SolTech Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO
1 Rating

1. "Company with a great heart"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SolTech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- the type of place you can make a difference
    - cutting edge project exposure for engineers
    - autonomy on project teams, not confined to a certain development process/stack
    - modern office space with all the latest trimmings of hardware/screen setup/ ample desk space
    - easy access to the founders every day
    - really great group of people, very honest, eager, and humble team
    - good benefits, right on the MARTA line, lots of professional development activity
    - strong foundation of almost 20 years as a business, none of the ebb and flow of startup uncertainty
    - no egos, no in-fighting, good teamwork basis on this team

Cons

- working with clients is a challenge that isn't for everyone; you have to enjoy deadlines
    - if you're a hardcore product person, this is custom development for clients and might not be a great place for you
    - have to be open to change, etc. - you have to enjoy new things, a company undergoing improvements and processes which require patience and open feedback, but worth it if you want to be part of a team you can make an impact on

Advice to Management

Management has been doing a good job of being more and more transparent and in touch with the team which I think is great - the team has been growing a lot and there's active improvement in communication and touch points with the team. They are empathetic to personal situations and really try to push a good life balance. Keep that up.

2. "Technical Architect Consultant"

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SolTech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have nothing but complete respect to the company's management and leadership team. Time and time again I have been pleasantly surprised by the support management provides to everyone in the company. While no company is perfect, Soltech has constantly made improvements to provide a better workplace for everyone. Soltech's leadership team is quick to recognize and reward good performance.

The company is also very generous. When I was there, the company gifted every employee expensive and cool electronic gadgets (MacBooks, iPads, etc.). Moreover, if you refer a talented professional, which I did, the company has a good referral program.

As the company continues to grow, I have no doubt that it will continue improving workplace conditions and other employee benefits.

Cons

While this is not a negative comment towards the company, I can see why some people would think that this is not the ideal place for them. Soltech is a consulting firm and, typically, consulting firms are different to non-consulting firms/companies. To succeed at Soltech, I believe you have to be a person that takes on initiatives rather than be a person that expects to be told what to do every step of the way.

Advice to Management

I would like to see Soltech establish itself as a stronger consulting firm. The company could possibly partner with one of the city’s prominent colleges and universities to attract younger talent to take on more projects and inject an energetic vibe.

"Unprofessional and ethically challenged."

Former Employee - Director of Software Development in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Director of Software Development in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SolTech full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

- The Paychecks cleared,
     - Building was air conditioned.
     - Parking was available.
     - Nobody tried to physically attack me.
     - I enjoyed working with the different clients.

Cons

I have been developing software for 25 years. This is hands down, one of the worst places I have every worked. Listed below are some of the things I had to deal with.
    - Salaries are not competitive. This was my fault, don't let it be yours.
    - They lie. I was asked to lie to clients on multiple occasions, to their detriment and the company's benefit.
    - I watched as management hovered over developers, waiting for the code to be finished and then firing them on the spot.
    - I watched as one employee was approved for extended vacation to India, only to return and be told they were fired effective of the day they left.
    - Virtually every time going to lunch with co-workers, the conversation was dominated by negative opinions about the company.
    - When I started, I should have seen the warning signs. I was told I was in the running with another candidate and if I just quit my old job without a 2 weeks notice, I would get preferential treatment. This is wrong and I didn't see it till too late.
    - During a renovation, I had concerns with allergies (dust and mold being stirred up). I had medical forms to that effect that my environment was causing a problem. Instead of working with me, I was told that I was lying about my allergies and get back to work.

There are so many better places to work. Find another.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. No advice to this management is going to change anything. For those of you who think the management doesn't know what is going on, do not be fooled. They know exactly what they are doing which is why I left.

"Great Culture and Great Projects"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buckhead, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Buckhead, GA

I have been working at SolTech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture has been such a great change as the company keeps growing. SolTech has gone through a great change over the last nine months toward building a better environment for the employees and getting some amazing projects that not only enjoyable but give the developer or designer more chances to grow in their career.

Cons

Better benefits. More work for home.

Advice to Management

More growth , more work from home, better benefits.

"Great Place to Work"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Nice open office space. Very collaborative layout. Great people to work with. Easy to approach management, very open door feel. Decent variety of projects to work on. Involved in the IT community(Meetups). Very easy access to the office since Marta station is across the street and attached by walkway.

Cons

Sometimes if short on resources, tend to get stuck on a project. Hard part of a small IT shop is how to balance the amount of the constraints clients add to projects.

Advice to Management

Probably proactively check to see how happy employees are.

"They're trying but it's not enough."

I worked at SolTech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great office. I enjoyed the face paced work and it allowed for me to grow. My co-workers were very diverse and interesting people but I couldn't help but feel like they were taken advantage of. It is obvious that they are trying to change the mentality / beginning to listen to some of the criticisms which is greatly appreciated but is still not enough. Flex Schedule is nice and nobody was micromanaging when I come in and leave.

Cons

Where to begin? I'd say the number one reason people leave Soltech is fear. Over my year tenure I saw several of my close friends/co-workers fired without warning. Another co-worker put in his two weeks notice and they immediately fired him (not even sure if that's legal). Most of the mentality is focused on draining every last dime from the customer instead of providing the best product. The company is so used to keeping people for such a short time they don't invest in any lunch and learns which is annoying when you see people making the same mistakes over and over. The vacation time they provide is very low and I passed up on many trips due to simply not having PTO. The machines they have everybody working on are outdated, the internet is slow when it's actually up and working. I requested licensed software several times but it fell on deaf ears. Unless you're a core member of Soltech or a higher up there is no working from home which is incredibly unattractive as an employee (going back to squeezing every last penny out of us). I waited several months for my review and never got it which was the big reason I left.

