SolarCity Operations Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
SolarCity CEO & Co-Founder Lyndon Rive
Lyndon Rive

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We're changing the world one rooftop at a time (in 60 reviews)

• Good pay; Great People; Amazing Mission - this is a really great company to work for if you love Elon this is the place for you (in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance even though this is what they preach (in 101 reviews)

• Work long hours out of necessity to meet quota (sometimes 70 or 80 hour weeks) (in 73 reviews)

1. "SolarCoaster"

Current Employee - Commercial Operations Manager in Albany, NY
    Current Employee - Commercial Operations Manager in Albany, NY

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work with great people. Awesome team environment.

Cons

Work up to 7 days a week.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

2. "Regional Operations Manager"

Former Employee - Regional Operations Manager in San Tan Valley, AZ
    Former Employee - Regional Operations Manager in San Tan Valley, AZ

I worked at SolarCity (More than 5 years)

Pros

.Consistent work and stability with benefits.

Cons

Demand too much of my time, to a point. where I had none for my family

3. "open"

Former Employee - Assistant Regional Operations Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Assistant Regional Operations Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at SolarCity (More than a year)

Pros

The training and learning experience.

Cons

Company suspended operations in Nevada.

Advice to Management

I am a very hard worker, and quick learner. Very dependable and reliable.

4. "Regional Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Regional Operations Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Operations Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Change the world, change your future. Join with a supportive management and a motivated workforce to make a difference in the future of the planet.

Cons

If you are not willing to work long and hard to achieve your goals, apply elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Keep the pedal down!

5. "Once in a lifetime Company"

Current Employee - Regional Operations Manager

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is one of the most exciting organizations that i have ever been around. There are talented and motivated people at every level and because all employees are granted stock options, there are few problems with people working here for the wrong reason. Almost every employee is bonus-ed as well, so top performers succeed and push the business. The business model is absolutely genius and the company is still just a baby compared to where it will be in the next 5, 10 and 20 years. I just completed my year mark here, and my favorite thing about the company is the constant change. In order to be truly innovative and change the world, it requires the whole company to be very flexible. The company has hired almost 5000 employees this year, but still feels like a small company because of its ability to change and grow quickly.

Cons

It is not a place for you if you don't like change, growth and being pushed to reach your maximum potential. This is not a place to just collect a pay check. You will have to give 100% when working, or you will not make it. It is an organization full of A players- if that is intimidating or scary, this is not the place for you,

"Opportunity of a Lifetime!"

Current Employee - Regional Operations Manager

I have been working at SolarCity full-time

Pros

Rapid growth gives opportunity for advancement. Fulfilling and validating. SolarCity provides jobs for literally thousands of friendly coworkers, good for the environment, saves people money, managers that care about their employees.

Cons

tends to feel a little corporate from time to time, just because of the sheer number of employees. Very fast paced as we claw for market share, sometimes feels a little too fast.

Advice to Management

Let's take over the world.

"Fast paced hard work"

Former Employee - Energy Efficiency Regional Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Energy Efficiency Regional Operations Manager

I worked at SolarCity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A very well managed company with plenty of opportunity to learn and grow if you are a very hard working, workaholic type person and can maintain a positive, can do attitude regardless of whatever curveballs are thrown your way. The company's commitment to safety is first class and appreciated by all.

Cons

The drive for perfection and improvement is relentless. Results that earn you a bonus and an excellent review one year could be deemed inadequate and get your fired next year. Complacency is not tolerated. Nothing is really ever good enough. This is understandable in a highly competitive business. But it stresses employees to the max and makes it hard to maintain morale. Expect to work long hours and forget about being able to take any time off and don't get sick. The term "work life balance" is openly mocked by management. You are expected to make the company your first priority and any family obligations a distant second.

Advice to Management

Get more ahead of the curve in working smarter rather than making people work harder. Make sure people aren't pushed so hard they burn out.

8. "Best company gone IPO I've worked for"

Former Employee - Energy Efficiency Regional Operations Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Energy Efficiency Regional Operations Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are changing the way electricity is generated in ways that cannot be put into words. These folks are visionary and will make the world a better place.

Cons

In the process of building an new industry things change fast, so if you don't like fast paced, this is not for you.

Advice to Management

Better communication, between the teams and mostly to the clients. I think a single point of contact for a customer is a must.