SolarWinds Reviews | Glassdoor

SolarWinds Reviews

Updated August 18, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free lunch twice per week in the Dundee office (in 48 reviews)

• Free lunch twice a week, causal dress (in 32 reviews)

Cons

"Great future but the company has no 'soul'"

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

SolarWinds has recently hired some great executives that are finally rebuilding the "Product DNA" of the company. Recent product releases and current roadmaps are really promising. It's exciting to see what the future holds for SolarWinds.

Cons

The organizational structure is a mess. It is somewhat of a matrix structure but not fully. The result is that there is not one clear owner, so all important decisions have to flow to the CEO.
    The culture is quite toxic. The CEO's quarterly kick off meetings are all the same: sports metaphors and "work harder, faster, more. If you don't like it get out."
    Important positions are getting filled by outside hires, not from within which indicates that there is no trust in employees that have been around for a while. I don't have concrete numbers but I hear that churn is quite high, particularly in sales (which is not surprising).

Advice to Management

Trust your employees more. Push decisions down. Define clear ownership. Give ICs and managers enough rope to either hang themselves or do great things. Right now, the company is suffocating in red tape.

"Job felt like torture"

Former Employee - Finance in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Finance in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food twice a week. Free drinks and snacks. Free internet. Gym on site. Nice building. Some of the people there are really great. Some.

Cons

This place is big on drinking the kool-aid. Being successful at SW is about being a follower and doing what you are told. If you like to think outside the box this is not the place for you. If you like challenging yourself and giving 110%, this is not the place for you.

This is the place for people who are OK with subpar work and subpar ideas. This place is the "this is how we have always done it" of businesses. Management is absolutely terrible. No guidance, no support, no knowledge of how other parts of the business work, no willingness or drive to improve or be more efficient.

This is a place people go to get a check. They all are EXCELLENT at pretending like that's why they aren't really there, they sit up straight when the CEO walks by and stay late on days when they know he'll be walking around to see who is still in the office. It's all a fake show to keep him happy.

You will be micromanaged to death. They watch when you come and go and hound you about being in the office 8 hours even though there is only maybe 1 or 2 hours worth of work to do. When you ask for more work so you don't want to jump off the building out of boredom, there is nothing to give you to do.

I watched so many brilliant, talented, passionate people come and go at Solarwinds. It made me realize that I didn't want to be one of the ones who settled for mediocre and stayed.

Advice to Management

Take a good look at your management skill level and staffing needs. You paid me for almost two years worth of salary to do as close to nothing as possible. I did my work in about 1-2 hours per day. I begged for more work to do on a weekly basis. Begged to help other departments. You could have saved 2 years worth of salary just by hiring a more competent manager in the department i worked for.

For CEO: As much as i didn't care for your "god is great" e-mails, your all hands meetings were great and motivating and gave me hope. It's just a shame nobody I met in management shares that enthusiasm about your company.

"Great perks!"

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time

Pros

Great company culture! Casual atmosphere. Free beverages, snacks, and weekly meals. Fun monthly activities. Beautiful office.

Cons

Long nights sitting at your desk.

"New management additions helping things to move in the right direction"

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time

Pros

Smart people
    Good Products
    Free Lunches twice a week

Cons

Too many approval layers for minor expenditures

5. "Sales"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The products are amazing, generally pretty easy to sell since we're #1 in the market. You can meet some great people here as well. Base salary is pretty decent for being able to show up to work wearing whatever you want and talking on the phone all day.

Cons

You've probably read the other reviews or heard the stories... It's not the WORST place to work, but is definitely not a place you want to stay long term. Management uses a lot of scare tactics and is often cheap/slimey about their sales process. Anything to bring the deal in sooner, as opposed to actually selling from a consultative approach with clients. Very much a churn and burn atmosphere which is why turnover is so high.

Advice to Management

Scare tactics and cheap sales techniques won't keep your top producers for long.

"Extreme Stress- Very high pay"

Pros

Most people in the tech industry know of Solarwinds. They know if you can make it 6 months to a year here, you can make it anywhere.

Pretty good pay structure.
    Great benefits

Cons

Sweatshop, no work life balance.
    Very few people actually hit quota.
    High turn over rate. 86% before the first year

Advice to Management

Management means well but they have their bosses coming down on them for unrealistic goals which over pushes their reps to strive for unrealistic goals which is why most reps break after 6 months.
    Set actual quotas and goals and you will have much less attrition.

"Sales"

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay, benefits, and people.

Cons

PTO is not allowed and working the holidays is mandatory.

8. "Data Infrastructure Engineer"

Current Employee - Data Engineer in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Data Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, small team, agile, good tech stack, challenging

Cons

I do not have anything to say

"Worst place I ever worked"

Former Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Product Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Maybe the lunches? I don't know, I just feel like 2+ years of my life were wasted here. But... since my manager was border-line incompetent at estimating how long things would take, I did all my work early and work seldom required my attention for more than 1/4th my day. Not really a pro, but if you just want to coast you can do so really easily here.

Cons

Where to start? Massive favoritism and bonuses not given by merit or results but by how liked you are. Dishonest managers. Horrible strategy because 2/3rds of the people in charge are bad at what they do and would never get hired at the same level anywhere else. (How long did it take them to catch on that AWS was the future? Yeah... that's what happens when you put idiot marketing people in charge of product -- you're at best reactionary.) So many layers and layers of politics. And a CEO that just runs around cheering and trying to high-five people. "Woo-hoo!" That's how you know Kevin is on your floor. Not much of a future here... since I left I've been an infinitely happier person.

Advice to Management

Fire 1/2 the people in charge and focus on becoming a Results Only Work Environment, where managers don't just play favorites.

10. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great compensation plan, Terrific technology your prospects WANT to purchase.

Cons

At the time, the territories would change every quarter. This did encourage quick closure, and the thought was "win some/lose some" with deals that were then sent over to the new rep. Sadly, I lost more than I won (like to think it was because I teed more up than most). I did not like the lack of ongoing customer relationships.