SolarWinds Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
SolarWinds President, CEO, and Director Kevin B. Thompson
Kevin B. Thompson

Cons

1. "Software Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds (More than a year)

Pros

Great location in Austin. Free lunches on Tuesdays and Fridays.

Cons

Salespeople leaving the office before 6pm is frowned upon. Taking a day off is often questioned. If you hear somebody say SolarWinds is like Dell used to be, they're probably referring to the Dell Sweatshop days. Salespeople are considered disposable and not valued much by SolarWinds.

Advice to Management

SLOW DOWN and take care of your customers first. Prioritize your employees and customers above the quarterly number (and your bonuses).

"Kill me now"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The swag and team outings are nice

Cons

SCARE TACTICS! Heavily used by management.

Advice to Management

Stop the scare tactics to your employees and customers.

3. "Terrible work culture"

Former Contractor - Digital Coordinator in Austin, TX
    Former Contractor - Digital Coordinator in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The friends I made and the kitchen they provide.

Cons

The company culture is terrible. The CEO only cares about the sales teams and expects the rest of the company to fit into his mold.

Advice to Management

Stop lying. Be transparent.

"It's Fine"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch twice a week, free sodas. Good launching pad into something better or more lucrative. Made a lot of friends there. The 'culture' isn't great, but a lot of the people are.

Cons

If you're reading this, you probably read other reviews as well. So I won't belabor what's obvious based on the existing reviews. Good sales people will probably do well, bad sales people won't. There is some favoritism, but I suppose that's the case everywhere. It's not as bad as others may say, but it's not that great either.

Advice to Management

Positivity > Negativity

"isr"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Lehi, UT

Pros

made good friends with colleagues.

Cons

Go look look up Micro management. This place is God awful and will suck the life out of you

"Great products, Toxic culture from top down."

I worked at SolarWinds (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch 2x week. free soda and snacks. There are some departments that are run well. Great products.

Cons

Culture is toxic. Fear of failure is highly instilled in the top layers of management, causing "blame game" behavior in many departments of the company. Employees are not trusted . They are micro-managed to death . Not only is there no positive feedback, but employees are regularly criticized for irrelevant issues, or style differences by their managers. This has caused the loss of many great employees.

Advice to Management

You claim to value your employees, but you don't trust them to do their jobs. Complete culture change is needed from the top-down. Your products will only take you so far.

"This place is a trainwreck"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful office on a nice campus (on-site gym, Starbucks and cafe). Company provided lunch twice weekly. Lots of snacks and drinks. I was compensated well for the work I did.

Cons

Total lack of company values. The attrition rate at SolarWinds is insane. People come and go at an unheard of pace. There is no guiding principle in hiring people, and the true culture is a culture of "get downloads" (the company's driving business metric). Once people come in the door and see how crazy the download hyper focus is, they leave quickly.

The organization is restructured nearly every quarter, which is a complete distraction. The CEO is nuts and the company problems stem from the top. This place is highly dysfunctional.

Advice to Management

Get a new CEO

"Listen to the reviews and think twice"

I worked at SolarWinds (More than a year)

Pros

- There are some really smart folks that are just fantastic to work with. Those people make it a joy to be there. Unfortunately, the toxic ones ruin it for everyone.
     - The offices are wonderful. Like every other review, there are 2 lunches provided a week--albeit not terribly healthy lunches, but it's definitely nice to have it as an option.
     - They've hired in some new leaders, so hopefully they can keep them and start to turn the ship to make SolarWinds a great company and place to work. While their ability to hit their numbers has always been impressive, it's been at the expense of real progress -- lots of hamsters in wheels generating power for the almighty lead machine.
     - Benefits are good. Insurance is good with domestic partner benefits.

Cons

- Culture is toxic. I was warned about it before taking the job, but was assured from insiders that things were changing. Well, they may have been changing, but if so, I'd hate to see what it was like before.
     - Office is so far south that it's difficult to attract talent.
     - They preach work/life balance, but it's not a reality. The only way you will have it is if you make it yourself, and then it's often frowned upon.
     - They are incredibly behind the times on all of their technologies and integrations. They've customized everything to the point that the software and tools they pay for aren't usable and any attempts to improve aren't welcomed. More of a "throw more bodies in another country at it" attitude.
     - There's a strange tribal belief in weird data points that don't make sense. Analytics and data are a huge weakness.
     - The CEO's Jesus emails are something else. And apparently he's toned them down a bit. it's the "I'm a big Christian, but you better be at work on Christmas Eve until I say so" kind of deal.

Advice to Management

- Trust your people. They're intelligent professionals who can get their jobs done. There shouldn't be a need for butts in chairs over holidays or any other time. Your professionals can get the job done from anywhere.
     - Come up with a strategy and stick with it. The constant waffling back and forth creates a fire-drill culture and one where change is constant -- in a bad way.
     - Ditch the toxic competitive culture. It rolls down the hill, big time. Instead create a winning culture that values teamwork vs. backstabbing. You really do have some great leaders if you'll trust them and let them lead vs. micromanaging them constantly.

"Former Sales Rep"

Former Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great on resume, fast paced environment lends itself to quick learners. Free lunches twice a week. Flexible on-boarding process, can make immediate impact on earnings...especially if you luck out and get handed some nice accounts. But if you have previous Sales experience, just keep looking. This is really an entry-level sales gig.

Cons

Unfortunately the Sales culture is garbage and the recent acquisition/stock option buyouts mostly rewarded leadership only (admittedly there were some arbitrary sales people who had stock options too but for the most part no one but the upper echelon benefitted from the Sales Floor's hard work). Zero sense of ownership in the company, even after nearly 5 years of "driving growth". I will say that SolarWinds was good to me and my family for about 2 years...after that...it became a dead-end Sales job driven by selfish Executive "leadership". If you're reading this and disagree, then sit back and enjoy your stock option buyout. It must be nice.

Advice to Management

This is mostly for Executive Leadership because I worked for a great Director who deserves your job more than you do. Just consider yourself lucky, that's all, because you taught me nothing about personal growth, work/life balance, integrity, professional acumen, or self-respect. You only encouraged belittling management styles, infuriating sales tactics (both for the sales rep and the customer) and spoon-fed those people you saw fit to promote. That's why you're so offended by Sales Managers and Sales Directors leaving the company now. You never intended to encourage growth in their careers...just yours. And you're welcome for the recent buy-out, I'm glad that my extra effort and time away from my family was not a complete waste.

"Factory Environment"

Former Employee - Program Marketing Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Program Marketing Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good pay and benefits.
    - Never a dull moment. Fast-moving, challenging project work.
    - For the most part, team members and group leaders are very intelligent, talented and hard-working.
    - If you can succeed and thrive within this organization, you will be able to succeed and thrive almost anywhere else due to the nature of the fast-paced, demanding work environment.

Cons

- Factory mentality with regards to employees. Employees are considered and treated as replaceable cogs in the machine.
    - Taking time off for holidays/vacations is frowned upon. Leadership wants butts in seats. Thus, no work-life balance.
    - Due to the nature of the company's core business model, marketing is not a valued asset within the larger organization. As a result, marketing campaigns are approached very tactically as opposed to strategically. This leads to incessant start-stops and pointless fire drills.
    - Preference to hire from without as opposed to promoting from within.
    - Some legacy employees can be very territorial, which leads to less collaboration at best and hard-walled silos and obstruction at worst.

Advice to Management

Simply comments. No advice... The company has been very successful under it's current model, so I cannot critique the business at large. However, my experience was quite negative due to the oppressive culture promulgated by that same model... Just one person's opinion.