SolarFlare Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated March 11, 2019

3.2
Russell Stern

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Possibly the best company I have worked for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at SolarFlare Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Collaborative company where I interact daily with people all over the world. Constant exposure to some of the smartest people in the industry.
    Fun activities and events happen at fairly regular intervals.
    Talented and knowledgable managers.
    Ability to provide input and people listen and respond.

Cons

Some very late and very early calls due to many global time zones

Oct 3, 2018 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

We want to thank you for your years of service and your review. It is employees like you that help to foster the positive culture. Thank you for all you do for Solarflare, day in and day out.

"Used to be great"

I have been working at SolarFlare Communications (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great team outside of CEO. Competitive salary. Stellar relationships in financial space

Cons

Talent is exiting as fast as possible. Company consistently changes direction.

Advice to Management

Hire management that have experience and vision. Remove current CEO. He is ruining the company.

"A/P Accounting"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at SolarFlare Communications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Friendly Environment. Happy work/home Life balance. Understanding Management that allows for time off for real life events like new baby and aging parents.

Cons

Sick days unused do not pay out. Sick time should be converted to Personal time and paid out when not used at the end of the year.

Advice to Management

Management needs to understand what Team Building means. Departments do not interact.

Nov 9, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your glowing review - we value our employees and understand work life balance (we all have families too). We also hear your advice to management, collaboration is key to any company's... More

4. "So much potential"

I have been working at SolarFlare Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company has a strong group of people who believe in what they do every day. There is plenty of team building events. There is lots of opportunity to make an impact.

Cons

communication across entire company should be stronger to enhance teams ability to engage and know what other offices are doing.

Advice to Management

continue to focus on growing!

Nov 1, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the positive feedback, we are glad you're part of the team.

"Great salary and benefits, challenging work and incredible company culture!"

Current Employee - Applications Development Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Applications Development Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at SolarFlare Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

What I really love so far about working for Solarflare is how welcoming and helpful everyone is. I was offered a position for which I didn't have enough experience in, but from day one the team in San Diego has been focused on helping me succeed. Thanks to them I feel like I have learned over a years worth of knowledge in a month. Solarflare really cares about developing their people so they are the most knowledge in the industry.

The team in San Diego is very close and hosts team bonding events in the form of hiking, outdoor BBQs and more. I truly don't see why people have rated this company so negatively.

Solarflare offered me a great salary and benefits package which included health, dental and life insurance, and a 401k. Employees even get stock options in the company if Solarflare goes public. I even get almost an entire month of vacation! That's unheard of.

Cons

Besides having to work every Friday, I can't think of anything bad to say about Solarflare!

Advice to Management

Excellent job at communicating to the up-and-coming employees about the current projects and company's plans for the future. Very easy to approach and speak to as well.

"Opinion of a single individual. Perhaps I am biased."

I have been working at SolarFlare Communications full-time

Pros

I'd like to preface this by saying my situation maybe unique. Obviously, every department, job duty, and expectation is different upon the individual working at this company.

My past experiences has been with companies big and small. Many of the things I'm about to list can be considered a "Con", but for some reason, it turned out to be a "Pro" in my case.

Work/Life balance: I feel it's great here. My department and department manager are very understanding of life emergencies or vacation requests. I work past my shift from time to time. I don't feel it happens often. However, when it happens, it's due to its necessity. I have never worked OT to create a mindless report that is meant for another VP that won't read. If I'm working OT, it's always due to an important matter.

The Company: Solarflare, based on what I know, is a start-up company and behaves much like a start up. We have been in business for 10+ years. The reason, based what I heard, is that we couldn't really find the right business model until the last 4-5 yrs. I've been here 4 years. I have seen a steady growth (not explosive, exponential growth) in the last 4 years.

The Company Culture: The Executives here are very personable. I feel this is one of the rare traits about this company. Overall atmosphere feels like a mix between family & corporate. I feel overall that people care about each other here.

The Work: We're constantly faced with new scenarios, new products, new designs, new revenue streams and new accounting treatments. For that reason, most procedures are almost pointless to write (That is in my humble opinion. Although, my department manager will likely disagree.). I can see others feeling that there's "no sense of directions", "chaos", or "poor management". Since my job duties revolved around revenue, when new products don't sell, you find another way, right? So, this is where I feel I'm particularlly biased. We don't necessarily know how much more revenue the new product will generate for us. We think it needs feature A, feature B. When it sells, Great! When it doesn't sell, we scramble to make it happen! It is chaos! It is unpredictable! For some odd reason, I feel it is a great "PRO". O well, judge it for what you will.

The Management: I can only comment about my department. This is where everyone here is different and I'm not sure you'll necessarily experience the same. As I described the work enviornment above, the situation is always changing. You can forget about procedures, standards, or employee traning. They'll only be effective to a certain extend. Since most situations are different, I mostly establish my own procedures and do the projects the way I feel is best. From time to time, I stumble. Actually, I feel I stumble more than I should. Surpringsly, there's not many "blames". I have the luxuary to acknoledge I make mistakes. I acknowledge ways to make improvements. Myself, my manager, my department, and the company move forward!! There's never any finger pointing that I see. If I have to point out one key "PRO" about Solarflare, it is that my department is not judged on hindsight. For that reason, I am in the chaos with my coworkers and we do our best. That luxury alone is why I'm very happy about working here.

That being said, Solarflare is a small company. All of us are multi-tasking and is subject area expert in our respective fields. If you don't know your area, it'll become obvious.

As I'm typing this, I wondered if the readers will feel like I'm working for HR. I don't work for HR. I'm just listing everything in my point of view. Hopefully I don't mislead anyone.

Cons

Uncertainly and unstable revenue. Possibly a little chaotic for some.

Advice to Management

I hope we continue the current company culture.

May 11, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the transparent review. We are happy to have you as a valuable part of our team. Our people are our culture and we value everyone on the team!

"Good Benefits and good work culture"

I have been working at SolarFlare Communications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Casual work environment, good team, passionate workforce
    Tech company, Work life balance
    Great benefits, free snacks, rich health insurance, paid time off and 401K Match

Cons

Home grown talent poorly, but improving with the years

Advice to Management

Promote internal hiring to management positions

May 11, 2017 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for the review. As we grow we are always looking on ways of improving our benefits. We are happy you are happy with them. As with every company starting off we experience growing pains... More

"Bad executives"

Pros

Good engineering team. Good product. Mall is very close to this location. Nice location. Free breakfast and snacks. Running out of ideas to add more.

Cons

No direction.
    Need training to schedule the projects correctly. Most of the time schedules are tight but never could make it.

Advice to Management

Choose executives of caliber

"Great Place to work"

I worked at SolarFlare Communications full-time

Pros

Great Place to work
    Fast paced
    Good pay & benefits

Cons

Need to explore other markets to accelerate growth
    Reduce burn rate

"hire and fire people in a casual manner. treat people as on demand commodity."

I worked at SolarFlare Communications full-time

Pros

There are some opportunity to learn the latest EDA tools, because the management highly like to use EDA companies to do a lot of contracting work and believe this is a good way to design great products.

Cons

Frequently let people go especially in the internal between old and new projects. not much knowledge continuity and team stability. No real road-map, no real long term plan, everything for short term purpose only. Overestimate business perspective and hire too many and later fire all. People work in a lay back style 90% the time of a project, then at the end of project, drive crazy to work 24 hours per day, compete to stay late.

Advice to Management

need to treat people with value.