SolarCity Reviews in Foster City, CA | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SolarCity CEO & Co-Founder Lyndon Rive
Lyndon Rive

Pros
  • We're changing the world one rooftop at a time (in 58 reviews)

• Good pay; Great People; Amazing Mission - this is a really great company to work for if you love Elon this is the place for you (in 90 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance even though this is what they preach (in 92 reviews)

• Sometime long hours but to be the best have to put in time (in 72 reviews)

"Good environment"

Current Employee - Solar Installer in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Solar Installer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Is good to know that we making a difference in the world

Cons

The wage is not up to standard on the area that we live in and fir the work we do

Advice to Management

I will recommend for ROM &assistance ROM to join a crew at least once a week so they can get the experience and the struggle what we go thru on a daily basis.

"Master electrician"

Former Employee - Master Electrician in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Master Electrician in Foster City, CA

Pros

None anymore it's changed,worked for 7 years and cashed out stock at high price.yeah!!! Cashed out at 56.00

Cons

Management changed and forgot that employees are what bring advancement and change. and that's why they have competition now. Stock less than 27.00 now lol.

Advice to Management

I work for a union bigger than them and who value experience and skills. Value the old school workers there we there before you got big and grew with you. And you stock went down after 2014. You forgot what made you great.

3. "Certified Electrician"

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

lots of available work, good benefits, good managers & co-workers, lots of training provided and working for scty helps me contribute to saving the environment

Cons

lots of work !

been here working hard for 2 years and doing everything that they ask me to do but I never got a pay increase (I was told when I was hired that I can get my desired pay in a short period of time)

Advice to Management

fulfill the promise given to me when I was hired, that I can easily get my desired pay (+$5/hour more of what I'm earning as of now or at least give me company stocks equivalent to this)

"If you value your Christian beliefs this is not a company for you"

Current Employee - Crew Lead in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Crew Lead in Foster City, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Panel pay and benefits not to mention my fellow installers other than that there is nothing else that is good about the company

Cons

Long hours and their plan is to make everyone work weekends and that includes Sunday. Solarcity is more interested in momey than you or your family. Elon and Tangy think that they own their employees and can make them do whst ever they want.
    When I started it was a Monday through Friday Opperation now we are working Saturdays now we are being asked to volunteer for Sundays. This is not a company for Christmas.

Advice to Management

Take care of your employees and making your employees work Sunday will upset them and lile me I will tell my church family, family and friends. I am not your puppet to do as you wish.

SolarCity Response

Sep 29, 2014 – SolarCity Recruiting

We are sorry to hear that changes caused by our growth have created conflict in your personal life. As a company that offers a retail product, it is a natural progression to offer our services and ... More

"No pay raises, negotiate your starting pay wisely"

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They have a position for everything. When a job gets sold, it literally gets handled by a dozen people before it gets installed.

Cons

With that being said, many details get left out and the left hand forgets to talk to the right. Insane demand and hours. Kiss your family good bye.

Advice to Management

Panel pay doesn't exist in the Bay Area. It's a mythical creature that disappears at the end of each pay cycle right after a job in San Francisco.

"Great company for corp positions & B2C sales"

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company overall. Good benefits, 401k, stock, etc. Terrific growth outlook for the next five to ten years on the residential side. Incredible internal EE referral program.
    Well thought out approach to the market. Great tools for the field reps to use.

Cons

Training is "fire-hose" style. Then you are thrown into the mix. Lots of conflicting information about what is and is not current/acceptable policy. It's a fast moving company, unfortunately that tends to lead to more than a little "Ready, Fire, Aim" in execution.

High burn-out rate. High expectations of accountability (8PM teleconference six nights per week for some managers). Need to be available to manager~12/7. The immediacy of the job often has reps going months without an actual day off.

VERY numbers based sales organization. Heavy on SFDC reports and Excel spreadsheets. No traditional "Sales Management" used; no coaching. More telling than listening. More lecturing than teaching. More reactive than proactive. (This MAY not be the case company-wide, but was seen prevalently in the Bay Area)

Even with a field team (FEAs) generating "qualified" leads at The Home Depot, Best Buy, mall kiosks, fairs, etc, the distribution of those leads is entirely subjective. Leads are almost always sent to the FECs who have been there the longest, leaving newer rep to scramble. The only alternative is for FECs to spend 20 - 30 hours each week at retail location to insure that the leads coming in go to them.

