Soil and Materials Engineers Reviews | Glassdoor

Mark K. Kramer
  1. "CMS Field Co-Op"

Former Employee - CMS Co-Op in Shelby Township, MI

I worked at Soil and Materials Engineers part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great company to work for. They really care about the co-ops and enjoy having them in the office. You also get great hands on experience

Cons

You can burn out quickly

Advice to Management

n/a

Soil and Materials Engineers2018-08-17
    • "Good Company"

I have been working at Soil and Materials Engineers full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

It’s a company that strongly believes that family comes first and works around your schedule to make sure you have a work/home life balance

Cons

Like any growing company there are growing pains. However I believe they are trying to make sure employees needs are met.

Soil and Materials Engineers2019-05-15
    • "Great co-workers, tough industry"

Former Employee - Co-Op Student

I worked at Soil and Materials Engineers for less than a year

Pros

My co-workers were amazing, extremely knowledgeable in their field, funny and very welcoming. Time spent at the office was always a treat. Also lots of overtime which is nice as an hourly employee. You also get to work on some pretty cool construction projects around the state.

Cons

The tests that you perform in the field are pretty laborious and the construction industry is tough. You may have to work weekends, nights, and have some early mornings. It is a great way to find out if the construction industry is right for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. You were one of the major reasons why I enjoyed working for this company.

Soil and Materials Engineers2019-04-05
    • "Staff Engineer"

I have been working at Soil and Materials Engineers full-time

Pros

- Good People - Good Reputation within Industry - Solid Team around you

Cons

- for field staff you are expected to work as much overtime as needed and at whatever hours of the day it is needed

Soil and Materials Engineers2018-12-12
    • "Good turned bad"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Lansing, MI

I worked at Soil and Materials Engineers full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

They have an excellent compensation and benefit package.

Cons

There is no seniority and Human Resources were extremely inappropriate and would lie right to your face. I lost my job due to lies being told about me which were eventually admitted to by HR which I did not find out about until I gave my notice. I was called into a meeting with HR and my supervisor which I walked out of absolutely in tears as I was told my job was in jeopardy. Even this did not prompt a follow-up...

Advice to Management

BE HONEST!!!! This was not just a job to me. I valued your company only to lose a job that I loved because of lies by an employee that is most likely still with you.

Soil and Materials Engineers2018-01-31

Soil and Materials Engineers Response

February 21, 2018Senior HR Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry to hear that you had issues with how your situation was handled. We are disappointed that your experience was not as we expect it to be and we take your concerns very seriously. While I was not involved in your situation, please feel free to ...

• "Good job great perks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Great place to work with very flexible hours. Loyalty pays off here and it's hard to ever leave. Good people all over the place.

Cons

Job can get a bit monotonous especially on the far outreaches of our territory. Not much bad to say about it.

Advice to Management

X x d d d d d d d x x x x x x x x x x d d d d x x x x x

Soil and Materials Engineers2017-07-15
    • "Co Op"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bay City, MI

I worked at Soil and Materials Engineers for less than a year

Pros

Good "first industry job" for Engineers. You will make pretty good money if you take advantage of overtime opportunities. Good management. The people you work with are pretty cool.

Cons

Lot's of downtime. The actual work you are doing isn't engineering work but tech work.

Soil and Materials Engineers2017-03-24
      • "Engineering Technician - Co-op"

Former Employee - Engineering Technician in Lansing, MI

I worked at Soil and Materials Engineers for less than a year

Pros

Great company to work with to get introduce to material testing and general consulting. Great work ethics and goals.

Cons

Schedule fluctuated and limited interactions with engineers. I am a Civil undergraduate student so wasn't the most relevant work. I was also fully aware of this before my employment.

Soil and Materials Engineers2015-10-07
      • "Engineering Tech (Co-Op)"

I worked at Soil and Materials Engineers

Pros

Good experience working with construction materials on job sites. A lot of independence.

Cons

Long work days and sometimes work during the weekends. Available hours are sometimes sporadic, especially late in the construction season.

Advice to Management

Give co-ops more opportunities to work with engineers.

Soil and Materials Engineers2015-10-20
      • "Field Technician (Co-op)"

Former Employee - Field Technician (Co-op) in Plymouth, MI

I worked at Soil and Materials Engineers full-time for less than a year

Pros

Field work Individual responsibility Large quantity of technical communication with clients (reports) Huge variety of construction seen - went to power plants, commercial sites, industrial sites, high-rises, etc. Direct managers are absolutely stellar

Cons

After 6 months, the work gets super repetitive. You will know the moment you show up on a site if you're having a good day or a bad day, and sometimes you get stuck on sites where every day is a bad day. The pay is average at best for co-ops. The work life balance can vary from average to awful, up to 70 hrs/week sometime (not a big deal as a co-op though - you're there to work). Upper management is completely out of...

Advice to Management

Clean house with upper management - completely out of touch with what goes on in the field, what clients want, and what clients and competitors think of SME. Pay grade is literally robbery, you're just getting away with it in a employer friendly market.

Soil and Materials Engineers2014-10-29