SolarCity Reviews | Glassdoor

SolarCity CEO & Co-Founder Lyndon Rive
Lyndon Rive
1,481 Ratings

2,121 Employee Reviews

Pros
  • We're changing the world one rooftop at a time (in 58 reviews)

• Good pay; Great People; Amazing Mission - this is a really great company to work for if you love Elon this is the place for you (in 91 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance even though this is what they preach (in 93 reviews)

• Sometime long hours but to be the best have to put in time (in 72 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Making the World a Better Place"

Former Employee - Field Energy Specialist in Milpitas, CA
    Former Employee - Field Energy Specialist in Milpitas, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The ethos is unparalleled -- employees are united by a conviction that what they are doing really matters. It’s unfortunate that so few companies have set their sights on enacting meaningful change for the world.

Cons

The public lacks knowledge about solar and the importance of reducing reliance on fossil fuels. This makes it difficult to help potential customers understand why solar is important.

Advice to Management

Focus on helping the front lines (Field Energy Specialists, Field Energy Consultants) to become better acquainted with and more proficient in articulating not only the economic rationale for adopting solar but also the importance for ensuring the continuity of the human race.

2. "Sight surveyor"

Current Employee - Sight Surveyor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Sight Surveyor in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-great people to work with
    - good positive environment
    -Great company mission
    -the work is pretty easy
    -a stock program
    - will teach you if your willing to learn

Cons

-no match on 401k
    -I was totally mislead about the pay. I was told that the that it was a $15 an hour or $70 per house which ever was more which is true. But they said I would work 5 days a week and you were required to survey a minimum of 3 houses a day and would be making 55k-70k a year (because of the bonus structure). This ended up being completely false. After my training they reduced us to 4 days a week and could only submit or jobs for 3 days a week most of the time and averaged 2 houses a day. Making it practically impossible to make bonus pay. I will be lucky if I clear 32k this year if I don't work over time doing other tasks.
    -with that being said I still love the work environment and the people are great and will continue to work there and work my way up

Advice to Management

-management is pritty good but is lazy at times

3. "Installer"

Former Employee - Installer in Elmsford, NY
    Former Employee - Installer in Elmsford, NY

I worked at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hard Good Work long days

Cons

No Work Life Balance stressful

5. "great clean tech company going through a few integration bumps"

Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

mission-driven, collaborative culture, great people who truly want to do the right thing

Cons

It's a growing company that's cash-strapped...benefits and perks are skinny

Advice to Management

ensure terrific integration with Tesla...huge opportunity in term of economies of skill

6. "Site Surveyor / Installer III"

Former Employee - Installer in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Installer in Burlington, VT

I worked at SolarCity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great teammates, open door communication, high energy, consistent job training, opportunity to grow, travel opportunities, safety focus, performance based compensation/base hourly.

Cons

work flow varies but my management did a great job at moving people to where they were needed, not for people who don't can't tolerate hard work / cold weather

Advice to Management

Keep promoting people based on their communication skills and feedback from other employees.

7. "Company's misson"

Former Employee - FFES in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - FFES in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company, in its core cares for the environment, and came about to make a difference, and did, came with innovative financing solutions, high quality installation and equipment, and led the market for many years, with a goal to reach million roofs, now as part of Tesla, I hove it will help the solar industry as a whole to get to the next level, got to do mostly with historic monopolist, and old world view by the utility and energy sectors. SolarCity put the most funds into lobbying the industry intrests, and environmental interests.

Cons

The Company was under restructure, and frequent changes to different directions on a weekly basis, but I believe it would come out better.

8. "Sr. Field Energy Consultant"

Former Employee - Senior Energy Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Energy Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at SolarCity (More than 3 years)

Pros

company car, company leads, great co-workers

Cons

Company disregarded input form long-time employees; reduced commision structure, increased metrics to quota requirements - often things beyond direct control of sales consultants, lots of time spent putting out fires of other's doing, high company cancellation rate, no longer competitive in pricing and in base pay. SolarCity used to be a great place to work - Now just disheartening.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people and respect your workforce. Take good care of the people that take care of your customers. do not penalize your consultants by enforcing quota when they take sick/vacation time.

9. "Great place but difficult industry"

Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Boston, MA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, great culture and mission, and great people make the job awesome. Working outside and lots of independence are the cherrys on top of the best parts

Cons

selling solar isnt for everyone, takes a tough and smart mindset that doesnt give up after 5 people telling you no. If you can adapt and sell tho it is a great job if you put in the work

Advice to Management

give better and clearer information from the get go when big changes are implememented. Lots of confusion with sudden changes that can come with being in such a rapidly growing industry.

10. "Direct sales"

Current Employee - Solar Energy Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Solar Energy Consultant in Denver, CO

I have been working at SolarCity (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, good management, best company in industry

Cons

no salary, things change often, quota

Advice to Management

think about employees more, and let employees know whats going on quicker instead of springing things on people day of.

11. "Solarcoaster"

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great to work for a mission-driven company. You will meet some of the most passionate and interesting folks around, and people are very quick to help and encourage.

When it goes well, it has really well. There's is immense satisfaction in seeing the panels go up on the roof and doing bill reviews with customers, then getting the referrals flowing. You truly have a chance to build your own business.

Management is intense but focusing on results is a good motivator - FECs are measured on numerous metrics and you have access to all of them, which makes monitoring your performance interesting.

It's fun and challenging to get your energy high and inspire folks, whether they have no idea about solar or if they've just been looking for the right fit, to take the step.

The experience gained by controlling your schedule, running your own little franchise, is amazing and will serve you well in future endeavors.

Also nice to get the company car and gas.

Cons

One's experience will depend a lot upon your direct manager - some are very hands on, some are laissez faire; some are sales rep who have been promoted, some are professional managers; all have their own style and being with someone who doesn't mesh with you will affect a lot.

Dealing with ridiculous people - no shows, postponements, cancellations, etc. Things got a lot better with the penalty to cancel but is is extremely disheartening when someone with whom you bonded enough for them to sign up cancels - whether it's because they got a bad impression from a friend or family member, or because they site surveyor damaged their property, or just because the high wore off and they changed their mind. People are wild, and you are subject to their whims as a FEC.

This problem is exacerbated by the leads sent by the company, often by people whose thought process is utterly bewildering when it comes to shading, reading decision makers, etc.

Furthermore, you'll be expected to work in the Home Depot to generate leads, which has turned many off including me.

Management's focus on numbers can get numbing, and like most sales organizations it's cutthroat when you don't hit quota. It can suck to see people phase someone out as they've lost their momentum.

Difficult to see pathway to promotion, particularly with the Tesla merger things are pretty on pause for now.

Advice to Management

Treat people with compassion - run towards those who are really down with the cause when they have down months. Also, more contact with fellow ECs is key.

Showing 2,121 of 2,145 reviews