SolarCity Reviews | Glassdoor

4.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SolarCity CEO & Co-Founder Lyndon Rive
Lyndon Rive

Pros
  • We're changing the world one rooftop at a time (in 59 reviews)

• Good pay; Great People; Amazing Mission - this is a really great company to work for if you love Elon this is the place for you (in 92 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance even though this is what they preach (in 97 reviews)

• Sometime long hours but to be the best have to put in time (in 73 reviews)

"Amazing company to work for!!!"

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Cranbury, NJ
    Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Cranbury, NJ

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SolarCity is a fast paced and incredible company to work for. I've been in many sales jobs and this is the first time in my career I enjoy going to work on a daily basis. Excellant management from top to bottom. You are given all the tools to succeed and are rewarded handsomely for it. I have found the company that I will retire from (hopefully, many years from now!).

Cons

If you're not willing to work hard, this is not the company for you.

Advice to Management

Keep up the amazing work changing the world!

"SolarCity is a company with an optimistic future and lots of room to better itself."

Current Employee - Operations in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Operations in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very talented and well connected executives. Benefits are good. Stock options are especially lucrative for those who have been working for the company since before the IPO. But either way, its nice knowing that everyone is a part owner in the company. Expect to work side by side with positive people who enjoy their jobs. SolarCity is a good opportunity to learn the ins and outs of the solar industry.

The company does a good job of promoting from within, while at the same time bringing in outside talent when necessary.

Cons

Right now, middle management could be stronger. SolarCity grows very rapidly and is forced to hire very quickly. Unfortunately, with the current model, they can not afford to be a company that's slow to hire and quick to fire. At times, the company has no choice but to hire or promote someone that is not quite qualified for the job yet.

Advice to Management

We need to stress quality in every position from sales to install, not just speed. The operation moves fast and efficiently, thats great. The problem is that employees are making small mistakes that collectively cost the company a lot of money to fix. The operation is also designed so that employee #2 ends up fixing employee #1's mistakes. Employee #1 may be unaware that they ever make a mistake in the first place, and so is unable to learn from the error. A dedicated and detail oriented quality control manager in each office would pay for itself many times over.

Operating costs are through the roof. Local management needs to do something to curtail overtime hours and wasted materials. If SolarCity wants to survive without incentives, they won't be able to afford to be paying overtime, simple as that. Truth is, not very much is accomplished in the 9th or 10th hour of the work day anyways. Send people home, let them rest and spend time with their families. They will be more effective tomorrow. We have proved that we can grow at an outrageous pace, now lets show the skeptics that we can make a profit.

"This is an amazing company and has been an incrediable ride."

Current Employee - Field Energey Consultant in Fresno, CA
    Current Employee - Field Energey Consultant in Fresno, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Exciting work , helping people and the world. Great compensation and advancement for those that want it and are willing to work ofr it.

Cons

It is intense, demanding, everchanging and evolving . You need to be able to go with the flow.
    Can be long hours and weeks, but where else can you write your own pay check.

Advice to Management

While working hard is all well and good, allowances should be set up to allow for vac. and time off without penaltys or ridacule.

"You can't get rid of me I'm working hard to stay!!!"

Current Employee - Crew Lead in Cranbury, NJ
    Current Employee - Crew Lead in Cranbury, NJ

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very culture friendly, cherish the fact that promotions are from within-: from Crew Leads to ROM's one just need the proper work ethic coupled with the right workplace character, a lot of work,

Cons

bundle up winter is coming!!!

Advice to Management

I'm all about helping the small man however from a business point of view what is best for the company is always first. In this weeks Team meeting I saw/heard where SolarCity will be donating a PV Solar system to selected Schools from any third world Country around the world "kudos to you SolarCity" now let me use this medium to throw my selection in the box (Mitchell's Hill Jr. High Sch. from Mitchells Hill, Clarendon Jamaica. btw maybe in the next quarterly or monthly prize running instead of winning a T-shirt an Employee/installer can win a small PV Solar System for his/her home. just a thought. keep the consistency coming!!!

