Software Advice Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Austin Merritt

1. "Excellent Inside Sales Role"

Former Employee - Software Advisor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Advisor in Austin, TX

I worked at Software Advice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are fantastic and management is great. In particular, management is really in tune with advisors who work hard and aim to succeed. A variety of free snacks in the break room and the occasional fun company party and book club meetings are major pluses as well.
    The advisor role is a very strong choice if you're looking for an inside sales position where you can grow and gain business savvy.

Cons

The division between the different departments make it difficult to communicate effectively. Many of the issues I had during my time there were fixed by the time I left; so keep up the good work!

2. "Great first or second job"

Former Employee - Software Advisor & Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Advisor & Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Software Advice (More than a year)

Pros

Work hard play hard culture with solid perks, good employees, and good managers.

Cons

It is an extremely flat organization with little room to advance. You must be okay with a very one-dimensional role in order to succeed as an advisor there.

"Inside Sales"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Advisor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Advisor in Austin, TX

I worked at Software Advice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Straightforward goals. You know what to expect everyday coming into work. South Congress is a cool location. The pay is pretty good.

Cons

Repetitive to a fault. Not a challenging work environment and management is OKAY with this, as if they do not want to see all their employees succeed. Very little career advancement within the sales role besides the opportunity to make more money. The skills developed here are not as valuable as entry-level sales positions at similar companies because everything is warm.

This place is high school in terms of how the work environment is managed for its employees, both in how the employees interact with one another, as well as how management is entirely top-down. And despite the decent pay, management has been continuously finding ways to decrease commision opportunities for their salespeople and a number of people I have spoken to have felt they were deceived from what they were initially told they would be making.

Advice to Management

The best salespeople do not make the best managers. There is no one in management that did not start as an inside sales advisor and they have all been with the company for at least 2-3 years. Also, many people hired are new to sales. The lack of experience creates a very insulated environment to work in.
    Take the advice your employees give you, instead of just saying you will listen and not following through because the opportunities you are offering your employees will cause you to lose your best talent.

4. "Flexible, casual work environment"

I have been working at Software Advice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1 month a year to work abroad (many use to work from home)
    No dress code
    Healthy snacks for free in the kitchen
    Good benefits
    Flexibility for things like doctors appointments during working hours
    Highly intelligent and thoughtful GM
    Never work weekends or holidays, rarely work after hours
    Product is good
    Internal software system is good
    Company uses Macs
    Managers generally pretty loyal to their team, willing to stand up for them in cases of conflict - particularly tenured people, although that doesn't require much time here.
    Not micromanaged
    Good amount of vacation time, especially after you've been here a couple years

Cons

Focus on quantity and revenue goals sometimes creates questionable quality
    Leadership is young and lacks experience/mentorship
    Some departments aren't well supervised and exploit it to the detriment of others and the customers/clients/software buyers
    Downtown location and 8-6 working hours means many commute through horrible traffic without another option.
    Still finding their place in the new parent company, so there's not immediate opportunities for advancement
    Internally-developed system means updates are sometimes behind the curve
    Not enough IT/development resources
    High-ish turnover in certain roles
    Bad coffee

Advice to Management

Set high standards and hold EVERYONE to them.

5. "Great Company for Hungry, Driven People."

Current Employee - Software Advisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Software Advice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can make really good money within 12-24 months if you work hard. 70k-80k is easy for a Software Advisor if you come in and crush it everyday. If you aren't afraid of making 90-100 phone calls a day to warm leads, the money is there for the taking. They've introduced several programs recently to drive more revenue for the advisors, which is awesome.

Cons

The office has become somewhat of a social scene. Too much emphasis on being 'friends' with your co-workers. Lots of 'cliques' within the office, and too many people focused on what they did last night/over the weekend, rather than focusing on how we can make more money. I'm not an anti-social person, but I come to work to work, not to gab. If you love socializing, you'll be right at home, but you won't make as much money as other advisors.

Advice to Management

Less focus on happy hours, events, and socializing. More focus on work and creating best practices to drive more revenue.

6. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Software Advice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people you get to work with, you'll end up making tons of friends. The pay is very good for the amount of work required. You dont take one single minute of work home with you. If you work hard, you'll be making great money. No cold calling. Managers and executives care about your experience. Also, over 20 days PTO to start and very good benefits.

Cons

It can get a bit monotonous. Once you're there for a while, you end up doing the same thing day in and day out without much variety.

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on because you've got a good thing going here. I don't really have any suggestions that come to mind, which is probably a good thing.

"Great Place to Start!"

I have been working at Software Advice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SA really is a family. You become very close with your teammates and you work hard to make sure everyone always has what they need. The company is big enough to where job security is not an issue, but still small enough that every once in awhile you can make a real impact.

Cons

The growth potential is a con right now, but being a part of the ever expanding Gartner could show promise in the future. Wherever you're hired in at, be prepared to stay in that position for a few years.

Advice to Management

Spend some time to create a growth path for your employees and retention will likely be 100%.

8. "Excellent place to learn sales skills"

Former Employee - Senior Software Advisor in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Advisor in Austin, TX

I worked at Software Advice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back tech environment but hard working
    Great people, very young. All in the 23-30 ballpark in the sales positions.
    Management team really care about your success.

Cons

Can be tedious to sit in front of a computer for 10 hours a day

Advice to Management

Thank you for giving me skills I still use today

"Software Advice Is a good starting point but has zero career progression."

Former Employee - Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Software Advice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay for what you do is pretty nice. The leads are warm so all you really need to make $60K+ is be able to have a coherent conversation with active software buyers.

Cons

The owners do not care about you as a person. I was there for over 2 years and generated almost $1M for the company. Neither of the founders said a single word to me when I left. It was a very disappointing ending to my stint.

Advice to Management

At least act like you care about your employees. The team leaders do care and have good advice. I would advise the founders not to feel so entitled to everything just because you went to Princeton.

"Great way to start in tech marketing...but that's it"

Current Employee - Software Advisor in Austin, TX

I have been working at Software Advice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company takes great care of us. All team managers have been in our shoes. The benefits are great and the peers are great.

Cons

There is no career path established for entry level sales employees. They ask for a two year commitment, because they know this. Rapid growth has caused the company to lose sight of it's culture and appreciation for their tenured employees. I don't regret this job, because I've enriched my skills in the industry. However, it comes with an inevitable mental expiration date

Advice to Management

Create a way for employees in entry level sales to excel and grow within the company. With a name like Gartner on your side, you'd think there would be a way to grow