(KEEP IN MIND THAT SEVERAL OF THESE GLASS DOOR REVIEWS ARE WRITTEN BY RECRUITERS WORKING AT SOLTECH CURRENTLY. THEY TRY TO OFFSET ALL OF THESE NEGATIVE REVIEWS. THERE ISN'T A PERSON I WORKED WITH OVER THE PAST YEAR THAT WOULD RATE THEM 5/5 ON ANYTHING).

Advice to Management

Management at soltech are merely puppets of the two owners (CEO & VP). Ultimately they are unable to change things and are made to enforce micro-managed policies that leave everybody wondering where they went wrong, when deep down they all know. Treat your employees well, not like disposable contractors (ESPECIALLY IF THEY ARE FULL TIME!). I'm not saying give everybody what they want but when requests for change outweigh actual action on management behalf the way they do at Soltech then there is a huge problem. Getting a $25 license for an IDE shouldn't be problem and if it is then I think we've established why Soltech fails to keep any decent developers.

SolTech Response

Apr 8, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about working with us. First, I am glad you enjoyed our office space and felt like you grew in your career while you were with us. Our team is ... More

"Fun place to work where experts team up to deliver fast-paced projects"

Former Employee - Technical Architect in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Technical Architect in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SolTech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great people
    - Ability to work on many projects and learn many new technologies
    - If you want to make a larger contribution and offer it, Soltech will let you make a difference
    - Flexible work schedule
    - Awesome office with 270 degree view from 24th floor covering Midtown-Downtown skyline, Buckhead skyline, Stone Mountain

Cons

- Due to a large number of customers with fast-paced projects, the priorities can change frequently. This requires great time management and task prioritization skills.
    - Taking time off can be difficult if it affects project timelines

Advice to Management

- Improve task delegation / tracking process with something that eases this for employees. Jira is great, but it does not look like it fits well in a consulting environment with people that work on multiple projects with different development methodologies.
    - Differentiate better between staff augmentation versus custom software development projects. Try not to mix the two because they require very different customer and employee expectations

"Run!"

I worked at SolTech full-time (More than a year)

Pros

other than sometimes working with newest technologies and a few good people...not much positive to say. oh yeah, they paid for parking.

Cons

Was hired for a specific role and technology based on my experience. When that project ended, they threw me into projects where I had no expertise, they provided no training or guidance. They actually told me not to ask questions of more-experienced team members. Then within a few weeks, they fired me. Over the 2+ years I worked there, I saw this happen several times and just hoped it wouldn't happen to me. It is a revolving door of hiring and firing.

Very few projects were successful...they'd under-estimate the scope of a project to get the contract, then look for ways to short-cut development to remain on-budget. This was often at the expense of the developers and critical application functionality. The customers would not get a fully working solution - just something that "technically" met the requirements of the contract. The project managers and solution architects spend WAY too much time shuffling blame and covering their posteriors. The level of stress is some of the worst I've seen at any job. And...I saw a lot of unhappy clients.

The entire management structure is extremely passive-aggressive and disingenuous. I was hired directly by one of the owners and they had been after me for several years to join their company after having been placed by them a few years earlier. When they fired me, neither owner was available. They had an underling do the dirty work. It was the first I had heard of any dissatisfaction with me and I was given no opportunity to correct or address anything. The owners did not respond to my call or email until about 3 weeks later - by then, I just had nothing to say. I also lost over 3 weeks of accrued vacation and got no severance.

They talk about their good benefits and culture, but neither is true. Medical insurance is some of the most expensive and least-comprehensive I've ever had. A work-life balance does not exist. It is only about putting in hours and meeting unrealistic deadlines. It's really shocking how many former Soltech employees I run into in this town.

Advice to Management

I hope you enjoy your opulent lifestyle at the expense of others. It seems you really believe you have a great company with great benefits and happy employees. Unfortunately, I don't think you have any idea what is/was really going on. Everyone starts at Soltech believing it is a good place to work, then the reality hits them and from then they're just trying to keep from getting fired until they find something better.

SolTech Response

Apr 8, 2016 – CEO

First, I want to thank you for taking the time to write this review and share your feelings about your time with us. I do apologize that it has taken a while to respond, but I want to say that I am ... More

"Read the employee handbook before accepting a job"

Current Employee - Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Developer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SolTech full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked on a critical piece of an interesting project

Cons

Have a policy of having to forfeit any earned vacation time if you give your 2 weeks notice.

Worst health/Dental plan I've ever had with an employer

I worked for Soltech in Atlanta, GA. I consulted for one of their clients who had a high profile project to complete and worked on a critical piece of the project. I needed to use vacation time for family reasons, but had to postpone my plans due to deadlines. After working overtime without pay to get the project completed and having been burnt out, I decided to leave after completing the project. After I gave the 2 weeks notice and give them the option that I can either use my vacation time or be paid for the vacation time, I was told that they have a policy that states you forfeit your vacation when you give the 2 weeks notice! I had never encountered such a lousy company policy before, however, after reviving the employee handbook it was there as stated. Turns out that Georgia is one notoriously bad state when comes to employee rights and leaves this sort of things for the employer to decide. This company, soltech.net, in particular is one of the worst I have run across that used it to its advantage. Keep that in mind and review the employee handbook before you give notice to your current employer so you wont run into ugly situations.

Advice to Management

What goes around comes around. Dont forget Atlanta is a small place.

"One of the worst experiences ever"

Current Employee - .NET Developer in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - .NET Developer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SolTech full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They were on the latest technology, other than that there were no benefits.

Cons

The management is horrible. They estimate way low and over work you without paying you for it. If there is no work they push you out of the company. They are lucky they haven't been sued yet.

Advice to Management

Just quit while you are ahead, you don't have a viable business model. Your company more resembles a mafia than a company.