SolarWinds Reviews | Glassdoor

SolarWinds Reviews

Updated July 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Free lunch twice per week in the Dundee office (in 48 reviews)

• Free lunch twice a week, causal dress (in 32 reviews)

Cons

"Fast moving company with a great culture!"

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time

Pros

- Industry leading product
    - Great culture. Company provides lunches twice a week for the entire company, has a committee that is focused on coming up with quarterly activities for the employees to have fun with, they provide each employee with a membership to our onsite gym, and the CEO promotes an atmosphere that is rewarding.
    - Solarwinds provides the challenge I was seeking when I was looking for a new opportunity. It's fast paced, challenging, and a fun place to work. Everything you'd expect from an industry leader!
    - I recently completed a training course that was sponsored by the company. It was a great course that I was able to put into play immediately.
    - Upper management is committed to being the best and it shows. I wouldn't want to work in an environment that is just trying to stay afloat. Solarwinds is carving new paths and it's an exciting time to be here.

Cons

- No cons from my point of view. I've seen some comments that say this company may work too hard but I'd rather be working for a company that strives to be the best rather than settle for mediocrity.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing to be the best!

2. "Fast growing, successful company - who wouldn't want to work here?"

Current Employee - Just Promoted in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Just Promoted in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Brand new building
    - Great company culture
    - Free lunch 2x a week
    - Supportive and lively CEO
    - Great pay/benefits with 401k matching

Cons

- Fast paced
    - Sometimes the view of downtown is obstructed

3. "Fast-Paced, Challenging, Rewarding Sales Career"

Current Employee - Sales in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Sales in Boulder, CO

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solarwinds promotes heavily from within. If you're stuck in a role with no room to grow, then pursuing a career here is the right move. If you work hard, are successful, and are a strong leader, you can quickly move into management here.

Sales at Solarwinds is competitive, fun and fast-paced. If you thrive off of sales contests/SPIFs and being at the top of the stack ranking, every day will be exciting. One minute it will be the beginning of your day and the next you'll look up from your computer and realize it's already five o'clock. The Sales teams are also supportive of each other and are always willing to help one another.

Our best-in-class products sell themselves. And Solarwinds has a lot of products! This means you can just keep selling more and more - and your prospects keep coming back.

Solarwinds is growing rapidly and invests in all of its worldwide offices and people to build teams. This include free lunch each week, team building activities (dinners, bowling, billiards, go-carting), holiday parties, office BBQs, etc.

This company is made up of A-Players. If you work here, you will be surrounded by driven, intelligent, and inspiring people. And Solarwinds rewards high performers with big paychecks.

Cons

Solarwinds expects 110% of it's employees all the time. I have never viewed this as a true "con," but that means you are held accountable for your business. This is not a place where you go for 8 hours and collect a paycheck. Sometime that means working long hours or performing when you simply don't feel like it. Keeping up that pace can be hard for some, but exhilarating for others.

This is also not a sales role where you make your own hours, work remotely, or travel to see customers. This is an office-based job, and the company relies on the energy of the sale reps in the office to build teams and promote the fun and driven atmosphere. It would be difficult to create an environment like that if people worked the hours they wanted to and did not come into the office.

"I am in love with this Company from an employee and a customer standpoint!!!"

Current Employee - Renewal Representative in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Renewal Representative in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere is amazing, the culture is wonderful! Everyone here is so helpful and the training is quick and geared to have you hit the ground running!!!

Cons

I don't have any cons

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Great company work for"

Current Employee - Technical Support in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Lehi, UT

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work environment, good management

Cons

no cons at this time

"Great Company and Even Better People"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Boulder, CO

Pros

Solarwinds is a very fast paced/competitive sales environment which I absolutely love and it does not hurt that the products are top notch as well. I have bounced around in my sales career and I have finally found an opportunity where every day matters and I have the opportunity to close business/make commissions on a consistent basis, so refreshing. I really enjoy my co-workers as everyone is ready willing and able to lend a hand when needed, this was very helpful when I first started and is still a big plus today - I would consider a lot of my co-workers as personal friends.

I really enjoy the numerous spifs rolled out by the leadership team which gives me a little extra incentive, there is nothing better than paying for my gas/groceries/shopping sprees/vacations with their money.

Cons

The downloads have been a challenge at times however the marketing team is always willing to listen and tries to resolves issues as quickly as possible, my manager usually has something for me to do when needed as well. The only other negative is turnover however that happens in any sales organization or at least the ones I have been a part of so not a big con but I hate to see people leave.

Advice to Management

Keep the positive energy flowing, it is refreshing/motivating when everyone is not only working hard but working together as a cohesive unit. Consider adding more sales/leadership positions in Boulder, you have a great group of sales folks here and I know I am not the only one that would like to grown my carer in this company.

7. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - Helpdesk in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Helpdesk in Lehi, UT

I worked at SolarWinds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Family oriented environment, great employees, great benefits, stocked kitchen (drinks, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, snacks), free lunch on Fridays

Cons

Growing office. Along with a growing office came growing pains. They are expanding quickly.

8. "great place to work"

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time

Pros

great people
    awesome culture
    solid products
    management that cares about its people

Cons

building is kept cold
    would prefer snacks that are a bit healthier (but hey, they are free snacks none the less)

"Sales organization employee - Very happy, love my job"

Current Employee - Sales Organization Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Organization Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have only been at SolarWinds a short time, but so far, my experience has been excellent. SolarWinds is a growth-oriented, fast-paced and intense work environment, but I like that. The pay is outstanding and the benefits are good (though I do pay a little more for and get a little less from my health insurance, compared to my previous job). I really like the people I work with and I am very happy with my manager.

I came from a mature industry with declining growth and a pervasive sense of impending doom that infected everything and everyone. I cannot tell you how refreshing it is to be at a company that is high-growth and forward-thinking. I came from an industry where it seemed upper management was constantly grasping at straws trying to find something, anything, that would right a floundering ship. I cannot tell you how much of a relief it is to be at a company that has a proven sales model to which everyone adheres. I know what I am expected to do, how I am expected to do it, and what I will earn (which is a LOT) if I am successful doing so.

I read some of the negative reviews on Glassdoor before I started, and was a little concerned. That concern proved to be unfounded. Frankly, if you don't like the model, if you're not happy with what you are earning, if it's not clicking for you, why are you still here? This approach and model aren't for everyone. That doesn't mean it doesn't work. There are a lot of very successful people here at SolarWinds that prove it does work. And I will be one of those people - because I like the intensity, I like the structure, I like the approach.

My advice to anyone considering working here: If you don't like to work hard, don't apply. If you don't think you'll like following a structured sales model, don't apply. If you don't want your manager asking you about your opportunities and your progress toward goal, don't apply. But if you're OK with all that, and you want to earn great money and have fun doing it, this is definitely the place for you.

Cons

I don't really have any cons at this point. I would point out that sometimes (especially end of month / end of quarter) we work longer hours - come in early, leave late - but that doesn't bother me. Sometimes, as the focus is on bringing in the sale, things get tense when deals slip or there's not enough in the pipeline. But it's never personal, so it doesn't bother me. If these are things that bother you, then don't work here.

10. "Maintenance Renewal - Intermediate - Great!!"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at SolarWinds full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment. Fast-paced. Decent Pay. The retirement and insurance packages are one of the best I've had. Everyone that works here becomes family.

Cons

Nothing I can see as a downside to working here. The pay could be a little better for renewal reps but its not at all unfair. Catered lunches are sometime a bit unhealthy but I've never complained.