SolarCity Reviews in Stockton, CA | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SolarCity CEO & Co-Founder Lyndon Rive
Lyndon Rive

Pros
  • We're changing the world one rooftop at a time (in 58 reviews)

• Good pay; Great People; Amazing Mission - this is a really great company to work for if you love Elon this is the place for you (in 90 reviews)

Cons
  • There is no work life balance even though this is what they preach (in 92 reviews)

• Sometime long hours but to be the best have to put in time (in 72 reviews)

1. "Great Comany!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Stockton, CA

Pros

Good benefits, make as much as you're willing to work

Cons

Sales quotas are demanding regardless of season

"Field Energy Consultant"

Former Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Stockton, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The perception that Tesla/SolarCity is the biggest and the best

Cons

HORRIBLE management, HORRIBLE Pay, Dishonest Company, Treat their people like dirt!

Advice to Management

Before you have a massive class action law suit, you better start treating people better. Get rid of the "good ole boys", get rid of all the layers and layers of management...

"Neutral"

Former Employee - Site Surveyor in Stockton, CA
    Former Employee - Site Surveyor in Stockton, CA

I worked at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Can really make good money if you work hard. $70 bonus per job. No mirco-managers. Take your work car home. Basically make your own daily schedule.

Cons

Work depends on sales, can be slow at times. Constantly throwing surveyors under the bus. Communication is lacking throughout the company.

Advice to Management

Communication is key.

"After a year"

Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Field Energy Consultant in Stockton, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, company car, large company,

Cons

Demanding, weak management, manage by fear & intimidation, massive hours commitment

Advice to Management

When people have to work such excessive hours to meet your unrealistic numbers, they leave for greener pastures

6. "Field Energy Specialist (FES)"

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

SolarCity is on a mission to save the world by changing the way people think about and use energy. It's a mission I can personally be proud of and commit to. Their ethics are completely in line with my own, making it easy to feel good about what I do. Their training and tools are first rate. Their commitment to my success is both reassuring and motivating. The company is growing so fast that opportunities for advancement abound. Benefits are comprehensive and competitive.

Cons

Because the company is growing so fast they sometimes hire people who don't get it (they try very hard not to but some slip through). Working with people who don't have a strong work ethic, the ability to manage themselves or learn from their mistakes is frustrating. People like that can bring the team down or even lead a well-intentioned but weak employee down the wrong path. The company works hard to help as many as possible change course and I admire them for that, but working with lazy, entitled people gets old fast. My advice is that if you aren't willing to learn, adapt, grow, and work hard, don't apply. This is not a company for lazy people.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your'e doing. I couldn't ask for a better place to work and grow my career.

7. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Installer in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Installer in Stockton, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really great pay. Hard work that feels good to do. Panel bonus is awesome. Can't make thousands a week. Cool people and great management.

Cons

Can't be a sissy to work here. It's hard work and long days. Not much bad things to say. Just be ready to work hard here.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

"Its Without A Doubt, The Best Company Thats In The Best Industry For The Future."

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a Guarantee! We make our money because the Sun. when was the last time the Sun didn't rise..? EXACTLY. Need more, okay heres a few
    Solar is the wave of the future. Just like cell phones and computers were back when they were first introduced. If you jumped on the cell phone CPU wave you're probably filthy rich, or at least financially secure. Solar is a wave just like that and Solar City is the Apple/Android or Microsoft of the Solar Industry. Doesn't matter if you are the number one company on the planet, there's going to be negitives & bad reviews. People it just comes with the territory; especially a multi billion dollar corporation thats dealing with millions of people. Mom & Pop places with incredibly low volume, that have an A+ record, they're going to have bad reviews even, it's inevitable. That's expected. Thats people.
     ● Pay is great. Especially great because, you don't need a college education in a lot of cases.
    ● You are rewarded on your performance NOT because it's that time or what the calendar says.
    ● No one micromanages you.
    ● On limited resources via - online training or videos, pdf's, ect.
    ● In Sales the sky's the limit when it comes to making money, you wanna make more.. put in more hours.. do marketing, networking, ect.
    ● People are Amazing.
    ● Flexible Schedules
    ● My Manager is the best manager I've ever worked for.
    ● Available company vehicals
    ● Expense almost everything on Companys Dime.
    ● We don't BS our customers so they sign up.
    ● Unlimited Help with anything... IF YOU ASK.
    ● Transfer to different wear houses if you have a geographical change.
    ● Benifits. Vacation pay. Sick pay. Bereavement. Maternity leave. Ect.

