SolTech Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
CEO
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A goldmine for learning new technologies, working with good people"

Current Employee - Interface Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Interface Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SolTech full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Just hit 6 months of working here as a front end developer, and already I've been able to learn and work with the latest versions of two popular JavaScript libraries. Because the work is project-based, each new project often brings with it a new codebase and a chance to learn a new set of tools. If you like learning and aren't afraid of jumping in to a new stack every few months, you'll be right at home.

Almost all of the people I've worked with here are eager to learn and use best practices, and try to write good, clean code. I haven't seen anyone be lazy and coast on a project, everyone has pushed themselves.

Cons

With project-based work, there can be downtime between projects. It also lends itself to waves of people moving on at the same time. When I started, several key people left all within a month, and that caused a bit of uncertainty throughout the organization. However, things stabilized quickly and I haven't seen too many issues arise.

People have left a bit unexpectedly, or been asked to leave unexpectedly, and I don't have much visibility into the details. I get the sense that if you do your work and are respectful when interacting with the clients, you'll be just fine. But to be clear: there is a (healthy, some might say) expectation that you'll be able to switch from project to project and be productive very quickly. It's not an easy task, but it's the expectation. For me, that's a good kind of pressure. But it's not for everyone.

Advice to Management

Provide reassurance that we will be notified if we are under-performing well in advance of being asked to leave. Show us that you will give performance improvement plans that will give us a chance to turn things around.

Make it clear that the unexpected departure is the exception, not the rule.

Assure new developers that you will give them time to ramp up to being productive; even experienced developers need a few days to a week before they get up to full speed on a project.

For an easy win that would have a significant impact, drop the requirement that employees track every hour to a specific ticket in the ticket management system.

Keep doing what your doing when it comes to culture and employee activities. When employees come up with events and ideas and activities, do a little more to support that kind of thing. I have a feeling that half of the reason people stick around is because they like who they're working with (there are some really good people here, we gotta keep 'em).

Oct 27, 2017 – Director of Culture and Engagement

We believe that the exposure to incredibly talented coworkers and a wide range of relevant technologies are two of our most valuable assets as a company that we offer our team, and it makes us so... More

2. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at SolTech full-time

Pros

-Beautiful Office Space
    -Flexible Work Hours
    -Talented Co-Workers
    -Owners That Care
    -Free access to gym
    -Great culture for learning (i.e., regular lunch & learns with free food)
    -Very Client focused, associates pull together to achieve Client success
    -Chair massages once a month
    -Great social culture via Slack (pet channel), Taco Fridays, Weekly free workout sessions
    -Opportunity to be part of a fast growing organization

Cons

-Commute to the office, traffic can be bad but that is true for all of ATL

Advice to Management

-Keep doing what you are doing - listening to associates and being open to feedback.

Oct 27, 2017 – Director of Culture and Engagement

Thank you so much for sharing your experience! We're so happy you're happy!

Nothing beats that pet channel -- more fur babies, please!

"So much lost potential"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

- Great opportunity to work with new technologies.
    - Working with teams of very intelligent coworkers
    - Management tries to offer good benefits in an environment where that is harder and harder
    - Beautiful office space in a central, convenient location
    - The projects are interesting and cool and you have the opportunity to be as successful as you want to be

Cons

- Not a lot of growth potential
    - Leadership has no real concept of "delivery". New projects are exciting, but the day to day operations and the fulfillment of deliverables is lost.
    - The office is great, the equipment is sufficient. However, investing into growth strategies is lacking. No real sales or marketing. No investment in training and education of the staff.
    - Management talks about growth but lacks the ability and courage it takes to create real growth

Advice to Management

1. Hire good people and then get out of the way and let them do what they are good at.
    2. It is ok if you are not the smartest person in the room. You have a depth of knowledge and experience around you. Understand that when your employees give advice it isn't to usurp your authority, it is to improve a real problem. These people are in the trenches and are telling you what's really going on.
    3. Stop micro-managing people. Walking around to see who is working and at their desks a few times every day is not a reliable measure of an employees performance. Do they meet their obligations by fulfilling their daily tasks? Do they consistently show up or call into their meetings? These are metrics you can use to evaluate performance. If they can't cut it, let them go. If they consistently do those things and still find time for laughing, walking around, etc. then just let it go because these are the people creating a positive environment and showing the right way to do things.
    4. Stop looking at the bottom line for every decision. You took a chance on a great, new office. Take the chance on some other things too. Hire someone to just oversee operations while having someone else concentrate on sales. Understand that it is unrealistic to expect people to be 100% billable, and that is ok.
    5. Stop the churn. People do not want to leave, they want you to improve. Your employees like it there at first and only when they realize that they aren't going anywhere and the company isn't growing do they get fed up. Fix this.

Oct 27, 2017 – Director of Culture and Engagement

First off, thank you SO much for being so thorough in your review. We value this type of detail because we can't know how to improve unless we hear directly from our team about the things they find... More

4. "Technical Architect Consultant"

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SolTech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have nothing but complete respect to the company's management and leadership team. Time and time again I have been pleasantly surprised by the support management provides to everyone in the company. While no company is perfect, Soltech has constantly made improvements to provide a better workplace for everyone. Soltech's leadership team is quick to recognize and reward good performance.

