SolarWinds Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
SolarWinds President, CEO, and Director Kevin B. Thompson
Kevin B. Thompson

Pros
  • Free lunch twice a week, causal dress (in 45 reviews)

• Free lunch twice a week, free sodas (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • Not a place to work if you are looking for work - life balance (in 27 reviews)

• There is absolutley NO WORK LIFE BALANCE (in 9 reviews)

"Great place to work and professional grow."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

SolarWinds is a fast paced dynamic place to work and I have found it to be a great fit for me. The quality of the team here is very high and I find it challenges me to grow and reach almost daily. The executive team is the best I have ever worked for. We are cutting edge in our industry and are not afraid to try new things and learn from them. The leaders not only set the direction, but actually take responsibility for the success or lack of. I would and have recommended SolarWinds as a great place to work to my close friends.

Cons

It is a high energy place all the time. Sometimes the pace can get tiring when you do not take enough personal time. Secondly, we have a challenge with scope creep. As in any small company, it can necessitate that you take on roles that you might not have in larger companies. Keeping the balance between being a team player and maintaining focus on the areas you own can be challenging. I am honestly challenged with enough material to fill in this space to meet the word requirements.

Advice to Management

None, they do an awesome job.

"Fun, energetic and fast paced-just like i like it :)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Deep technical knowledge, good people, good pay/benefits, free lunch twice a week, flexible PTO and good Work/Life balance

Cons

Promotions are vaguely awarded, knowledge sharing is poor-no internal wiki or intranet with IT, HR or other information-for a technical company-really?

Advice to Management

None, I'm not qualified to advise senior management :)

"A great place to jump in and make things happen"

Current Employee - Sales Role in Post Falls, ID
    Current Employee - Sales Role in Post Falls, ID

Pros

Great Culture, Good pay, once a week catered lunches

Cons

Just a bit far from where I live, not too bad.

Advice to Management

A little more training curve

"One of the most rewarding jobs I have ever had."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Austin, TX

Pros

Great management, competitive salary and benefits, great work environment, great city, very laid back style, company gives back when it does well, open door policy with all levels of management

Cons

Slow advancement in company, lots of outside hires.

Advice to Management

Keep buying companies

6. "Challenging but rewarding. A get it done type of place."

Current Employee - Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time

Pros

SolarWinds is fast paced, dynamic, and definitely rewards people who know how to come in and get things done. You can advance quickly here if you demonstrate understanding of the model. Lots of room for company growth, the future is bright!

Cons

You are going to read a lot of bad reviews of SolarWinds on this site because we go through a lot of people. New hires either love it or hate it due to the pace and the working style. Lots of turnover on the sales floor, but there are a lot of sales people who have made it through the first few quarters and then do really well. You have to decide for yourself whether this is a good place for you.

"The best is yet to come"

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Post Falls, ID
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Post Falls, ID

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

401k matching and profit sharing bonuses that are hard to find in companies these days

Cons

SolarWinds is growing so fast and making so many acquisitions that there are a lot of growing pains (but also opportunity for growth)

"Most rewarding job I have had in Austin."

Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Pay... great perks... great hours.
    Perfect for someone with a competitive nature.
    Successful people are recognized.

Cons

It's a Grind like no other.
    Competition amongst internal departments.
    Way to many people calling into accounts.

"Challenging and Rewarding"

Current Employee - Manager - Strategy in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager - Strategy in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I believe the best rewards are the ones you’ve worked hard to earn. That’s SolarWinds in a nutshell. Hard work, but great rewards.
    - Bright, hard-working co-workers. At many places, I’ve had to work with an underperforming team member. You end up doing much of their work and your own. Under performers are not tolerated here. I personally find that to be a relief, but it does make for a different culture.
    - Interesting work. It is fun to see your work ship and customers use it.
    - Good compensation, including 401k matching
    - Opportunities for career growth. I started as worker bee and I progressed through senior and lead positions. I am now in management.

Cons

- Need to be firm on work/life boundaries
    - Not having the time to excel on projects

Advice to Management

Invest in the core products. And give your employees time to reset - more vacation days and PTO would be helpful.

10. "Awesome company to work with great pay, career advancement, and small company feel!"

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast Paced, Energetic Staff, Great pay, ATTAINABLE quotas (for the sales folks out there) free lunches two days per week, sodas, snacks are free, and the staff feels like family. I've been here three years and have been on two fully paid club trips Florida and Costa Rica. I was able to bring family along with me and it was a blast. I've also had the opportunity give suggestions to improve processes, and see those go into affect and help us do better as a team. Overall fantastic place to work!!! If you're looking for a small company feel, but with big company money then this is your place.

Cons

Only cons would be that we have growing pains associated with adding products via acquisitions. Some of the products are hard to learn and sell, but overall it keeps you thinking and on your toes.

Advice to Management

Start building features into our existing products versus purchasing companies, and for gods sake please simplify our licensing. I've been here for years and still have trouble explaining it to customers. A simple node based licensing would work with 90% of our products.

11. "Never a dull moment..."

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

SWI challenges their employees to continuously strive for the best. Sure, you work hard and the expectations are high, but you're are given the tools to succeed in your job and rewarded for hard work. It's a dynamic, and constantly changing environment due to the innovation of the executive staff. The new location is beautiful, and offers stunning views of the hill country. Employees are given soft perks like catered lunch twice a week, a game room with a pool table, foosball table, TV's, free coffee/water/snacks and other cool company sponsored activities. It's nice to be able to take a break and play a game of shuffleboard with coworkers. Overall, the adage 'work hard, play hard' is alive and well at SolarWinds.

Cons

The commute from North Austin down Mo-Pac can be grueling.