SolarWinds Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
SolarWinds President, CEO, and Director Kevin B. Thompson
Kevin B. Thompson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Smart people, free lunch twice a week (in 51 reviews)

• Free lunch twice a week, free sodas (in 36 reviews)

Cons

1. "Join Solarwinds IT department at your own peril"

Former Employee - Lead Systems Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Lead Systems Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunch 3x a week, though the catering companies chosen have become less appealing during the last 12-18 months

Cons

Upper management of the IT department doesn't trust any of the engineers and practices extreme micro management. Only those who are good at kissing-butt and sucking up to upper management are able to be promoted to positions of leadership. Middle management caused an extremely toxic environment and was the primary reason the Systems team lost 3/4 of its personnel in less than 3 months and replaced them with much less experience personnel and a much lower pay rate. Broken promises!!!

Advice to Management

Start owning up to commitments to your employees and follow through on promises. A thorough review of upper/middle management of the IT department should be conducted.

"Sales... sweatshop but easy money"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

For an inside sales position, it really doesn't require much brainpower or talent to make great money here. What decides your success at SW will be the office politics and if you are favored enough to get the "good leads." While there are many cons of this company, WHICH I REALLY URGE YOU TO CONSIDER before taking a position here, this is a pretty great way to get your foot in the door for someone with no software sales experience.
    Free lunch on Tuesday & Friday, stocked snack bar, coffee, RedBull galore, etc.
    Amazing products for a great price, it really can sell itself so you're never really having to "hunt" for the sale.

Cons

The biggest and most common complaint you'll see and I've experienced is that the majority of management is incompetent. There are a few good leaders here, but they normally don't last too long because they can easily find a better culture in this industry. It truly seems to start from the top, however I think I've actually only met our President once, which is an example of how out-of-touch he is with the actual sales floor and what it's like to actually sell our products.

Included in this lack of even decent management:

- Terrible morale on the sales floor (many reps always threatened with being put on a "Performance Improvement Plan" before they get fired... when in actuality there is no plan to help them improve).
    - Constant realignments of the sales org and dramatic changes that make it hard for even the historically best performers to hit quota (only 6% hit last quarter)...
    - That is... if you get a quota. We didn't get ours until halfway through the quarter of Q4 2017. I guess it's not the worst, when they were so unrealistic that 92% of the sales team did not hit. Yikes!
    - No training or development plans. HR rolled out a "Roadmap 4 Results" program that is supposed to be used to qualify us for merit based raises, professional development plans, etc. but I have yet to see or hear of anything come from this.
    - Micromanagement that makes our customers hate our sales process. Curious what they think? Do a simple Google search of "SolarWinds sales reddit"
    - HR. Wow. Just so many HR infractions that at this point I'm surprised the Labor Board hasn't gotten involved.
    - If you are looking at actually growing in a sales profession, this is not the place for you. You will be constantly pressured to use tired and archaic sales tactics circa 1996, while no one is ever encouraged to even pick up a book or read an article on the latest software sales trends.

Advice to Management

+ It starts with the top. A constant complaint that pervades throughout the company, but no changes have been made.
    + I can really only speak to the sales side, but start being realistic about what numbers your reps can hit so that you are not beating them down to in turn beat their customers down so that they get the deal this week vs next (I mean we have a quarterly quota).
    + A performance evaluation and survey by HR that actually affects a change in the org; for example - eliminating useless management AND reps that aren't actually doing anything to make the company more successful.

3. "Needs some work"

I worked at SolarWinds full-time

Pros

Free lunch 2 twice a week, some really good people, strong products.

Cons

Constant change in multiple leadership roles. Some office politics. No real advancement path. Cash cow for the private investors until they spin it public again.

Advice to Management

Nothing is going to change until a new CEO comes in. There are good products and some good people. If you join, understand it will most likely be a short-term role and have a plan to move out when needed or looking for a promotion.

4. "Non equitable benefits: check PTO and healthcare"

Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people, free lunch twice a week

Cons

While salaries feel in line, overall comp and benefits are not. PTO and healthcare are poor. Don't look for good paternity or maternity leave or anything for adoptive parents. You won't find it here.

Executive management seesaw on goals in a way that would be funny if it weren't so upsetting for all the people who really want to see projects to the end. (Focus more old shoring up old products! No! Focus on these new products! No! Focus on acquisitions!)

Advice to Management

You need to keep the same objectives for at the very least 18 months or you will never accomplish anything

Your HR department is not giving you a good overview of the market. I expect you to be losing qualified candidates given your total comp.

5. "Great Pay, Horrible Management"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SolarWinds (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay, great PTO and fun people

Cons

horrible management. they change policy on you whenever they feel convenient. plus they don't even give quotas out until month 2 of the quarter

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and Lower Management is excellent

Cons

Senior Management is unchanging, harsh, narrow minded and in my opinion lazy. They constantly move your quota based upon their personal whims and needs. They also micromanage and will grill you on every little thing they disagree with in your approach.

Advice to Management

First, get a new CEO. Second, make the standards consistent. There were times when I didn't know my Quota for the quarter till half way through the quarter in question.

7. "Sales Enablement"

I worked at SolarWinds full-time

Pros

Free lunch twice a week

Cons

Everything. HR/training leadership doesn't have a clue how to run an onboarding program, it is simply a matter of greeting butts in seats to fill the positions of the people that the sales managers will force out of the company. Pay is below average and they don't care about you as a individual. No work life balance they expect 10 hours a day and don't plan to take time off.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting people to management positions just because they have time with the company make suture they are qualified for the position.

8. "sales"

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great office and great benefits.

Cons

Very aggressive sales model. You will be made to fell uncomfortable daily as a motivation technique.

"Watch Out for Corporate Politics"

Current Employee - Marketing Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Marketing Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds (More than a year)

Pros

nice pay and workable hours. The accommodations are great - sodas, water, snacks, games (that nobody plays), etc.

Cons

managerial incest - they cater to cover for each other and newbies be damned; watch your back; two faces on most individual execs. HR is ineffective and bows to the higher command.

Advice to Management

Pandering to a single-minded CEO cripples the company's true earnings future, stagnates innovation and toxically infects the executives.

"Austin Solarwinds HQ"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They feed you a lot and host fun company outings. Pay is good if you're right out of college and you can make good money there.

Cons

I would say don't work there. You can make good money(easily 80k if you're a good sales person) but you are expected to sell a ridiculous amount of product every month and then sell even more the next month and they are prone to changing the numbers on the fly so you don't make you're quota. Also managers are constantly micro managing you to call and email multiple times per day for every cold lead no matter how fake they are. Literally people don't do a whole lot the first three weeks and then panic at the end of the month and whoever doesn't sell gets fired. So the morale is super low and then no one cares for three weeks and then everyone panics again. Like clockwork hahaha. The products themselves are very good but honestly software is such a commodity at this point and the customer has been conditioned to wait until they get over 50% off discount(always at the end of the month because people are desperate for the sale) so it's really a rat race to get nowhere over there. Plus they change things all the time and recently they tiered their sales teams (basically the best teams have accounts and the worst teams ONLY call leads that come in through the website which are mostly fake) so quality of life really changes from team to team. Plus Austin is suuuper expensive so if you are making good money a lot will go to your cost of living.