SolarCity Field Sales Representative Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
SolarCity CEO & Co-Founder Lyndon Rive
Lyndon Rive

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We're changing the world one rooftop at a time (in 60 reviews)

• Good pay; Great People; Amazing Mission - this is a really great company to work for if you love Elon this is the place for you (in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance even though this is what they preach (in 101 reviews)

• Work long hours out of necessity to meet quota (sometimes 70 or 80 hour weeks) (in 73 reviews)

"FEC"

Current Employee - Outside Field Energy Consultant/Territory Sales Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

SolarCity is a great company to work for. Lots of new and inovative technology that can really help you drive your sales. Alot of support from managment to help you succeed and grow your own business.

Cons

You cannot rely on the company to provide you with business. To make money, youi must be willing to go out and find your own business. Also, Change happens often. if you don't like change, this is not the company for you.

Advice to Management

Be realistic in the interview process and do not sugarcoat how much people will make out of the gate. An avg employee to you is really the top 5 % of the company. If you want that kind of person, hire them. Don't BS and force someone to quit later.

2. "Field Energy Consultant"

Former Employee - Field Sales Representative in Beltsville, MD
    Former Employee - Field Sales Representative in Beltsville, MD

I worked at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Loved the flexibility which faded very fast. Depending on your manager you could face micro managing.

Cons

Poor management upkeep. Unequal values within the company

Advice to Management

Learn to value people by their skill set and content of character

"There is No Place Like SolarCity!"

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Blackwood, NJ
    Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Blackwood, NJ

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working at SolarCity is a very stress free no pressure environment that make it a pleaure to wake up and go to work every day.I consider one of the luckiest days of my life when they offered me a career with the company .I have never worked somewhere that ever person in the company has the access reach out to the founders of the company on any given day and they look forward to hearing your input on how to make their company a better place.

Cons

I really do not have anything bad to say about the company and I am very satisified with my employment.

4. "Why SolarCity Kicks Arse!"

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Mililani, HI
    Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Mililani, HI

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Where do I start?
    We are lead by the Rives. They are two genius brothers that are shaping the way solar is looked at across the USA and world.
    Everyone that works at every office that I have ever spoken is extremely stoked to be working for the markect leader. Everyone is positive and upbeat. Everyone.
    SolarCity stands by all of their work for 20 years from the smallest screw to the largest inverter! Thats monitoring, insuring, maintenance, and production guarantees! We dont push product like everyone else, WE PROVIDE AND SELL CLEAN ENERGY! Oh, and its free!
    SolarCity saves the climate one household at a time. We work with the customer to customize a perfect system to their needs. We work with them and for them every step of the way.
    Every employee owns stock in the company and we pride ourselves on incredible work whether it be installing panels or filing documents. We are so proud of our company and work that we dont subcontract and we perform all of our own work.

Cons

Zero. Hard work? But hard work pays off where ever you work.

Advice to Management

Thank you for paving the way for clean energy and working tirelessly while keeping your employees in mind providing stock options, benefits, and everything else.

"A sales team that over promises and drastically under delivers"

Former Employee - Field Sales Representative in Norwalk, CT
    Former Employee - Field Sales Representative in Norwalk, CT

I worked at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Possible Career advancement potential after achieving qouta

Cons

Too many to write about

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees that create sales

"The most abusive management I've ever worked for, in 25 years of working"

Former Employee - Field Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Field Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits - base salary, car, phone, and computer provided, all expenses paid

Cons

The most abusive management I have ever worked for, in 25 years. Still use old-fashioned browbeating, bullying sales techniques. They micromanage every minute of your day, with so many reports and "Go-To's" you can barely get your SALES job done. Then they demand outrageous quotas without giving you the tools you need to meet those quotas.

Advice to Management

The management culture, in general, is not only not encouraging, but downright abusive. Much more production, and far better morale, would be had by having managers who ENCOURAGE rather than beating up your sales team. Give your salespeople the tools they need to meet quotas...that would be qualified leads, more canvassers, more lead generators.