Solar Transport Reviews | Glassdoor

"Driver"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Bell Gardens, CA
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Bell Gardens, CA

I have been working at Solar Transport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The simple fact that solar transport respects all of their employees, it is awesome!!

Cons

As of today? I have not experienced a downside to this company in solar?

Advice to Management

The best feeling to coming in to work, knowing that we as employees are appreciated, great work!!

Sep 29, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for the feedback! It's great to know that you are happy with Solar and can recognize all the hard work that we have done in order to become a great place to work! Please continue to send us... More

2. "Office Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Solar Transport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture at Solar is amazing, everyone is so friendly and you truly feel that the company cares about you as an individual. There's a focus on work-life balance, which is appreciated. It's a family friendly company and a very positive work environment. I enjoy coming to work everyday.

Cons

Nothing bad to say, it truly is a great place to work. As with any small company, we need more associates. There's a lot of great work going on but we can do more!

Advice to Management

Please keep working on growing the departments, there is so much potential for growth, both as a company and for current associates. Solar is a great place to work, let's continue on that path and focus on providing a great company culture!

3. "Overall excellent company to work for."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA

I worked at Solar Transport full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, in large part driven by leader Jeff Moe. He creates an environment of accountability, without an overbearing management style. This is not common in the trucking industry at large.

Cons

Trucking is a difficult industry to work in, and Solar is not immune to that. Having a large sister company who is the largest customer presents unique challenges.

Advice to Management

Try to keep and improve the culture created and fostered during the past 10-12 years.

Sep 29, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you so much for your feedback and your honesty is appreciated. Our biggest focus is our culture and something that we are very proud of. We will continue to make improvements and make sure that... More

4. "Product Delivery Truck Driver"

Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Fontana, CA
    Current Employee - Class A Truck Driver in Fontana, CA

I have been working at Solar Transport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Respect, Management very professional, company works with you any time you need help.

Cons

Schedule, pay O.T. More safety meetings

Advice to Management

Pay Bonus base on safety not on productivity.

Sep 29, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to be a company that offers competitive pay. Please continue to give us feedback on how we can do better! We have made so many improvements and there are... More

5. "What you asked for"

Current Employee - Driver in Colton, CA
    Current Employee - Driver in Colton, CA

I have been working at Solar Transport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solar has pretty much always kept good equipment for the drivers. I like the 401k and Christmas club and the pay is on par with the rest of the industry

Cons

There have been no raises and the industry has gone up to our level in the past year so we are no longer top dog.
    I do not like when I take a day off that I am forced to use my pto time I feel I should have the ability to take a day without pay if I like and save my pto for what it's intended for vacation. Solar has switched the pto to hours instead of days in California however I still have to use 10 hours for a day off I feel I should be able to say something like "I only want to use 5 hours for this day"
    I really don't like the fact that nobody can explain how the bonus system works. The only thing I have been told is we know that the bonus system does not work for the Colton drivers due to the excessive rack wait. If I am not receiving a bonus that means I'm doing something wrong however I don't know what I'm doing wrong if nobody can tell me why I didn't receive the bonus. That is extremely frustrating. I know I'm not the fastest guy out here but I pride myself in professionalism and job experience. I have no recordable mistakes and I was also the first drive in the Solar pacific fleet to earn an award from Mobil Vernan for following operating procedures correctly.

Advice to Management

I really like our management here at solar I just wish at times I could see more of you.

Sep 29, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you! We are happy that you enjoy the 401k and Christmas Club savings account benefit, these are benefits that not every company can provide and we are happy to offer these. Our management team... More

6. "Office Employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Solar Transport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solar Transport has wonderful values and beliefs! I have been with the company for over 3 years and have nothing bad to say. I love coming to work, the environment is great, management treats everyone equally and most importantly every position, every employer is valued and appreciated!! Management works with staff to make sure everyones needs are met, or the best they can. Also everything introduced to you is what you'll get. Most transportation companies from my experience have made false promises especially to drivers- and Solar is not one of them. Everything is laid out in front of you.

Cons

Nothing bad to say!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great culture! From the president of the company to a low entry position worker, you wouldn't know the different because everyone treats each other equally, and that is very rare to find!

Sep 29, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you! Our culture is extremely important and it's great to know that our associates feel valued. We pride ourselves on being transparent with our associates and recruits, it's one of our core... More

7. "Driver"

Current Employee - Driver in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Driver in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Solar Transport full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Will go to back for you, just do your job and don't be part of the problem. I have had no problems with Solar. I come to work to do my job and go home to my family. I try to be part of the solution, not the problem and in return, they have been great! Benefits were active 45 days of hire, they have a savings program that I take full advantage of and use for family vacations and I'm home every night!

Cons

No one... no company is perfect! My advise, listen to the recruiters because they are up front and honest. Then, you will be able to make and informed decision whether or not Solar is a good fit. You're not going to like EVERYTHING, but that's life and part of any job you will get.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work. They listen, they review, and they act... good job!

Sep 29, 2017 – HR Generalist

It's great to hear that you are enjoying our benefits! We are proud of the savings program, not many other companies offer this benefit and we are thrilled to be able to. We definitely listen to what... More

8. "Delivery driver"

Former Employee - Driver in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Driver in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Solar Transport full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is pretty good for a job that you go home every day. The trucks are new and most trailers are newer and well maintained

Cons

Have to work nights to start. Have to work holidays. Long lines at the pipeline sometimes. You get 2 days off a week but it will be Tuesday and Wednesday night to start.

Advice to Management

Management is pretty good. They ask for driver input.

9. "Delivery Driver"

Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Delivery Driver in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Solar Transport full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Steady work, you can work like a slave. Expect minimal benefit, and buy lunch from company store without compensation.

Cons

Work like a slave. Buy lunch from the company store without compensation. Find your wages often cheated. Have to work with broken out dated equipment and be held responsible for its lack of function.

Advice to Management

Discover humanity. Big business corporation should not be your only friend. Please stop with the motivational phone conference presentations. I don't think any human being likes to hear themselves talk that much about daily events that have little to do with the average driver and still put in way to much work.

Sep 29, 2017 – HR Generalist

We are very proud to announce that all our Solar drivers and associates are eligible to receive discounts for fresh food and beverages. We listened to what our drivers were telling us, and we... More

"Good company"

Current Employee - Driver in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Driver in Denver, CO

I have been working at Solar Transport full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Home time, set days off,nice equipment,the benefits are decent.

Cons

Better pay! but that is always the case no matter who you work for.

Advice to Management

Raise pay every one or two years, train Dispatch on truck routing to maximize efficiency, not just run trucks back and forth all over town.

Sep 29, 2017 – HR Generalist

Thank you for the feedback. We routinely evaluate pay to make sure that we are competitive with the market. We just announced that we will be paying Hourly pay in Colorado as a result of the feedback... More