.

"Software AG"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Software AG full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

2 of the best reasons for working here are the benefits and corporate bonus program. Regardless of how the company performs, you can still earn a bonus based on personal objectives.

Cons

Internally the company is very slow to move to new technologies.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach to potential customers and current customers.

"Sales -"

Former Employee - Sales in Reston, VA
    Former Employee - Sales in Reston, VA

I worked at Software AG full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Legacy software provider - there are customers that use parts of the technology stack for the last 5-30 years, however, most of them are unhappy or unaware of the footprint that exists as it's OEM thru another relationship or plumbing.

Cons

Zero brand awareness - competing with IBM, Oracle, Mulesoft that dominate the market. Operates as a legacy provider by rebranding with new shiny marketing around 'platform' and selling a whiteboard session with customers. 10+ technologies that do not sing together and if you ask for the 'quick story', people look at you funny. Revenue goals are surpassed only by large deals paid/booked upfront as total contract value that are financed over 3-5 years. Sales talent internally is C-. No equity. The customers are unhappy and pay a lot of money to continue to use legacy plumbing technology that they cannot rip/replace. High turnover with sales teams. Overall, the company is cheap - new hire training felt like a high school project and the first night included dinner with executives (no actual dinner) - there are very few people that make consistent high W2's at this company.

Advice to Management

Lead your teams - engage at the rep level for consistent enablement/engagement. Promote a healthy culture - the America's new leader walked thru new hire training and made fun of the sales reps that had backpacks vs. messenger bags, the type of shoes/clothes they wore. New hire training should be collaborative and engaging - the 2 sales enablement leaders were weak and spent more of the time talking down to the new hires rather than enabling and educating. If you've hired A or B players, they need information and can execute, however, this training was to teach you how to sell and best for newbies to sales. Empower your employees to go hunt, kill, and grow - focus on how to get new business, not just re-wrap or re-contract current install business. Pricing is completely wacky.

"Stable and relatively low pressure"

I have been working at Software AG full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I you are looking for a friendly and non-threatening work environment with a stable, 40-year-old IT company (not many around anymore), Software AG is your kind of place. Software AG has allowed me to try on different hats (or "tours of duty" as they are sometimes called) during my tenure, and that has been a rewarding experience. You can do a whole lot worse than working for Software AG, and that's perhaps why many employees stay around for decades.

Cons

If you are looking for an exciting, fast-paced, team-driven, cutting-edge workplace with lots of pressure and long hours, you might want to look elsewhere. Also, if you are looking for a company that invests tons of money in technical innovation and marketing, you will **definitely** want to look elsewhere. One of Software AG's core competencies is cost control (how does an IT company stay around 40 years?) leading to long-term profitability.

Advice to Management

I would not presume to advise management