SolarCity Reviews | Glassdoor

2,169 reviews

Full-timePart-time

2,169 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • We're changing the world one rooftop at a time (in 59 reviews)

• Good pay; Great People; Amazing Mission - this is a really great company to work for if you love Elon this is the place for you (in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance even though this is what they preach (in 99 reviews)

• Sometime long hours but to be the best have to put in time (in 73 reviews)

1. "Thankful"

Current Employee - Construction Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Construction Project Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am proud to be part of the SolarCity family. Every year this teams learns and grows in a positive direction that is truly changing the world.

Cons

It takes some time to learn the family/work balance. There is enough opportunities and work that can keep you anchored at work for most of the day if you allow it to.

Advice to Management

Provide more visibility and oppurtiny for input on the integration of Tesla and SolarCity.

"Terrible opportunity!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no current pros to this company.

Cons

What started as a job with unlimited earning opportunity quickly turned into a mis managed nightmare. If you're not buddy buddy with the manager cliques you're never going to get anywhere. Now that Tesla had bought them out, they have no intention on keeping panel pay.
    If you want to work your butt off 50 to 60 hours a week for 600 to 700 dollars this is your place to work.

Advice to Management

Fire them all.

3. "Was great most of the time get used to a lot of secrets so much for transparency that they always harp on."

Former Employee - Crew Lead in Chico, CA
    Former Employee - Crew Lead in Chico, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, good pay, learned a lot very fast paced. Good training programs, incentives are good lots of overtime. Safety is a priority I always felt I had the right equipment to get a job done safely

Cons

Long hours stringent deadlines and always low manpower for given jobs. Often the right hand doesn't know what the left is doing at the same time.

Advice to Management

You want quality? You want safety? Well how about giving the installers enough time to actually do everything properly. We want the same thing too. I've seen a lot of people let go because of downsizes and reasons that are questionable at best

"Field Energy Consultant"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time

Pros

None, stay away. Company is on life support. I have never seen a company this mismanaged.

Cons

Company is in shambles and could have been great but grew way to fast and put a lot the of unqualified people in charge.

Advice to Management

Strip the company down to bare bones. Close all unprofitable and poorly customer service rated warehouses and focus on the brand, which is now Tesla.

"Not a chance this company will be around in 5 years"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Doing good for the community and what not.

Cons

Charge more for the product. Use cheaper product than everyone else. Still can't make a profit. Why? So many managers making too much money.

Very much a cult like atmosphere. Think Wolf of Wall Street meets Heaven's Gate.

Advice to Management

Reward your revenue generators. Don't overpay your managers.

6. "Sight surveyor"

Current Employee - Sight Surveyor in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Sight Surveyor in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-great people to work with
    - good positive environment
    -Great company mission
    -the work is pretty easy
    -a stock program
    - will teach you if your willing to learn

Cons

-no match on 401k
    -I was totally mislead about the pay. I was told that the that it was a $15 an hour or $70 per house which ever was more which is true. But they said I would work 5 days a week and you were required to survey a minimum of 3 houses a day and would be making 55k-70k a year (because of the bonus structure). This ended up being completely false. After my training they reduced us to 4 days a week and could only submit or jobs for 3 days a week most of the time and averaged 2 houses a day. Making it practically impossible to make bonus pay. I will be lucky if I clear 32k this year if I don't work over time doing other tasks.
    -with that being said I still love the work environment and the people are great and will continue to work there and work my way up

Advice to Management

-management is pritty good but is lazy at times

"Don't waste your time unless it is your first job ever"

Former Employee - Field Energy Specialist in Orange, CA
    Former Employee - Field Energy Specialist in Orange, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You're your own boss! Possible overtime. Famous brand. Nice people.

Cons

Low pay, no room for growth. This is ok job to have if you have no experience or as a temp job. Basically what you do for 8+ hrs is hanging in a home depot, trying to generate leads but the problem is that people have no interest! In order to earn your commissions you have to be super energetic and work hard every shift! But compare to the product's price you get nothing and commissions are super low! ( it is easier to find a second job rather than earn those commissions lol ) . Also, their training is just " the name" . they don't teach you anything, you gotta figure it out yourself or have some past experience in sales in order to be able to even approach people and make them listen to you. The only thing that i actually liked about the company are the people ( employees ) the rest is a joke. It is better go to work for Macy's, less stress, less pressure. I can't call this company as been a professional corporation or into professional sales.

Advice to Management

Don't fool the people with opportunities that don't even exists. If you really want to be successful in sales raise the commissions! Do not take away the money from closed deals even if the quota was below the average. It is unfair! People work hard to find those clients. Do real training!!!! Teach employees how to communicate with consumers, how to approach them, grab attention and etc. It is not a cold calling! You can't grab someone's attention by talking as a robot. Spend some money on promotional materials!!! Create some "deals" for consumers.

8. "Installer"

Former Employee - Installer in Elmsford, NY
    Former Employee - Installer in Elmsford, NY

I worked at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hard Good Work long days

Cons

No Work Life Balance stressful

9. "great clean tech company going through a few integration bumps"

Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

mission-driven, collaborative culture, great people who truly want to do the right thing

Cons

It's a growing company that's cash-strapped...benefits and perks are skinny

Advice to Management

ensure terrific integration with Tesla...huge opportunity in term of economies of skill

10. "Site Surveyor / Installer III"

Former Employee - Installer in Burlington, VT
    Former Employee - Installer in Burlington, VT

I worked at SolarCity full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great teammates, open door communication, high energy, consistent job training, opportunity to grow, travel opportunities, safety focus, performance based compensation/base hourly.

Cons

work flow varies but my management did a great job at moving people to where they were needed, not for people who don't can't tolerate hard work / cold weather

Advice to Management

Keep promoting people based on their communication skills and feedback from other employees.

Showing 2,169 of 2,193 reviews