SolarWinds Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
SolarWinds President, CEO, and Director Kevin B. Thompson
Kevin B. Thompson

Cons

"Sales - take the gig -> kill it on small quota-> collect check->LEAVE"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Catered lunch twice a week.
    Work with great people

Cons

- Leadership is a joke. Just because they've been there for 8 years and managed to never get fired doesn't mean they can lead and influence others to do the same.
    - A ranking member of sales leadership walked away from the company back in October. This person had been with the company for 10 years. That should tell you how the company is trending...
    - Turnover for sales is extremely high. Every two weeks people are getting cut. They are under a few class-action suits from former employees.

My advice to anybody looking at taking a sales gig at Solarwinds: Take the gig, kill it in the first few months while you're on a small quota, collect your check, and find something else. Don't commit to them because they have no desire to show any form of commitment to you.

"Comical is not even the correct word"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

co-workers - everyone can relate to the same struggle. get their number before they either quit or get let go in 2 months.

office manager - she's the glue that holds the sinking ship together.

Cons

work/life balance - None at all. A Class Action Lawsuit was given to SolarWinds back in the early part of the year. for 2 months, everyone was allowed to go home at 5 with no questions asked. On the third month, the base was bumped up to 50k. They told everyone that it was to "stay competitive" in the market. we were told to stay there late. it was implemented to keep everyone there at all hours of the night. be expected to work all hours of the night and be responsive to texts.

trust/lies - There is no trust between employees and management.

food - some might say this is a "pro". others will say it's a reason to keep you at your desk. you can be the judge of that.

sales tactics - some the industry's worst sales tactics are put on display here. you think your accounts hate SolarWinds? wait until you have to send mail merges 5 times a week. If that's not enough, your manager will finish off killing the project with a couple of blasts. management sends the same "canned" emails every week.
    Example:
    Monday - customer says PO will be in on Friday
    Tuesday - manager asks for the PO today. manager sends "pull forward" email without you knowing. customer is annoyed
    Wednesday - send a "swag" email. customer doesn't respond
    Thursday - manager sends email to customer and questions your ability as a person. forced to send a revised quote with discount. customer is mad at you
    Friday - everyone is having a panic attack and PO never comes in. customer has the PO but decides to make you wait since no one honors a timeline

I can't make this stuff up.

commission - unless you are an account executive who monitors the "sales inbox" or have an enterprise account, get used to never hitting your inflated quota. someone said 10% hit, that is a huge stretch. more like 5% hit.

advancement - try your luck as a rehire. internal promotions are a rare as finding an employee who likes the job.

Advice to Management

I don't think management will read this between the CEO ranting about how good america is with Trump in office in an email that was sent to everyone in office, directors pointing blame on everyone, and managers reminiscing of the good ole days.

"Comical"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They feed us food twice a week. It's indoors as we are in a hot climate. Gym access if you are so inclined.

Cons

Power went out today and we got this email from the CEO shortly after.

"All

Internet is working and phones are working. Power should be back on in 45 minutes or less.

Everyone should get back to their desks and go to work!"

Funny, I didn't see him roaming the halls to see who wasn't at their desks...

Advice to Management

This wouldn't help.

"Amateurish management"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds (Less than a year)

Pros

Some nice co-workers, nice physical plant, snacks, etc. You actually get pretty good feeling about the place during the interviews and when you first go in.

Cons

Not only does the management has no respect for the employees, they seem to be proud of it. It's like the sales staff are a bunch of animals in a zoo, for the management's entertainment. The self-worshiping punks in management were so drunk with their idiotic little small-time power trips, I could have EASILY sold TWICE as much as I did if it weren't for them. Instead, I sat there and pissed off customer after customer after customer and never heard from them again.

If you need to take a couple of hours off to see a doctor because you're sick, or a dentist because you have a toothache, they make you feel like a criminal; it doesn't matter if you have the Leave to take. They want you to work during lunch, work on holidays or weekends, and take a load of work home every night. You have NO life. You get together with some co-workers after work, and all everybody talks about is how they hate their jobs and how stupid the management is, especially the CEO. He is a laughingstock, an absolute idiot.

Advice to Management

Many of your customers have advanced degrees and are successful, educated, intelligent people. They do NOT like high-pressure, "car salesman" sales pitches, ringing their phones off the wall day after day after day with some stupid sales gimmick. I'd be rich if I had a dollar for every time a solid lead told me to forget it and slammed down the phone. Respect your sales personnel as experienced, skilled professionals. Let them work, let them live their lives, and SW will make twice as much money.

"Leaving any day now..."

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are a used car salesman, this is a great place to work. Cool co-workers. Food. Decent benefits. You can make good $ here.

Cons

Poorly managed on the sales side. Instead of showing value in some great products, we are forced by management (or maybe I should say micro-management) to pressure existing customers into buying right this second. It is a terrible approach andis a complete turn-off to customers who you are working hard to build relationships with.

Advice to Management

Show more faith in the abilities of the people on the sales floor. Resist the urge to stick your noses in every deal we are working just because you want it to close a day sooner. Let us use our unique abilities/personalities to be successful instead of turning us into robots who act like annoying used car salesmen. Micromanagement is ineffective and makes this place suck to work at. It kills morale and is demotivating.