Virtually no marketing presence. There are a lot of mis-conceptions about how SolarCity approaches renewable energy, but no concerted effort to get the information to the marketplace. For the FEAs and FECs this puts them in a constant uphill battle.

Although sales contests and incentives abound, they are often complex, convoluted and hard to understand the metrics to achieve success.

* Recommended to friends under the right circumstances
    ** Six month Business outlook: Good. Outlook on Improvements to above: Poor
    *** Avoid the residential side if your expertise is Business-To-Business

Advice to Management

Invest more in training. Lots of reps in the field "selling" a poorly crafted vision of SC product and performance.

"Don't Drink The Kool Aid Until You Know How It's Made!"

Former Employee - Inside Commercial Sales in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Commercial Sales in Foster City, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Having worked at Solarcity as well as a number of other solar companies in the San Francisco Bay Area, here's my perspective on working in the "Green" . . ."Clean Tech" . . . "feel good industry" of solar power.

Pros:

No question solar power is good for the environment
    No question SolarCity, SunPower, SunPower and your local community installer are helping to create a distributed infrastructure of clean energy.
    No question American Jobs are being created!
    No question these jobs are a great learning experience for 1st time job seekers or those looking to make a career transition.

Now the Cons . . . or more aptly . . . the truth about working in solar.

Read on . . .

Cons

First you have to strip away the feel good gloss and see what the industry is really all about - making money in a Wall St. kind of way, with all the associated thrills, ills and obfuscations - Solar Leases, PPAs, Solar Loans.

So far SolarCity, Sunngevity and to a certain extent, SunPower have failed the "making money part".

So how do you make money in the solar industry if you're SolarCity or Sungevity, or Vernego, or Sungate, or RealGoods Solar or . . . the list goes on and on.

The only chance you have is to pay exceeding low wages for non sales positions, or dangle the carrot to those sales personnel who think they can make a six figure salary with relative ease (50 hr work week, which should be the minimum for any sales position that has potential).

Now, please note this does not include c-level executives because that's the way capitalism works!

And capitalism is about making money, and more money and more money. And Solar power is about being green, saving the planet and feeling good about one's lower monthly electric bill.

Unfortunately, when you put the two together, people get burned. You just have to read a few of Solarcity's GlassDoor reviews to feel the ill will towards the company.

After reading most of the SolarCity review, I found they fell into four categories:

1. A certain number of reviews just seems to be made up to compensate for the 1 star reviews. These reviews seem to be short, vague and generated by someone who needs to take a course in creative writing. If you're going to make up a review, put some meat into it!

Here's an example: I love working at Solarcity because I get to experience the interaction between high level finance, construction, logistics and public policy while helping to build America's clean tech infrastructure . . . one roof at a time!

Oh, sign me up!!

2. People who have just gotten their first job and are just elated to be employed, and even more elated to be saving the planet.

3. People who took the solar hook, bait line and sinker, and quickly found out they're working at a glorified roofing company cloaked in the veil of a feel good green company.

4. Sales folks who realized that selling solar in a tough business. And even tougher once you realize the touted offerings (no down solar leases/ppa) are typically the worst investment for the residential homeowner.

So as the title of my post states:

Don't Drink The Kool Aid Until You Know How It's Made!

And more importantly, do your due diligence before applying/accepting a job.

Best,

Big Volt

Advice to Management

One word . . . Altruism!

"aggresive culture"

Current Employee - PV Designer in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - PV Designer in Foster City, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Colleagues are very friendly and professional

Cons

work hours are long in order to finish the overloaded jobs and low pay

"The future of energy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people and great management. SolarCity allows you do be proud of what you do. There's nothing better than helping people use clean renewable solar power and save money by doing so. It's truly a win-win for the company and the customer and something you can feel really proud of.

Cons

Long hours, but that comes with any job these days

Advice to Management

Keep striving to make clean renewable energy available to more home owners. Publicize our environmental achievements.

11. "Come on board!"

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Stable company for someone who is interested in long term growth
    -Brilliant uppermanagement
    -Lots of room for upward mobility within the company

Cons

-Still growing and must be able to adapt to changes

Showing 12 of 2,112 reviews