"Believe in a Better Way and Career"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Granite Bay, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Granite Bay, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a special time in the worlds history. If you want to be a part of something huge look here!

Cons

If you don't like upward mobility and hard work then stay away.

Advice to Management

Listen to the boots on the ground we do a good job, but don't stop listening, improve and adapt.

"It has been a great experience working for SolarCity"

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great salary, awesome commission structure, and they offer fantastic benefits. So far I have worked forSolarCity for about 5 months now and I have never worked for a company as exciting and life changing as this company. Not only does SolarCity help our country here but it is also helping third world countries.

Cons

There are no downsides when you are passionate of what you do. If you like to work and you want to be compensated for your hard work this is the place to be. There is no negative when you are helping earth be a better tomorrow for our future generations.

Advice to Management

My advice to management would be that we need to continue expanding to others stores where we can meet more people. It would be great if we can also expand to other states.

"Exciting and at the same time Volitile"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in San Mateo, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great product
    -Disruptive technology
    -Feels good to help the environment
    -Great coworkers
    -Best software being used in the industry
    -Company is probably the best positioned company in the industry to last. The company is making strong efforts to make sure we can

Cons

-Relatively low pay for the work and for the industry
    -Most poeple feel that the pay scale is very top heavy on the executive level. I'm not talking about CEO level, but all the others.
    -There are so many new Directors, and RVP's and Area managers, it is impossible to keep track of the organization. And from the top view, this is probably fine. But for the underlings, it's not comforting to not know who you are actually working for.
    -The office is pretty drab. This is not your ping pong, free snacks and Odwala company. This is come in to work, sit in a cubicle and grind.
    -No benefits. Seriously, the benefits are really weak. In order to stay a lean, they have trimmed off all the fat. Can we get a gym discount??? Anything?
    -Jobs are cancelled if they aren't cookie cutter. We seem to start ideas and team and change them without giving them the full support necessary.
    -The company will change direction of the company on a dime. This leaves employees out in the cold many times.

"Great if your new to sales and dont have to feed a family"

Former Employee - Senior Inside Energy Consultant in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Inside Energy Consultant in Sacramento, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They like to think it is a fun place to work.

Cons

In my 10 years of sales experience I have never been asked to work that hard for he amount of money they pay you. In the interview they will sell you on how great the company is and how reps here make over $100k a year. Which is not the case an average rep there makes $40k a year if you make it to a year. There is a very high turn over. The product they want you to sell is most expensive in the industry and is not even close to the best. They will want you to drink the company juice and get of the "we are the best ship", but its smoke and mirrors. It is a 2 week training for a reason, if you actually learned about the products and what the competition is selling you will have a hard time selling this product to your friends and family. If this is your first sales gig or you only option for employment do it till you find something better, but this is not a company that you can build a career with. Good luck

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about growing the business as fast as possible and focus on running the best solar company possible. rapid growth + poorly ran = bubble

"A short review on the field energy advisor position"

Current Employee - Field Energy Advisor in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Field Energy Advisor in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Flagship for nation's largest solar installer, perks (e.g. Ultrabook, smartphone, etc.), company services many regions across the U.S., medical benefits, dental and vision, support alternative energy, great position for income-driven individuals

Cons

Highly stressful work environment, meeting quotas may require 60+ hours a week (including weekends and holidays), closed deals dependent on sales consignment, commission payment takes up to 6 weeks to clear, low retention rate, growth opportunities direct only in sales and management

Advice to Management

Set better market metrics for advisor placement, create more structured scheduling for sales team, plan better team meetings, less micro-management, less emphasis on numbers and more on customer relationship

"Good Growing company."

Current Employee - Junior PV Installer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Junior PV Installer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Lot's of OT, lot's of work.

Cons

not moving up as fast as promised upon hire.

Advice to Management

Keep it up nice work !!