"Awful place to work"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some good people at the company, lunch twice a week, products are well regarded in the market

Cons

Where to start? Your job is constantly threatened if you aren't hitting daily and weekly numbers, the managers are taught used car sales tactics, and some of the directors are completely clueless. They have just been promoted because they were either favorites or have been with the company long enough. The VP's are a complete joke and add no value to the organization, especially in sales where they provide no help other than to ask people where specific sales are. The CEO is completely inappropriate, yelling across the floor, forcing people to work ridiculous hours on days like Christmas Eve, and sending out emails pushing his Christianity agenda with bible verses and quotes. Favorites are played across the floor, so in order to hit the quotas, you have to be a favorite and receive online quotes from your manager or your director. If you aren't one of their favorites, you will struggle. Rules are bent for numerous people- for example, one rep was allowed to go on the Club trip last year and named rookie of the quarter even though he didn't earn it and had less sales than other rookie reps. He was just friends with one of the VPs outside of work. Club trip is reserved for folks who hit 100% for a full fiscal year, and he hadn't hit a quota or been there for a year yet. If you are interviewing and you ask the recruiter about the company and the glassdoor reviews, he or she is going to lie to you as well. Also, most great reviews you read on here are either written by management or they asked a rep to write a great review on here.

Advice to Management

None- they don't listen to anyone regardless

"The Fish Rots from the Head!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the smartest people work in the Boulder office, the first floor rules! Work in a beautiful city in a beautiful state!

Cons

During the time I worked for Solarwinds, I was ridiculed, degraded, bullied and manipulated by the Corporate Services Department in the Austin office; HR and my manager was very much aware and DID NOTHING! I was not the only person whom was treated with such disdain; the CEO was also very much aware and did nothing! (My manager actually told me to let the bullying continue, if I didn’t I may not have a job) The executive staff thrives, values and applauds this kind of behavior; it absolutely comes from the top! Extreme blatant favoritism and severe hypocritical attitudes are monumental issues within the company. Unethical, wrongful and actionable behavior is prevalent and creates a hostile work environment; this absolutely comes from the top!

Advice to Management

“Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to.”

"Breaking the silence"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds full-time

Pros

The SolarWinds products are solid (applause to the developers). And if a salesperson works hard - which should be a standard expectation by any company comprised of competent adults - he/she can earn a solid living. The kicker comes in the amount of emotional abuse and professional injustice this person is willing to endure to attain financial success. I was very successful at SolarWinds. I departed on my own volition after reaching a peak level of manager-induced stress that far outweighed the worth of my paycheck. The truth is that there are no pros, apart from attainment potential. But that will only last as long as a person can endure and/or tune out managerial noise and rhetoric. The smoke-and-mirrors nonsense begins with the CEO and drips down to his band of minions. I had to get out to maintain my sanity, as well as establish a true career path.

As many Glassdoor reviewers have pointed out, there are all the unhealthy snacks you can stomach. If you like your snacks with a side of unconscionable rule by intimidation and treatment more suited for Marine grunts, then the whole SolarWinds gig might be one big pro!

Cons

Relentless bullying and condescension from all levels of management. It's what they're taught to do - and threatened to do - if they want to advance up the ranks of the fraternal order of tyrants. Nobody is truly happy at SolarWinds, including the CEO, who once needed bodyguards at his home because he has pushed a disgruntled employee to the brink of rationality. That should scream loudly about the climate that has been set. I regard myself as a rational person, and my good sense was tested daily near the end of my tenure.

If you want an idea about the kind of individual who "thrives" at SolarWinds, read a review that precedes mine entitled "Haters Gon Hate" (that is, if you can get past the deplorable grammar from someone who clearly drank too much of the punch). Congratulations to the author; he has hit his professional ceiling. You see, respectable companies don't sink so low as your beloved SolarWinds in their corporate values and treatment of employees. You may make a good paycheck, but you won't ever know how good freedom feels in your career. And quite honestly, you're getting what you deserve.

Advice to Management

Take the stuff being written here to heart. Cast off your soon-to-be privatized company to someone with real values. Do the world a favor, Mr. Thompson, and retire.

You have a 2.9 Glassdoor rating, SolarWinds. 2.9!!!! Even worse, it's only that high because of the propaganda reviews written by managers (or their coerced underlings) intended to get the star score up. Fewer than half of your current and former employees who have weighed in here approve of Kevin Thompson. And even fewer of these employees would recommend working at the company to another person. This is shameful and should absolutely embarrass you!

Yet I know you don't care because that's simply how arrogant you are. This mentality will ultimately bite you back, and then the gig will be up. When it does, the spectators who "get it" better than you do will be ready to scoop up the worthwhile talent that you never valued, then go win with integrity.

"Great products; Bad management"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Product sells itself. Smart co-workers

Cons

From the top down I have never experienced a worse management team. Very disconnected from reps

Advice to Management

Employee morale is important. "The model" of hard pressure with over contact was necessary in the rapid growth/start-up stage. Solarwinds is established now. Open your eyes and make the appropriate adjustments. I used to love my job... Hopefully it changes soon or you will be stuck with a revolving door of newbie sales reps

"Inside Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Boulder, CO

Pros

The office is in Boulder, which is way better than Austin

Cons

Your an underpaid, under respected indentured servant. Management very well may tell you to do something inappropriate to a vendor in order to receive a PO. No HR to report to when said comments are made.

Advice to Management

Stop being creepy people from Texas. Go back to Texas