Solar Transport Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Good Company"

I have been working at Solar Transport full-time

Pros

So far I have been happy to have joined this company. They have pretty good benefits and pay.

Cons

Not really any cons to say

Oct 8, 2018 – Marketing Analyst

Thank you for your review and for all you do with Solar. We are pride ourselves on making every experience a Great One. Please never hesitate to reach-out to our staff with any concerns.

"Run away or wear head to toe armor to avoid getting hit"

Current Employee - Corporate Operations Department in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Corporate Operations Department in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Solar Transport full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work with old management from 2017 and prior

Cons

Very stressful, no appreciation, no pay raises but in $160 million dollar new building, very violent president Rich Clair, screams at people every day and throws tantrum throwing items at people, no longer team company, everyone afraid to speak or get yelled at by Rich. Rich thinks he knows it all but is 90% of the time wrong. Doesn't know trucking at all and brags to everyone how smart he is all day but he is really an idiot. They expect you to work 24/7 and no family time even for children's events. Rich tells you no you can't leave early to attend a children's event.

Advice to Management

Get rid of Rich Clair and bring in new management so we are not scared to come to work. Long term people are quitting weekly and even daily all because of Rich Clair. I was hoping management would see how violent Rich is and get rid of him so I haven't quit yet. But it looks like they are okay with his screaming so I'll be quitting soon. Everyone is tired of getting yelled at and talked down to every single day by Rich.

3. "Used to be great! Now...not so much."

Current Employee - Fuel Truck Driver
    Current Employee - Fuel Truck Driver

I have been working at Solar Transport full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay. Lots of hours. Decent equioment

Cons

Driving a rolling bomb around others who don't care. Local management is not supportive of drivers and borders on incompetent. HQ management is, based on inside information, lacking direction and with so many new in their positions, unsure of how to progress forward.

Advice to Management

Send local management to leadership classes so they know how to actually work with subordinates using something other than intimidation. Teach them that sensitive subjects/counseling should be done in private, not in a parking lot in front of other drivers.
    Information: Teach them that information is NOT something that should be withheld, but shared so that employees feel they have a stake in the company, with appropriate exclusions for confidentiality.
    For instance, it is a safety issue when drivers are not informed that someone has left the company. We should know that if we see the person around our equipment (rolling bombs), we need to say something. If it happens with every employee, we will never know if that person left voluntarily or involuntarily.
    Second, we should know what locations we are servicing under contract. That way, if we have too much fuel to fit in one location we can offer dispatch a range of nearby options instead of waiting for them to choose something across town for us...through rush hour traffic.
    As it is now, you have to drag the information out by asking the right questions. We currently have no idea what the company direction is, what our new priorities are with this new president, what our mission is, will our business grow or shrink, what our strategy is, metrics of how we are performing overall. This express lack of information transforms us from engaged, dedicated employees vested in the company to '9 to 5'ers'; those only here to collect a paycheck. What kind of driver does management want? Those who care about the company, the equipment and the customers? Or those who care only about themselves and their checks?
    Opinions: If you want actual opinions from drivers, don't pay some service to poll the drivers. On average, blind polls return anywhere from 3% to 8% of the targeted respondents. If you want information, ask for volunteers from the drivers to create an advisory committee. Select a few from each region. That way you already have buy-in from people who will have a vested interest in telling you what they think as well as a desire to do just that.
    Change management: We understand that every company needs to be able to adapt to different business environments. However, there are well establish methods to affect change in order to reduce the level of insecurity in employees and give them a voice to at least encourage buy-in. This company has been terrible in this area and has lost good employees because of it.

Before I was a driver, I was a manager for over 14 years. I have a Bachelors in Business Administration. I have a lot of knowledge and experience in managing people and processes which I have tried to impart to local management...mostly on deaf ears.

4. "paid every week"

I worked at Solar Transport full-time

Pros

paid every week check on the computer

Cons

they show favortisum for there friends

Mar 19, 2018

We appreciate your feedback. We truly value each and every one of our drivers and are sorry to hear of your experience. Please give HR a call with more information so that we can best understand what... More

5. "Driver"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Solar Transport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Always loads to run

Cons

If your not into the weather elements. It's only for a short time. .

Advice to Management

Expect drivers to turn down runs..

6. "Worst Company To Work For!!"

Former Employee - Driver in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Driver in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Solar Transport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good training program and friendly drivers.

Cons

Management is a joke. They have no idea how to retain or relate to us drivers.
    Having a driver appreciation event once a year and getting drunk does not qualify as good management.
    They stress to us about referral bonus and getting more drivers. But, yet when my friend applies the recruiter refuses to call him back. What a JOKE!!
    Solar, if you haven't noticed there's a shortage of drivers in the industry and your 5K sign on bonus ain't gone cut it with your incompetent recruiter and deceiving style of management.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to drivers just to keep us on board.

Mar 2, 2018

Thank you for the feedback. We're sorry to hear about your negative experience. We will use this as an opportunity to follow up with these issues and improve our employee and customer experience. We... More

7. "The Worst Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Solar Transport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

0- There are ZERO pros

Cons

The managers are all out for themselves and are not bright. (bad combination)

Advice to Management

They are bumbling and inept - I don't think they know what "due diligence" is.

Feb 26, 2018

We are sorry to hear about your experience working for Solar and appreciate your input. Our managers are committed to making Solar a great place to work for our drivers and our office staff. We value... More

8. "Driver"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Solar Transport full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly dispatch "day" some what nice equipment only 3 new trucks park at Ryder yard

Cons

Pay is about 15% lower than all other crude oil company. Night dispatch is rude disrespectful and can't read a map to utilize fuel and time... company has "safety/driver" appreciation meetings every once in a while but and it's a drunken fest on company's dime. Managers and regional operations manager will lie to you just to shut you up.. if you don't work a minimal 12 hrs punishments will be enjoyed the next day

Advice to Management

Jeff get ahold of your staff. When I started there was a video that said drivers were first but yet we are treated like garbage

Dec 21, 2017 – HR Generalist

I am so sorry to hear about these concerns, our drivers our our top priority and we don't want you to feel this way. The HR team would like to speak with you to discuss these concerns so that we can... More

9. "Great Company & Great Associates"

Current Employee - Human Resources in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Solar Transport full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The People! Strong benefits, great associates, and always working as a team to make business better.

Cons

Nothing, always making it a great day at Solar!

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your associates; drivers & office. Continue to make each day better, and business even stronger. Serving customers to the best that we can; strong customer service both internally & externally.

Jan 11, 2018 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your feedback! Agreed, Solar associates are the best!

10. "Office Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Solar Transport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture at Solar is amazing, everyone is so friendly and you truly feel that the company cares about you as an individual. There's a focus on work-life balance, which is appreciated. It's a family friendly company and a very positive work environment. I enjoy coming to work everyday.

Cons

Nothing bad to say, it truly is a great place to work. As with any small company, we need more associates. There's a lot of great work going on but we can do more!

Advice to Management

Please keep working on growing the departments, there is so much potential for growth, both as a company and for current associates. Solar is a great place to work, let's continue on that path and focus on providing a great company culture!