So to all the SC employees whether former, and especially the current ones who have one or two things they don't like about the company and use it to negatively impact the entire company as a whole, I say to you "I feel
    Sorry for you that since every one of your expectations or demands went unmet you very criticized SC all togther." I mean it's not like SC is on the list of 'Best places to work' or anything.
     And to those who still work for Solar City that give it a thumbs down and have negative things to say about the company, rather than having constructive criticism I say "Why are you still employed there then? Why aren't you working at the cimpany that gives you exactly what you want?" I encourage you to stay, but please be more professional.

Cons

● Communication - Information can get blurry getting through the long chain of command.
    ● Sometimes hires people fresh of the street, even though people have been promoted and a are just waiting for a slot. ( If in companies best interest I understand why this would happen)
    ● Management's plate is maybe a little to full which causes availability to be limited. (Causes to rely on less knowledgeable sources)
    ● Company growth too rapid. (Causes a domino effect of issues that trickle down & affects almost all employees which affects the customers which impacts reputation and reviews.
    ● Recent Salary Changes and Benifit packages cut down.
    ● If Wallstreet falls SC falls. If Investors back out without another to replace it SC falls.
    ● Investors hold the cards.

Over all nothing that any other corporation isn't or hasn't gone through, I mean my dad still works for Federal Express. He is about to retire in a few years. His benefits, 401k, excetera used to be way better, those things have been cut down not increased like you'd think. 25 years for a reputable company such as FedEx and my new hire Benifit package is more handsome than his is today.
    SolarCity has flaws like any other company but even with them, I'd never leave. It is still one of the top companies, still future focused, still an industry in wave of our future. Solar is still in its infancy and Solar City continues to prove why they're one of if not the best around and continues to show abundant potential for in ovation and what's to come ahead. Theyre hungry, they're proficient, intelligent, they stand out among the competition, they set goals, they smash those goals, always encouraging, constantly moving forward, consistantly br ra king company records, and rapidly growing and with showing no signs of slowing down. It's no a race it's a marathon and they've set the pace, and since they're not trying to one up the competition and they're focused on personal company goals and visions, non of the others can keep up with pace. I feel honored that with no college education or sales experience and just based off of references I was given a shot and given this opportunity to be a part of something great. Something other than just money. I love what I do and I love that I do it. It's called work, but it sure doesn't feel like it sometimes.

Advice to Management

Don't overshoot numbers to the investors. Set barely obtainable goals and push like hell to exceed them.
    Too rapid of company expansion has almost never paid off in the end unless you got out before the collapse.
    Find a different ways to make the investors comfortable instead of spreading and thining things out in the company.
    Better/ more detailed training. Without raising or cutting costs. Longer if needed. Dont compromise quality or the intensity. Better training = better employees = better results= faster production, quicker numbers achieved w/o compromise. Negitive isn't only thing that rolls down hill. So does positive, quality, confidence, assurance, employees get trained that way then they're that way in the field which inevitably gets passed on to the customers cause they see/feel it.
    You all are amazing at what you do. Thank you for all the efforts.

SolarCity Response

Aug 25, 2014 – SolarCity Recruiting

Wow, thank you for taking the time to thoroughly go over what you like about SolarCity and what we can improve on. We truly appreciate your hard work and dedication to SolarCity and our vision. You ... More

9. "It was a very good experience, the staff listens to you and will answer your questions."

Current Employee - Energy Consultant in Stockton, CA
    Current Employee - Energy Consultant in Stockton, CA

I have been working at SolarCity full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've been following solar for the last eight years, SolarCity is progresive with a great game plan. Everybody loves working here that, I've spoken too. It's the golden ticket.
    glad to be here.

Cons

I don't see any yet.

Advice to Management

Thank you for the opportunity.

Showing 8 of 2,112 reviews