SolarWinds Reviews | Glassdoor

5.0
SolarWinds President, CEO, and Director Kevin B. Thompson
Kevin B. Thompson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free lunch twice a week, causal dress (in 50 reviews)

• Free lunch twice a week, free sodas (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Sweatshop, no work life balance (in 29 reviews)

• No work life balance they expect 10 hours a day and don't plan to take time off (in 12 reviews)

1. "Sr. IT Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great people, good working culture with IT

Cons

There are no cons working for IT at Solarwinds.

2. "Great Company with a strong future"

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to influence and drive positive changes is awesome.
    Engineering teams are incredibly smart people
    Great perks free lunches, parties, etc.), great people, great culture
    Cloud (SaaS) products are awesome
    Newly hired leadership is very strong.

Cons

Not supportive of remote employees
    Delayed making required changes too long

Advice to Management

The changes which are happening are spot on. Support them and evolve faster.

3. "Renewals"

Current Employee - Renewal Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Renewal Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company has a great balance of fun and work. The pace is fast and you need to move right along with it. It is a company that you can believe in and the products and service they provide are truly worth representing.

Cons

Not much, but it would be nice to have a work from home option, occasionally.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!

4. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Maintenance Renewals Representative in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Maintenance Renewals Representative in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great benefits, great pay, great culture! will push you to improve!

Cons

Long hiring process.....HR is very slow to respond for follow ups

"I get to do what I love"

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

People who have little to no experience, get a chance to excel here and make amazing salaries and carve out a great career.

Cons

You actually have to work hard. Not a con, just a fact.

Advice to Management

Be more interactive with your team and get to know them personally. Build relationships with them and let them know you care about them personally.

"Unexpected and Interesting"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've read all kinds of reviews of people trashing this place. Personally my experience has been drastically different here at Solarwinds. The training here is 90 days with a bonus for those who pass exams, they adequately train you with SME's who understand the technical side AND the sales motion to give you the best chance of understanding your role, and they allow plenty of time to get your trainings done.
    I don't know where people get off saying management doesn't care about the employees as they were more than willing to work with me and my family's needs to keep us insured and worked hard to keep me happy during on boarding.
    The pay is much better than what I was making at my previous employer with the room to grow and increase my earning potential.
    They feed you twice a week here from local vendors which is nice to cut down on lunch costs and they offer all the RedBull/ soda/ coffee/ and snacks you could ask for everyday.
    For those looking to join the Solarwinds family understand the people who blast this place have a bone to pick because they were probably fired because they didn't take the job seriously. This is an adult job, willing to pay a nice adult salary/commission/bonus rate, so come prepared to work like an adult. If you are expecting to be able to show up to check your Facebook, Twitter account or YouTube half the day and hit your number you probably won't.
    The atmosphere here is refreshing and positive from what I've been able to see. I've never seen so many people willing to go out of their way for complete strangers as well as smile around the office. I've never been asked to work from home as I'm an in office worker only so there's a clear cut work/life balance.

Cons

I've not seen much to change so far as this place is a breath of fresh air from where I came from. If you are looking to coast or expect to make six figures for little to no effort this isn't the job for you. If you like to work hard and want a company to compensate you handsomely for your efforts then give SWI a shot. I'm referring several friends.

"Best Finance and Accounting Career Move I Ever Made"

Current Employee - Finance/Accounting
    Current Employee - Finance/Accounting

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are so many perks to working at SolarWinds! I have been an employee in the Finance area for over 5 years and can say I have enjoyed the work, the atmosphere, and the company culture. They truly are focused on promoting from within which I can attest to from my own personal experience. The work is challenging and the Company is ever changing with new acquisitions etc. I can say I have never been bored here and have always felt that they care about my career and about growing me as an individual. If you enjoy a challenge and want to work hard (and play hard of course) this is the place for you.

On the forefront some of the perks include semi-annual bonus plans, extensive vacation days, great 401k matching, catered lunches twice a week, snack bins and free coffee and sodas. Other perks include company outings, happy hours, and of course a flexible schedule as needed once you have proven yourself to management. The Finance Group truly values their employees and if you work hard for them they will "go to bat for you".

The quarterly Company meetings are a definite plus. They at a high level explain what is going on in the business and what our focus should be in the next several months. It gets everyone motivated to work as an organization to make it happen.

Cons

Sometimes we move and change so quickly it is hard to know precisely how this will impact each department. Quick communication about plans for acquired companies etc would be beneficial. This could be communicated down from Senior Management etc on a smaller scale so that we truly know how our day to day is going to be impacted.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on integrating your ever changing subsidiaries. This has been a struggle from the beginning given the speed of how fast we operate to make sure all aspects of the Company are in the know about changes etc. At time Finance seems to be the last to know when really we should have been involved in decisions at the on-set of certain changes.

Identify your talent and work to keep them happy and content. The newly implemented R4R program should help streamline much of this process.

8. "Data Infrastructure Engineer"

Current Employee - Data Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Data Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, small team, agile, good tech stack, challenging

Cons

I do not have anything to say

9. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great compensation plan, Terrific technology your prospects WANT to purchase.

Cons

At the time, the territories would change every quarter. This did encourage quick closure, and the thought was "win some/lose some" with deals that were then sent over to the new rep. Sadly, I lost more than I won (like to think it was because I teed more up than most). I did not like the lack of ongoing customer relationships.

10. "Great products, great employees and awesome energy."

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Passion for growth AND profitability. Startup-like adaptability. Rly talented, passionate and diverse employees that are hungry for success and career paths.

Cons

Our success is a secret! It takes courage and confidence to take on the big enterprise vendors. SWI has the talent and products to succeed in all markets.