Software Guidance & Assistance Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Account Manager"

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at Software Guidance & Assistance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome company. Lots of great employees that are focused and driven to succeed. Stay focused and you will succeed as well. They treat their employees well and provide lots of opportunities to advance.

Cons

Employee turnover from time to time, but natural for staffing industry. Hours can be long because staffing industry has timely candidates to submit before competitors. If you manage your time wisely, you can easily balance your life.

Advice to Management

I was very happy with management, so I have no complaints or advice. I think the company continues to grow and look after their employees who make an effort to perform for the company.

"Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Tarrytown, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Tarrytown, NY

I have been working at Software Guidance & Assistance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Alright pay for starting out but very tedious data work that I don't see many doing for years

Nov 2, 2018 – Employment manager

SGA is committed to investing in employee career growth. There is great opportunity here to move into a role that best suits the employees skill set. If you are just starting your career, it is great... More

3. "Senior IT Recruiter"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Software Guidance & Assistance full-time

Pros

Great place to learn. Team leads are helpful and understand the pain points of closing business in the modern staffing industry. Generally speaking, most internal employees are knowledgeable and helpful, in particular team leads and administrative staff. If you have a question, someone will get it answered for you. Definitely a good start to a recruiting career. Most people play nice when it comes to candidate ownership. Team building events (although not enough of them) are always great and well planned.

Cons

Too much of a power struggle between recruitment and sales. Too much involvement from the company owners who do not understand the progression of the IT staffing industry. Not enough growth potential. No formal training program anymore for the incoming recruiters. Training is absolutely necessary for new employees, especially to the incoming IT recruiters. The team leads should not be burdened with the training of new hires in addition to their work overload of managing a team of recruiters, providing an excessive amount of reports based on non-comprehensive and outdated metrics, not to mention managing their own desks and being called into countless meetings, providing guidance and feedback on incoming policy change only for their opinions to be heard but not implemented. Draw against commission is too high against the base salary. Too much red tape.

Advice to Management

Learn to understand that recruiters are just as important as sales. Sales should think of recruiters as trusted business advisers who are able to provide market intelligence. Production should not solely be based on what reports or metrics show. Hard work is not quantifiable and should not be reduced any sort of number. When you make employees feel like every day might be their last, they cannot work effectively on their own or across teams. Listen to your staff and focus on fostering a communal goal of closing business. Don't open unqualified job orders for the sake of fulfilling a metric or owning a client. This is wasted effort. Leverage the relationships that you have to get detailed feedback. Give further incentive for people to help each other be successful. Stop letting process and numbers get in the way of closing deals. Bring back the recruiter training program. Do not penalize people for working from home.

4. "Sr BDM NJ"

Former Employee - Vice President Engineering in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Vice President Engineering in Princeton, NJ

I worked at Software Guidance & Assistance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You have Saturday and Sunday off for the most part

Cons

Your working in a chop shop, revolving door

Advice to Management

Hire a consulting service to run the show,

"If You Thrive in a Micromanaged Environment, SGA Might Be a Good Fit"

I worked at Software Guidance & Assistance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Was there for a few years. Managers were generally good people, listened to issues, tried to remedy problems. Folks at the top were old school and not progressive enough. Hours were reasonable and team leads were great because they understood the challenges that came with recruiting. Generally flexible if situations arose where you had to work from home, but the company was not remote friendly in general.

Cons

Metrics, metrics, metrics. This company started "metric" ing sales and recruitment to death a couple of years ago. Unless you're a rockstar, commission structure is limited, hardly any serious incentives or worthwhile bonuses to aim for. Management more or less got rid of those. Don't expect to make much more than 75K-80K tops at most if you're a recruiter--and plenty of recruiters make less than that. Professional growth is limited. From friends who are still there, now Sales have to robocall prospective clients to death. Not a good precedent for the company, spamming would be clients.

Advice to Management

Quarterly reports were understandable, but the excessive meetings and metrics--really the micromanagement of recruiters and sales--pushed me out the door. I was not the only person there unhappy about it. Let people do their jobs and don't use their precious time to recruit.

"Worst company I have ever worked for"

Pros

Training in New York and getting them to pay for your food travel. Other than that horrible company. Don’t work here

Cons

No help as a new recruiter, all they care about is you making calls, even if you know it’s a dead end...they don’t care they just want you to smile and dial and leave voicemails all day

Aug 6, 2018 – Employment manager

SGA has a hands-on training program for all new employees. There are clear goals and benchmarks in place in order to progress in and from training. In addition, every employee, at any level, is... More

7. "Great Company!"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager

I worked at Software Guidance & Assistance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people who really care about fellow employees! They show tremendous support for everyone, and provided me with the tools to be successful.

Cons

Need to better utilize the talents and strengths of employees

Advice to Management

Recognize that not everyone can wear the same set of hats...

8. "SGA Technical Recruiter"

I worked at Software Guidance & Assistance full-time

Pros

SGA has some of the best people I've ever worked with, and I formed lifelong friendships while I was there. The training program is great, you definitely learn the basics of recruiting and how to talk to almost anyone. Nobody's watching/policing the clock, everyone takes lunch and is encouraged to, lots of company camaraderie and chances for bonding.

Cons

Lots of company-wide changes in a short periods of time, and teams are not run the same way which can be confusing/frustrating. There is a lack of training on tech which would be very beneficial to both new and seasoned staff.

Advice to Management

Slow down a little with the changes and listen to your recruiters, they're fantastic and want to work hard to make you (and them) money.

"Consultant"

Former Employee - Consultant
    Former Employee - Consultant

I worked at Software Guidance & Assistance full-time

Pros

Pay was decent I suppose

Cons

If you enjoy being misled and lied to, this is the firm for you.

Advice to Management

If you think we consultants don't talk about what firm's try to pull over on us, you are surely mistaken.

Oct 13, 2017 – Hd of Recruiting, Social Media

SGA's dedicated staff of professionals are held to the same ethical principles upon which the company was founded including, "integrity and quality in everything that we do." We are and EEO employer... More

10. "Senior IT Recruiter"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Recruiter

Pros

Company has driven employees working for a common goal.

Cons

Minimize the micro managing where possible

Advice to Management

minimize micro managing

Oct 13, 2017 – Hd of Recruiting, Social Media

Micromanagement is a management style whereby a manager closely observes and/or controls the work of his/her subordinates or employees. SGA sets clear expectations and goals and, while we foster a... More