SolarCity Reviews | Glassdoor

Lyndon Rive
1,518 Ratings

2,171 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We're changing the world one rooftop at a time (in 59 reviews)

• Good pay; Great People; Amazing Mission - this is a really great company to work for if you love Elon this is the place for you (in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance even though this is what they preach (in 99 reviews)

• Sometime long hours but to be the best have to put in time (in 73 reviews)

1. "Solar coaster"

Current Employee - Field Energy Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Field Energy Specialist in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Independence from having a boss micro manage you. Your pay is a result of how good you are at your job

Cons

Quota can be a challenge. Outside factors out of your control can affect how many deals you are able to close

"Field Energy Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Martinez, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Martinez, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great vision to save the planet. Strong company with great product.

Cons

Terrible management. Quotas based on jobs sold and not jobs installed. Training used to be great but now it's mediocre at best and they teach a canned sales pitch.

Advice to Management

Employees are people with emotions and not just numbers on paper. If relationships amongst the management and employees were better, then sales/installs would also get better.

"Good purpose, bad timing"

Former Employee - Field Energy Specialist in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Field Energy Specialist in Baltimore, MD

I worked at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Helping the planet become a better place

Cons

Not enough extensive training. Meetings were useless. Wasn't given much direction. High turnover

"Once a fun place to work turned nightmare"

Former Employee - Installation Scheduler in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Installation Scheduler in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at SolarCity full-time

Pros

Good benefits
    Flexible schedule
    Set hours

Cons

TERRIBLE management
    High turnover
    Unrealistic quotas
    Micromanage everything, even bathroom breaks

Stay away from this department, it went from okay, to bad, to worse over the years

"Field Energy Consultant"

Former Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Semi Autonomous work environment. Decent base pay, uncapped commissions. Company Car, Gas card. If you're lucky to get a good manager/good team, you'll learn a lot. When I started, it was wide open, easy, fun and everyone was making good money. Almost like a dream. Good work/life balance when I first started. A lot of passionate people still there believing in the cause for cleaner energy. The managers I've had were far better than I could have hoped for, but I've seen more than a few that needed the boot.

Cons

Since Tesla acquisition, work/life balance is out of whack. No longer a 'Sales' organization. The shift is now more to brand integrity than on convincing and persuading homeowners on going solar. Comp plan went from simple to complex(NEVER a good sign for a sales rep, no matter management tries to spin it). Now commission payouts are determined by how many you can get installed in a month, and payouts are systems already installed for the month are less if you miss month installation goal(installations are contingent on weather, crew capacities, scheduling/customer scheduling conflicts, PTO issuance = control factor is LIMITED and FEC's are on the hook for it all). Sales cycle are an average of 30-45 days long, and that's if you know how to process your deals from start to finish, and customers are committed and schedule without any issues. Cycles can be as long as 90 to 120 days or more, depending on the aforementioned variables. East Coast homeowner mindset is unlike West Coast, executive leadership out West doesn't appear to be aware of this. Restricted to getting leads from home Pod (designated store generated leads), limiting areas with larger roofs (meaning larger commissions), also limits area where you can self gen and/or get referrals. Industry has matured a bit. Lowest hanging fruit has already been picked so closing requires far more effort, and that means more customers are apt to ghosting you once they've signed up just to get you out of the home. (It's also not a good sign when vets start to reminisce about the good ol' days instead of being fired up on the fun in front of them). No longer can reps canvass door to door, big hurt on surrounding homes with installations. Benefits packages are fair but have high deductibles.

Advice to Management

Solar in the East isn't the same as out West, and it takes more to sell here. The market of early adopters may have already peaked and restricting sales practices and complicating the commission structure really isn't the best strategy if you want to increase market penetration.

"Excellent job!...for about a year."

Former Employee - FES in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - FES in Portland, OR

I worked at SolarCity (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay for relatively easy work
    benefits
    co workers tend to be like minded people.
    Super lax work environment

Cons

Stressful at times
    Standing and Smiling all day
    mentally exhausting
    Sometimes I WANTED my manager to be there to help me out but he was always busy.

Advice to Management

Stop pitting you team against each other. I don't care that Jose got 3 times the amount of opps I got last week. Create an environment where team work is encouraged and rewarded.

"High Pressure"

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Beltsville, MD
    Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Beltsville, MD

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good income potential, company car provided

Cons

Unreasonable quotas, quotas always changing, no work life balance, expected to work every day and be avaialble from 8am-8pm

8. "FEC"

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Pine Brook, NJ
    Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Pine Brook, NJ

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company car and phone allowance, leads are given to you after 3rd month.

Cons

Poor Management, no leads are given to you your first month after training which leads you into a bad start. Hard to land on your feet your next month on quota.

9. "Top Notch Company To Work For"

Current Employee - Field Energy Specialist in Lancaster, PA
    Current Employee - Field Energy Specialist in Lancaster, PA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working for SolarCity so far has been a terrific experience! I would say the best Pros for the company is the management. I have a awesome manager who truly does care about his team. Secondly, they give you the best available training to help you succeed in the field, and if you ever need help, their is always someone to help you out. They also give you the opportunity to grow with the company to different departments.

Cons

I would say the only Con for the job is not having weekends off.

"Solar Energy Consultant"

Former Employee - Solar Energy Consultant in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Solar Energy Consultant in Lancaster, PA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay potential could be very lucrative. I was able to set my own schedule. You get paid what you're worth. The harder you work, the more you got paid. Health care was part of the benefits.

Cons

The major con that we had was that the entire direct sellers were let go. Due to realignment of SolarCity and Tesla, approximately 1200 people were let go.
    Upper management was deceiving by talking about letting the other Energy Consultants go due to major costs on a monthly basis.

Advice to Management

Best of luck to them all

Showing 2,171 of 2,194 reviews