The company is also very generous. When I was there, the company gifted every employee expensive and cool electronic gadgets (MacBooks, iPads, etc.). Moreover, if you refer a talented professional, which I did, the company has a good referral program.

As the company continues to grow, I have no doubt that it will continue improving workplace conditions and other employee benefits.

Cons

While this is not a negative comment towards the company, I can see why some people would think that this is not the ideal place for them. Soltech is a consulting firm and, typically, consulting firms are different to non-consulting firms/companies. To succeed at Soltech, I believe you have to be a person that takes on initiatives rather than be a person that expects to be told what to do every step of the way.

Advice to Management

I would like to see Soltech establish itself as a stronger consulting firm. The company could possibly partner with one of the city’s prominent colleges and universities to attract younger talent to take on more projects and inject an energetic vibe.

"Awful experience"

I worked at SolTech full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The architect that I worked with was extremely knowledgeable and fun to work with. Same for their graphic designer.

Cons

Where to begin?
    I was lied to during the interview process to get me on board.
    When I brought up the promises made to me during the interview process, I was told in no uncertain terms that they wouldn't be fulfilled.
    I was given old, underpowered, buggy hardware to work on, and when I mentioned it on numerous occasions in an attempt to get hardware that wouldn't cause me daily downtime, nothing was ever done.
    They claim to be doing Agile development, but do it about as wrongly as it's possible to do it.
    The agile development software that they use is very out of date, and not used correctly, which creates a great deal of confusion, wasted time, and frustration for developers.
    Certain people in management are constantly dismissive well beyond the point of rudeness when developers approach him in order to try to gain a better understanding of client needs, which are rarely conveyed clearly when they are conveyed at all.
    QA was told by management on multiple occasions to just pass stories that were known not to come close to meeting their acceptance criteria, so that velocity would be high.
    If you are ill, you must either come in, so as to needlessly expose all of your colleagues to your illness (or conversely, be exposed to someone else's illness, if someone else on your team is ill), or take the day off. You aren't permitted to work from home while ill, regardless of deadlines, or whether others on your team will be hindered by your lost time.
    After having been lied to during the interview process, and having lost all trust and confidence in the management team through several months' interaction with them, I saw a review here that said the following: "Another co-worker put in his two weeks notice and they immediately fired him" (The review is titled: "They're trying but it's not enough."). Fearing the same would happen to me, I ended up doing something that I have never done before. I left without notice. I hated to do it, but I simply could not trust anyone there after the experience that I had.
    When I did leave, I had to fight to get my last check, and it took nearly 3 months for me to receive it.
    I have been working in IT for around 10 years, and I have never had an experience like this before. It was, in all ways, bizarre and frustrating.

Advice to Management

Resolve all of the above-mentioned issues.

"Wonderful Company!"

Pros

In every conversation, public and private, the company's leadership prioritized doing the right thing for its employees and clients. The office space is incredible, but every area of the environment is also considered. From on-going training and surprise gifts, to monthly impact meetings to ensure positive changes and open communication, I was impressed. I know the leadership reviews every comment listed on this site- the good and the bad- and work hard every day to ensure the best experience possible for both their internal and external clients.

Cons

Nothing to report- thank you for everything.

"Not Perfect, But Better than Most Tech Companies"

I have been working at SolTech full-time

Pros

The use of many technologies and openness to using any technology best-suited for each project is awesome. The culture is open and humble; everyone learns from one another and are open to change.

Cons

Requirements are not always well-defined for many projects. There is not a substantial investment on training employees and investing in research to discover more productive workflows.

Advice to Management

Listen to your developers more and provide a forum for everyone to have their opinion heard. Invest in employees by providing more training/learning opportunities in addition to lunch and learns.

Apr 7, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback with us! One of the things we love about our business is our ability to enable our employees to use a wide variety of technologies based on what our... More

"Great Culture and Great Projects"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buckhead, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buckhead, GA

I have been working at SolTech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture has been such a great change as the company keeps growing. SolTech has gone through a great change over the last nine months toward building a better environment for the employees and getting some amazing projects that not only enjoyable but give the developer or designer more chances to grow in their career.

Cons

Better benefits. More work for home.

Advice to Management

More growth , more work from home, better benefits.

"Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Nice open office space. Very collaborative layout. Great people to work with. Easy to approach management, very open door feel. Decent variety of projects to work on. Involved in the IT community(Meetups). Very easy access to the office since Marta station is across the street and attached by walkway.

Cons

Sometimes if short on resources, tend to get stuck on a project. Hard part of a small IT shop is how to balance the amount of the constraints clients add to projects.

Advice to Management

Probably proactively check to see how happy employees are.

"Great company. Supportive management that wanted to see the team personally thrive."

Pros

Great office space. Good energy from the team. The company really cares about the clients and delivering creative solutions, regardless of the client size or the technology.

Cons

There isn't anything major that I find an issue with working here. The people are smart and the projects are varied and interesting.